WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    dstirratt wrote: »
    My inner child pouted last night about taking a walk - too cold, too wet. I kicked her in the butt though and got on my boots and winter gear and got myself out there. I really enjoyed it and was glad I did it. My puppy was very excited too!

Diana in Northeast Indiana

Way to go, Diana.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
    kickinmom wrote: »
    I just found this board. How do i bookmark?

I'm 54 and just starting to lose again after years (and yes I mean that) of trying and not losing. Finally found the key which for me was the right supplements and changing up my blood pressure med. I also gave up wheat which I've found makes me hold weight. That makes me a little sad as it means I won't be able to enjoy my grandmother's cookie recipe, but it made my butt big so I'm not sad about that! ;)

I even lost over Thanksgiving!

hello, when you're in the room, there should be a faded star to the right of the words "WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014" click on it. annnd BAM!
  • juliedee20
    juliedee20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group! Getting ready to turn 53 in February! My November goals were to only allow myself a 1 lb gain during Thanksgiving; gained 3 which I'm still trying to lose. My December goal is to reach my goal weight which is only a few pounds away but has been very difficult to reach. I never had a weight problem until I hit my late 40's and have never had to be on a diet. Boy, have things changed! Now I gain weight if I even look at food! Oh well, I think I'm at least in good company! Looking forward to reading everyone's journeys to a healthy weight and lifestyle!

Julie, Tennessee :)
  • hlbrennan
    hlbrennan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm 56 years old, married with 3 adult children. We live in Florida and I am a children's librarian. I love cooking, gardening, knitting and reading. Plus I am a hardcore gamer. I play MMORPG's. I'm an Avoidance Tank, my Bestie is the Main Tank, and she is good! I'm a geek as you can tell. (I love to talk gaming, cooking, reading or knitting, so if you are any of these too, feel free to add me as a friend!)
    Then, I hit puberty.. oh, I mean Menopause.. ;) and thought I was done for. But, I found out first hand that you actually CAN lose weight whilst in menopause! I've lost 36 pounds since March 2014! I used to be a runner in high school and college. I'll never run again due to a knee injury but I love to dance and hula hoop! Anything to stay active and fit.
    Well anyway, I have 25 more pounds to go, and now with all the holidays hitting, I've stalled, but thank God I haven't gained anything! :)
    It is very nice to meet you all!

Heidi from Florida
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    Carol prayers for this stressful time. Moving is not easy even in the best of circumstances. Remember the oxygen. You come first.
    :heart:MNMargaret
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Good morning again. My computer dicided to crash this morning and lost the post I had started. So here we go again. I am so behind on getting things done for Christmas and it is coming so fast. Most the time I have my cards done and mailed the first or second of December. Oh well I will get them done. Have not started wrapping yet, but do have shopping done for the most part. This Saturday we are doing breakfast with Santa with part of the grandchildren. Then afterwards going to DS's to make cookies. I do want to pack some up and have the kids give them to people in the park that stay there during the day when the shelter is closed. Never did understand why they will not let them stay during the day, but they make them leave like 8-5 everyday. Last year Paytn and us went and passed out $2 bills and she learned the Blessings of giving, so do it this year with 5 of them.

drkatiebug--Thanks for the info. I have a WalMart straight talk phone, I did get a new one this last weekend as mine was old and not working well. Anyway I am slowly figuring out this new one and so far like it. Anyway I am going to have DH down load that app for me. Sure will be worth it to keep me on track.

Welcome to all the new ladies--Hope to see you post often and get to know us. This is a great group.

Beth--Glad DS was moved to another class. I do hope someone is doing something about the teacher and the bullying. Hope DS and aide is worked out. I hope he learned no matter what to report things.

Diana--Congrates on pushing that inter child to the walk. I have that problem also and need to kick her in the ### to get out there as she wins alot more then not. I know once I get going I feel so much better.
    We are joinning a new Bible study group this evening. We have been checking out different churchs since ours sent a message early this summer wanting people to sign up for direct deposit for offering so our money could be there when we are not. I understand they need money to stay open, but when they care more about that then me. Also they have acouple new minsters and we just have not clicked. I do feel God puts us where he wants us and that means moving sometimes. Anyway we have attended this church a couple times and DH wants to make it our home church for now. So will see how this goes. I am trying to keep an open mind. I just do not do change well. Have a good day ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new ladies. Like Heather and several others, I’ve been around here a couple of years, have lost the weight I needed to lose, and am sticking around for the support offered so generously by this group of women. My best advice is to count every calorie and log every bite and swallow. If you blow it on one day, the next day is new with no mistakes in it yet. Keep going and don’t give up. :flowerforyou:

On a personal level, we are planning a car trip to CO to be with DD and the grandkids for Christmas. I am nervous about the weather and also how the long ride may impact DH’s recovery from recent back surgery. I’ve decided to encourage him to discuss it with his PT before making a final decision. Advice is welcome. :bigsmile:

Enjoy the season.

graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!!! Guess what...........we have SUN, glorious SUN!!!!! (and 52 for temp)!!!
    Gym this am for ladies exercise class. Then grocery shopping. Made something new last night. Russian cabbage soup: I loved it, DH ate a small bowl (but complained), and DD ate something else..........nothing new. Toooooooo Baaaaad........(not really) cause there's plenty left---for me!!!

Going to a nearby city tonight for a "Dancing with the Stars" show for Special Olympics. I am helping to financially sponsor a good friends daughter who has Downs syndrome. She is an amazing young woman in her late 20's and a super dancer; so, should be fun.

Made a dent in my list of todo yesterday but still plenty on it. Stayed up way too late last night watchng tv. and ended up sleepng on couch. BTW, my back is OK again; has been fine since Monday night.....go figure. Fingers crossed it continues to be painfree.

No time, have to go, welcome newbies!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic.........where it is SUNNY!!!!!!!!

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!!
    hugs jane
  • ElainePelletier
    ElainePelletier Posts: 7
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am new to the group and I'm just trying to figure things out as I go along. I'm looking for support and inspiration. I like reading people's success stories. I just started the treadmill yesterday. So it's a new habit I'm just beginning to form. I still have to get used to it. Also I'm still getting used to logging everything I eat. But I'm certainly looking forward to pointers and what works for others.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wow! More new friends! Welcome!

Yanniejannie - glad your back is better. I know what you mean about the SUN. We are still waiting to see it in Tennessee. Except for a few occasional patches of blue we have been cloudy for forever!

Heather and Sylvia - You are busy bees right now with your open house and dinner. It makes me feel lazy.

To those that exercise outside - Way to go (neither rain, sleet, or snow....) I am glad I am a gym rat. I think I would have a hard time not using the weather as an excuse.

Drkatie - thanks for the info about the app and book. I am going to get them. My faith plays a big part in this journey. It sounds like the app would be so good for me. Are you the one who has also read "Made to Crave"? I am planning on rereading it in Jan.

My news -
    My friends at the Y are excited about my job. They are always so positive and encouraging! I guess this MedicareMavin is able to learn something new. This was my first job interviews since 1992.

I'm going to spend the afternoon with my best friend (lives in another town).We are skipping the eating part of our usual outing and going straight to shopping and then coffee after. I still need a present for my sister who lives in Kansas. I need to buy it and mail it soon.

Have a great evening, ladies.
    Toni in Tennessee
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I am married with one daughter who is 20 and in college and a step-daughter who is 28 and married and has given us 2 wonderful grandsons. I work full time and my hubby does also and our workplaces are across the street from one another which is really nice. We can have lunch together if he isn't out on deliveries.

I have about 25 pounds I want to lose. I lost it about 6 years ago but slowly it is creeping back. Much harder to lose for me once menopause hit. And I have a belly which I never had so much before. I am also short (5'1") so of course I don't get a lot of calories per day and still lose. Stalled out for a couple of weeks but mainly because of Thanksgiving and then the next weekend the grandsons (age 2 and 4) being here. Harder to be mindful of what I eat when they are around. I do think that by this weekend I will have lost a bit though.

I am going to exercise class twice a week and really enjoying that. It is helping with both feeling better and with flexibility.

Lisa in NE Missouri
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! It's cold and drizzling here today. I'm in the studio with the space heater on but my fingers are frozen. I've turned on the heat in the back but the furnace in the gallery hasn't been lit yet this year. Have to warm up a little before I try to wash windows and mop floors. I drove to Joplin this morning to pick up some pots from a friend who said I could use them in my open house, and he wasn't there! I got all the way home and he called and said he forgot. So, I have to make another trip tomorrow morning. Oh well, drive time is relaxing time.

Then I went to the store and bought a rotisserie chicken for hubby's X-Mas party, and solved the parking problem by having him pick me up at the store and drive me to his building. He has a parking sticker on HIS car! So, there wasn't a single thing I could eat at the party, except a few chunks of pineapple, but even those were the canned kind in heavy syrup, so I only ate three. Then I had a brainstorm and WALKED back to the store for my car. It's only about 1/4 mile, and would have been nice except that it started raining. It was 36 degrees, so it didn't freeze. Oh well, at least I got to walk a little and my bruised heel felt OK. That was encouraging. The department secretary came up to me at the party and said she didn't recognize me at all. She had to ask somebody who I was. She thought maybe I was from Biology or something. I thought that was funny. That always makes my day.

Welcome to all the new ladies!!! I hope you will stay a while and we can get to know you. So many people post once an then never again. We would love to get to know you better!

Lisa, how sweet that you work across the street from each other. I think that would be nice. Close, but not too close. Aren't grandkids the most wonderful invention EVER?!! What is your daughter studying?

Toni, I have to shop for SIL's and ship them, and have not even started. Probably won't till next week.

Elaine, when I started, I tried to think of logging my food as a little game I was playing with myself. When I didn't go over my calories, I won! Lately, I haven't been logging much, but by now I know what I can eat and how much, so it's easier. I go back to it every once in a while for a refresher. Portion control and cutting salt are what helped me the most, I think. And I have become a label reader. First thing, I read the label and see how much sodium it has, then put it back.

Jan, I'm so glad you finally got some sunshine. Just the thing to help chase the blues away. Glad your back is better.

Katla, I hope your trip goes well and hubby doesn't have too much trouble. I remember once we went to New Orleans and hubby's back went out and I had to drive all the way back to Kansas. He was miserable, poor thing. We went to the ER in New Orleans and they gave him muscle relaxers and pain pills, so he was doped up most of the way home. That helped.

Heidi, welcome! I spend WAY too much time playing computer games, but mostly just Words with Friends and solitaire and Mahjong. I have no idea what you were talking about, and certainly don't want to get hooked on something new. :s Sounds like you have fun with it though. That's important. And if your hands are busy it's harder to eat!

Julie, welcome! I tried to hula hoop a couple of years ago and thought that was a good way to exercise. I bought it and took it home and only then realized that it barely fit around my enormous middle. Maybe I will try it again in another 20 pounds or so.

Carol, I completely banned cookies from my diet, but one day I had a terrible craving for a cookie, so I went to the store and bought some 100 calorie packs of cookies. It gives me a little taste but I can control the portions. Of course, that won't work with christmas cookies. Hmmm. Maybe somebody should make some 100 calorie packs of christmas cookies. You would open the bag and find a fourth of a cookie.

Well, I have to get busy. Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia
    45477098.png

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Just found something!!! If you click on somebody else's ticker (or your own) it comes up with a link asking what you want to do: update your ticker, change the style of your ticker, or get the code for your ticker. I can't believe it was that easy. I've been searching and searching back through old posts looking for the link to find my ticker. Good grief!

If that wasn't funny enough, here is the joke for the day:

:)

Little Billy wanted $100 badly and prayed for two weeks but nothing happened.

Then he decided to write God a letter requesting the $100. When the postal authorities received the letter addressed to God, USA, they decided to send it to President Bush.

The President was so impressed, touched, and amused that he instructed his secretary to send Billy a $5.00 bill.

President Bush thought this would appear to be a lot of money to a little boy.

Billy was delighted with the $5.00 and sat down to write a thank you note to God, which read:

Dear God,

Thank you very much for sending the money, however, I noticed that for some reason you had to send it through Washington D.C. and, as usual, those crooks deducted $95.00.

Thanks,

Billy

:D
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I only have a minute to pop in…

I check on everyone every day, but rarely have the couple of minutes at a keyboard to write myself.

Work has been a total zoo. They actually released software a little ahead of schedule. My job is writing the training material for how to use it, so I am scrambling to create/update material ahead of when I was planning.

I don’t do much for Christmas. So I am not in the same scramble as many of you. DGD will be south with DD visiting the in-laws. That only leaves two of the DS’s and the SO. (The other DS is in the navy at sea this year.) A couple of years ago, I decreed that we did need anything and you don’t need anything. IF something strikes your fancy, fine, but no OBLIGATIONS!!! Heck, go to your in-laws if it is important to them. I will get scratch-it lottery tickets for after dinner and that’s it. They all love it! I do the two special Christmas cookies (cream wafers and springerlies) and a simple dinner. Everyone who is in town hangs around, eats, maybe lights the burn pile, and chats. Very low stress and relaxing.

Hugs to everyone struggling. Remember there a lots of us out there pulling for you.

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.

Sally W.
    Oregon

exercise.png

weight.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Trying to see if ticker shows up ... Lost another pound today.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 48016192.png}

Ok ... Why all the code.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thursday and day 5 week 3 of Jeannette's challenge. The breakfast frittata was really yummy.
    Weight is going UP again due to weights but will see on Monday
    I am off to hairdressers this afternoon for re-dye and cut.
    My daughter seems to want to be friends again. Will see, at least she sent a nice card.

Our Woolworth's in Australia is going strong, they sell all groceries, great meat, fruit and veg. We used to go to butchers for meat but not happy 3 weeks ago and I can pick the meat i want at Woolie's. Asos used to go to Food Barn for fruit and veg, changed a year ago due to poor produce. Better buying in all one place now and easier to do banking

We have a quiet Christmas just me, hubby and dog.

Lesley in Tasmania
  • tngram2seven
    Options
    This is just a ticker test. Thanks, Sylvia, for passing this info along.
  • tngram2seven
    Options
    Oops, didn't work that time.