Discouraged by trace calories...

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    Your weekday calories add up to 1220 not 1540 so I really hope you just forgot something there, but if not, I second the call to eat some more protein and fat.

Oh yeah I forgot 300 calorie popcorn to my weekday lol doesn't cheese and cereal have fats? And dot carrots have protein and fruit?

Sounds like you need to do some serious reading about nutrition.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    Yeesh. This cereal and crackers diet would make me quit MFP quickly. Where's the protein and (non-carrot) veggies?
    Why would it make you quit myp? Lol is it a diet that would make me gain or lose slowly (if losing at all?)

I think the concern is that you don't have any real protein in your diet, and very little variety on vegetables....I know me personally....if I ate a diet close to yours would find myself starved even though hitting 1400-1500 cals that you listed, and would find myself losing faith that MFP works in a way that would help me. Filling up w/ protein and fiber and fat seems to carry me over a little better, and I feel like I am better fueled for workouts. There is nothing wrong with a carb heavy diet...if it works for you so be it....but you may want to re-evaluate and make some "better" decisions about what your taking in! Best of luck to you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    MscGray wrote: »
    Yeesh. This cereal and crackers diet would make me quit MFP quickly. Where's the protein and (non-carrot) veggies?
    Why would it make you quit myp? Lol is it a diet that would make me gain or lose slowly (if losing at all?)

I think the concern is that you don't have any real protein in your diet, and very little variety on vegetables....I know me personally....if I ate a diet close to yours would find myself starved even though hitting 1400-1500 cals that you listed, and would find myself losing faith that MFP works in a way that would help me. Filling up w/ protein and fiber and fat seems to carry me over a little better, and I feel like I am better fueled for workouts. There is nothing wrong with a carb heavy diet...if it works for you so be it....but you may want to re-evaluate and make some "better" decisions about what your taking in! Best of luck to you!
    I'd be ravenous eating how she does. And cranky as hell.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I think what everyone is getting at is that yeah, you'll lose weight, but you'll feel terrible and be hungry all the time, and you definitely aren't fueling your body properly.

Do a little googling on what good sources of fat and protein are....it will help greatly in the long run.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Are carbs bad?

no...the point people are trying to make is that you are seriously lacking in balanced nutrition. Protein and fat are both very important macro-nutrients...far more important than carbs. You're getting trace amounts of dietary fat from some dairy, but not nearly enough...your protein is seriously lacking.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I got light-headed reading what you eat. I don't know how you fuel those long cardio sessions (which seem a little low on the calorie burn) without protein.

Your diet brings to mind the types of food a picky eater would select. Are you a picky eater? Is there any source of protein that you like? Remember that just because you're trying to lose weight that you don't need to eliminate all fat. What do your macros look like? You should be eating a balance of carbs, fat, and protein.

Do you like yogurt? Peanut butter? Cheese? Most picky eaters like those things. Incorporate them now instead of the sugary cereal.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think people are trying to tell you that while your diet may achieve your caloric goals it doesn't seem to make sense from a nutritional standpoint. I'm not a nutritionist but suffice it to say that your body needs carbs, fat and protein to function properly. The amount of each that you east can be dependent on your fitness goals. But it's probably not a good idea to make any of those amounts 0.

If you are doing a bunch of cardio and are at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. But because you aren't replenishing your body with protein, you will lose more and more muscle. That will make you "skinny fat" and will you appear "soft" and actually bigger than someone who is the same weight but more lean. If you are losing weight and eating protein you can try to preserve the muscle you have so that your bodyfat% decreases as you lose weight. The consensus is that you cannot build muscle while losing weight...

All the things you eat don't seem to be very filling. I am having a hard time believing that you don't understand why you are getting comments. If you're for real, I think you should balance out what you eat. If you are a vegan or vegetarian then you can eat beans, tofu, etc to get protein. You can have nuts and oils for fats. I think you would be more satisfied if you tried this.

And also, you can add strength training and probably cut down on some of the cardio with similar (if not better) results.

Try researching on the internet for more info. If there is a certain body type you're looking for then maybe research the diets of people who look like that.

Good luck.
  • neversummer7
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I think people are trying to tell you that while your diet may achieve your caloric goals it doesn't seem to make sense from a nutritional standpoint. I'm not a nutritionist but suffice it to say that your body needs carbs, fat and protein to function properly. The amount of each that you east can be dependent on your fitness goals. But it's probably not a good idea to make any of those amounts 0.

If you are doing a bunch of cardio and are at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. But because you aren't replenishing your body with protein, you will lose more and more muscle. That will make you "skinny fat" and will you appear "soft" and actually bigger than someone who is the same weight but more lean. If you are losing weight and eating protein you can try to preserve the muscle you have so that your bodyfat% decreases as you lose weight. The consensus is that you cannot build muscle while losing weight...

All the things you eat don't seem to be very filling. I am having a hard time believing that you don't understand why you are getting comments. If you're for real, I think you should balance out what you eat. If you are a vegan or vegetarian then you can eat beans, tofu, etc to get protein. You can have nuts and oils for fats. I think you would be more satisfied if you tried this.

And also, you can add strength training and probably cut down on some of the cardio with similar (if not better) results.

Try researching on the internet for more info. If there is a certain body type you're looking for then maybe research the diets of people who look like that.

Good luck.

thank you i don't want to be skinny fat haha i just want to look ok :) but if i were to add fats or protein would that slow down my process of weight loss?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Good luck.

thank you i don't want to be skinny fat haha i just want to look ok :) but if i were to add fats or protein would that slow down my process of weight loss?
    NO, unless you ate too many calories.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Nope! If anything, it should help speed up the process, because you'll have a meal plan you can stick to more easily for longer without feeling hungry all the time, and because you'll be properly fueling your body to allow you to exercise more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Nope! If anything, it should help speed up the process, because you'll have a meal plan you can stick to more easily for longer without feeling hungry all the time, and because you'll be properly fueling your body to allow you to exercise more.

QFT
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    While the calories in vs. calories out will work for weight loss...your eating plan lacks nutrition. You need protein to retain/increase muscle mass.
  • Stormy_Monday
    Stormy_Monday Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    WHERE IS YOUR PROTEIN? Good god, I'd gnaw my arm off eating all those empty calories.

To answer your question though - no. But for the love of all that's holy, fix your nutrition before you crash.

The End.

Agreed. Up your protein and watch your sugar.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Quick note to everyone saying the OP is not eating following a proper diet – while I agree with the sentiment, I think it would be more useful if you linked her to a good nutrition websites or gave her some quick pointers on how to improve her diet rather than "just do it". It is hard to know where to start especially considered the amount of unreliable **** out there.

ETA: Wrote this when there were only eight replies to the OPs original question.

(I am sorry, all nutrition websites I know to be reliable I have on my hands are in German… )

It's not about the weight loss, per se. It is about the nutrients you are taking in. You list a whole lot of sugary carbs in your diet, when the body also needs fats and protein.

Look, in terms of simple weight loss, it is purely a matter of calories in vs calories out. If the calories you are eating are less than what you expend, you will lose weight. Whether the calories are composed of carrots or doritos won't make a difference.

However, just in terms of fuelling your body properly so that you aren't constantly hungry, it makes a huge difference. The body takes up nutrients in three forms – fats, carbs and proteins. In order to function properly you need to eat all three.

If on top of that you wish to lead a healthier lifestyle and not just lose weight, then you definitely need to start looking more into nutrition and how to eat properly.

I have only just started to properly look into the matter, so I cannot give you more specific information without the risk of me saying something awfully stupid. Other people here have looked into nutrition much longer and will be able to give you more detailed information and send you to some good websites. Most of the time I try to hit the protein, carbs and fat daily requirements MFP gives me, and refer to this: http://www.tasteofthemed.com/images/mdp.jpg

Incidentally, that last pyramid comes from the MedDiet which has been shown several times to be a healthy one. Depending on your needs, goals and preferences though, it might not be the right one, so I'd suggest you inform yourself a bit and then chat a bit with some people here to figure out what would work best for you.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I agree with the previous poster. I think you need to do a lot of research about nutrition, exercise and weight loss. Research means reading book, magazines, articles, internet searches, not asking random MFP questions. It seems you only have a small amount of weight to lose to achieve your goal which is good (I'm hesitant to ask your height and weight because that might be another can of worms...).

This is probably the first post I have ever seen where all of the comments are in agreement. That does not happen on here! That should send the message to you that your current "diet" is way off.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent of eat what you want while you're dieting - but while doing that, it's equally important to meet all your goals, not just the calorie one.

Calories are basically made up of fat, protein and carbs (9g of fat = a calorie, 4g of protein = a calorie and 4g of carbs = a calorie). It's important to try get a good balance of those three things. You don't have to stop your cereal, but you do need to exchange some of it for something like bacon, eggs, or sausage. Find healthy fats (and even throw in some not so healthy fats, too). Make sure that you try to meet your calories, fat, protein and carb goals.

I like to pre-log my days when I can, so I know how much leftover I have to play with. I'm not perfect at meeting my macros (those are the carbs, protein and fats), but I do try.

You don't have to stop eating all the fun things, but you do need to add in some things with more nutritional value.

Good luck! And if you need meal ideas, just ask :)
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    So I have been trying to lose weight and I know it...
    And I use a lot of the dressing sometimes a bottle per day if I have salad
    I recently heard about tracable calories with "zero calorie" products. Am I going to gain from the amount of zero calorie products since I didn't count them before?

Quick example:

The "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray has ZERO calories if you use just a few sprays…However, 12.5 sprays is 10 calories and the entire bottle contains 900 calories and 90 grams of fat!

73641431.png
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    If that's a recent picture on your profile (your second photo) - you don't need to lose any weight. You already appear too thin.

If I remember correctly, you posted in the summer about being obsessive with counting calories and food.

I'd forget the weight loss and focus on developing a healthy relationship with food, which is what you were recommended to do in the beginning.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I see a trend in those foods and the way of thinking. Just about everything is crunchy and easy to count. Not a mentally healthy way to do things.

Swap out some of the cereal and replace it with 1/2 a cup of milk. Then put some tuna on those crackers, yummm. Work in some fat and protein.