Fed Up

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thread again????? didn't we already have a thread about this?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Here the "2 cents" of somebody who avoid adding sugar.

Its not the sugar which is bad, its the amounts.

but to be honest. I was shocked of how many products in the US has sugar in it, which i was not used to at all.
    Yogurt for example. The lowest amount of sugar in plain yogurt i could find is 6%

In Holland there is no sugar in yogurt. Only the ones with fruit in it and than only the natural sugars.

I dont add sugar to anything and very rare a sweetener. Still sugar isn't "bad" just like all the other food isn't good or bad. Its the amounts we consume of it that makes it bad.

I choose for a couple of reasons for no added sugar in my life style. So this means i eat normally fruit etc and all the sugar that is naturally in certain food.

I see the "fear factor" in indeed tabloid journalism. But awareness of what you eat would be very good.

In the US, all sugar is listed on the label, whether added or naturally occurring. Plain yogurt always has sugar in it, because milk naturally has sugar in it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    That being said, have a cheeseburger and fries once in a while because something will kill you eventually. ;)
    8wu1sria2oms.jpeg

Is that the quadruple bypass from the Heart Attack Grill?

LMAO! How do you KNOW this???? cackling
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this thread again????? didn't we already have a thread about this?

v682fbhuyni7.gif
  • sassysniper
    sassysniper Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    marathon23 wrote: »
    Why am I surprised by the lack of social decency in comments found on the internet? You wouldn't speak to someone the way you have me in person...but yet here you are online.
    wow. you really are new here if you think these responses are mean. lol.

Serious question here. Not being a jerk. Are newbies welcome on the forum? Or is it a "we like who's here screw the rest" vibe?

I've been using the app but am curious about the dynamics of the forum. Thanks in advance. :blush:
    New people are fantastic. However, a lot of us on the boards have a very factual, sometimes brusque demeanor when it comes to science. We believe that scientific facts should be stated clearly, without a lot of "fluff." Some people like to perceive that as rude or a personal attack. It's not. We know that not everyone has the same level of education or knowledge. It's why we make points to correct people who post misinformation. Most of the time it's a matter of pure ignorance, a poster repeats something they were told without knowing better, they get corrected, they learn, everyone wins.

Occasionally someone gets corrected that doesn't want to accept that their belief is incorrect (natural human reaction, nobody likes learning that something they thought was fact wasn't) and that's when you start to get the posts complaining about "mean people" "attacking" everyone for having a different opinion. So keep an open mind, expect to be called out if you make a claim, and be prepared to back up what you say. It's really all anyone asks. And if you can't back it up, just allow for the possibility that maybe your claim is incorrect. Can't tell you how many times I've changed my mind on certain topics around here, based on reason and evidence. I love to learn just as much as I love to teach.

Got it! I have Gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) so I can't eat certain things that others can. It is a scientific fact that a person with a paralyzed stomach cannot eat what a healthy person can, so I don't plan on getting in any arguments or making any claims about diet. I'm here to track my protein intake since it's more difficult for me to get proteins, and I'm doing my best to stay feeding tube free as long as I can! I wish I wasn't allergic to nuts, or I could eat peanut butter for extra protein. The app is amazing for showing me where I need to add nutrients. Thanks for your reply! :smile:

For more info on Gastroparesis, here's a link: patients.gi.org/topics/gastroparesis/
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Why am I surprised by the lack of social decency in comments found on the internet? You wouldn't speak to someone the way you have me in person...but yet here you are online.

Serious question here. Not being a jerk. Are newbies welcome on the forum? Or is it a "we like who's here screw the rest" vibe?

I've been using the app but am curious about the dynamics of the forum. Thanks in advance. :blush:
    New people are fantastic. However, a lot of us on the boards have a very factual, sometimes brusque demeanor when it comes to science. We believe that scientific facts should be stated clearly, without a lot of "fluff." Some people like to perceive that as rude or a personal attack. It's not. We know that not everyone has the same level of education or knowledge. It's why we make points to correct people who post misinformation. Most of the time it's a matter of pure ignorance, a poster repeats something they were told without knowing better, they get corrected, they learn, everyone wins.

Occasionally someone gets corrected that doesn't want to accept that their belief is incorrect (natural human reaction, nobody likes learning that something they thought was fact wasn't) and that's when you start to get the posts complaining about "mean people" "attacking" everyone for having a different opinion. So keep an open mind, expect to be called out if you make a claim, and be prepared to back up what you say. It's really all anyone asks. And if you can't back it up, just allow for the possibility that maybe your claim is incorrect. Can't tell you how many times I've changed my mind on certain topics around here, based on reason and evidence. I love to learn just as much as I love to teach.

Got it! I have Gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) so I can't eat certain things that others can. It is a scientific fact that a person with a paralyzed stomach cannot eat what a healthy person can, so I don't plan on getting in any arguments or making any claims about diet. I'm here to track my protein intake since it's more difficult for me to get proteins, and I'm doing my best to stay feeding tube free as long as I can! I wish I wasn't allergic to nuts, or I could eat peanut butter for extra protein. The app is amazing for showing me where I need to add nutrients. Thanks for your reply! :smile:

For more info on Gastroparesis, here's a link: patients.gi.org/topics/gastroparesis/

I wish you well and hope you stay healthy and free of tubes! :)
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Is Katie Couric even relevant?

In.
  • ndj1979
    Options

you are more than welcome here..

some us just get tired of the same ole posts over and over which tend to be:

1. sugar is evil
    2. detoxes/cleanses, etc
    3. calories are not really calories
    4. carbs are evil
    5. CICO does not work for me because I am "special'
    6. and of course everyones favorite, clean eating threads…

Nothing wrong with good debate and sharing information ..but the forums tend to be a waste land of food fear mongering and pseudo science….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I'm fed up of Fed up.

im fed up with this topic...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

In.

I think that colonsocopy on live TV went to her head…literally ...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

In.

I think that colonsocopy on live TV went to her head…literally ...

Killed her career but it keeps coming back like a bad zombie film.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The amount of sugar (and preservatives) in processed food may be startling. But even before this revelation, many, many years ago, I was in college with a girl who had a relative who was a food inspector. Learning that there are percentages of rodent feces and hair and bug parts that are in an "acceptable range" really put me off processed stuff. And, once I inquired to a major food label about what "natural flavoring" meant (I wanted to make sure that what I was ingesting was vegetarian) and they were unable to tell me. This was in writing. So............................sugar ain't the only thang to get worked up about, if you're looking for something to get worked up about, that is...

Why, pray tell, do you think there isn't rodent feces, insect parts, etc. in unprocessed food? Do you think the rats are trained to not *kitten* until food is processed?

You should have seen all of the bird feathers we picked out of the peppermint and spearmint we packaged back when I worked for a spice company that sold all natural herbs, spices, and seasonings. Do you think birds only left their feathers behind? Do you think we got everything? Nope and nope.

• sassysniper
    sassysniper Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

of course n00bz are welcome. it is wise, however, to do some searching in the forums for certain topics to become familiar with the general consensus in particular areas.

here's a cheat sheet on subject matter to avoid (please add to this, as i'm sure i'll miss something)
    -fad diets
    -detoxes and other means by with to rid your body of "toxins"
    -calling any type of food "bad"
    -"clean" eating
    -gaining weight at a deficit
    -gaining muscle at a deficit
    -asking for relationship advice
    -venting posts aimed at "meanies" and "bullies"
    -discounting science and believing that "everyone is different"
    -fear-mongering "documentaries"
    -the belief that lifting makes women "bulky"
    -diet/fat burning/metabolism boosting pills
    -stopping eating at a certain time of day
    -recipes that replace noodles, bread, or dough with vegetables like cauliflower
    -belief that you can choose where to lose fat from
    -thinking you're estimating your intake right but complaining that youre not losing
    -using the word "loose" instead of "lose"

"fed up" is just "fat sick and nearly dead" without the annoying accents.

Oops I quoted you before you added more information. I'm not interested in any of that, and as an ex-English teacher, I really hope I can manage to not mix up loose & lose. lol

As I mentioned in the above post, I have Gastroparesis, or a paralyzed stomach, so I am scientifically different than many others, but I get what you're saying. Just messing with you. I'm going to search here and see if I can find others with severe stomach problems/diseases. Again thanks for taking the time to explain everything. Here's a link on Gastroparesis from a reputable site if you want a quick lesson on the disease. If not, I don't blame you! patients.gi.org/topics/gastroparesis/
  • veronakings
    Options
    lol wow 11k posts...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What would you call it?

Bull****, mostly.

And irresponsible.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    In the US, all sugar is listed on the label, whether added or naturally occurring. Plain yogurt always has sugar in it, because milk naturally has sugar in it.

So if you add milk to a product, you've added sugar to that product....

Cool...

• WatchJoshLift
    Options
    lol wow 11k posts...

Wow, a picture of someone else. Are you trying to spare us from having to see a picture of yourself?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Here the "2 cents" of somebody who avoid adding sugar.

Its not the sugar which is bad, its the amounts.

but to be honest. I was shocked of how many products in the US has sugar in it, which i was not used to at all.
    Yogurt for example. The lowest amount of sugar in plain yogurt i could find is 6%

In Holland there is no sugar in yogurt. Only the ones with fruit in it and than only the natural sugars.

I dont add sugar to anything and very rare a sweetener. Still sugar isn't "bad" just like all the other food isn't good or bad. Its the amounts we consume of it that makes it bad.

I choose for a couple of reasons for no added sugar in my life style. So this means i eat normally fruit etc and all the sugar that is naturally in certain food.

I see the "fear factor" in indeed tabloid journalism. But awareness of what you eat would be very good.

Good catch, I forgot about the lactose counting as sugar. I don't normally look at that part of the label anymore...
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Cool...

Love added sugar!
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Cool...

Love added sugar!

So if I pour myself half a cup of milk, then change my mind and fill the cup all the way, I've added added sugar to the original milk, and it's now a processed product, right?