What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• Amzing_amy
    Options
    Re: respecting people's beliefs.

I respect your right to believe what you want. But I in no way respect the belief that a dude with a beard created the earth in six days and then spent the next 6000 years ignoring millions of kids dying of starvation but made sure to facilitate actors with little statues. Sorry but no, that doesn't deseve respect. Believe it if you like, but I will not just smile and nod when you voice that belief.

Sorry for going off topic. The "respect my beliefs" statement is the biggest pet peeve in my life!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    cdez80421 wrote: »
    People saying "muscle weighs more than fat" grrrr... :neutral_face:

Wait, why does this bother you? I mean, it's true.
    Its not true,a pound is a pound muscle is just more dense than fat and takes up less space but it all weighs the same.

When people say this, they really mean "By volume, muscle weighs more than fat". Meaning that 1 cm^3 of muscle weighs more than 1 cm^3 of fat. Which IS true. People just drop off those first two words.
    and the omission makes them look stupid.

Like people who believe the earth is flat.

Or that climate change is fake because we got snow in winter.

This is just so lame. It is being overly pedantic. You know what they mean, so STFU about it. it's like some 7th grade kid giggling about someone saying the word breasts. It's just ridiculous.

The problem is ... that no- not everyone understands this concept. And people overly misuse it so frequently it just makes it worth mentioning when it's used incorrectly.
    I wish we could take a poll because even I, who is supremely cynical, don't think anyone is confused by "muscle weighs more than fat". I've never seen anyone confused by it. I'm pretty sure I could run it by a class of 5th graders and they'd all get it.

What is the nature of the confusion you see? Do people think that they have lost two pounds of fat and gained two pounds of muscle, but the two pounds of muscle is also four pounds of muscle somehow? I know this sounds sarcastic but I am genuinely confused who could be confused and how.
    people who don't understand the concept of density are confused.

And yes- they exists.

Seriously- I watched a girl complaining on the phone at WaWa- the ONLY place where you can get back 20's and 10's from the MAC machine... complaining to her phone companion
    "I DON"T WANT A TEN I JUST WANT A FIVE"

b!tch- get the 10 - go buy a pack of gum- boom- a 5 will be in your hand.

You CANNOT over estimate the power of stupid people- they are literally EVERYWHERE.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Its not true,a pound is a pound muscle is just more dense than fat and takes up less space but it all weighs the same.

When people say this, they really mean "By volume, muscle weighs more than fat". Meaning that 1 cm^3 of muscle weighs more than 1 cm^3 of fat. Which IS true. People just drop off those first two words.

This is just so lame. It is being overly pedantic. You know what they mean, so STFU about it. it's like some 7th grade kid giggling about someone saying the word breasts. It's just ridiculous.

The problem is ... that no- not everyone understands this concept. And people overly misuse it so frequently it just makes it worth mentioning when it's used incorrectly.
    I wish we could take a poll because even I, who is supremely cynical, don't think anyone is confused by "muscle weighs more than fat". I've never seen anyone confused by it. I'm pretty sure I could run it by a class of 5th graders and they'd all get it.

What is the nature of the confusion you see? Do people think that they have lost two pounds of fat and gained two pounds of muscle, but the two pounds of muscle is also four pounds of muscle somehow? I know this sounds sarcastic but I am genuinely confused who could be confused and how.
    people who don't understand the concept of density are confused.

And yes- they exists.

Seriously- I watched a girl complaining on the phone at WaWa- the ONLY place where you can get back 20's and 10's from the MAC machine... complaining to her phone companion
    "I DON"T WANT A TEN I JUST WANT A FIVE"

b!tch- get the 10 - go buy a pack of gum- boom- a 5 will be in your hand.

You CANNOT over estimate the power of stupid people- they are literally EVERYWHERE.

^^This is a Fact as I know it !
  • avecheverria
    avecheverria Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is when people try to sell me things at the gym. No I do not want to buy your protein, cleanse, Advocare, or whatever else you're selling on commission. And do not stand between me and whatever piece of equipment I'm going for so that you can continue to give your sales pitch.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ooh ooh ooh! I had one tonight whilst being the ONLY female at the gym at 10:00.

Dude behind me - that thing in front of me is a mirror. I can see myself in it just fine which means I can also see you, behind me for no good reason, ogling my goodies while I squat. A**clown.

Festivus FTW!
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    "Lifting weights is too hard so I don't do it."

Ohhhh I hate this too!!!
  • Original_Beauty
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    1. Food racism (white foods are "bad")
    2. You have to cut out certain foods to lose weight
    3. People assuming I don't eat desserts/pizza/pasta/etc.

So true....!!!
  • Original_Beauty
    Options
    Labelling foods bad or good. Food is just food!!! Or people think I do not like food...I love food!!!

I hate people think I am following a fad diet because I am on a gluten free diet... Nope I miss gluten. Stupid coeliacs. :neutral_face:
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Other human beings.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Other human beings.

Ya I hear ya !
    Now get of my dam lawn.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    WTF does that have to do with bigfoot? SASQUATCH, man, SASQUATCH.
    Bigfoot, bigfoot everywhere!

SQUUUUUATCH.
  • dbmata
    Options

I believe you would be upset by this poll then. You're obviously not that cynical if you're giving that much benefit of the doubt.

Remember, same population that has members who thinks a calorie is different depending on what it came from.
  • dbmata
    Options
    So here's one that isn't a pet peeve, in fact, the exact opposite.

I was finishing out my row fest workout with some seated cable rows. There's a dudebro on the other side doing pull downs. We're both making faces from exertion. It suddenly becomes a competition to make the strange lifter face.

high five.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Well the funniest thing I've ever seen was a man running in front of me on the treadmills wearing really tight leggings and his butt was jiggling.

My friend and I actually had to leave and quit the workout we were laughing so much...
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Where do I start?

-"Oh, so I started this new detox plan and I lost a kilo this week! If I keep it up I will lose all my weight in no time" (Can only eat one piece of chicken a day and drink lemon water)
    - Weight loss plans that are just shakes
    - Woo science
    - Salad is automatically healthy
    - You have to exercise for hours upon hours a day
    - People saying they don't have time

I am just going to stop there
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    People who complain they aren't losing weight and I see in their diary, they always eat way over their calories.
    My family pretty much trying to force feed me food and then saying I'm not fat and I should just have a slice or two. Eating better for a while now has made my body dislike lots of greasy foods. It's not that I don't want the pizza, my body will reject it. Apparently that doesn't matter.

Or way under :/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    A guy on another thread netting 500-700 calories a day at. 24 and 6'3 and 220 pounds and saying he sees his doctor every month and everything is fine ...oh and he's gaining LBM :doh!:
  • dbmata
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    A guy on another thread netting 500-700 calories a day at. 24 and 6'3 and 220 pounds and saying he sees his doctor every month and everything is fine ...oh and he's gaining LBM :doh!:

I sometimes imagine that being stuck in the grips of insanity can be painful, but then realize, the insane don't really know they're insane.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on the negatives!