Discouraged by trace calories...

Options
So I have been trying to lose weight and I know it takes time and patience but this is what my days look like
Weekdays: treadmill for 1.5 hours at 3.1 mph at 10% incline =330 calories burned
Food: tortilla with cheese: 240 calories
Poptarts crips: 60 cals
Fiber one cereal (3 servings dry no milk) 240
Sugar free pudding 60 cals
Box of Special K crackers 385 cals
Salad 80 cals
Walden farms ranch dressing 0 cals
Carrots with walden farms ranch: 175 cals
1540 cals total
Weekends: 1 hour treadmill 3.1 mph 10% incline= 220 cals burned
3 servings cocoa puffs dry 300 cals
Bag of apples and grapes 200 cals
Carrots with walden farms dressing 175 cals
3 serving of cocoa puffs 300 cals
Bag of apples and grapes 200 cals
Carrots with dressing 175
Total 1400 cals

I drink a lot of water with zero calorie mio water enhancer maybe 10 bottles of water per day
And I use a lot of the dressing sometimes a bottle per day if I have salad
I recently heard about tracable calories with "zero calorie" products. Am I going to gain from the amount of zero calorie products since I didn't count them before?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAY overthinking...

That being said, a whole bottle of dressing is going to have calories in!
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    WHERE IS YOUR PROTEIN? Good god, I'd gnaw my arm off eating all those empty calories.

To answer your question though - no. But for the love of all that's holy, fix your nutrition before you crash.

The End.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Something like walden farms has calories but less then 5 per serving which allows them to label it as zero. If you are paranoid, then count eat serving as 5 calories. Agree with others though, I'd up the protein content of your diet for sure!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The calories in Mio are likely negligible. If it makes you feel better about it though, they should have information online about calories per large dose. Like there are x amount of calories in 3 servings but in one set ing it is less than 5 and therefore not required to report it. Or if you can find the info, you can quick add 5 cals everytime you have a serving (FDA does not require under 5cals per serving to be listed, so 5 is the max one serving could be).

On a side note, I know I personally do not like plain water and quite often drink tea or vitamin water zero. I truly believe it is everyone's personal choice how they get their fluid. That said, I just wanted to point out that Mio is the only flavor additive that when transporting large quantities requires a hazardous materials placard. Crystal light, Lipton, s apple, vitamin water etc packets that you add to water do not. It's because Mio contains propylene glycol. If that sounds familiar it is because it can be used as antifreeze (although not as dangerous as ethylene glycol). While FDA says they consider safe for human consumption (and can be found in several medication solutions that do not dissolve in water- like Valium for IV administration), I'm not sure if they have done studies looking at long term use. As I said, I believe everyone should be able to choose what they think is best for them, but they have shown large quantities (although hard to do but possible) can cause toxicity. If it were me, I'd use a flavor add that does not require a hazmat label when being shipped.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    What's with all the cocoa puffs? If this works for you then go for it. I'd have the worst poos on this diet...
  • neversummer7
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    The calories in Mio are likely negligible. If it makes you feel better about it though, they should have information online about calories per large dose. Like there are x amount of calories in 3 servings but in one set ing it is less than 5 and therefore not required to report it. Or if you can find the info, you can quick add 5 cals everytime you have a serving (FDA does not require under 5cals per serving to be listed, so 5 is the max one serving could be).

On a side note, I know I personally do not like plain water and quite often drink tea or vitamin water zero. I truly believe it is everyone's personal choice how they get their fluid. That said, I just wanted to point out that Mio is the only flavor additive that when transporting large quantities requires! a hazardous materials placard. Crystal light, Lipton, s apple, vitamin water etc packets that you add to water do not. It's because Mio contains propylene glycol. If that sounds familiar it is because it can be used as antifreeze (although not as dangerous as ethylene glycol). While FDA says they consider safe for human consumption (and can be found in several medication solutions that do not dissolve in water- like Valium for IV administration), I'm not sure if they have done studies looking at long term use. As I said, I believe everyone should be able to choose what they think is best for them, but they have shown large quantities (although hard to do but possible) can cause toxicity. If it were me, I'd use a flavor add that does not require a hazmat label when being shipped.

Good to know thank you!!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

On a side note, I know I personally do not like plain water and quite often drink tea or vitamin water zero. I truly believe it is everyone's personal choice how they get their fluid. That said, I just wanted to point out that Mio is the only flavor additive that when transporting large quantities requires! a hazardous materials placard. Crystal light, Lipton, s apple, vitamin water etc packets that you add to water do not. It's because Mio contains propylene glycol. If that sounds familiar it is because it can be used as antifreeze (although not as dangerous as ethylene glycol). While FDA says they consider safe for human consumption (and can be found in several medication solutions that do not dissolve in water- like Valium for IV administration), I'm not sure if they have done studies looking at long term use. As I said, I believe everyone should be able to choose what they think is best for them, but they have shown large quantities (although hard to do but possible) can cause toxicity. If it were me, I'd use a flavor add that does not require a hazmat label when being shipped.

Good to know thank you!!!

The only reason I even know this was my ex drove 18wheelers for a living. He was actually quite shocked that Mio needed a hazmat placard so decided to look into it. Granted it is mostly kids and pets with accidental exposure that reach toxic levels, but still a little concerning in my opinion. I know you can protect yourself from all things that can hurt you, but it was one of those things I kind of raised an eyebrow to and was like nope lol. I do not wish to add overpriced flavored antifreeze to my water lol, especially when there are other options, some of which I personally think taste better. I personally like many of the crystal light flavors, but I have an allergy to red dye #40 so have to be careful. I know propel also makes flavors and I saw snapple and Lipton in that isle the other day as well.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    WHERE IS YOUR PROTEIN? Good god, I'd gnaw my arm off eating all those empty calories.

To answer your question though - no. But for the love of all that's holy, fix your nutrition before you crash.

The End.

Agreed. Nothing but sugary carbs. No protein? No fat? Yeesh. I'd be starving
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Your weekday calories add up to 1220 not 1540 so I really hope you just forgot something there, but if not, I second the call to eat some more protein and fat.
  • neversummer7
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    Your weekday calories add up to 1220 not 1540 so I really hope you just forgot something there, but if not, I second the call to eat some more protein and fat.

Oh yeah I forgot 300 calorie popcorn to my weekday lol doesn't cheese and cereal have fats? And dot carrots have protein and fruit?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Cheese has some fats, cereal usually does not have that much. Carrots and fruit do not contain hardly any protein at all. Your overall diet seems to be very heavy on carbs and light on fats and woefully low on protein.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You are waaaaaay overthinking this. Even wit h trace extra calories, they're literally going to have no noticable affect on you or weight loss. Remember, you would have to consume approximately 3500 calories OVER what your body needs to MAINTAIN to gain any weight.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Remember, you would have to consume approximately 3500 calories OVER what your body needs to MAINTAIN to gain any weight.

No. If you consume 3500 over maintenance, you'll gain a pound. Consume half that, and you'll gain half a pound.

OP: I'm not sure where you're getting your ideas about nutrition, but they're incorrect. 100 grams of carrots have 41 calories but only 0.93 g of protein, about 0.24 g of fat, and 9.58 g of carbs, including 4.74 g of sugar. You can look up the nutritional content of foods on the USDA's nutritional database.

Fruits and vegetables are mostly carbohydrates, with some fat (except for avocadoes, artichokes, and a few other fatty fruits).

You get protein from meat, cheese, eggs, nuts, and legumes. You can also get it from wheat gluten, which is the main ingredient in seitan and the various mock meats often used in Chinese cuisines.
  • neversummer7
    Options
    Are carbs bad?
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    no
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yeesh. This cereal and crackers diet would make me quit MFP quickly. Where's the protein and (non-carrot) veggies?
  • madxprofessor
    madxprofessor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    fix that diet young lady.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it. Focus on fueling your body instead. Currently, you're not. Even starting with the government's "my plate" would be better than how you're approaching it now. Give that site a look.
    (assuming you don't KNOW how to eat right, if you do, do that, it's worth it)
    good luck!
  • neversummer7
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    Yeesh. This cereal and crackers diet would make me quit MFP quickly. Where's the protein and (non-carrot) veggies?
    Why would it make you quit myp? Lol is it a diet that would make me gain or lose slowly (if losing at all?)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Remember, you would have to consume approximately 3500 calories OVER what your body needs to MAINTAIN to gain any weight.

No. If you consume 3500 over maintenance, you'll gain a pound. Consume half that, and you'll gain half a pound.

Yeah I meant a pound would be 3500 calories. I blame pregnancy brain. It's one of those days... :s