225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    I was at the gym yesterday just doing a light workout alone and I was watching what looked like two 18/19 year old kids at the benches. They loaded up what I think was 350 on the bar. I was resting between sets so I just sat up and watched to see what was about to unfold because I knew it would be absolutely impossible for either of them to push that weight.

After getting each other all jacked up, one of them started the lift. He brought the bar down 3 inches and freaked out then his friend deadlifted the bar back onto the rack. Then they celebrated as if it was a clean lift. I started laughing then went back to my workout.

TLDR: Watching people ego lift is comical.

You're looking at this the wrong way...

Guy on the bench was spotting the other guy's partial deadlift.

Wow I feel like such a fool now. :(

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    aylajane wrote: »
    How much does bodyweight play into this? I can 1RM 135 bench press (barely) but I only weigh 130... I know it is a good amount of weight for a woman anyway, but I was thinking that someone who weighs maybe 150 -175 probably thinks it is easier? Just curious if higher goals are "better" if you weigh more? Or is it irrelevant since it is all pretty much chest in this case? For a man, 225 is good goal if you weigh 225 or less? Men are stronger in chest so maybe a little different for them?

Yes, bench press is very much proportionate to body weight. I suspect it is somewhat of a bell curve. As you get heavier, your bench will probably be stronger, but once you reach a certain weight, your bench will begin to decrease again as your overall fitness begins to drop.

No matter what videos you see or what comments you read, a 225 bench press is really good for most men. The average Joe walking around on the streets will not be able to bench 225 pounds unless he begins training. The average woman will not be able to bench 135 pounds either under the same circumstances.

That I can agree with but can the average lifter bench those? What would qualify someone as an average lifter? Yes we can try to compare us exercisers to people who don't but that is not a good comparison.

From what I see in the gym, ages 20-50 I've seen about half bench 2 plates. 185 give or take 20 pounds seems to be what is average in my area. 225 max is probably right at the 50 percentile if even. I've only seen two girls ever use the bench so it is probably much less than 50% that can do 135 but I have no idea honestly...

Well from what I have seeming a person getting up to 225 max not in a calorie surplus is difficult. I am surround by people who can lift decent weight. I a a bad example to use. Most people I know who lift have been lifting for at least five years and many more for some. There are so people lifting more than what I though they would. We cannot box untrained novice lifters with someone experience though either.

I will be the first to admit that for the length of time I have been lifting I should be way stronger. Maybe though elite status does take a decade or over of bulk and cut phases.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How much does bodyweight play into this? I can 1RM 135 bench press (barely) but I only weigh 130... I know it is a good amount of weight for a woman anyway, but I was thinking that someone who weighs maybe 150 -175 probably thinks it is easier? Just curious if higher goals are "better" if you weigh more? Or is it irrelevant since it is all pretty much chest in this case? For a man, 225 is good goal if you weigh 225 or less? Men are stronger in chest so maybe a little different for them?

Yes, bench press is very much proportionate to body weight. I suspect it is somewhat of a bell curve. As you get heavier, your bench will probably be stronger, but once you reach a certain weight, your bench will begin to decrease again as your overall fitness begins to drop.

No matter what videos you see or what comments you read, a 225 bench press is really good for most men. The average Joe walking around on the streets will not be able to bench 225 pounds unless he begins training. The average woman will not be able to bench 135 pounds either under the same circumstances.

That I can agree with but can the average lifter bench those? What would qualify someone as an average lifter? Yes we can try to compare us exercisers to people who don't but that is not a good comparison.

From what I see in the gym, ages 20-50 I've seen about half bench 2 plates. 185 give or take 20 pounds seems to be what is average in my area. 225 max is probably right at the 50 percentile if even. I've only seen two girls ever use the bench so it is probably much less than 50% that can do 135 but I have no idea honestly...

225 isn't 50th percentile. The average man in his 20s can bench press just over his body weight at 106%.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    edited December 2014
    Options

225 isn't 50th percentile. The average man in his 20s can bench press just over his body weight at 106%.

Are you saying it is more or less?

Men in their 20's only make up 7% of the country's population. 35.7% of that 7% is obese and incredibly unlikely to be able to bench 225 let alone their own body weight. I was saying that 225 is the 50%tile for the regular gym goer male. The average American male probably couldn't even lift close to that.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    edited December 2014
    Options
    **** it I have no idea. I found this! Obviously it is just someone's thoughts but it definitely is interesting to think about.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bodybuilding/comments/203b2d/if_you_can_bench_over_225_youre_a_big_bad_man/

"Recently I've been wondering how a 225 bench presser stacks up compared to an average human male. I did some research, but mostly I just came up with articles like this one fron t-nation that only account for men in the U.S. who have a gym membership and are between 15 and 60. What I'm really interested in, is what percentage of the general population can bench press over 225 pounds?
    Someone asked this question on bodybuilding.com, and I was shocked to see that the lowest option on the poll was 5% or less(and 32% of voters actually said that over 5% of the population can bench 225) I think this is a huge overestimate.
    It is estimated that 80% of the population on earth survives on less than 10$ U.S. per day. Now 10 U.S. dollars varies widely in how much it's worth based on what part of the world you're in, but 3 billion people live on less than 2.50$ per day, and it can be assumed that they simply do not have the means or money to access a gym.
    Of the 2 billion people that earn between 2.50$ and 10$ a day, how many of them realistically could work out if they wanted to? Now, most of us have probably seen things like this, or this, which would technically be a feasible way to train for a small amount of that 2 billion. The reality is however, if you're making under ten dollars U.S. per day, most of your day is probably spent working/acquiring food/water just so that you can survive. The majority of that 2 billion simply do not have the time or money to go to the gym. Conservatively I'll estimate that about 10% of that 2 billion could work out if they wanted to, realistically it might be much lower than that. So that's 200 million people, + 1.4 billion who make over 10$ a day.
    That leaves us with around 1.6 billion people. The thing is, if you make 10$ U.S. per day and you live in the developed world, you definitely can't afford a gym membership. Estimating for poverty in the developed world (46.2 million people in the U.S. are below the poverty line), I'll roughly estimate that number down to 1 billion. There is some overlap between the figure of 80% of the world living under 10$ a day and the amount of poor people in the U.S., so it possible that maybe there are around 1.3 billion people capable of working out. Since the math is mostly a thought experiment at this point anyway I'll keep it at 1 billion for simplicity purposes.
    So we have 1 billion humans who could technically weight train. 50% of them are women, who for simplicity purposes I will assume cannot bench over 225(Shoutout to any ladies reading this who can, you're superheros.) That leaves us with 500 million males, who can technically weight train. Taking away age groups 0-15 and 60+, assuming age is distributed evenly between 0-75 (it isnt in reality but again, simplicity) this leaves us with 225 million men who are technically capable of weight training.
    How many people do you know? How many of them work out? If you live in the U.S. you might know quite a few people who weight train, since weight lifting is big in college and if you play any sport your coach likely makes you weight lift, especially for football which is very popular in the U.S. In the rest of the developed world, weight training isn't nearly as popular. I live in Canada, and of all the guys I know(Aside from people I know from the gym), probably around 10 of them have weight trained consistently (a year or more). Of those 10, about 5 can bench over 225. I know (conservatively) about 300 people. I'll assume that maybe weight training is more popular in other parts of the developed world, specifically to account for the U.S. Ill use an estimate of 20 people of out 300 weight lift(out of the 225 million who can) This amounts to about 6%. Six percent of 225 million equals 13.5 million. (There are 17 million people in the U.S. who are men between 15 and 60 who have gym memberships, but that doesn't mean they bodybuild or weight train, and it definitely doesnt mean they take strenght training seriously. 13.5 million is my very rough estimation of men who work out specifically for the goal of getting jacked/strong.
    Out of the 13.5 million estimated bodybuilder/powerlifters, how many can actually bench 225? I'll say 50%. Most of the guys I know who work out definitely can't bench 225, but I know a large concentration of guys who work out just to say that they train, then go home and eat a frozen pizza and call it a day. So assuming most lifters arent as soft as the one's I know, Ill estimate 6.75 million people on earth can bench over 225. That amounts to 0.1% of earth's population, or one in a thousand people.
    TL;DR - Using extremely rough guestimates and statistics, I estimated around 1 in 1000 people on earth can bench press 225 pounds."
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Men in their 20's only make up 7% of the country's population. 35.7% of that 7% is obese and incredibly unlikely to be able to bench 225 let alone their own body weight. I was saying that 225 is the 50%tile for the regular gym goer male. The average American male probably couldn't even lift close to that.

Definitely less than 225, more like 170. Even for an average gym goer 225 is pretty high if you look at the strength charts. Certain gyms will be higher but at most of the commercial gyms I've lifted at 2 plates is above the average.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Interesting article there and probably not that far off the mark.

ETA I didn't realize that I was in such a tiny minority. Right now I'm doubling 225 but hoping to hit 4 or 5 reps by summer.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options

Definitely less than 225, more like 170. Even for an average gym goer 225 is pretty high if you look at the strength charts. Certain gyms will be higher but at most of the commercial gyms I've lifted at 2 plates is above the average.

I think I was watching too many Youtube videos when I assumed 225 was the 50%tile. :p
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I think I was watching too many Youtube videos when I assumed 225 was the 50%tile. :p

LOL, it's a saliency effect. I used to think 275 was pretty normal because I used to workout in the varsity gym with the football players and wrestlers.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Decided I'm gonna test my 225xAMRAP in the new year. So two weeks from now. Curious to see how it goes. Hoping for at least 10.

Meh, only got 9. If I hadn't been so worn out I might have managed the 10th with a gun to my head but ah well. Not too bad I guess.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Decided I'm gonna test my 225xAMRAP in the new year. So two weeks from now. Curious to see how it goes. Hoping for at least 10.

Meh, only got 9. If I hadn't been so worn out I might have managed the 10th with a gun to my head but ah well. Not too bad I guess.

Looked good though!
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Here is mine... this was my AMRAP set after 5x2x290, 1x2x290 on High Bar Squats, and 5x2x225 on Bench. Got 8 (didn't count the 9th rep due to spotter help). I imagine if I eliminated all the work before I could hit 10-12?

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nice work, great form. I've been pondering getting up on my toes but I know some feds don't allow it so I'm apprehensive. Sticking to heels down for now. How much do you feel that helps you?

Also, love that bench. That'd save so much effort of unracking. What brand is that?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Super nice work guys!!!! loving it!!! also- sweet pants- those make me happy (also not really in a creeper way- just- in general- I love fun pants).. I'll be a creeper later.

I have been shifting over (I'm going to inject myself back in) to a more toes up method- I feel like I can get a better drive through through- less hammstring cramping- and more arch- and I feel like I stick to my shoulders more (like I stay stacked UP and back if that makes sense)

it's taken me a while to switch to that (about 8 months maybe?) but I'm actually kind of preferring it... I feel like I get weird knee issues with a flat heel at this point.

for me anyway. for what that's worth.

I also like those racks- since I"m a little shorter in wing span- without a spotter I have to get the bar out over head- and restack my shoulders under me- it takes me a couple extra seconds with the bar over head to get reogranized- which is no fun.
  • LolBroScience
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nice work, great form. I've been pondering getting up on my toes but I know some feds don't allow it so I'm apprehensive. Sticking to heels down for now. How much do you feel that helps you?

Also, love that bench. That'd save so much effort of unracking. What brand is that?

I've struggled with bench forever... and I've toyed around with various setups. So far, this seems to be working the best for me. Up on my toes, grip just inside the rings, and touch point just below lower chest. I feel most stable here, so I'm just sticking with this since my bench is driving up real fast right now.

I'm not sure of the brand actually. This is more of a hardcore gym, so a lot of the equipment is random mix and match, second hand stuff. I can look or ask the the owner for you the next time I'm in (tomorrow).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Good job both of you guys!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Awesome work both of you!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options

Do you plan on competing? If not, it doesn't matter what federations allow.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DB brought this up and I wanted to sample your opinions on this.

Yesterday afternoon, between sets, I was asked to spot which is totally cool by me. This guy set the bar up with 295. Nice big lift, but suicide grip while wearing rings on just about every finger.

I had visions of the bar rolling out of his hands and crushing his chest and me watching in slow motion horror. He didn't want me to touch the bar at all, yet I wanted to have my hands close in case I watched this horror unfold before me.

I wanted to decline. I wanted to say "Sure I'll spot you, but not with that grip." "Or sure I'll spot you but I need to keep my hands on the bar in case it rolls from your hands." But you know how we all get when it comes to our spots...

Seriously, what the heck should I have done? I still feel I should have gone with my first inclination and declined unless conditions.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    DB brought this up and I wanted to sample your opinions on this.

Yesterday afternoon, between sets, I was asked to spot which is totally cool by me. This guy set the bar up with 295. Nice big lift, but suicide grip while wearing rings on just about every finger.

I had visions of the bar rolling out of his hands and crushing his chest and me watching in slow motion horror. He didn't want me to touch the bar at all, yet I wanted to have my hands close in case I watched this horror unfold before me.

I wanted to decline. I wanted to say "Sure I'll spot you, but not with that grip." "Or sure I'll spot you but I need to keep my hands on the bar in case it rolls from your hands." But you know how we all get when it comes to our spots...

Seriously, what the heck should I have done? I still feel I should have gone with my first inclination and declined unless conditions.

I am the same way. Do not touch the bar until you see it slowly start to fall down on my chest. I also check my ego now and try not to push to hard. I would just ask him umm how you like me to spot since you are using that grip. I hate people who keep there hands on the bar at all times too. They never get a second chance to spot me again. I don't use that garbage grip when I could be staple to the bench. You should read some of the places that prefer to use suicide grip. Just crazy.