If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Is it better to exercise? Sure. Always better to be stronger, more flexible, have more endurance, etc. But you can do those things 3, 4 or 5 days a week with at least equal results as someone exercising 7 days a week. And if you're working at high intensity, those days off become important.

Agreed. Remember, I said exercise could be as intense as weight lifting and a marathon or as casual as a long walk. I just believe we should be active every day. Wether it be purposeful exercise or NEAT.

I think the biggest contributor to my recent consistent weight loss has been increasing my NEAT. Love my fitbit as I keep trying to find ways to add more steps to my day.
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Wrong because you can always control your weight through diet no matter how little exercise you do
    –Just because you can does not mean you should. Dieting without exercising is IMO a path to disordered eating...
    which makes diet the primary component for success.
    Again I respectfully disagree...
    You can't out-exercise any diet, which makes exercise a secondary component for success.
    Not true. Again, I said within reason. That said, the physical adaptations one experiences from exercise change the game with which the body utilizes calories which again IMO, makes exercise the primary component...
    Of course people who exercise some have a higher rate of success because they have more leeway in their diet. No argument there.
    –Agreed. More leeway means better compliance which means better success...
    Well, OK. Then what exactly does daily exercise mean to you?
    –Something as simple as long walks, hikes, playing with kids to as intense as a marathon or intense weight lifting. It means being active every day. The more advanced society becomes, the lazier IMO we become.

Daily exercise is not necessary to keep weight off.
    –Absolutely disagree. Again, just because you can does not mean you should. Why make it harder on yourself by excluding something you should be doing anyway.

Clearly we're going to disagree on this one, but the notion that losing your weight solely through dieting is a path to disordered eating is just nuts to me. That's exactly how plenty of other people on this site lost their weight. I almost count among this group, except that I was doing slo-fit at the time 1x per wk (so you can figure <100 cals burned). Other than that, I had a desk job. No disordered eating here, unless you count logging. Even that gets dropped on occasion (vacations, holidays, just plain inconvenient).

And frankly, I don't see why you 'should' be exercising 7 days a week. It certainly isn't necessary for health or for weight maintenance. Many don't have to exercise at all and can be healthy and maintain their weight if they watch their diet.

Is it better to exercise? Sure. Always better to be stronger, more flexible, have more endurance, etc. But you can do those things 3, 4 or 5 days a week with at least equal results as someone exercising 7 days a week. And if you're working at high intensity, those days off become important.

Exercise is certainly not necessary for weight loss, or maintenance. There are plenty of people that are unable to exercise due to medical conditions, but they can still lose, or maintain a healthy weight through diet alone. Exercising alone won't do anything to help weight unless you also monitor intake, whether by calorie counting, or other methods. Calories in vs calories out still applies. You SHOULD exercise for optimal health, of course, but again, it's not NECESSARY for weight control. And it's certainly not NECESSARY to exercise EVERY day.

Daily physical activity is the foundation of energy balance...

Physical activity is necessary to help prevent muscle atrophy. Even if it isn't necessary to exercise daily , it is necessary to move your body in some way or another. Regardless if you are bed bound or chair bound, your muscle need to be used . Losing weight doesn't always mean it will improve health. Attempting to be active in any way possible increases the possibilities for better health and to prevent healthy decline.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Agreed. Remember, I said exercise could be as intense as weight lifting and a marathon or as casual as a long walk. I just believe we should be active every day. Wether it be purposeful exercise or NEAT.

I think the biggest contributor to my recent consistent weight loss has been increasing my NEAT. Love my fitbit as I keep trying to find ways to add more steps to my day.

:)

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    TheRealKit wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Wrong because you can always control your weight through diet no matter how little exercise you do
    –Just because you can does not mean you should. Dieting without exercising is IMO a path to disordered eating...
    which makes diet the primary component for success.
    Again I respectfully disagree...
    You can't out-exercise any diet, which makes exercise a secondary component for success.
    Not true. Again, I said within reason. That said, the physical adaptations one experiences from exercise change the game with which the body utilizes calories which again IMO, makes exercise the primary component...
    Of course people who exercise some have a higher rate of success because they have more leeway in their diet. No argument there.
    –Agreed. More leeway means better compliance which means better success...
    Well, OK. Then what exactly does daily exercise mean to you?
    –Something as simple as long walks, hikes, playing with kids to as intense as a marathon or intense weight lifting. It means being active every day. The more advanced society becomes, the lazier IMO we become.

Daily exercise is not necessary to keep weight off.
    –Absolutely disagree. Again, just because you can does not mean you should. Why make it harder on yourself by excluding something you should be doing anyway.

Clearly we're going to disagree on this one, but the notion that losing your weight solely through dieting is a path to disordered eating is just nuts to me. That's exactly how plenty of other people on this site lost their weight. I almost count among this group, except that I was doing slo-fit at the time 1x per wk (so you can figure <100 cals burned). Other than that, I had a desk job. No disordered eating here, unless you count logging. Even that gets dropped on occasion (vacations, holidays, just plain inconvenient).

And frankly, I don't see why you 'should' be exercising 7 days a week. It certainly isn't necessary for health or for weight maintenance. Many don't have to exercise at all and can be healthy and maintain their weight if they watch their diet.

Exercise is certainly not necessary for weight loss, or maintenance. There are plenty of people that are unable to exercise due to medical conditions, but they can still lose, or maintain a healthy weight through diet alone. Exercising alone won't do anything to help weight unless you also monitor intake, whether by calorie counting, or other methods. Calories in vs calories out still applies. You SHOULD exercise for optimal health, of course, but again, it's not NECESSARY for weight control. And it's certainly not NECESSARY to exercise EVERY day.

Daily physical activity is the foundation of energy balance...

Physical activity is necessary to help prevent muscle atrophy. Even if it isn't necessary to exercise daily , it is necessary to move your body in some way or another. Regardless if you are bed bound or chair bound, your muscle need to be used . Losing weight doesn't always mean it will improve health. Attempting to be active in any way possible increases the possibilities for better health and to prevent healthy decline.

+1

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    "Paleo risotto makes me laugh. Those hunter gatherers were a canny lot".

"I set my short-grain rice traps for weeks before I was able to make risotto!"

lol Actually both funny and clever responses. :)

Do what I do and drop the hunter gatherer and caveman approach and think more "eat as close to nature as possible" and honestly it all falls into place. We have an amazing variety of food to choose from when you do that and believe me as you get older nutrition is very important.

I know and have actually worked the process of rice harvest, dehulling and polishing which is required for risotto rice.

It's an involved process, and not what a food nut would call "natural".
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Because its available - its convenient and it cheap.

And because most people (not including most of the people on these forums) don't understand the consequences of over indulgence.

Junk food in moderation is fine, but a lot of peoples ideas of moderation are not really moderation!

I am so happy you have appeared on this discussion and the other discussion. I really appreciate your level-headedness and willingness to discuss these issues with composure and calmness.

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Is that what you mean by you being level headed and us not?

OMG so many things wrong with this.

I was complimenting someone on their post. How could you have possibly interpreted that as 1. it was an insult to you, and 2. I was claiming to be level-headed in a post on another thread?

Try this one on for size:

The sky is blue today!

What does that mean to you? That I insulted your mother and am claiming to be a rocket scientist?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

You though my posts were level-headed? Thank you!

picard-facepalm-o.gif

• Mudler
    Mudler Posts: 45 Member
    Options

OMG so many things wrong with this.

I was complimenting someone on their post. How could you have possibly interpreted that as 1. it was an insult to you, and 2. I was claiming to be level-headed in a post on another thread?

Try this one on for size:

The sky is blue today!

What does that mean to you? That I insulted your mother and am claiming to be a rocket scientist?

LOL, seriously, you can't hope to win.
    They will pick that apart, misinterpret, misquote, take out of context and mock you for saying such foolish things which don't fit in with what the crowd thinks.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Charlottesometimes, I was talking about new restaurants being established in Melbourne at the time and you replied that you believed we need greater scientific literacy.

Scientific literacy - crikey, you can't eat that when you're hungry. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Wut's this here? Unrelated tangent drama on the MFP forum? No!!!2af82c5e561e09d58c48e14a1d2d6e34.jpg
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Mudler wrote: »
    What I find interesting is, and please, this is not meant in a disrespectful way to Americans. i love Americans, love their culture and country, so please understand, it's not me saying this....

We often see and hear headlines here in the UK and I believe the same headline has appeared in various European and even Australia. The headline basically goes,
    "Britons becoming as obese as Americans"
    "UK as fat as America"
    And so on.....
    Seen that many times. Seems a little unfair that Americans should be the yardstick by which we all measure ourselves.

But it is true. We are the front-runners in a race no one wants to win.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    dbmata said "I know and have actually worked the process of rice harvest, dehulling and polishing which is required for risotto rice.

It's an involved process, and not what a food nut would call "natural".

For those who don't eat rice - try this recipe.

Paleo Cauliflower Risotto for One

Ingredients
    8 oz Porcini or Shiitake or Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
    Olive Oil
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    2-3 Bacon Slices
    ½ Head Large Cauliflower, cut into florets
    1/2 Shallot, minced
    ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. Vegetable Stock
    1 tbsp. Cream (or Coconut Cream, Coconut Milk, or some other dairy-free option)

1. Preheat oven to 450.
    2. On a baking sheet or roasting pan, toss mushrooms with olive oil,
    salt, and pepper.
    3. Roast 30 minutes until crispy. Set aside.
    4. Fry bacon until crispy and set aside.
    5. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat, adding some oil for sautéing.
    6. Add the shallot and cook, stirring often until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
    7. Meanwhile, add the cauliflower florets to a food processor and process,
    scraping down as needed, until the crumbles are about the same
    size as rice grains. This shouldn’t take long, less than 2 minutes.
    8. Add the cauliflower to the skillet and stir into the shallots,
    cooking for about a minute until combined.
    9. Heat the vegetable broth to a gentle simmer. Add the simmering broth
    to the skillet, in small increments, stirring constantly.
    10. Once completely incorporated, add the 1 tbsp. coconut cream and stir.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    11. Remove from skillet and place in serving bowl.
    12. Top with the roasted mushrooms and crispy bacon, and voila.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    What I find interesting is, and please, this is not meant in a disrespectful way to Americans. i love Americans, love their culture and country, so please understand, it's not me saying this....

We often see and hear headlines here in the UK and I believe the same headline has appeared in various European and even Australia. The headline basically goes,
    "UK as fat as America"
    And so on.....
    Seen that many times. Seems a little unfair that Americans should be the yardstick by which we all measure ourselves.

We're #1!

• dbmata
    Options
    Let's be honest with ourselves, that's not risotto.

It sounds like it might be an excellent cauliflower casserole though.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lorib642 wrote: »

"UK as fat as America"
    And so on.....

We're #1!

b224195c8ce2eeba82237125d398b726.jpg
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Catsheep wrote: »
    So I have been having this thought quite frequently lately. I eat a bunch of junk (ie. fast food, candy, sweets, fried foods, etc.) and I feel really crappy afterwards. I feel sick to my stomach and lethargic and I swear that I will make sure that I don't feel this way ever again because it is so horrid. But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail. What are y'alls thoughts on this subject? If you have had any experiences dealing with this issue I'd love to hear about it.

So after 28 pages, what have you concluded? LMAO
  • dbmata
    Options
    That kid's got IT.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Let's be honest with ourselves, that's not risotto.

It sounds like it might be an excellent cauliflower casserole though.

True, but it is yummy and I never liked rice in the first place. :)