Fed Up

Replies

• sassysniper
    sassysniper Posts: 156 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    marathon23 wrote: »
    Why am I surprised by the lack of social decency in comments found on the internet? You wouldn't speak to someone the way you have me in person...but yet here you are online.
    wow. you really are new here if you think these responses are mean. lol.

Serious question here. Not being a jerk. Are newbies welcome on the forum? Or is it a "we like who's here screw the rest" vibe?

I've been using the app but am curious about the dynamics of the forum. Thanks in advance. :blush:

you are more than welcome here..

some us just get tired of the same ole posts over and over which tend to be:

1. sugar is evil
    2. detoxes/cleanses, etc
    3. calories are not really calories
    4. carbs are evil
    5. CICO does not work for me because I am "special'
    6. and of course everyones favorite, clean eating threads…

Nothing wrong with good debate and sharing information ..but the forums tend to be a waste land of food fear mongering and pseudo science….

Thanks for the welcome! I understand. This isn't my first forum, but it's my first fitness forum that wasn't attached to a specific health issue. I appreciate the information! :smile:
  • no, for real, its creepin' me out. did you take that pic before church? super churchy looking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    no, for real, its creepin' me out. did you take that pic before church? super churchy looking.

are you really a porcelain asian doll, or is that just the look you are going for?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    lol wow 11k posts...

Wow, a picture of someone else. Are you trying to spare us from having to see a picture of yourself?
    ha wow a pic of a puppet. r u a ventriloquist or something?

Actually, it's a pic of your mom. :smiley:

*shots fired*
  • ndj1979 wrote: »
    lol wow 11k posts...

and my posting history has what to do with the topic at hand?

just pointing at that you OG guys are being kind of rude to this new lady who was just posting about things that interest her. why discourage someone in being active in the web community?
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    no, for real, its creepin' me out. did you take that pic before church? super churchy looking.

It's easy for you to poke fun at someone's profile picture when you wont even post a real picture of yourself. Insecure much? I was actually working. :smiley:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    IMG-referee-flag.jpg
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    tigersword wrote: »
    In the US, all sugar is listed on the label, whether added or naturally occurring. Plain yogurt always has sugar in it, because milk naturally has sugar in it.

So if you add milk to a product, you've added sugar to that product....

Cool...

Love added sugar!

So if I pour myself half a cup of milk, then change my mind and fill the cup all the way, I've added added sugar to the original milk, and it's now a processed product, right?

To be fair, the milk was processed long before it got to your glass. Homogenization, pasteurization, whatever other "ization" they've come up with lately...
  • sassysniper
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I was shocked of how many products in the US has sugar in it, which i was not used to at all.
    Yogurt for example. The lowest amount of sugar in plain yogurt i could find is 6%

In Holland there is no sugar in yogurt. Only the ones with fruit in it and than only the natural sugars.

Nope. If it's "plain yogurt" it has sugar in it, but it's lactose, the natural sugar in dairy. That's not something special about the US.

I do agree that being aware of what you eat is good. I see this sugar and anti-processed paranoia (like about my oatmeal, which is just "oats") to be contrary to that idea.

I love my oatmeal and yogurt. <3

Now I'm hungry!
  • Run_Fit wrote: »

It's easy for you to poke fun at someone's profile picture when you wont even post a real picture of yourself. Insecure much? I was actually working. :smiley:

working on your youth pastor sermon?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    tigersword wrote: »
    marathon23 wrote: »
    Why am I surprised by the lack of social decency in comments found on the internet? You wouldn't speak to someone the way you have me in person...but yet here you are online.
    wow. you really are new here if you think these responses are mean. lol.

Serious question here. Not being a jerk. Are newbies welcome on the forum? Or is it a "we like who's here screw the rest" vibe?

I've been using the app but am curious about the dynamics of the forum. Thanks in advance. :blush:
    New people are fantastic. However, a lot of us on the boards have a very factual, sometimes brusque demeanor when it comes to science. We believe that scientific facts should be stated clearly, without a lot of "fluff." Some people like to perceive that as rude or a personal attack. It's not. We know that not everyone has the same level of education or knowledge. It's why we make points to correct people who post misinformation. Most of the time it's a matter of pure ignorance, a poster repeats something they were told without knowing better, they get corrected, they learn, everyone wins.

Occasionally someone gets corrected that doesn't want to accept that their belief is incorrect (natural human reaction, nobody likes learning that something they thought was fact wasn't) and that's when you start to get the posts complaining about "mean people" "attacking" everyone for having a different opinion. So keep an open mind, expect to be called out if you make a claim, and be prepared to back up what you say. It's really all anyone asks. And if you can't back it up, just allow for the possibility that maybe your claim is incorrect. Can't tell you how many times I've changed my mind on certain topics around here, based on reason and evidence. I love to learn just as much as I love to teach.

Got it! I have Gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) so I can't eat certain things that others can. It is a scientific fact that a person with a paralyzed stomach cannot eat what a healthy person can, so I don't plan on getting in any arguments or making any claims about diet. I'm here to track my protein intake since it's more difficult for me to get proteins, and I'm doing my best to stay feeding tube free as long as I can! I wish I wasn't allergic to nuts, or I could eat peanut butter for extra protein. The app is amazing for showing me where I need to add nutrients. Thanks for your reply! :smile:

For more info on Gastroparesis, here's a link: patients.gi.org/topics/gastroparesis/

Awesome, good luck. You won't find anybody giving you flak on your food choices. Usually it's the opposite problem that people get annoyed with. A lot of times we get people (and you've already said you won't do this, which puts you ahead of a lot of people already) with specific medical conditions and dietary restrictions because of them. Those people attempt to give advice by passing off their specific dietary restrictions as something that healthy people need to follow and 100% fact, then the fighting starts... ;)
  • WatchJoshLift

working on your youth pastor sermon?

Would my picture be better if I weren't wearing a tie? lol
  • WatchJoshLift
    I was actually going for the shoe salesman look, but it's whatever. :smiley:
  • yes. definitely yes.
  • sassysniper

You look great! This thread is my afternoon entertainment. Yes, Tuesdays are boring here. lol
  • WatchJoshLift
    yes. definitely yes.

Well, since you don't like it, I will still keep the picture up. :smile:
  • WatchJoshLift

You look great! This thread is my afternoon entertainment. Yes, Tuesdays are boring here. lol

Thanks! I think Tuesdays are pretty boring everywhere lol.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Well this took a better turn than the normal thread of this topic.
  • Tuesdays are totally the worst.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Tuesdays are totally the worst.

I actually dislike them more than Mondays.