What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    cdez80421 wrote: »
    People saying "muscle weighs more than fat" grrrr... :neutral_face:

Wait, why does this bother you? I mean, it's true.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    "I barely eat at all and I'm extremely over weight."

Sorry buddy, but that's not the way things work 99% of the time. You ARE eating more than you think. If you weren't, you wouldn't be fat.

"I thought you were on a diet, so why are you eating _____?"

Because I can eat whatever I want in moderation... IIFYM my dear :smile:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Its not true,a pound is a pound muscle is just more dense than fat and takes up less space but it all weighs the same.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Its not true,a pound is a pound muscle is just more dense than fat and takes up less space but it all weighs the same.

I can't believe people are so dense as to not get that.
    "I mean, it's true."

That's so wrong it's offensive.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Can't tell if serious....
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

When people say this, they really mean "By volume, muscle weighs more than fat". Meaning that 1 cm^3 of muscle weighs more than 1 cm^3 of fat. Which IS true. People just drop off those first two words.
  • Amzing_amy
    Options
    When people don't bat an eyelid if I pick up 2lts of coke or a slab of choc but if I pick up vegetable juice or rye crackers they feel obliged to tell me why they aren't healthy and I should just get more exercise. F**k the f**k off! my bmi doesnt give you the right to critique my trolley.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Can't tell if serious....
    I'm never sure if the people who argue "a pound is a pound" are serious.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    what I really hate is how its okay to say rude things about how I live my life and watch what I eat so people think its okay to try to shove cookies and brownies in my face and its just not in my calories that day. and then when I do have a day where I fit it in my calories they're like oooooooooh you're actually gonna eat? ... like seriously I eat 1600 calories a day, I just pick and choose when I can sneak dessert in. they wouldn't say this to me if I was overweight..... ok rant over :)
  • dbmata
    Options

When people say this, they really mean "By volume, muscle weighs more than fat". Meaning that 1 cm^3 of muscle weighs more than 1 cm^3 of fat. Which IS true. People just drop off those first two words.
    and the omission makes them look stupid.

Like people who believe the earth is flat.

Or that climate change is fake because we got snow in winter.
  • Spanander
    Options
    People who have no idea what they but in to their body. I know not everyone needs to diet, and I know that some people just are slim naturally, but still. My boyfriend was telling me about this fruit or nut bar he ate, and he was like "I saw that the thing had three hundred calories!!" I asked him how big it was and I'm just like "well yeah obviously.. Dried fruit and nuts are healthy but very calorie dense. How much do you think a pizza has??" To where he couldn't answer, haha. He eats very unhealthily.

OOOOH and this: when people don't understand that you're trying to eat healthier.
    "It's just one piece of cake, it won't make you fat!" I know it won't, it's not about that. It's about me making wiser decisions for my body. Just accept it please.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

and the omission makes them look stupid.

Like people who believe the earth is flat.

Or that climate change is fake because we got snow in winter.

I disagree, I think the wording "by volume" is always implied, and those who like to nitpick at it are listening to their inner pedant

Just out of interest my inner pedant is huge, so large in fact that I sometimes wear this t-shirt shotdeadinthehead.com/clean-grammar-t-shirt.html at the gym ...but I do my utmost to stifle him, and it is a him, as letting him out makes me look like an ar$e and not an intelligent human being.

• dbmata
    Options
    I can't disrespect someone enough to assume that they are implying something they aren't explicitly stating. In general. Some people I know are intelligent, I'll grant that for them, but there are few posters like that here.

I mean hell, we have people claiming that kcal doesn't raise a l of water by 1 degree C at 0m, because of what the source of it was.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

By this definition, everything in the known universe weighs the same.
  • dbmata
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »

do tell, a mg of C weighs different from a mg of Ti?
  • gotolam
    Options

No, but that wasn't his definition. His definition was "a pound is a pound". By that measure, lead would weigh the same as feathers so long as you had a pound of each.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    "By this definition, everything in the known universe weighs the same. "

No. a kilo of everything weighs the same.

and i would doubt if "by volume" is at all implied. remember for US Americans, the political system is basically structured around those who think creationism is real
  • dbmata
    Options
    "By this definition, everything in the known universe weighs the same. "

No. a kilo of everything weighs the same.

and i would doubt if "by volume" is at all implied. remember for US Americans, the political system is basically structured around those who think creationism is real

47% of the country believes in creationism. How scary is that much rampant stupid running wild?
  • dbmata
    Options

No, but that wasn't his definition. His definition was "a pound is a pound". By that measure, lead would weigh the same as feathers so long as you had a pound of each.
    So you're saying that a pound of lead weighs differently from a pound of feathers?

So a pound of lead weighs 16 oz, or roughly 448 grams.
    How much does a pound of feathers weigh?
  • gotolam
    Options
    Exactly a pound.

However, most human beings would say feathers are lighter than lead; which is a perfectly valid statement. Which is my point.

If you want to argue pedantically, take it some where else. I'm not interested.