What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    "Cleanse", "detox", "toxins" - I'm so tired of that crap.
    People who look down on large people at the gym...I'm doing something about it, how about not making me feel like crap while I'm doing it???
    People who look down on people for starting on a certain day (like Jan 1). I totally get that the burst of new people at the gym is annoying and yes, a lot of those people will slowly disappear...but we all had to start sometime, and we should all just be supportive of each other.
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When unhealthy people say to me, "That's not on your diet."

I'm not on a diet. I've had a complete lifestyle change. If I have a bite of chocolate, I will not gain weight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    Exactly a pound.

However, most human beings would say feathers are lighter than lead; which is a perfectly valid statement. Which is my point.

If you want to argue pedantically, take it some where else. I'm not interested.

Oh it's not a matter of argue pedantics. It's arguing against stupid. How is a stupid statement exposing ignorance and a lack of knowledge about the natural world a "perfectly valid statement"?

I don't argue that many Americans would argue this though, like I said, 47% or so believe in christian creation mythos.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Similar to your point 1, "should you really be eating that if you are on a diet?". AAARRRGGGHH, that's for me to decide, and - even though I don't need to justify it - I am eating it because I can, now leave me the xxxx alone to enjoy my chips in peace.

THIS THIS TH IS Thiadnwjxw
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    1. Food racism (white foods are "bad")
    2. You have to cut out certain foods to lose weight
    3. People assuming I don't eat desserts/pizza/pasta/etc.

LOL FOOD RACISM. Never heard it called that before, hysterical.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Exactly a pound.

However, most human beings would say feathers are lighter than lead; which is a perfectly valid statement. Which is my point.

Oh it's not a matter of argue pedantics. It's arguing against stupid. How is a stupid statement exposing ignorance and a lack of knowledge about the natural world a "perfectly valid statement"?

I don't argue that many Americans would argue this though, like I said, 47% or so believe in christian creation mythos.
    It's kind of hard to argue that your personal beliefs about diet, semantics and creation are KNOWLEDGE and others' beliefs are stupidity.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Exactly a pound.

I kind of see both sides on that (The weight vs density, not intelligent design, lol)

I think most people mean "weight for a given visible volume on your body" when they say muscle weighs more than fat. And I honestly think that 99% of people realize that, whether or not they consciously understand the difference between the words "weight" and "density" in that context. It isn't semantic in that the word can validly be defined in different ways (it can't), but in the case that everyone understands they mean "density". It doesn't make the person stupid. They don't actually have an inability to understand the nature of matter and the universe, they just mistakenly thought that the words were interchangeable in that context.

On the other hand, it truly is not the right word and weight means something different. When concrete words with real scientific meanings are misused, it causes confusion and makes communication difficult. Some words are up for interpretation. Others are absolutely not. I see why it's a pet peeve, but I don't think it requires 300 virtual eye rolls when someone says "muscle weighs more than fat" and everyone knows what they meant. No need to be snarky. I sometimes correct people on things like this, in the name of clarity, but I don't accuse them of being stupid and I try (and usually fail) not to come off as a condescending know it all.

Bottom line: Yes, we all know he/she meant density. Correct if you must, but don't be a jerk about it.

Edited to add, i'm not referring to anyone in this thread as a jerk, just saying people can be jerks about this kind of thing.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    My weight loss pet peeve is that the fat doesn't come off where I want it to. I could look like Skeletor from the waist up, and still have saddlebag thighs. It bothers me that i can't control where my body wants to keep it.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    "I don't have the mental strength to say no to food" - the roommate every day.

Dude, no one is born with mental strength. It's built the same way physical strength is, consistently working on it. You can choose to get strong, or stay weak the rest of your life.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    pet peeves

*typing a post then ipad freezing... (just happened)

*guy at the gym who sets bike at lowest resistance the pedals like a bat out of hell - presumably to appear as though he is working insanely hard

*selfproclaimed life coaches/holistic gurus/yogis...basically thin women who think their body type makes them an expert on health. these same women often tout catch phrases and promote fad health foods and attempt to expel toxins though all types of magic and energy healing... meanwhile ignoring the true science of exercise- and it's innumerable health benefits! (while yoga has it's own benefits and I realize there are many variations of it- no, stretching on your yoga mat, while smelling essential oils is not the same as running/hiking/riding/lifting/swimming etc).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    cdez80421 wrote: »
    People saying "muscle weighs more than fat" grrrr... :neutral_face:

Wait, why does this bother you? I mean, it's true.

Can't tell if serious....
    I'm never sure if the people who argue "a pound is a pound" are serious.

Me either. I mean it's so obvious that a pound is a pound that when someone corrects another on that point (as if they might have been confused) I wonder if the person doing the correcting was actually confused at some point to think such an error is even possible. And thus I tend to think less of the intelligence of the person doing the correcting.

When people say X is heavier than Y, they are obviously never comparing the same weight of X and Y. When I say I weigh more than my sister, I do not mean "one pound of me weighs more than one pound of my sister." When I say sand is heavier than cottonballs, I am not comparing one pound of each, so on.

The reason "oh, don't worry, muscle weighs more than fat" is usually a silly thing to say is that it's usually said when there's no reason to assume anyone gained muscle and, of course, there's no rational reason to think that a loss of fat would be offset by the acquisition of a similar volume of muscle (that just weighs more). But if someone says it to explain why scale weight isn't all that in terms of physical appearance, it might well make sense. And, in the sense that people use "X weighs more than Y" in casual speech, it's accurate.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Exactly a pound.

I don't think it's your place to judge someone's belief systems. You don't have to agree with someone's religious belief's or lack thereof but you can respect their choices, like they should respect yours.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    "I don't have the mental strength to say no to food" - the roommate every day.

Dude, no one is born with mental strength. It's built the same way physical strength is, consistently working on it. You can choose to get strong, or stay weak the rest of your life.

100% this! and the "food is staring me asking me to eat them" #LOL :D
  • hehlh01
    hehlh01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peever personally are folks telling me that I'm doing "it" wrong or food pushing to me! I've given up starches and it's like a big TABOO thing to do apparently! I've gotten to the point that I don't even discuss what I'm doing anymore because of the flack I receive. Shoot, it works for me!
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    "By this definition, everything in the known universe weighs the same. "

No. a kilo of everything weighs the same.

and i would doubt if "by volume" is at all implied. remember for US Americans, the political system is basically structured around those who think creationism is real

47% of the country believes in creationism. How scary is that much rampant stupid running wild?

do you think the creationists imply "by volume", too? that is the question...
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Exactly a pound.

I don't think it's your place to judge someone's belief systems. You don't have to agree with someone's religious belief's or lack thereof but you can respect their choices, like they should respect yours.

There is no such thing as a fundamentalist who isn't also a fascist.

• EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Just in time for Festivus, this is my airing of the grievances.

1. "I had an X calorie every day and still didn't lose (maybe even gained) a pound this week." This one drives me bonkers. Week to week (let alone day by day) measurements are not going to adhere to a strict formula. If you've truly had a 500 calorie deficit every day, some weeks you may lose 2 pounds, some weeks you may gain a pound. Look for a trend over 3 weeks.

2. "Don't cut out (your trigger food here), just eat it in moderation." Yes, while it's true you can eat anything that adheres to your caloric budget, the "eat it in moderation" part can be tricky. Personally, I had very strong success losing fat and then a few months ago I reintroduced my kryptonite, sugary candy (such as Swedish Fish or Starburst). After that, there's been much struggle to stay at the low weight. If someone says they need to cut out a certain food, they should be respected that they have their reasons. I need to not eat Swedish Fish, period.

3. The dude/dudette in the gym that does curls directly in front of the dumbbell rack. Pick up your weights and move back so I can get the weights I need.

4. In an empty gym, with a dozen treadmill machines available, the person that decides to work out on the machine directly beside mine. Why???

5. The people here that either a) are intentionally in a calorie surplus to gain or b) engage in high calorie burning activities that like to make a big deal out of what they eat. "LOL, I ate a pint of Talenti and a pizza today, you can too!" No, not everyone has the time capacity for a massive calorie burn, like a 1 - 2 hour run. The folks trying to lose weight (me at least) really don't want to hear it.

There's more, but I must put my Festivus pole down and commence the feats of strength. Happy Festivus!
  • rendash49221
    rendash49221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    harakiri01 wrote: »
    Oh and people who offer me an apple or piece of apple, then make some comment of "I thought you were trying to lose weight, this is a healthy snack" when I say "no thanks", then when I explain that I'm allergic to many fruits including apples, they go on about how it's "impossible" to be allergic to fruit. I have been tested, and certain fruits put me into full blown anaphylaxis and I have to carry an epi pen with me everywhere because of it. I'm also allergic to nuts, but that is a more widely accepted allergy which people tend not to argue with me about.

Agreed... my sister is allergic to blueberries and she often gets people telling her that a couple in fruit salad wont hurt her because it's fruit... I also get this with skin products, there's this "All Natural" skin care company that always has stalls set up hassling people in shopping centres. I tried one of their testers once and my skins swelled up and broke out in a massive rash. The next time the were trying to force their products on me I explained "no sorry, I'm allergic" and they replied with "but it's all natural, you can't be allergic"
    *Face Palm*

But in regard to Pet Peeves...
    One that has come up recently due to a certain person at my gym: The excessively loud moaning when doing weights... yeah I appreciate some people grunt here and there but this guy sounds like he is being brutally murdered and come on man, you are doing some push ups right now, what the hell!

Personal Space Invaders... when the gym is packed I get it... but when the place is practically empty I just don't think you need to start stretching your back out on the same pole I'm using or set a mat up so we're almost touching to do your abs when there is plenty of floor space.

I also get a bit frustrated by a few friends who ask for my help to get them started with exercise, I put in my time finding out what they want and plan some workouts for them. They seem so super keen but when it comes to actually having me come over and do the workouts with them they always have an excuse why they can't.

Yes!! This just happened when I was at the gym yesterday! I wanted to ask, "you have that kid yet." LOL
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    EDollah wrote: »

4. In an empty gym, with a dozen treadmill machines available, the person that decides to work out on the machine directly beside mine. Why???
    That's the same as going to the urinal or toilet right next to someone when all the others are open.