exercise.png

• dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    12/1 2 miles
    12/3 3 miles
    12/6 4 miles
    exercise.png
    I know it is in my best interest to do a lot of slow, easy miles but it is depressing on my pride to see just how slow my easy pace is.
  • johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When I read of the fears that people have regarding injury it gives me memories of the past 1.5 years of my life. When I decided to start running last year I thought that I just needed shoes and determination so I did zero research and ended up pushing myself too hard, too fast without any clue how to carry myself or the importance of GOOD shoes. I ended up with a fractured tibial plateau in my right leg. That took me out of running and put me on crutches for a couple of months. After I was released to run again I had started to do some research and learned quite a bit. I had heard of barefoot running so I bought a pair of barefoot shoes and took off again. Well.....AGAIN, I had no idea how to ease into a different way of running, and guess what? I fractured my OTHER tibial plateau (no, I do not have brittle bones....as a matter of fact it turns out that they are rather strong....I was just not being smart or careful). After taking some time off to let that heal I had done a lot more research and decided to protect my legs and try to follow a plan to increase my pace and distance. I ended up with a pulled Achilles tendon early this year from playing Softball but I was very careful and it healed quickly. After realizing that I need to listen to my body and not try to meet someone else's goals, because if my body is in motion beyond a walk I am running and that is the goal, I have been able to gain ability and strength and have been injury free for almost a year! My advice is that if you go for slow increases and listen to your body (which includes STOPPING if something starts to hurt, that is how my fractures happened was pushing through the initial pain) AND you have GOOD shoes you should be fine. I have read several books written by runners and done a lot of running research that has helped me come up with a plan that works for me. If you have any doubt about health or injury please see a doctor and do not attempt to diagnose yourself. Happy running!!! By the way, I have only been running for less than a year, because of the time off for injuries early on, and I have lost (and maintained) 41 pounds (as well as bringing my cholesterol numbers, which were high for my age, down over 100 points into a healthy range) and feel better than I ever have so in my opinion running can be a life saver!!
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Minnygirl1 wrote: »
    Got in 4.5 this morning. It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow (in Minnesota that means over 30 lol). So maybe tomorrow I can run outside. Yippee!!!!
    Fingers crossed for your run- as the weather around here has been less than kind, I feel your joy.
    Thanks! I've been what I'll call minor hurt before, but this is the first time it's even hurt to walk and it's been 5 days. I tried to run yesterday pain started immediately. So I'll wait. My daughter and I were supposed to run a 5K tomorrow, she'll run I'll cheer.
    Sorry you'll not be able to run, but agree wholeheartedly with your decision. Glad you'll still get so watch Skip compete. I'm cheering for her too!
    Abakan wrote: »
    Just 1.6 today to finish off my half marathon training ready for the big day tomorrow.
    Good Luck tomorrow! Do your best, have FUN, and you'll be great!
    dennie24 wrote: »
    I know it is in my best interest to do a lot of slow, easy miles but it is depressing on my pride to see just how slow my easy pace is.
    Really don't stress the pace- just do your easy miles and I promise you in no time at all the easy miles will be faster without any extra effort on your part. I understand your frustration. I had runs this spring that were 13+minute miles. Did I quit? No, I just kept plodding along- to the tune of 1,622 miles so far this year, easy and injury free.

_Date___ Miles
    Dec 1 ___7.1am+6.4pm (& a hike up Monadnock too)
    Dec 2 ___1.3 streak -snowing again
    Dec 3 ___10.4am -icy w\freezing rain (No pm run)
    Dec 4 ___4.1 beautiful clear night skies forgot I was only going out for 1 mile
    Dec 5 ___3.5
    Dec 6 ___10.4 snow & rain mix
    ____ Total ____ 43.3

exercise.png

• fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    12/6.........6.50......20.00 >>>>Hit 1,700 miles for the year

This deserves a celebration my friend! :drinker:
    Watch out though- I'm less than 80 miles behind you. :bigsmile:

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    fabnine wrote: »
    12/6.........6.50......20.00 >>>>Hit 1,700 miles for the year

This deserves a celebration my friend! :drinker:
    Watch out though- I'm less than 80 miles behind you. :bigsmile:

You both amaze me! Congrats on the 1,700 LoneWolfRunner

@fabnine - she said thanks. It's small race, between the 5K and 1 mile fun run there are under 300 runners. It's supposed to be a really fun race. I thought about walking it but Skip asked me to take pictures so I'll do that instead. We have another 5K on 20 Dec and I want to be well for that one.

• Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    fabine and LoneWolfRunner your distance run for the year is mind boggling and inspiring me to set myself a goal for next year. Congratulations to you both.

skippygirlsmom. good luck to your daughter today. I'm sure it will be hard for you to have to stand and watch but better to heal completely before getting out there again .

johnsonnelly. Great advice and well done for sticking at it through all your injuries.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    12/1 - 3.11 Miles
    12/2 - Elliptical Day
    12/3 - 3.12 Miles
    12/4 - 3.11 Miles
    12/5 - Walking Day
    12/6 - 3.16 Miles & Walk

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    2.12.2014 - 5.0 km
    6.12.2014 - 4.2 km
    7.12.2014 - 10.5 km
    19.7km (of 100km) done

exercise.png

• Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    First half marathon completed in 2 hours 31 minutes. Hard but not as hard as i expected it to be, struggled on the last half mile but over all very pleased with myself.

13.1+ 7.1= 20.2 completed 54.8 to do.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

skippygirlsmom. good luck to your daughter today. I'm sure it will be hard for you to have to stand and watch but better to heal completely before getting out there again .

She said thank you! She loves race day, she's like a race horse she can sense the excitement of the race LOL I'm sad to miss today's race, but I love being Mom and cheering her to the finish. :heart:

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    First half marathon completed in 2 hours 31 minutes. Hard but not as hard as i expected it to be, struggled on the last half mile but over all very pleased with myself.

Congratulations! Time to show off that medal :)
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    12/2 = strength training
    12/3 = 6 miles
    12/4 = strength training
    12/6 = 7 miles
    12/7 = 7 miles + 1 miles with the dog. Perfect weather! Could not have asked for better conditions on a December Sunday morning :D
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Out for my run with stroller today, apparently my jacket with my keys and license fell out of the stroller. I realized it when i got to my house and couldn't get in. So i went back out running the reverse route to find it. No where to be found, now I'm at my sister's waiting for the locksmith. Grrrr!!

12/1. 3.12 miles (regular lunch run)
    12/2. 2.25 miles (fast, speech class day)
    12/3. 2.20 miles (speech class day)
    12/4. 2.08 miles (boss in office)
    12/5 5. miles (solo run commute home, no stroller)
    12/6. 1.41 miles to swimming w/stroller
    12/6. 2.62 miles w/stroller to breakfast
    12/6. .50 miles w/stroller to ballet
    12/7. 3.10 miles w stroller
    12/7 3.27 miles solo looking for my jacket.
    Total: 25.55 miles

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Goal for December: 80 miles

12/1 root canal in the morning, and 5.18 in the afternoon.....what a day!
    12/2 3.53
    12/3 3.45
    12/4 rest
    12/5 3.85
    12/6 I. Could. Not. Just. Could. Not.
    12/7 3.88

Total: 19.89
    (ticker is my goal for 2014 and accumulation to date)

First half marathon completed in 2 hours 31 minutes. Hard but not as hard as i expected it to be, struggled on the last half mile but over all very pleased with myself: Fabulous!

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Out for my run with stroller today, apparently my jacket with my keys and license fell out of the stroller. I realized it when i got to my house and couldn't get in. So i went back out running the reverse route to find it. No where to be found, now I'm at my sister's waiting for the locksmith. Grrrr!!
    Oh no, that's terrible. I hope maybe it's in your house when you get home. But you probably remember taking it off. Maybe a kind soul will return it since it has your license in it. My husband lost his wallet in Monterey, CA this summer while we were on rented bikes and a week after we got home he got a call that it was found. Not a dollar or anything was missing.
    We weren't sure how he was going to fly home with no ID. But he did. It took a lot of interrogation and some call to DC by TSA at the airport, but he flew home without it.

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    12/3: 3.25 miles (5.23 km) @ 7:50/mi. 3.25 miles for the month. 46.75 remaining for my goal.
    12/5: 3.25 miles (5.23 km) @ 7:56/mi. 6.5 miles for the month. 43.5 remaining for my goal.
    12/7: 3.50 miles (5.63 km) @ 7:38/mi. 10.0 miles for the month. 40 remaining for my goal.

(This was a low-volume week. Next week's plan: 6K/6K/9K, barring injuries or a snowstorm.)
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options

exercise.png

first run in a week
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's awesome! B)
    Oh no, hopefully somebody found it and handed it off to the police or something, especially since it contained the license in addition to the keys. I lost my keys once while running (trough a hole in the jacket pocket), but I was lucky enough to find them again when I retraced my steps. I guess loosing the license as well would mean lots of annoying paperwork in addition to the locksmith costs... Hope it turns up again.
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    12/1 – 7.40 miles (5x1 intervals)
    12/2 – 3.52 miles (3 slow with 20 sec. sprints plus strong lifts)
    12/3 – 4.12 miles (slow)
    12/4 – 8.0 miles (1 mile warm up, 6 miles tempo, 1 mile cool down)
    12/5 – Rest day scheduled
    12/6 – Rest day unscheduled (busy day)
    12/7 – 10.02 (long run)

exercise.png