SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I could definitely OD on cheese.

Addict!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I had panettone and a chocolate truffle today! Yum!

Well paint my door red and slap me , I'm just totaly impressed.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Same here and just recently got off sugar as part of my arthritis pain management. The first of Aug learned about coconut oil and adapting to it took about a month and I was limiting sugar. By the end of September I said heck with sugar in total. Well I am not talking about like sugar in almonds but at this time I am doing NO fruit or food with added sugar.

I am two months into NO sugar for real. Thankful with the combo of cutting the carbs to <50 grams a day and daily use of coconut oil my pain is down from 7-8 to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. Staying away from all meds is important to me at my age and I do not plan to go back to sugar ever since it is toxic to me.

One plus of living on Fats and Protein is one just does not get cravings and can go long periods without food since there are no sugar crashes and the IBS left after a month on the coconut oil.

Good luck.
    It's quite incredible the difference in cutting back sugar and the pain level in joints. I'd read about it but couldn't believe the difference.... so whenever the pain is high I think about what I've been eating and can pin it on junk. Hate the joint pain, hate the emotional pain I use sugar to cover it with. Working on not covering any of it up. Exercise seems to be a great friend in exchange.

Glad you shared the above for anyone that hasn't! :)

Cutting way back on sugar keeps the inflammation down on my joints, that what's I've noticed on my knees. Fruit doesn't effect me in the same way as processed sugary junk food.

To some it may react the same in their bodies, for whatever reason it doesn't mine. My body CAN tell the difference and responds quite differently between the two.

• optionsgod
    optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I want to join this...seems so tough though.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited December 2014
    Options
    time410s wrote: »
    I can resist binging if eating fruit, but any processed, sugary goodies give me crazy cravings. I have given up refined sugars in the past and my cravings subsided. Each time, however, I thought I was cured, ate something refined and the cravings returned followed by binging. For me there is really no moderation -- I have to completely avoid refined sugar. Even if I stopped eating after one brownie, cookie, etc. I continued to think about it and obsess about it all day. I was preoccupied with getting my next fix. I am once again on the wagon (hopefully for good). It is not just about wanting to lose 10 pounds, it is about wanting to stop the obsessing. So, I guess you could say I am giving it up for two reasons: my vanity and my sanity!

FYI your body can't tell the difference. You're hooked on the marketing.

How exactly do YOU know time410s body can't tell the difference? Perhaps you meant to say YOUR body can't tell the difference for you?

Because it seems it would be difficult to answer that for another.

time410s ... congrats BTW for learning what your body can and can't tolerate... I can really relate to what you've shared in your post!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    time410s wrote: »
    I can resist binging if eating fruit, but any processed, sugary goodies give me crazy cravings. I have given up refined sugars in the past and my cravings subsided. Each time, however, I thought I was cured, ate something refined and the cravings returned followed by binging. For me there is really no moderation -- I have to completely avoid refined sugar. Even if I stopped eating after one brownie, cookie, etc. I continued to think about it and obsess about it all day. I was preoccupied with getting my next fix. I am once again on the wagon (hopefully for good). It is not just about wanting to lose 10 pounds, it is about wanting to stop the obsessing. So, I guess you could say I am giving it up for two reasons: my vanity and my sanity!

FYI your body can't tell the difference. You're hooked on the marketing.

How exactly do YOU know her body can't tell the difference? Perhaps you meant to say YOUR body can't tell the difference for you?

Because it seems it would be difficult to answer that for her.

Science says her body can't tell the difference. It reacts exactly the same to different types of sugar. The only difference is that fruit often comes with fiber which slows its digestion. But as far as "refined" sugar and "unrefined" or "natural" sugar like honey, maple syrup, molasses, etc. there literally is no difference at all. None.

The only way a person will react differently is through a medical issue, such as diabetes...but even then, that person's reaction to refined and unrefined sugar will still match.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited December 2014
    Options
    diaowl wrote: »
    Sorry, guys... I don't mean to be rude, but you're all so far off this topic. This is a PERSONAL decision, so why are you all up my business with so many theories and so on?

I'm limiting sugar, not giving it up. By sugar I mean added sugar. I don't think it's good for me, so I'm gonna try to eat less of it. ADDED SUGAR, WHICH IS REFINED SUGAR NOT FRUCTOSE FOUND IN FRUITS.

That is ALL I am doing and it's really tough for someone like me. This topic was created for MYSELF, NOT TO INFLUENCE PEOPLE BUT TO KEEP MYSELF ON TRACK WITH MY DECISION.

If you want to eat sugar, go ahead and eat sugar.
    If you don't want to eat sugar, then don't eat sugar.
    If you want to join in my quest to limit sugar, you're welcomed to do it.
    If you think this decision is trash and you don't want to join me, then simply DON'T.

What you've chosen to do for yourself makes sense to me.. if it's what your body needs to be healthy and run better...so be it. :) More power to you...

.... I didn't read through all the posts... after the train got derailed...didn't seem much point.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How exactly do YOU know time410s body can't tell the difference? Perhaps you meant to say YOUR body can't tell the difference for you?

So if I claimed to be "addicted" to naan, but no other kinds of bread, that would be a rational comment?

It's basically the same, if we are talking actual physical response.

People may well have trigger foods, but that's not about their body being able to tell the difference. An interesting test would be to disguise the taste and knowledge of what it was and see what happens.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    No time to read through this whole thread. My one little thought is many times the cookie,with sugar in it, and the cakes etc. also have wheat in them which is also a carbohydrates which is a sugar and addicting. I am close to the same as OP If I have one sweet thing like a cookie or bite of cake I have to have more and more and more. Fruit does not do this. So maybe some of the problem is the wheat and sugar combination.

I analyzed a basic cookie recipe I have, and sugar is nowhere near the main source of calories. Butter is. Flour is second. So maybe it's the butter/flour (or fat/carb) combination. This would also explain why mashed potatoes with butter are so tasty, although I don't personally believe they are "addictive," of course. No more so than cookies, etc.

Oh, and I looked up some info on the EU milk regs, and their full fat milk is on average 4%, which is what it is in the US too.
    And that's white, refined flour?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You could use whole wheat (same calories, roughly the same GI, possibly just as tasty and "addictive" if you are lucky), but yes.

Point?