What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• bldeno
    bldeno Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When they post they want to "loose" weight.

AMEN!!!!!!! I figured out where the groups were today--for the ones wanting to (lose) over 100lbs it said LOOSE! I couldn't do it! hurts my mind just thinking about it!! AHHHH
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    gotolam wrote: »
    Exactly a pound.

However, most human beings would say feathers are lighter than lead; which is a perfectly valid statement. Which is my point.

If you want to argue pedantically, take it some where else. I'm not interested.

Oh it's not a matter of argue pedantics. It's arguing against stupid. How is a stupid statement exposing ignorance and a lack of knowledge about the natural world a "perfectly valid statement"?

I don't argue that many Americans would argue this though, like I said, 47% or so believe in christian creation mythos.
    It's kind of hard to argue that your personal beliefs about diet, semantics and creation are KNOWLEDGE and others' beliefs are stupidity.

Poster stated that a pound of feathers is lighter than a pound of lead, and that it's perfectly valid.

Where I come from, that's called stupid. However, now that I live in the pac northwest, I'll go with it.

Bigfoot is real.
  • dbmata
    Options
    cdez80421 wrote: »
    People saying "muscle weighs more than fat" grrrr... :neutral_face:

Wait, why does this bother you? I mean, it's true.
    Its not true,a pound is a pound muscle is just more dense than fat and takes up less space but it all weighs the same.

When people say this, they really mean "By volume, muscle weighs more than fat". Meaning that 1 cm^3 of muscle weighs more than 1 cm^3 of fat. Which IS true. People just drop off those first two words.
    and the omission makes them look stupid.

Like people who believe the earth is flat.

Or that climate change is fake because we got snow in winter.

This is just so lame. It is being overly pedantic. You know what they mean, so STFU about it. it's like some 7th grade kid giggling about someone saying the word breasts. It's just ridiculous.
    No, it's ridiculous, and not being precise is idiotic. Defending an imprecise statement simply because, "Hey bro, kids giggle about breasts." Is even lower on that totem.
  • dbmata
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Exactly a pound.

However, most human beings would say feathers are lighter than lead; which is a perfectly valid statement. Which is my point.

Oh it's not a matter of argue pedantics. It's arguing against stupid. How is a stupid statement exposing ignorance and a lack of knowledge about the natural world a "perfectly valid statement"?

I don't argue that many Americans would argue this though, like I said, 47% or so believe in christian creation mythos.

I don't think it's your place to judge someone's belief systems. You don't have to agree with someone's religious belief's or lack thereof but you can respect their choices, like they should respect yours.

I don't think it's your place to judge whether or not it is my place to judge. We're not talking religious beliefs, we're talking stupidity here, looking at evidence, sticking their thumbs in their ears, and saying "No. These mythologies are right, not your evil science!" Funny thing, that's the inside flap statement on the new textbooks for the Texas public school system.

:) Bless their souls.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Exactly a pound.

I don't think it's your place to judge someone's belief systems. You don't have to agree with someone's religious belief's or lack thereof but you can respect their choices, like they should respect yours.

I don't think it's your place to judge whether or not it is my place to judge. We're not talking religious beliefs, we're talking stupidity here, looking at evidence, sticking their thumbs in their ears, and saying "No. These mythologies are right, not your evil science!" Funny thing, that's the inside flap statement on the new textbooks for the Texas public school system.

:) Bless their souls.

I'm with dbmata on this one. I believe that people should be respected, but not ideas or beliefs. I know this isn't exactly parallel, but if someone wanted to believe that the moon was made of cheese, does that mean that it is wrong to question it?

Obviously, religion and culture are deeper than one's belief about celestial objects and their dairy content, but "I believe x so you can't argue with it our you are disrespecting me" doesn't hold water for me. Might be true, might be false, either way I have every right to question it. If no one was allowed to question deeply held beliefs, we would still be sacrificing virgins to improve our crops. Their are people today who believe that women are the property of their husbands. I have no respect for that belief. Don't care why you believe it, I still think it's bs

And one more time, before I get flamed to death, I'm not saying that all religions or cultures or beliefs are bad, just that "ideas" don't have any right to respect; people do. I have been know to be downright disrespectful to certain beliefs, but I can still treat the believers with respect.

I have to head out for a while, I hope I don't come back to a inbox full of hate mail. If you are mad, please read it again from the beginning.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Obviously, religion and culture are deeper than one's belief about celestial objects and their dairy content, but "I believe x so you can't argue with it our you are disrespecting me" doesn't hold water for me. Might be true, might be false, either way I have every right to question it. If no one was allowed to question deeply held beliefs, we would still be sacrificing virgins to improve our crops. Their are people today who believe that women are the property of their husbands. I have no respect for that belief. Don't care why you believe it, I still think it's bs
    I ate my neighbor's heart to steal his strength once.

You are correct, and far better written than I on the subject. You are too nice. lol.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Can't tell if serious....
    I'm never sure if the people who argue "a pound is a pound" are serious.

Wow, I learned that stuff in grade school.
  • Yakelmeyer
    Yakelmeyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    People who hold themselves up on the stair master putting all the weight into their arms and none in their legs.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options

was that part of a raw detox?

B)
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ItWorks products (or any fad weight loss products people sell). Seriously heard a lady say, "I can eat whatever and as much as I want as long as I take my Fat Fighters." Ummmm...WHUT?? :o
  • dbmata
    Options

was that part of a raw detox?

B)
    Yes. Very much yes.

The I drank juice made from kale and carrots, so it was super healthy.
  • Wronkletoad
    Options
    ooh! organic????
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jukyu wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    clean eating to lose weight
    sugar and carbs are evil and make you gain weight
    paleo
    labeled foods as "bad/crap/etc"
    cleanses
    re-starting metabolism
    'stoke the metabolic fire'

hell I can go on and on all day ..

This, absolutely.

Yep...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    A couple more:

When sweaty people don't wipe down their equipment. Gross.

When I am trying to do push ups in the basement and my cat stands under my chest demanding to be petted. every. single. time.

When people make huge assumptions about people's fitness level based on their size. I have a friend who is a competitive rugby player and boxer and she actually had a guy tell her that he couldn't date her because he wanted someone who could keep up with his "active lifestyle". Apparently he walked a lot or something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Its not true,a pound is a pound muscle is just more dense than fat and takes up less space but it all weighs the same.

When people say this, they really mean "By volume, muscle weighs more than fat". Meaning that 1 cm^3 of muscle weighs more than 1 cm^3 of fat. Which IS true. People just drop off those first two words.

This is just so lame. It is being overly pedantic. You know what they mean, so STFU about it. it's like some 7th grade kid giggling about someone saying the word breasts. It's just ridiculous.

The problem is ... that no- not everyone understands this concept. And people overly misuse it so frequently it just makes it worth mentioning when it's used incorrectly.

Plus- science my friend.

My pet peeves
    "should you be eating that?" ( I don't get that very often honestly but it still irks me)

or

" it's to cold to go to the gym to work out"

I can't even- what does that even mean? You get in your car- you go inside- you work out.

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Exactly a pound.

It's kind of hard to argue that your personal beliefs about diet, semantics and creation are KNOWLEDGE and others' beliefs are stupidity.

Poster stated that a pound of feathers is lighter than a pound of lead, and that it's perfectly valid.

Where I come from, that's called stupid. However, now that I live in the pac northwest, I'll go with it.

Bigfoot is real.

No...actually that's not what I said. Here is quoted text:

"However, most human beings would say feathers are lighter than lead; which is a perfectly valid statement. Which is my point."

But sure, twist words so that you can continue arguing a point ABOUT BEING PRECISE.
  • Wronkletoad
    Options
    WTF does that have to do with bigfoot? SASQUATCH, man, SASQUATCH.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    This only happened once, but it scarred me for life. This guy was jogging on the treadmill and making sex noises. I... just... why???? I'd rather listen to 20 dudebros grunt over weights than ever hear that again.

There was also a creeper at my old gym who used to prowl for women. You could watch him pick a target and stalk her. He never cleaned his equipment either. Then again, he never really used it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

The problem is ... that no- not everyone understands this concept. And people overly misuse it so frequently it just makes it worth mentioning when it's used incorrectly.
    I wish we could take a poll because even I, who is supremely cynical, don't think anyone is confused by "muscle weighs more than fat". I've never seen anyone confused by it. I'm pretty sure I could run it by a class of 5th graders and they'd all get it.

What is the nature of the confusion you see? Do people think that they have lost two pounds of fat and gained two pounds of muscle, but the two pounds of muscle is also four pounds of muscle somehow? I know this sounds sarcastic but I am genuinely confused who could be confused and how.

• saraarassara
    Options
    Highschool-ish girls at my gym taking selfies in the locker room. PEOPLE ARE NAKED IN HERE! PUT DOWN THAT CAMERAPHONE!

Also, people assuming that what worked for them is the only way to do something. Mom, I know you love weight watchers and that is awesome. I'm really glad that worked for you, but it didn't for me.