Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That's not eating in moderation....
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Why not? It's one serving size of all those foods.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options

It's also a billion servings.

"In moderation" doesn't mean "as many foods as you like, as long as you don't eat too much of any one food". If you're over your maintenance calories, you're not eating in moderation, no matter how the calories are distributed, or what foods you're eating.

• DeWoSa
    edited December 2014
    Options

"In moderation" doesn't mean "as many foods as you like, as long as you don't eat too much of any one food". If you're over your maintenance calories, you're not eating in moderation, no matter how the calories are distributed, or what foods you're eating.

Not sure what you mean by a billion servings -- it's a breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's actually a lot less food than I usually eat.

You are proving my point exactly -- you can't eat the foods you want in moderation AND be at maintenance calories.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am calling BS on "eat what you want, just in moderation, and you'll lose weight."

Here's a daily menu of eating the foods I want in moderation:

Donut, latte.

2 slices pizza, green salad with Ranch dressing.

KFC chicken breast, side of mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, biscuit.

1/2 cup vanilla ice cream.

All food eaten in moderation. Am I'm supposed to exercise off 1,300 calories each day?

That's a very different idea of moderation than I have.

I wouldn't have a donut and a latte together. Unless it's just a cup of black, I like to enjoy my coffee so I rarely have it with other food. If I have a latte, I won't have enough calories for my nightly piece of chocolate so I would skip it. I indulge everyday but I don't need to overindulge and have more than 3 types of snacks.

Two slices of pizza and a salad is not a single meal for me, it's 3. I don't find soda worth the calories so I would skip that too.

If I wanted that KFC meal I would grill chicken with spices, make mashed potatoes with garlic and a reasonable amount of butter cooked in, I would skip the gravy because you don't really need it if the potatoes are seasoned, I would steam fresh green beans. I would skip the biscuit, I've never found a good allergy free biscuit recipe. My homemade version of that meal couldn't come in much higher than 300c-400c.

1/2 of ice cream is reasonable, but again I would have to bend somewhere. I would either give up the latte and have black coffee or give up some of my snack calories to fit in it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My pet peeve? Low-fat peanut butter! How did they "improve" the flavour? They added sugar! I was majorly peeved. Now I've learned that the useful vitamins in peanut butter are all in the fat!
    A great example of what not to do yes.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Not sure what you mean by a billion servings -- it's a breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's actually a lot less food than I usually eat.

You're over-eating.

Can't state it any simpler than that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am calling BS on "eat what you want, just in moderation, and you'll lose weight."

Here's a daily menu of the foods I want in moderation:

Donut, latte.

2 slices pizza, green salad with Ranch dressing.

KFC chicken breast, side of mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, biscuit.

1/2 cup vanilla ice cream.

All food eaten in moderation. Am I'm supposed to exercise off 1,300 calories each day?

mwlof2jw9mt9.png
    Good lord, those pizza calories!
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    wow , and I thought I was nuts for craving sugar so badly. I have been on mfp for under a month and came to realize that with no exception my daily sugar intake was at least twice the quantity I was supposed to eat, whereas the other ( protein, fat, sodium) were at half the size, or in case of the sodium not even 1/4. I read this thread here, someone was asking how to cut back on sodium and I was stunned. I realize Ci/Co and as far as calories are concerned I'm all good, losing weight slowly but still wondering if that little sodium and that much sugar mean I'm not healthy regardless on the number on the scale.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

What's it a billion servings of?
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    So how do we eat the meals Deirdre described in moderation and still be satisfied?

Here is the current Australian Government Campaign been screened across Australia at the moment about sugary drinks and toxic fat. These adds appear at least twice a day.
    http://livelighter.com.au/tools-and-resources/advertisements
    http://livelighter.com.au/the-facts/about-sugary-drinks
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You are proving my point exactly -- you can't eat the foods you want in moderation AND be at maintenance calories.

Sure you can, but it has to scale to your individual TDEE. I maintain on about 3500 calories, so I could comfortably lose on all that you listed. Someone like yourself would have to perhaps scale it back a bit more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Which is why "in moderation" is as useless a term for new dieters as the C word.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options

What's it a billion servings of?

Whether it's a billion servings of one food, or one serving each of a billion foods, it's still a billion servings of food and doesn't fit any meaningful definition of "moderation".

The poster in question is getting lost in the pedantic weeds....bottom line, that's a crap load of food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This.

What I think "moderation" means is focus on getting adequate nutrients, a balanced diet, within the calories that you need to maintain. (You likely don't need to count to do that, but if not eat serving sizes that are appropriate for you and your maintenance calories.)

Assuming you have some room for additional food, fill it as you like. Sometimes I might have ice cream, sometimes I use the extra calories for a more caloric dinner and have lamb vindaloo and naan.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It is not an excessive amount of food and is all in normal servings.

People are always saying others "should eat the foods you like in moderation."

This "in moderation" concept really needs to be defined.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It is not an excessive amount of food and is all in normal servings.

People are always saying others "should eat the foods you like in moderation."

This "in moderation" concept really needs to be defined.

"In moderation" while still maintaining a caloric deficit.
  • DeWoSa
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You guys can't have it both ways. You can't say "eat what you want in moderation and you'll lose weight" and then, when faced with a simple meal plan with one serving for each meal, say "that's not in moderation".

But, let's say you are right -- let's cut this meal down so I'm hitting my calories and my macros.

Let's see:

Latte and half a donut

Half a slice of pizza and a salad (that's a small pizza, by the way -- it's half of 1/4 of a 10" pizza, so roughly 2 inches by 5 inches).

7 oz of chicken and 1/2 a cup of green beans

1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream.

Now I'm under my calories and near most of my macros except for fat.

I can't imagine eating this menu. I would be so hungry all the time.

36bf7kszadq5.png

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    1321d91.jpg
  • LolBroScience
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You guys can't have it both ways. You can't say "eat what you want in moderation and you'll lose weight" and then, when faced with a simple meal plan with one serving for each meal, say "that's not in moderation".

It's not though, based upon your activity level at 1400 calories. Obviously, you'd have to sacrifice certain foods if you were looking to consume them all within the same day for that original example, otherwise you'd blow through your caloric goal.
This discussion has been closed.