WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Good day ladies! Well going to be another nice day here, with snow coming Sunday evening. I am working a short day today so can attend DGD's school program. They are the only grade school in town that have their program at 3:30 in the afternoon. They have so many children that parents would not bring back for an evening program. Sure makes it hard for working parents to attend.
    Went to the new Bible study group last evening. Not sure how I feel about this church, will say I did learn somethings and that is important. DH says again he really likes this church and the message. I just do not do change well. So time will tell.

Joyce--So cute what DD said. Labor day!

Cynthia--I understand about the job stress. There are so many changes going on here at the hospital and so many jobs just going away. Never sure one day to the next what is going to happen. I have never understood the secrecy behind not letting people know. I just keep saying God is in control. But so many unhappy people and that does not make a happy place to be. Then today they told us our Christmas gifts ($20 gift card) were not to be this year. I don't really care, just the idea.

DeeDee--Noel looks so cute and Christmas like.

Michelle--How is Loki doing with the new meds?

Pat--Sounds like you have everything done, come visit and help me.LOL
    Sun is not coming out much today. Time to finish up and get ready to go watch DGD sing. Hugs and Prayers to all.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    I am one of those odd people ... I like fruitcake... but too much work so I make fruitcake cookies! :D
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    I did well at the Executive Lunch at work. Catered by Qdoba, I took exactly what I had typed into my diary. Then, someone handed me a chocolate chip cookie. I smelled it, typed it into my diary, and promptly put it back. I would rather have a double serving of cantalope and a coffee. :) Feeling pretty proud right now.

Terri in Milwaukee

:D That is an awesome achievement.....one of my favorite books about healthy eating devotes a whole section to "budgeting" calories.....that's why I routinely skip the sweets and opt for something with some nutrition. :D

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    I did well at the Executive Lunch at work. Catered by Qdoba, I took exactly what I had typed into my diary. Then, someone handed me a chocolate chip cookie. I smelled it, typed it into my diary, and promptly put it back. I would rather have a double serving of cantalope and a coffee. :) Feeling pretty proud right now.

Terri in Milwaukee

u go gurl!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Friday here and done JJ's Cross training before breakfast. Waiting to do her Circuit A (chest, tris and booty) plus a 1 hour dog walk after lunch.
    She makes things harder every week but I am coping, was day 6 week 3 today. Will be intersting to see what is in store for me next week when she puts meal/exercises up on Monday.
    Had JJ's cinnamon berry french toast, Linda McCartney veg and ale pie with salad for lunch.
    I log all my food here after breakfast when I have decided what I want for the day.
    Washing clothes and towels and cleaning house today.
    Hair looks really good and I am blonde again. Ebony toned down the yellow. I am normally moussy brown but fading to grey. Blonde suits me
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I discovered today that the sky is still blue above the clouds! Who knew? It has seemed like weeks since we had a sunny day. This is just a quick "hello". I am off to a holiday party. Loaded up on protein for lunch and pm snack so I plan to stay within my macros and calories.
    Toni
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good Afternoon Friends,
    welcome.gif Newcomers.

talk.gif

Rita your Brownie looks a lot like Wendy our neighbors dog I adore.

2014 word:contentment

rose.gifMNMargaret

28257843.png
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies,

I had a training this morning and then went to lunch with a good friend. I took half a day off from work so I could spend a lot of time talking and chewing very slowly.

Here is a picture of my two sweet princesses. This was at Disney Land this past weekend. poor Olivia has 6 stitches in her forehead from running in the playground the week before. I can't believe how big her baby sister Andelane is getting. Princess Via will be 3 next month and Princess Ande just turned 1 in September.
    xr5wl5fj17fi.jpg

These are my reasons for wanting to get my head straight so I can feel joy when visit them.

I hope you are all well,

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    very very wet PNW
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Marsala chicken cooking with smashed red potatoes in oven; DH home soon......DD decided to get some swimming in (???); this girl WORKS as a lifeguard, methinks there is a male in the mix somewhere.

Toni.......YAY for your sun!!!! We had it all day too. Everytime I was outside, I kept just tilting my head up to enjoy.

janemartin........Hope you got a great tree. Ours is downsized this year; just about 5ft.

Katla...........Hope your test run for DH goes well.

Sylvia.........Hope you are not feeling too badly and it passes quickly.

Terri.........Great choice!!!

yanniejannie

PS..........Robin.......What sweeties, just beautiful!!!

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good evening girls. We had some sun today also. I chose today to go to the mall and finally tackle some of the Christmas shopping. Got in the car, sun shining, reached in my purse and no sunglasses. Well, shoot, it's only a couple of miles to the mall. Many of you would have walked it!!!! It's partially sunny, I can do this. NOT!!! I did it though. I had this long list, wanted to do it all, I had all afternoon. I started at one end of the mall at J C Penny's. I have never failed at getting nice Christmas sweatshirts there. Was not to be, all sold out. But I walked all over to tried to find them. I had no idea where Forever 21 was. That's Trinity's new store she wants instead of Justice where she had always gotten her clothes, the place I knew I could trust to find something that would suit her and I would be proud of what I got for my new teenager grand child. But she is 'grown up' now and doesn't want that now. So I kind of window shopped on the way to find this new store. Finally found it and it is a big store that I had no idea where things are. Right off I find the dresses section. She wanted a dressy dress. The ones I saw were NOT the kind of dresses I wanted for my young girl. Finally some one asked me if I needed help. So she walked me through the store and I found that I would be proud to see her in. She also wanted jeans and these jeans are just plain where I had always gotten some kind of pattern and it had to have that pink heart on Justice products.

Then into Christopher Banks to get me something else Christmasy. I ended up getting 4 things I couldn't do without! LOL. Then on to Justice. By this time I have two bags, one heavy and one not so. I am still in my winter coat and carrying a purse. Hot, exhausted, and several more stores to go. So after searching Justice for my 8 year old and I am finding out I really don't know what kind of things she wants there. She wears her sister's hand me downs but I don't know what SHE wants. I end up getting an outfit,, sweater and one of those fiber optic lights she had marked in the cataloge. I inadvertently threw it away :( I sat for awhile and then got up and walked back to Penny's and then to the car. It always seems like the car has gotten further in the parking lot. Did not even attempt to finish the other things I had on my list.

Katla, the one thing that bothers me the most when I travel in a car is the numbness in my feet and legs. They normally are not numb but that was one of my first symptom of my MS. When I go home from my trip I have to do a mega sleep. I think I just push my way through my trip while I am there and then let my body collapse. With the size plane seats are now it would be very difficult. Many times I push my seat back as far as I can and put my feet up on the dash board. Just glad my hips and knees can do that. But my feet just feel like they are on fire and now that the heater is on it makes it worse. Frequent rest stops really help me.

About cookie exchange. My work place decided to do that one time. We set one day as the day to bring all the cookies in. Well people would forget or didn't work that day and brought it in the next day they worked. So the cookies weren't fresh, I didn't like some of them. Never again!!!! Now the fruitcake. I just finished watching Wheel of fortune and one of the puzzles was Old fashioned fruitcake. I said of course ti would be old fashioned because that's how old the fruitcake is. I am sorry if I have offended any of you who make them or love to eat them. You have a unique taste bud!

Love the pictures of animals, kids and grand kids. I still can't figure out how to post mine, Joyce , Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »

Love the pictures of animals, kids and grand kids. I still can't figure out how to post mine, Joyce , Indiana

Joyce, if you have photos saved in files on your computer, it is easy to post them. At the top of the reply box is an icon that looks like a paper with a folded corner. Click on it and you'll see a box and the word "Browse". Click on browse and you can go to a file on your computer with the picture you want and click "open" and it will post.

• bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, just stopping in to say I'm still here reading the posts, I'm like a lot of you, dealing with depression and not feeling up to checking in but I want to let everyone know how much the posts are helping me. And that I am praying for those who have lost loved ones and those who are
    taking care of loved ones and those with children that are dealing with the migraines and other health issues.

This is a tough time of year for those who have lost a loved one. Yesterday was 3 yrs since my dad's passing, Saturday will be a year for my brother and 4 months since my son in law died, and in June my daughter, son in law and grandson moved to Colorado. So it's been a very emotional year and the old me would have shut down and eat tons of comfort food. But because I continued to post my food and exercise, (even though it was mostly walking) and reading how everyone else dealt with their ups and down kept me accountable. So Thank you lovely ladies for sharing your life with us.
    Brenda from Md
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    stats for the day. it was WINDY!! I hate the wind!!! & riding uphill didn't help :0(
    Ride hm 2 gym- 12.55min 13.8amph 3mi
    ski machine- 25min, 30-35resist, 1.18mi
    jump rope fast incl single leg- 11min
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.33min, 12.9amph 1.4mi
    ride dome 2 hm - 19.36min 8.2amph, 2.7mi, WINDY, heavy bag
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Barbie, problem is that I don't know how to transfer the pictures I have on my iPad to those files. I have most of them on face book but how do I put them in my computer on files. I know when I select 'save to' I don 't know how to proceed from there.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie: Thanks for your good wishes for a successful test run for DH & travel. We heard from the physical therapist and she was very encouraging. :flowerforyou:

Brenda from MD: Sending hugs. You’ve had a tough year and you’re taking care of yourself. That means something. Continue to take care. :heart:

We are having a humongous windstorm. We managed to get down to the boat and secure it well before the winds arrived. We still have our power on, and that makes our area luckier than many other places in NW Oregon. The temperatures have been quite warm for December. Today’s high was about 57 degrees.

graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Welcome to all the newcomers. It's good to have you here. I love reading everyone's entries and I find it so amazing to read about different traditions all over the world. I just love it!

Well ladies, I think tonight that Benadryl will be my friend! I went to bed last night fairly early, but couldn't sleep and when I finally did get to sleep, I woke up every hour. I was so blasted tired when I got to work at 3:30 a.m. It was really comical!

My granddaughters presented the gifts to the Burn Center tonight and everyone was so sweet to them. One of the local television stations interviewed them. They were so cute and I was told they will be on the 10:00 pm news tonight. Now you know as sleepy as I am that I am staying up to see it! This was one proud Nana! Afterwards, we went to McDonald's and I just ate a salad and water. It's really becoming so much easier for me to do that now than it was a couple of months ago. I'm not feeling deprived or feeling sorry for myself that I'm not eating what everyone else is eating! Yay! Prayers are being answered!

DrKatie - I love your post about "I Deserve a Donut". I never really thought about it like that. I think I'm going to like the App/Book and I think it's something that I could benefit from.

Barbie - You are so correct. Our culture really does consider it ok to over indulge. I read where you no longer eat for recreation. As much as I like your resolve, I'm not sure with the culture where I live that I'll ever be able to do that because going out to eat or cooking for family and friends is such a huge part of how I was brought up and where I live. I can, however, learn to make better choices about the food that I cook and consume and I think that I'm already starting to do that. It's not always popular when my children get together because I refuse to cook the things that really tempt me.

Cynthia - Good luck with the job. It's so stressful to be in a situation where you don't know what will happen with your job/income. Saying a prayer for you!

Heather - I had to laugh out loud about the cookies! Some of my neighbors give cookies and/or candy that they have made each year. I'm always gracious, but as a diabetic, I just give them to DH, the children, or the grandchildren. I'd prefer to give everyone oranges from our tree! Can't really have many of those either with the diabetes! So I guess I might not be any better...hmmmm...I never thought of that before!

Beth - Thanks for your concern. I really appreciate it!

Oh and to all the grandmothers - Thank you so much for saying how much energy it takes to have the grandchildren over! I was beginning to feel like a wimp! Ha! Ha! I simply adore all of my grandchildren but Lord help me, they are a handful! My 20 month old grandson is so precious and every time he sees me he says, "I hold you Nana!" and then he says, "I go you house, Nana!". He's stayed with us several times and I seriously can't get anything done when any of them are here and then when they leave I'm exhausted! By gosh, you know, I wouldn't have it any other way. I guess being exhausted is better than not getting time with them.

I love all the posts of family and furbabies, too. We don't have pets anymore, but I still love seeing everyone enjoying theirs.

Hugs to all!

Barb from South Louisiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr Jari Love Extremely Ripped 1000 DVD. Tomorrow's plan is to go to the Humane Society to drop off coupons and my aluminum then take the deep water class.

After exercising went and volunteered at the Green Room after stopping at the food kitchen. Got lots of my crocheting done....we weren't real busy. Came home and then went to Aldi, they were out of a lot of things but then had to go to WalMart, then home to get dinner ready. Helped Vince bring train track in from the other garage, made Garlic Spinach balls (that Vince won't eat, I did get him some pizza bites that he'll eat because he won't have the quiches that I got or the pinwheels). He may eat some of the cookies that I made, I also have some candy.

I almost died of embarassment yesterday. While we were at lunch, one gal said to me "do I need to respond to you if we're coming to your open house". Well, I didn't invite some of the people at the table, I know them but I'm not real close to them. I just said "it would be nice". Then she said "didn't you invite everyone?" dhhhh...all she had to do was look at who the invite was sent to and she'd know that it wasn't sent to everyone. Another gal rescued me and said "only the bowling people", which isn't the exact truth, I also invited some people who I'm close to. But not everyone!!!!! You know, since we've been in Newcomers, she has never once hosted a social. She has a good sized home, but not once has she hosted. Well, I'll live.

Joyce - happy birthday to Michelle. Mom's labor day....lol

sassy - you are so creative. I would never have thought of "lights". Thanks for the idea. I just bought more toothpicks since I think I'll make another veggie tree for the bowling luncheon. Vince wants the desserts, he thinks a veggie tree is "yuk", but I don't.

DeeDee - Noel looks so precious! We're trying to figure out how to get the new med into Loki. He wasn't keen at all on it being forced on him so we tried putting it in his food. Nope, that didn't work. We just may have to take him into the bathroom and force it into him. Jess was telling me today that she took Lance to a vet up there in VA. The vet is basically on board with the vet here. She thought lance was in a bit of pain so he's now on "kitty pain pills"....lol Well, anything to keep him comfortable. She's supposed to go away this weekend and have a pet service come in to check on him. She actually told them "if he dies while I'm away, just put his body in the freezer". I'm sure they're going to be praying every time they enter her apartment that he isn't dead!

Heather - I may have a few cookies, and if they're something that Vince doesn't like (like snickerdoodles), I give them to the soup kitchen

Ordered a Christmas tree skirt today that needs to be latch hooked. I found the pattern for the skirt that we have under the tree right now, wonder if I can make it somewhat larger?

Rita your one grandson may have been acting silly (what else is new?) but his eyes.....to die for

katla - loved your pic of the train around the tree

Sylvia - what a lovely lunch you had!

terri - congrats on putting that cookie back. You have every right to be proud

Robin - those girls of yours ARE princesses. Ouch for Olivia!

One of the things that I don't like about cookie exchanges is the fact that some people exchange store-bought cookies.

Brenda - come in more often, you were missed. Boy, life has sure handed you a lot this past year, but you are strong and will make it.

pipcd - what is jump rope fast incl single leg? I get the jump rope fast including -- but how do you include single leg? What is it?

katla - stay safe!

I keep having what I think are mini-hot flashes. I'm not sweating but I just get hot all over, then I'm cold. One minute I'll be sitting with my housecoat on, the next I wish I was in shortie pajamas. Ah....the joys of getting older....lol I do have to say that I credit my not dripping sweat with the fact that I'm exercising

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Katla, I have seen pictures of the storms up there in the Pacific north west and they look awful. Same for those of you in California, You guys stay safe.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone.

Very windy day today with some rain. I was supposed to go to a work dinner; I almost never go, but I thought, this would be the last time with this group. But I am staying home.

Michele: hope this doesn’t offend you, but Jess going away while Lance is so ill she warns about him possibly dying…I can’t get my head around it. He deserves her company and care.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    slept well last night.. got alot done and will try and get some things done before work.. then after 5 pm we are on vacation!!!!
    love all the grandchildren and puppies.... so nice to get a peek into your lives.. we will be leaving at 3 am tomorrow dont know if I will be able to check in.. but will try