WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,560 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Exertion- g is for gear. The spin bikes have a gear1-24, so I may start on gear 11 or 12 and May go up to a 17 when going on a hill.

exermom, damn auto correct!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just wanted to show you the type of hugs I have been getting lately at home. 75 pound chocolate hugs.
    ohxd6odnqpcp.jpg
    And my favorite Pentatonix song is their version of Carol of the Bells. I love singing the girls part with them.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    PNW

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Today is another gloomy day, but I see both coasts of the US are getting bad weather. Take Care ! ! !

DS just pulled a muscle in his shoulder, so that is good.

Toni - Congrats on the recent loss.

Joyce - I still remember the first time I sang "O Holy Night" in church in Des Plaines IL. Then we moved to Palatine IL, and the new church had a lady who was better than me, so I got to be in the choir, and sang parts of "Do You Hear What I Hear" or "Silent Night" as solo instead. Such fond memories. Now I only go to church when DS does not have a sport (which is much too rare), so I sing at work, or in the car.

DrKatie - When I have a phone that uses apps, I will probably ask you again for the "donut" one. It sounds like a wonderful idea. I need help telling myself I didn't earn the "junk" that I often crave, and that makes me reward myself with something better for my body and soul.

Carol - Your plan for your daughter sounds structured and respectful. Sunshine, exercise, and accountability for sleep patterns will be nice for both of you. She is lucky to have you, and that you have such a flexible job that she can hang out with you when the need arises. I send you many hugs.

Viv - I send you hugs. I hope you take care of yourself, and move forward at the speed that works for you!

Sylvia - Hugs.

In fact, Hugs all around ! ! !

Since DS and DH don't care if I put up a Christmas tree at home, I have a little one at work. I decorate it with different flavors of candy canes, and people take what they want. I also play Christmas music as soon as the earliest radio station makes "the switch". Both the patients and my co-workers laugh when they catch me singing and/or dancing. ;)

Hope everyone can make the best of today ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    OK, I just mopped the floor in the back three times and it needs at least one more. I sent out an e-mail blast to 400 people telling them about the open house. It's the e-mail list from our clay group. (Only about 14 have bounced back as undeliverable, so I thought that was pretty good.) Then went to the newspaper and placed an ad to run for three days. Hubby tried to put up my sign that says Holiday Open House this morning - with duct tape! It's heavy plywood, so it will need some real screws, but he had to go to work, so will do it later.

This afternoon I hope to get another glaze load in the kiln, then will wash the windows, mop one more time, and then start moving the pedestals and tables into place. Right now they are all crammed into the front gallery, so once they are gone I can dust the shelves, sweep and mop up front. Then put up the Christmas lights and other decorations. I will have to go buy some more lights, I think.

Busy, busy, busy.

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

MAN:

1) Pull up to machine

2) Wind window down

3) Insert ATM card, enter PIN

4) Retrieve cash

5) Drive away

WOMAN:

1) Pull up to machine

2) Open door (too far away from machine)

3) Search through all of the 112 compartments in handbag for ATM card

4) Do make up, apply lipstick, fix hair

5) Insert Card

6) Remove card

7) Insert card the correct way up

8) Search for piece of paper with PIN on it

9) Enter PIN

10) Enter correct PIN

11) Retrieve cash, put in bag

12) Drive off

13) Reverse back to machine

14) Retrieve card

15) Drive three miles away

16) Release hand-brake

:D
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: My Christmas cactus has started blooming. It has a few blooms and lots of buds. So beautiful to see those bright blooms this time of year.

Went to gastroenterologist for 3-month follow-up for reflux today. According to her scale I have lost 6 lbs. Yeah! She told me last time that raising the head of the bed and losing weight were the only two lifestyle changes really proven to improve reflux so I have been sleeping on a wedge pillow and lost some weight but still on the meds.

Viv - Glad you were able to post again. They say the first year is the hardest. Hang in there.

Sylvia - Wish I could come to your open house.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies, does anyone use a Total gym ?? and what do you think u burn cal. wise say 30 min time??
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,793 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! Hope this finds all going well for each of you. Sending prayrers. I did well at weigh in this morning down 3+ pounds, so believe I am back on track. Enjoied the girls dance programs on Sunday. Do think they need to figure something else out instead of two programs. It was a long afternoon. But both girls did well and had fun. Been working on Christmas cards and have about 3\4 done. My plan is to get the rest of them done in the next couple days. Time is just flying by.
    Rita--sending hugs and prayers to feel better soon.
    Allison--Great news about DFIL and glad the doctor found no swelling. I think sometimes they say PT because they don't know what else to do. But you know your body.
    sweetnsassyfied--Thanks for sharing about the days of Christmas, sounds very interesting and would be great to see.
    Kim--so many cookies and I was thinking I did well making about 10 dozen to give away with my grandchildren. Do you have like a cookie swap?
    Cynthia--sending lots and lots of hugs.
    Carol--Hope things are all better with DD and you were able to find the help she needs. The plan you have with DD sounds very workable. Keeping you both in my prayers.
    Sylvia--Sounds like your friends are very supportive.
    Beth--sounds like DS has alot of talent. Hope he gets the headaches figured out. Not easy seeing our child hurt.
    Barbie--You ear rings sound cheerful and fun.
    drkatiebug--Thanks for the info and I am going to get out the book, how much did the app cost on your phone?
    I love the song Mary Did you know and What Child is This. I am enjoying the Christmas movies in the evening, so many new ones. Watched more TV the last week then the last 6 months.
    Viv--Good to see you posting. You do what you have to do for yourself. There is no set way to do things, just take care of yourself and know we are here for you. Keeping you in my prayers.
    Robin--Love the hugs, my furbabies are smaller, but they love the cuddles also. They sure know how to make me smile and feel better.
    Went to DGD's dance on Sunday and was so proud of them. Well ladies take care and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Viv, so glad you felt like checking in. You grieve on your own time schedule, not any one elses. I read a book one time that said the grieving process is like peeling an onion. It comes one layer at a time.

Charlie told me last night that he only got half the yard mulched yesterday. I assumed since he was out for so long that he had gotten both the front and the back. So this afternoon he is going to try the back which is much larger than the front. It's not sunny this afternoon like it was yesterday. His cardiologist told him no heavy work in the cold but he has not paid any attention to that at all. I told him to make sure that he took his phone with him. We don't have a big plot. I think the whole thing is about 1/3 an acre and the 2200 square foot house is on that. His first heart attack was in March, 2013, second was Feb 2014 so now I am just worried the next one will be in Jan 2013. I do't like this difficulty doing an activity he is used to doing

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sassy aus Austria: Were you born in the US? Your English is excellent and amazingly American. Your cheese and grape tree sounds wonderful. I’ll be at my daughter’s in CO for Christmas if all goes well. It would be fun to make a fruit tree for the festivities although I wonder about the safety of toothpicks for the three year old. Advice on that issue is welcome. I hope that I have the energy to do it. The altitude change can be a real challenge at times. :flowerforyou:

Angie: Welcome. :flowerforyou:

Viv: I continually send healing thoughts your way. :heart: :flowerforyou:

I know I’ve missed many people this morning, but I’m don’t have enough time. We’re making reservations for hotels in CO this morning. I like cheap, and we could stay with DD but her home is chaotic and we wouldn’t get adequate rest. Wish us luck in finding something where we can feel safe and comfortable.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,229 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi there!

Dr Katie - your app sounds great! For anyone who is not religious a similar idea is a book THE BECK DIET SOLUTION. by Judith Beck. It's a CBT approach, but with much the same ideas of committing to self and writing down excuses etc. I have it on my Kindle. :D

Bought some fabulous and very reasonable bedside lights this afternoon, plus an absolutely beautiful main lampshade. They are all from a popular chain home store, so not expensive, but look great. We put all the furniture back this afternoon and love it! Going to wait for the blind tomorrow before we move back in. The smell of the new underlay and carpet needs to wear off a bit!
    I hope my back has survived all the furniture lugging! :ohwell: Trouble is, I now don't want to put all our junk back in! I will buy a new wastepaper basket tomorrow.

Tomorrow I am going to do a big shop for some of our entertaining. I have now written everything down on two sheets of A4 and feel a lot calmer. I need 8 eggplants tomorrow! We have the dinner party on Friday and I am preparing for pre and post Christmas as well. I have found a way to make some of my preparations do for two separate occasions so that will save me effort. One dish for DSD #2 will also suit the grandchildren. Hooray! I love things I can freeze in portions. One dish for DSIL and the veggie boyfriend comes from skinnytaste.com, so that's good.
    Michele - to answer your question, yes I sometimes am disappointed in restaurant food, but not often as I choose very nice restaurants and try to pick things I don't have at home. I'm often more disappointed with the service and atmosphere, which is what you are paying the premium for. If I am paying good money I want to be made to feel special. :bigsmile: Some restaurants are so good at this, others don't have a clue. :ohwell:

Sylvia - I hope your show goes wonderfully! Wish I could come. :flowerforyou:

Carol - you are doing an amazing job!

DH seems to have got over his grump. He always does. :love:

Now I want to look out for a new duvet cover set. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions. . . .

Cynthia - Don't know how you have done so much remodelling! One bedroom has been sooooo hard.

Heather in windy Hampshire UK, just a little bit deaf from catarrh! ! ! :ohwell:
    27681614.png
  • bcamaione
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Bridget.
    I just turned 50
    I've been yo yo dieting for the last 5 years.
    I reached my heaviest in October which was 207lbs.
    My dr. Told me that I'm post menopausal
    Started a lifestyle change on October 26, 2014 with clean eating. No junk food, no soda, limiting my carb intake as well as added sugars. I've been exercising for an hour a day, treadmill and Jillian michaels body revolution.
    I also started a non GMO multi vitamin daily
    I've lost 11lbs so far and this time I'm going to keep going
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Another dreary day,at least it`s not raining.
    Have a good day!!
    hugs jane
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm going to join all of you. I am 53 years old and trying once again to lose the weight that creeps back on. I have been logging my food consistently for 30 days! I know for me that is the key to losing.

I did pretty well sticking to my plan all through November and did go way over one day. But I have lost 5 pounds this month and am happy with that. This past weekend we had our grandsons and I again went over on my calories both days but not by much.

The biggest thing I have done to lose and feel better this time is to go to exercise class that we have here held 2 days a week. It is usually Zumba dance but sometimes fast walking or Richard Simmons DVDs. I started this back in September and haven't missed a class yet.

My goals for the remainder of December:
    1. Log all food and stay within my caloric limit each day except the three days I have dinners to attend. On those days I plan to be more mindful of my eating, enjoying a bit of the things I want but not going overboard.
    2. Exercise an additional day per week over the exercise class - I bought the Zumba DVDs for myself so I can do that.
    3. Ignore the goodies that my coworkers insist on bringing to work- particularly the candy dish that appeared after Halloween and mysteriously continues to be refilled daily.

That should be doable. :)

Lisa from NE Missouri
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    DH wants to go to the grocery store with me this evening. That means it will take twice as long, cost 4 times as much, and will include all kinds of pizza and ice cream and other junk that I hate to have around. :'( I hope I have the strength to resist it until he and DS have it gone. Lately my "sleep eating for hot flash" has been popsicles (unlike Bridgett, I'm still in the midst of menopause, and not happy about it). I love the ones with mixed flavors, and that are kinda' soft, like an Italian Ice. If you have any suggestions, I hope you'll let me know.

Hope everyone is making it a great day.

Terri in Milwaukee
  • ElainePelletier
    ElainePelletier Posts: 7
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hello Everyone. I am new to MFP. I am 50 years old. I will be 51 in February. I am struggling with my weight and also going through menopause. I look forward to reading your comments that I may find helpful.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday here and Jeannette wants Cardio so Wii boxing, then Sexy Abs cardio sculpt this morning, and then 1 hour walk after lunch. All going OK.
    Did all shopping yesterday and bought ham, Christmas pud and cake and biscuits and did not break the bank. Stan decided he did NOT like meat at butchers and prefers meat at Woolworth's and I agree, plus I can make decisions myself. Plus he prefers the bacon from there. We started buying fruit and veg at Woolworth's last year as veg barn had gone WAY down. Living in Tasmania they get meat, fruit and veg from nearby farms and ship in other stuff, and it is cheaper.
    Have washed clothes, have basket of ironing, cleaning and cooking to do.
    Stan has gone fishing.
    I have decided to treat myself to FitBit Charge HR at $179 next year, so all in one place
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • pipcd34
    Options
    bcamaione wrote: »
    Hi everyone, my name is Bridget.
    I just turned 50
    I've been yo yo dieting for the last 5 years.
    I reached my heaviest in October which was 207lbs.
    My dr. Told me that I'm post menopausal
    Started a lifestyle change on October 26, 2014 with clean eating. No junk food, no soda, limiting my carb intake as well as added sugars. I've been exercising for an hour a day, treadmill and Jillian michaels body revolution.
    I also started a non GMO multi vitamin daily
    I've lost 11lbs so far and this time I'm going to keep going

you go gurl! just keep it up., it'll get easier
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    holy cow. 4 pages already. I can't keep up but i'll say hi and thinking about you. Meg
  • pipcd34
    Options
    my stats for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 13.21min 13.3amph 3mi
    jog- 35min 11.07ap, 4.5sp w/4.5incl., then 6.4-8.0sp no incl.3.15mi
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.03min 12.1amph 1.5mi
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.59min 9.3amph 2.6mi