20 pounds by Easter challenge

Options

Replies

• slw19
    slw19 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    great losses marie, Rachel and Shirley!! way to go :)

Stephanie
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Shirley61 wrote: »
    Ray - Isn't nice to finally have someone notice all the work you have done. Well done!

Shirley

It sure is! And thank you. :D
  • eyegirl777va
    eyegirl777va Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sure, Nancy, happy to share. I'm doing LCHF--low carb, high fat. There's a very helpful LCHF forum on MFP and lots of info and videos online. I am very, very insulin resistant and had been unable to lose weight for years. I was about to sign up for bariatric surgery and did a last ditch hunt online for a natural alternative. I came up with Gary Taub's book "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It," which is a scientific look at insulin resistance and the effect of carbs on the body. He recommends a low carb, high fat way of eating. Since I've eaten very low fat and sort of low carbs for years without any weight loss, I thought I'd try this. Well, it works--for me, anyway. The "high fat" sounds scary, but for me it's nothing more than eating skin on chicken, being liberal with olive and coconut oil, and I'm not afraid to eat bacon with my eggs in the morning. I feel very much better, and the weight is going. I eat about 20 carbs a day, all green and healthy--any veg that grows above ground. For the time being, I'm not eating fruit, which I dearly love, because the fructose is so high and would inhibit my body from burning fat. When my weight gets down, it will likely be able to metabolize fruit properly. The best thing about this besides losing weight is that I never go hungry. I spent 40 years being hungry, and this is much better! :)

Thank you so much for sharing this is very interesting. I think i might be a little insulin resistant.
    Always have normal blood glucose and A1C normal but losing weight is so difficult for me. I
    have lost about 7 lbs in 3 months on the 1:1:1 and 1200 cals. I like the plan I am on but it is so
    slow but better than anything I have tried in the recent past.
    I have tried low carb in the past and it messed with my sleep. I have had some insomnia problems
    and the low carb did cause some problems with that.
    Nancy
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    nancy I am happy with the food. on 1-1-1- I will not change. I tried the low carb my doctor do not want me to eat too much protein. and that is mostly what it is beside low carbs veggies. I am not knocking the diet. It is just not for me.To each his own.
    Marie
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for sharing this is very interesting. I think i might be a little insulin resistant.
    Always have normal blood glucose and A1C normal but losing weight is so difficult for me. I
    have lost about 7 lbs in 3 months on the 1:1:1 and 1200 cals. I like the plan I am on but it is so
    slow but better than anything I have tried in the recent past.
    I have tried low carb in the past and it messed with my sleep. I have had some insomnia problems
    and the low carb did cause some problems with that.
    Nancy

Nancy--You're welcome! It's important to stay with a plan you like and is working for you. Having insulin resistance makes it extra hard to see the pounds go, but 7 lbs. is still a nice amount to see gone! You're doing great, and I'm sure you'll see more losses soon. We'll cheer you all the way!
  • eyegirl777va
    edited March 2015
    Options
    CALIECAT wrote: »
    nancy I am happy with the food. on 1-1-1- I will not change. I tried the low carb my doctor do not want me to eat too much protein. and that is mostly what it is beside low carbs veggies. I am not knocking the diet. It is just not for me.To each his own.
    Marie

I am happy too Marie. I did the Adkins Diet when I was younger and did great on it then.
    I tried it in more recent years and it made me feel like crap and i couldn't sleep.
    Like we have talked about before we have to do what we can live with long term and
    so far 1:1:1 is for me, even though it's slow.
    Nancy
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Joining this group because you all seem so supportive. I am too late for the 20 lb Easter challenge but enjoy reading all your weight loss stories.

I am 67 and have lost 25 lbs over the last two years. The last 12 on MFP since Feb. 5th.

SW 162
    CW 136.8
    GW 129 (just to be in the 120's)

Vicky
  • CALIECAT
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome Vicky We will be starting a 4th of july callenge soon. be sure to keep an eye on this challenge for further notice Glad to have you join us.
    <3 marie

• vicky1947mfp
    Options
    Welcome Vicky We will be start a 4th of july callenge soon. be sure to keep an eye on this challenge for further notice Glad to have you join us.
    <3 marie

Thanks Marie
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm ready to start this challenge, will doing The Master Peep Cleanse (TM) help me detox before I start cutting weight?
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm ready to start this challenge, will doing The Master Peep Cleanse (TM) help me detox before I start cutting weight?

Haha, love it! The Master Peep Cleanse will, but the bunnies have yet to be tested.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Good morning, losers! Happy Saturday!

(*) Welcome Vicky and Agentorangej! Jump right in. We love to have new people, and as Marie said, we will be starting a 20 pounds by the 4th of July challenge April 6.

It's sunny B) but cool today and will freeze tonight. Hopefully, it will be the last one. I don't have anything major to do today but will try to get in some steps.

Marie..where is Alice? When do you leave for Springfield?

Have a great day, challengers, and stay strong!

Connie

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :D Good morning, no dance class today so I got to sleep a little later and still have lots of time to walk the dogs before I meet my friend for a walk around the neighborhood. I am just finishing my breakfast (the same thing I have every day) and have enjoyed reading all your posts. Congrats on all the great successes. If you are doing something that works, do it again today. If you are doing something that doesn't work, keep an open mind and look for something different.

<3 Barbie
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Becky where are you / miss you dear!!
    Thanks for asking about me, Marie. It's been a tough and very busy two weeks for me. Lots of changes coming up with work and lots of decisions to make. I've been sticking with having a smoothie for breakfast and lunch with veggies and 2 HB eggs with the lunch smoothie on a fairly regular basis. I've not done too great in the evenings with dinner, though. Hrumph

Weighing every day during the 10 day smoothie challenge made me want to not weigh again until Easter. However... not weighing and being super busy and not reading this each day also led to my not logging anything. So, I'm now worried about what my final weight loss will be.

Staring today I am back to logging everything and reading this each morning! This has been my first setback on staying faithful to logging during this challenge since starting in early January and I'm glad it's over! I really felt great with the smoothie challenge and am ready to get back to business.

It's snowing here today and we will be going to our son's house this afternoon (1.5 hr away). He crushed one of his fingers on Wednesday found out yesterday that there is a chance the tissue may heal and it won't have to be amputated. Thank God!! He follows up with the hand surgeon on Wednesday to see if the blood flow is returning to the tissue. Even when our kids are grown (he's 28) we still worry so much. I can't wait to see him (and the injury) today! As a nurse it's really hard not to have been there with him.

So many of you are doing great and I'm hoping to be one of them at the end. Have a great weekend everyone!

Becky in MD

• vicky1947mfp
    Options
    Good morning, losers! Happy Saturday!

(*) Welcome Vicky and Agentorangej! Jump right in. We love to have new people, and as Marie said, we will be starting a 20 pounds by the 4th of July challenge April 6.

It's sunny B) but cool today and will freeze tonight. Hopefully, it will be the last one. I don't have anything major to do today but will try to get in some steps.

Marie..where is Alice? When do you leave for Springfield?

Have a great day, challengers, and stay strong!

Connie

Thanks Connie. You must be on the east coast. You are having the same weather as I am here in NC. Can't wait for warmer weather.

Have a good on MFP day. I am off to the Y to do an aerobics class and some walking.

Vicky
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    <3 Connie we leave on the morning of the 6th of april. . the day you tally up Maybe n Nancy can help you. I will report my Easter lost before we leave
    Alice had a gain last week. Hope she got it off by today.She will be out tomorrow. need to do a little shopping. She is driving us up there. I will be taking my I pad however wont have connection till we get to my granddaughter house , unless Alice has some thing to check in with.This last bad weather and the funeral got us off track. it is a 7 hour drive
    Can't hardly wait to see my great grandbaby

<3 Becky. That happens to me too after a spell of weiht lost I kind of takes s break from Dieting I plan on not during that this time.But this time I am not dietin I Am enjoy a new way of eating. Sorry about your son. hope it all work out Ok

<3 Barbie this eating the same thing everyday for breakfast and lunch is working great for me.so far.Don't know how I will handle our little trip, but will do the best I can.i know I need to plan.But this is new for me.

Have a great day everyone
    Cheers
    marie

• slw19
    slw19 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    hi all,

welcome to all the new people!!

forgot to actually weigh in yesterday! it has been a tough week for me but I actually am down .6 lb and I will take it.

SW 155.8
    CW 151.2
    GW 135.0

just hoping to break into the 140s by easter!! leaving for vacation on Monday:) will check in. I will continue on the july 4th .

Stephanie
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Marie..many folks will probably report total loss on or before April 6 which is fine. I'm going to keep track using old fashioned tools..paper and pencil. ;) I can start early next week and will mention that in Monday morning's post.

Vicky.. I'm in SC.
    Becky..prayers for your son.

Connie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Stephanie Where are you going for vacation. there will always be temtations. we just got to handle them.
  • eyegirl777va
    Options
    Good Morning to All.
    Saturday again!!!! Where does the time go!!!
    Welcome newbies, this is a great place to hang out.
    Congrats to our losers.
    Becky, Good to see you back. Hope your son will have a good outcome on his finger injury.
    No plans for today other than laundry and small things. Plan to stay on track with 1:1:1 !!!
    Have a great weekend.
    Nancy