question about soup

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Most commercial soup bases and sauces contain artificial meat-like flavors that mimic those we used to get from natural, gelatin-rich broth...snip unattributed quote.
    You've snipped that from Weston A Price without attribution. Naughty, and an opinion piece. They discovered how to make flavours. How does this support your claim that it "strips the nutrition out"?

good point, I guess that was a non-sequitur - but relevant to the original question

as for "killing nutrients", cooking enhances certain nutrients' bioavailability (beta carotene and lycopene being two prominent examples) and diminishes others (B-complex, C and other water-soluble vitamins)

either way, anything you buy that's made in a factory will not be as nutritious as something you make yourself with fresh vegetables

i thought that was kind of obvious, but there's a contingent of users here who seem to do nothing more than post "where's the proof". I hope you are all atheists, otherwise you're huge hypocrites.

Nice false dichotomy, champ.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Most commercial soup bases and sauces contain artificial meat-like flavors that mimic those we used to get from natural, gelatin-rich broth...snip unattributed quote.
    You've snipped that from Weston A Price without attribution. Naughty, and an opinion piece. They discovered how to make flavours. How does this support your claim that it "strips the nutrition out"?

good point, I guess that was a non-sequitur - but relevant to the original question

as for "killing nutrients", cooking enhances certain nutrients' bioavailability (beta carotene and lycopene being two prominent examples) and diminishes others (B-complex, C and other water-soluble vitamins)

either way, anything you buy that's made in a factory will not be as nutritious as something you make yourself with fresh vegetables

i thought that was kind of obvious, but there's a contingent of users here who seem to do nothing more than post "where's the proof". I hope you are all atheists, otherwise you're huge hypocrites.
    Don't get me wrong, I make all my own soups and stocks so that I can control the ingredients. Some vegetables (like tomatoes) will change the availablity of some nutrients but that will happen whether they are cooked in my pot or in the can at the factory. That's also why I eat raw tomatoes and cooked tomatoes.
    I grow my own veggies, but the ones in the Ontario supermarket (for instance) may come from Mexico and be more nutrient depleted by the time you get them than the flash frozen ones used in the canned soup.
    I don't think you have proven your point.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Kylandme wrote: »
    He even told me to eat nuts 8 almonds or 8 walnut up to 1 pm and this will be one of my meals every 3 hrs... I mean instead of a meal I take 8 almonds

That's not even a snack, let alone a meal.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I will never understand why people pay money to see PTs, nutritionists, dietitians, etc...but never ask questions. I just don't get it. When my PT tells me to do something that I'm unfamiliar with and/or unknowledgable about or whatever...I usually ask something like, "ok...but what is that supposed to do"..."why exactly am I doing X?" Stuff like that.

Bingo!
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I make all my own soups and stocks so that I can control the ingredients. Some vegetables (like tomatoes) will change the availablity of some nutrients but that will happen whether they are cooked in my pot or in the can at the factory. That's also why I eat raw tomatoes and cooked tomatoes.
    I grow my own veggies, but the ones in the Ontario supermarket (for instance) may come from Mexico and be more nutrient depleted by the time you get them than the flash frozen ones used in the canned soup.
    I don't think you have proven your point.

That's actually a *very* good point, and a point of concern. I notice a big difference when I can buy vegetables in-season, eg: locally grown.

That said, you're kind of making my point. If the vegetables shipped from Mexico can become "nutrient depleted" (note, I won't ask you to prove how!) why is it a stretch to believe that vegetables going to a factory from god-knows-where aren't also depleted, and then further depleted by processing, sitting in inventory, etc and so on.

The ONLY point I was trying to make is that you're almost always better off buying and eating fresh food vs. stuff you buy in a can.

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    That said, you're kind of making my point. If the vegetables shipped from Mexico can become "nutrient depleted" (note, I won't ask you to prove how!) why is it a stretch to believe that vegetables going to a factory from god-knows-where aren't also depleted, and then further depleted by processing, sitting in inventory, etc and so on.

The ONLY point I was trying to make is that you're almost always better off buying and eating fresh food vs. stuff you buy in a can.

There is a big difference here; he didn't make your point at all.

Vegetables in a chain grocery store are not purchased on the basis of nutritional value or flavor, but instead these varietals are selected on the basis of shelf stability. Tomatoes for example are picked green and are expected to ripen during transport so that they show up in the grocery store firm and red and can sit on the shelf for the longest amount of time possible before spoiling, to increase the likelihood of selling each individual fruit and thus to make a profit. The grocery story doesn't care if your tomatoes are flavorless or your bananas are starchy because their key motivation is decreasing wastage.

A food manufacturer on the other hand is not selling you whole food. Soup Company doesn't care if the tomatoes going into their tomato soup look pristine and perfect, since you're never going to see it. They also don't care about shelf stability since the items will be cooked the day they arrive at the factory. What they DO care about is getting the most flavor out of the product, since people will buy your processed foods over the competitor's processed foods for TASTE first and foremost. It just so happens that foods taste best when they are fully ripened, which also usually corresponds to when they have the most nutrients in them. Thus the company buying products based on flavor are usually also (inadvertently) providing the most nutrition.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

There is a big difference here; he didn't make your point at all.

Vegetables in a chain grocery store are not purchased on the basis of nutritional value or flavor, but instead these varietals are selected on the basis of shelf stability. Tomatoes for example are picked green and are expected to ripen during transport so that they show up in the grocery store firm and red and can sit on the shelf for the longest amount of time possible before spoiling, to increase the likelihood of selling each individual fruit and thus to make a profit. The grocery story doesn't care if your tomatoes are flavorless or your bananas are starchy because their key motivation is decreasing wastage.

A food manufacturer on the other hand is not selling you whole food. Soup Company doesn't care if the tomatoes going into their tomato soup look pristine and perfect, since you're never going to see it. They also don't care about shelf stability since the items will be cooked the day they arrive at the factory. What they DO care about is getting the most flavor out of the product, since people will buy your processed foods over the competitor's processed foods for TASTE first and foremost. It just so happens that foods taste best when they are fully ripened, which also usually corresponds to when they have the most nutrients in them. Thus the company buying products based on flavor are usually also (inadvertently) providing the most nutrition.

If I was like some of the people here I would say "Where's your evidence?"

but, because I have a brain and I see the logic in your argument, I'll instead say "I've never thought of that, that makes sense - assuming that the processing doesn't hurt the nutritional value."

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Your underlying point of course - that people should prepare more of their own food rather than buy processed everything - is still a valid point. The sodium in processed soups is crazy high most of the time.

In fact I suspect that the original poster's trainer was advising against soup because the sodium causes water retention, which will in turn cause his clients to weigh in and demand an explanation for why they are not losing weight. On the other hand, soups ARE generally low calorie, even in the commercial preparations. Two cups of store bought squash soup is usually about 200 calories total for example. Personally, I make soups frequently at home (from scratch, because as you said the gelatin really makes a big difference) and I just remind myself that even if it is high sodium (I put lots of salt in my soups, admittedly) it doesn't mean you've gained fat, just water.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    soup you make yourself? awesome.

soup you buy in stores? avoid. too much sodium and all the processing kills any nutrition you would get otherwise.

How does the processing "kill nutrition"? Please be specific.

I'm not a library. Do your own research.
    If I do the processing myself, does it kill the nutrition?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    soup you make yourself? awesome.

soup you buy in stores? avoid. too much sodium and all the processing kills any nutrition you would get otherwise.

How does the processing "kill nutrition"? Please be specific.

I'm not a library. Do your own research.
    If I do the processing myself, does it kill the nutrition?

No.

But once you start pouring that homemade soup into a can, an alarm goes off at Nutrition Fairy Headquarters and a Nutrition Fairy flies out to steal all the nutrition before the can is sealed.
  • dbmata
    Options
    but into a jar and then into a canner for storage is ok? :smiley:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Glass jars are different, because angel wings are made of itty bitty bits of glass, all sewn together with silk thread made from the falling tears of unicorns.
  • dbmata
    Options
    What if I were to process some corn with lye?

There's also the whole wreckless (not wreckless) use of sodium nitrate and sodium nitrites, along with various items like maltose, lactose, dextrose, various gums, I even use a centrifuge!!!111!!!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    /r/circlejerk
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I usually don't throw my 3 cents in on this stuff, but I'm going to-Ditch him. It's really just ridiculous. Read some of the success stories on here. We eat what we want.

One guy ate 9 snickers bars today.
  • dbmata
    Options
    That's a lot of snickers, but on the bright side, they're really themselves today.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of snickers, but on the bright side, they're really themselves today.

Totally snickering at that.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    So far this week I have learned:

1. baking soda is toxic
    2. sugar is evil
    3. soups kill your thyroid
    4. diet soda will make you fat

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Lol jesus, I had to read it like 4 times before I realized why it was funny.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Lol jesus, I had to read it like 4 times before I realized why it was funny.

8npj82ibp2nv.gif