Fed Up Documentary

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Muffie22 wrote: »
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

You're also 25 years old.

Ok, going to address these one at a time.

I lost more than that, doing the same thing (except meat). And has been noted - I am 47. I lost the weight when I was 45/46.

• Sarauk2sf
    edited November 2014
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

The "rules" of "calories in-calories out" work well for the majority of people in their youth (and who exercise). HOWEVER, it just doesn't work very well for the typical post-menopausal woman, because the reduced number of calories she needs to shrink her fat deposits results in malnutrition,

Funny, this 5 years post menopausal woman is doing just fine losing weight and fat deposits and I am healthier than I have been in years. I follow CICO with a touch of IIFYM to help me find the best way to distribute the calories in part of the equation.

58841349.png

And do you eat a lot of calorie-dense, nutrient-poor food? If that's the case, then think of how much better you would do with a better diet. Since you indicate on your ticker that you still have about 75 pounds to go, you were likely a lot bigger than OP to start with.

That;s a lot of assumptions. And again, I did/do very well with IIFYM.

Now, I am not disagreeing that post-menopausal women often do better on higher fat/higher protein and low'ish carbs. But you are making a very big leap there - the poster is losing weight and it is rather presumptuous to infer that she would do better using a different methodology. The biggest key to weight loss is adherence.

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    there are good vegetarians and bad vegetarians. what i call the vegetarian myth. think about it, potato chips are vegetarian, sugar is vegetarian, pizza is vegetarian, most cake is vegetarian.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    there are good vegetarians and bad vegetarians. what i call the vegetarian myth. think about it, potato chips are vegetarian, sugar is vegetarian, pizza is vegetarian, most cake is vegetarian.

And what's wrong with any of that in moderation? I mean, lets take pizza - bread, tomato sauce, cheese and veggies. How is that "bad".
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

What about MFP user Sarauk2sf? She's in her late 40's and has managed to lose weight and recomp her body while including (in moderation) full fat items like ice cream, dairy and such.

Not everyone can (or will) follow the type of regime that Sarauk follows. I have arthritis and must be very careful as to the type and amount of exercise that I do--but, within that parameter, I have made a drastic change in my health and appearance. :)

Which is a factor, but please do not assume that everyone else has your issues.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

What about MFP user Sarauk2sf? She's in her late 40's and has managed to lose weight and recomp her body while including (in moderation) full fat items like ice cream, dairy and such.

I think it's because Sarauk2sf is honest with herself and doesn't make excuses.

That for sure.

Sara is an inspiration to many.

:flowerforyou:

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    At the risk of being flagged, what I'm taking from this thread (from OP and the majority of those agreeing) is that going vegetarian makes you fat.

Eat meat people =D

Srsly, that's a joke. I don't think a lot of people who start eating vegetarian, for moral reasons, realise they are going to have to pay really strict attention to their nutrition. I really take for granted getting all the essential amino acids from my meat, I couldn't even begin to contemplate the balance of foods you'd need to eat to get them all elsewhere (while keeping a sensible energy balance), hats off to you.

Convenience foods are what they are - convenient. Like others have said, companies are there to make money not look out for your health, that's up to the individual.

Its actually pretty easy getting enough EAAs as a vegetarian tbh - but you do have to be a bit sensible about it.

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

You're eating the wrong kind of pizza...
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

The problem is the notion that certain foods are "good" while other foods are "bad." Food is food, and our bodies use all foods as energy whether it's a slice of pizza or a bowl of broccoli.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Not everyone can (or will) follow the type of regime that Sarauk follows. I have arthritis and must be very careful as to the type and amount of exercise that I do--but, within that parameter, I have made a drastic change in my health and appearance. :)

LOL. She strength trains 3x a week. That's it. No cardio/nothing else and she has a desk job. How is that different than from what most follow? In fact, it's less than what most people try to do.

A lot of cardio can actually be counter-productive to the aging female body. Cardio is "catabolic"--that is, it tends to be decrease lean body mass. Weight-lifting, on the other hand is "anabolic"--that is, it tends to increase lean body mass. Which one do you think is better for increasing the flagging metabolism of the aging woman? I actually don't do a lot of cardio--just enough to keep my cardiovascular system healthy. She may have a better metabolism than I have to start with--many, many women are not so fortunate. It is estimated that about 40% of post-menopausal women have thyroid problems (as do I).

Too much cardio can be counter-productive to ANY body - being female and 'aging' has nothing to do with it. [Note: too much cardio is a very vague term and one I would not normally use without context].

I have an average metabolism for someone with my LBM at my size and activity level. There is nothing special about me. I have a desk job. I do no cardio. I am a lazy bish outside the gym. BUT, I do work hard lifting.

Where is this 40% from out of interest?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    At the risk of being flagged, what I'm taking from this thread (from OP and the majority of those agreeing) is that going vegetarian makes you fat.

Eat meat people =D

Srsly, that's a joke. I don't think a lot of people who start eating vegetarian, for moral reasons, realise they are going to have to pay really strict attention to their nutrition. I really take for granted getting all the essential amino acids from my meat, I couldn't even begin to contemplate the balance of foods you'd need to eat to get them all elsewhere (while keeping a sensible energy balance), hats off to you.

Convenience foods are what they are - convenient. Like others have said, companies are there to make money not look out for your health, that's up to the individual.

Yes--it is very difficult to eat a vegan diet and remain healthy. Not impossible, mind you--but difficult. An ovo-lacto vegetarian diet is what a large proportion of the world lives on. Typically, those people have a problem getting enough total calories.

Interestingly, our farming ancestors of 150 years ago, ate about the same amount of protein (from meat, fish poultry, eggs and dairy) and fat as we do. What they didn't eat was the huge amount of sugar and starch that we do (sugar was expensive until the 20th century and grain was more expensive than now because of the "grain miracle" of the 20th century). And they did a lot of heavy manual labor. They were typically quite slender. Only the wealthy were fat and it was considered a mark of their status that they were "portly".

Pretty sure the heavy manual labor was a very large factor in their 'slimness'.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Are the good vegetarians the ones that help little old ladies across the road and the bad ones those who kick puppies?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Eat meat people =D

Yes--it is very difficult to eat a vegan diet and remain healthy. Not impossible, mind you--but difficult. An ovo-lacto vegetarian diet is what a large proportion of the world lives on. Typically, those people have a problem getting enough total calories.

Interestingly, our farming ancestors of 150 years ago, ate about the same amount of protein (from meat, fish poultry, eggs and dairy) and fat as we do. What they didn't eat was the huge amount of sugar and starch that we do (sugar was expensive until the 20th century and grain was more expensive than now because of the "grain miracle" of the 20th century). And they did a lot of heavy manual labor. They were typically quite slender. Only the wealthy were fat and it was considered a mark of their status that they were "portly".

Pretty sure the heavy manual labor was a very large factor in their 'slimness'.

Not to mention 150 years ago was the Civil War.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    errr....hai!

LOL

you may want to go back and review pages three through four as I believe you were the topic on those pages….

lol...just finished page 2. This may take a while :p
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a great documentary. It was very eye opening as to how our entire culture is in so many ways structured around feeding sugar addiction. I think your new diet sounds great-good luck!!
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

LOL. She strength trains 3x a week. That's it. No cardio/nothing else and she has a desk job. How is that different than from what most follow? In fact, it's less than what most people try to do.

A lot of cardio can actually be counter-productive to the aging female body. Cardio is "catabolic"--that is, it tends to be decrease lean body mass. Weight-lifting, on the other hand is "anabolic"--that is, it tends to increase lean body mass. Which one do you think is better for increasing the flagging metabolism of the aging woman? I actually don't do a lot of cardio--just enough to keep my cardiovascular system healthy. She may have a better metabolism than I have to start with--many, many women are not so fortunate. It is estimated that about 40% of post-menopausal women have thyroid problems (as do I).

So first you infer that she has a rigorous training schedule most can or won't do as a reason she's able to be as she is. But now that it is "revealed" she does something that is actually average and doable, it's got to be her "better" metabolism (insinuating that it's something she's always had)???

:laugh:

Okay then.

Was she ever more than 20-30 pounds overweight?

Yes, I was. I was nearly 200lb at my heaviest. Started on here at 185lb. Got down to 146lb. I now usually hover between low to high 150s.

Your point is?

Sorry, did I not fall into your 'not 'normal' category?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think mulberry has left for the evening…but great rebuttals sara...