Discouraged by trace calories...

Options

Replies

• neversummer7
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    Ha- Even my crap eating example probably has more going for it than OPs diet.

I hear you! I'm not a great example either, but WOW! I bet 95% of the food she eats is beige. lol

i don't quite understand?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are the pictures for?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    jg6511 wrote: »
    Try cooking your food rather than buying pre-packaged foodstuffs - which isn't Food. You aren't feeding your body so it's thinking that it needs to store up the calories (empty ones) that you are giving to it in case it starves. You can't lose weight on that kind of diet.

Here's a week of meals that will put protein and healthy fats in your diet, but keep carbs down:
    Monday
    breakfast: omelette with veggies (cook a batch of broccoli and use it in your eggs); cooked in butter or coconut oil
    lunch: grass fed yogurt with blueberries and slmonds
    dinner: cheeseburger (no bun), veggies, salsa sauce

Tuesday
    breakfast: bacon & eggs (two each)
    lunch: leftover burger & veggies
    dinner: salmon with butter & veggies

Wednesday
    breakfast: eggs & veggies cooked in butter
    lunch: shrimp salad with olive oil
    dinner: grilled chicken with veggies

Thursday
    breakfast: omelet with various veggies, cooked in butter
    lunch: smoothie with coconut milk, berries, almonds, & protein powder
    dinner: steak with veggies

Friday
    breakfast: bacon & eggs
    lunch: chicken salad with veggies
    dinner: pork chops with veggies

Saturday
    breakfast: omelette with veggies
    lunch: grass fed yogurt with berries, coconut flakes, walnuts
    dinner: meatballs with veggies

Sunday
    lunch: smoothie with coconut milk, heavy cream, chocolate protein powder, berries
    dinner grilled chickens with raw spinach

Object is to get away from boxes and bags filled with non-food and FEED your body food. you will lose weight and feel oh so much better. your body will reward you by taking care of it.

lunch: chicken salad

Amusing: Warns against "packaged non-food"; has protein powder frequently.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your input, I have made some swaps :) tonight i will have some beans with lemon peppered chicken.

:)

/thread
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Those things you posted just now are ok in small quantities, but they shouldn't make up the bulk of your diet. Listen to the great advice you've gotten here, especially the poster who said you should scrap your diet and start all over. Build a new plan starting with healthy protein, carbs, and fat. Rainbow colored mini poptarts and the like aren't real food. Do you have access to a nutritionist? If you do, make an appointment. And as someone mentioned earlier, if those pictures are recent, you probably don't need to lose any weight. Rather, you should focus on eating healthy. Good luck!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    Ha- Even my crap eating example probably has more going for it than OPs diet.

I hear you! I'm not a great example either, but WOW! I bet 95% of the food she eats is beige. lol

i don't quite understand?

It's a comment on the color of the food you posted originally.

Food: tortilla with cheese: 240 calories - beige
    Poptarts crips: 60 cals - beige
    Fiber one cereal (3 servings dry no milk) 240 - beige
    Sugar free pudding 60 cals - beige
    Box of Special K crackers 385 cals - beige
    Salad 80 cals - green
    Walden farms ranch dressing 0 cals - grossness
    Carrots with walden farms ranch: 175 cals - orange
    1540 cals total

3 servings cocoa puffs dry 300 cals - brown/beige
    Bag of apples and grapes 200 cals - red/purple
    Carrots with walden farms dressing 175 cals - orange
    3 serving of cocoa puffs 300 cals - brown/beige
    Bag of apples and grapes 200 cals - red/purple
    Carrots with dressing 175 - orange

The vast majority of what you eat is beige. And processed.
    However, the issue isn't that it's processed. The issue is that you're lacking two very important macronutrients - fat and protein. And because you are only eating carrots, grapes, and apples as your fruits and veggies, you're missing a lot of micronutrients as well.

You need variety in your diet. 3 servings of cocoa puffs is fine but seriously, where's the chicken, beef, pork, fish, eggs, tofu/tempeh, etc? Where's the olive oil, butter, coconut oil, etc? Green beans, broccoli, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, etc? Pineapple, oranges, peaches, etc?

You're existing almost solely on carbs. And that's not healthy because you're missing fat, protein, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, etc. You're getting fiber due to your Fiber One cereal but I bet eating a box of Special K crackers every day is costing you a pretty penny. You'd be fuller longer on some broccoli and chicken or steak and half a potato for the same calories. And over time, especially if you buy in bulk and in season, it'd be cheaper.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Those things you posted just now are ok in small quantities, but they shouldn't make up the bulk of your diet. Listen to the great advice you've gotten here, especially the poster who said you should scrap your diet and start all over. Build a new plan starting with healthy protein, carbs, and fat. Rainbow colored mini poptarts and the like aren't real food. Do you have access to a nutritionist? If you do, make an appointment. And as someone mentioned earlier, if those pictures are recent, you probably don't need to lose any weight. Rather, you should focus on eating healthy. Good luck!

Nutritionists aren't regulated.
    Registered dietitians are a better use of your money
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OP, you are eating a lot of crap. Now I am as big a proponent of CICO as anyone else, but you are eating next to NO whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and I didn't see ONE listing of lean protein anywhere. Change your snacks to foods that are going to keep you full longer and stop wasting your calories on junk that's going to leave you feeling hungrier than before you ate them.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Try cooking your food rather than buying pre-packaged foodstuffs - which isn't Food. You aren't feeding your body so it's thinking that it needs to store up the calories (empty ones) that you are giving to it in case it starves. You can't lose weight on that kind of diet.

Here's a week of meals that will put protein and healthy fats in your diet, but keep carbs down:
    Monday
    breakfast: omelette with veggies (cook a batch of broccoli and use it in your eggs); cooked in butter or coconut oil

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday
    lunch: smoothie with coconut milk, heavy cream, chocolate protein powder, berries

Object is to get away from boxes and bags filled with non-food and FEED your body food. you will lose weight and feel oh so much better. your body will reward you by taking care of it.

Oh come on. Protein powder is fine and this proposed diet is 1000% more healthy that what the poor girl has been eating!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am a dietetics student, and in terms of satiety (staying full) I learned that the macros that are best are in the following order:

Protein (best at keeping you full)
    Fat (second best at keeping you full)
    Carbs (best for quick energy, not that great at keeping you full)

All are necessary for optimal health, and none of them cause or promote weight gain without a calorie surplus. So up those proteins and fats, and make sure you are getting enough fiber in your diet.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Oh come on. Protein powder is fine and this proposed diet is 1000% more healthy that what the poor girl has been eating!

She's pointing out that the person is being a hypocrite. Protein powder is processed and packaged.

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Frozen veggies come in boxes or bags and that's all some people can afford.

Frozen veggies are fresher than fresh veggies (unless you are pulling the veg out of the ground yourself). They are frozen within hours of being picked, while fresh veg is picked, sits in a truck for a while, is transported for a day or several, hangs out on your grocer's shelf for an indeterminate amount of time before you get to it, then spends more time on your countertop or in your fridge before you eat it.

I point this out only because I was spending so much time washing and prepping fresh veg, and tossing out so much that I had paid for (leaves, stalks, etc.) Then I realized a bag and a microwave would save me hours and money, and I would get essentially the same nutrients (frozen undergoes a blanching process that does leach some of the nutrients, but not so much that the frozen version is rendered useless).

Instead of 1/2 hour every day prepping one kind of veg, I now spend 5 seconds and get all kinds of veg.

Yay frozen veg!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    If that's a recent picture on your profile (your second photo) - you don't need to lose any weight. You already appear too thin.

If I remember correctly, you posted in the summer about being obsessive with counting calories and food.

I'd forget the weight loss and focus on developing a healthy relationship with food, which is what you were recommended to do in the beginning.

I agree, the second photo indicates someone who is well underweight.

I also recall that her husband / partner was concerned about her ongoing weight loss.

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Kill the simple carbs (sugar), eat lean meats, veggies, nuts, and berries. If you workout, eat one banana before and after. You are eating too many simple carbs, raising your blood sugar and causing the food to be stored more quickly as fat - so this isn't going to work.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    In your case it is what you are eating! I agree that there is a nutritional issue with what you are eating, but I used to eat like this when I lived alone. Its cheap and simple.

Carbs are bad if you eat more than around 150 mg a day. You need carbs depending on your weight and size but for most 150 mg is doable.

If something says it is calorie free it is. But I do believe that there are trace calories in anything, look for sugar alcohol, aspartame, artificial sweetners and assume the following:

-- These are to be processed in some way through the body.
    -- Your body does something with it - either is burns it for fuel, stores or it recognizes it as a toxin and gets rid of it.
    -- I was told everything has a calorie and if it does NOT do not put it in your body and call it energy or fuel, it is what is.

I sometimes will add an additional 50 to 100 calories to my daily nutrition if I know I ate something that says it calorie free but might contain trace calories so that I get my deficit right and include "possible extra calories".
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your input, I have made some swaps :) tonight i will have some beans with lemon peppered chicken.

:)

Good. THAT is what you should be eating for your meals.

At the very least, you need a serving of protein with each of your 3 main meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Have milk with your Fiber One cereal. Enjoy a cup of greek yogurt with your bag of apples and grapes. Put tuna on your crackers. Eat a breast of chicken with your ranch salad. Throw some lean steak into your cheese tortilla.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah let me add, protein with help you lose weight. Need a lot of protein. I learned this hard way, especially when exercising an 1 hour a day.

My question is you work for 1 hour your exercise and only burn 220 to 330? I would die if I worked this hard and only burned this much. There is only calorie burn and no fat burning in your work out! Work smarter not harder. You could get a 220 calorie burn in a shorter work out unless your work out is by design to work this way!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

I agree, the second photo indicates someone who is well underweight.

I also recall that her husband / partner was concerned about her ongoing weight loss.

Yes, and sometime past also she was drinking way too much fluid and her electrolyte balance was off - can't remember if it was sodium or potassium.

Either way - eating disorder.

• lishie_rebooted
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Frozen veggies come in boxes or bags and that's all some people can afford.

Frozen veggies are fresher than fresh veggies (unless you are pulling the veg out of the ground yourself). They are frozen within hours of being picked, while fresh veg is picked, sits in a truck for a while, is transported for a day or several, hangs out on your grocer's shelf for an indeterminate amount of time before you get to it, then spends more time on your countertop or in your fridge before you eat it.

I point this out only because I was spending so much time washing and prepping fresh veg, and tossing out so much that I had paid for (leaves, stalks, etc.) Then I realized a bag and a microwave would save me hours and money, and I would get essentially the same nutrients (frozen undergoes a blanching process that does leach some of the nutrients, but not so much that the frozen version is rendered useless).

Instead of 1/2 hour every day prepping one kind of veg, I now spend 5 seconds and get all kinds of veg.

Yay frozen veg!

Oh I know that. I've come around to frozen veggies. Except broccoli. Its too mushy.

In regards to stalks and leaves, freeze em for making broth with a chicken carcass in the crockpot