225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    DB brought this up and I wanted to sample your opinions on this.

Yesterday afternoon, between sets, I was asked to spot which is totally cool by me. This guy set the bar up with 295. Nice big lift, but suicide grip while wearing rings on just about every finger.

I had visions of the bar rolling out of his hands and crushing his chest and me watching in slow motion horror. He didn't want me to touch the bar at all, yet I wanted to have my hands close in case I watched this horror unfold before me.

I wanted to decline. I wanted to say "Sure I'll spot you, but not with that grip." "Or sure I'll spot you but I need to keep my hands on the bar in case it rolls from your hands." But you know how we all get when it comes to our spots...

Seriously, what the heck should I have done? I still feel I should have gone with my first inclination and declined unless conditions.

I would decline to spot on a suicide grip and I've done it in the past. I just politely indicate that I don't believe that I'm the best person to ask for a spot.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Do not touch the bar until you see it slowly start to fall down on my chest.
    Yep same way. I want as much of the rep as I can get.
    I would just ask him umm how you like me to spot since you are using that grip.
    Yeah I did and his response was "don't touch it."
    Options
    DB brought this up and I wanted to sample your opinions on this.

Yesterday afternoon, between sets, I was asked to spot which is totally cool by me. This guy set the bar up with 295. Nice big lift, but suicide grip while wearing rings on just about every finger.

I had visions of the bar rolling out of his hands and crushing his chest and me watching in slow motion horror. He didn't want me to touch the bar at all, yet I wanted to have my hands close in case I watched this horror unfold before me.

I wanted to decline. I wanted to say "Sure I'll spot you, but not with that grip." "Or sure I'll spot you but I need to keep my hands on the bar in case it rolls from your hands." But you know how we all get when it comes to our spots...

Seriously, what the heck should I have done? I still feel I should have gone with my first inclination and declined unless conditions.

I would decline to spot on a suicide grip and I've done it in the past. I just politely indicate that I don't believe that I'm the best person to ask for a spot.
    That's what I should have done.
    Options
    As he was pressing up, I kept thinking to myself "its gonna roll out!" I could hardly concentrate on what he was doing. Guy was strong though. I talked to him a bit after wards and he said he "was surprised" he could do that because "he's only been at the gym 5 times in the last "three months."

Mind boggled.
    Options
    FYI: Before I give anyone a spot, I always ask what they expect.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

You mean like rep count they want? I never ask because people speak up and say I am going for 5 might get 4.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always ask for expectations - liftoff, reps, what they don't want me to do, etc.

My thought is that it's his/her lift. If they want to do suicide grip, that's fine. But if it rolls off, I'm not catching it and hurting myself. I've never spotted someone with SG, but I'd tell them straight up that if it rolls off, they're hosed.

I find the hardest thing is to find a good spotter that will do what you want them to do, and not what they think they should do. I think I can get 245 up, but I'm not sure - the guy spotting me, as soon as I hit my sticking point and slowed down (but I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it through) touched the bar. I had asked him for help with liftoff and to only help if the bar came back down. I was pissed, as I didn't have the energy to try another. Like I said - I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it, but I don't really know.
    Options

You mean like rep count they want? I never ask because people speak up and say I am going for 5 might get 4.
    I ask how many reps they think they will get so it gives me an idea where they will fail and when to bring in my spot. (If its only one then its a PR probably.) I also ask, do you need a lift off (I never want a lift off) and if they want my hands on the bar or not. Finally I ask, anything else I should be aware of?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I ask how many reps they think they will get so it gives me an idea where they will fail and when to bring in my spot. (If its only one then its a PR probably.) I also ask, do you need a lift off (I never want a lift off) and if they want my hands on the bar or not. Finally I ask, anything else I should be aware of?

People at my gym give me this info and I do the same. My life is in your hands (Literally sometimes) so yes I will say all that before you ask.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

People at my gym give me this info and I do the same. My life is in your hands (Literally sometimes) so yes I will say all that before you ask.
    When I need a spotter I always give the direction on what I expect, because yeah just as you said, my life is literally in their hands - and I want as much of that final rep or two as possible.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

When I need a spotter I always give the direction on what I expect, because yeah just as you said, my life is literally in their hands - and I want as much of that final rep or two as possible.

I also learn my lessen with asking someone weak to spot me. I pushed to hard and pop. He was not able to move the bar at all so I am benching my last rep with a tore pec with his so called little help. Never again.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

it's just easier and safer- and you get what you want out of it.

I'm always very clear about my spotting and how I spot and what I'll do if you AREN'T.

I had a guy give me ZERO lift off for a last effort 1 rep max- and then steal the bar from me as I failed.

Wasted lift- seriously what's the point of you if you can't help me with a lift off and then you just rob me of the lift.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

it's just easier and safer- and you get what you want out of it.

I'm always very clear about my spotting and how I spot and what I'll do if you AREN'T.

I had a guy give me ZERO lift off for a last effort 1 rep max- and then steal the bar from me as I failed.

Wasted lift- seriously what's the point of you if you can't help me with a lift off and then you just rob me of the lift.

At least he did not spot like
    paea-bench-press-o.gif

Yeah thanks for nothing guy.
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    had a guy give me ZERO lift off for a last effort 1 rep max- and then steal the bar from me as I failed.

Likewise, I want to grind out that last set, even if it is slow and as painful, but as long as I am grinding that last set on my own because what's the point if you're going to do the work for me?
    Options
    I also inform the spotter that I will let them know when they can take the bar from me if I know I am spent.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't believe these women who are saying they have done 195.

http://www.wabdl.org/WORLDS/worlds_women.php

Yeah..... right.

My 1RP is my bodyweight 162.
  • yopeeps025
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bingfit221 wrote: »

Yeah..... right.

umadbro_zps870a85fe.jpeg

Also ask those ladies how long they been lifting? I am sure some might say longer than I have.
    edited January 2015
    Options

You may want to skip leg day.
    edited January 2015
    Options

Yeah..... right.My 1RP is my bodyweight 162.
    And why is that? Is it because they are stronger than you?

You must be a great joy as PT otherwise. lulz.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Yeah..... right.

Those records are in gear. They say single and double ply next to them. Once you learn how to use gear and train in it, you will potentially have a higher 1rm because of the assistance that the gear provides.