Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    That's not eating in moderation....
    It is not an excessive amount of food and is all in normal servings.

People are always saying others "should eat the foods you like in moderation."

This "in moderation" concept really needs to be defined.

"In moderation" while still maintaining a caloric deficit.

That doesn't define "in moderation."

If everyone is going to use the phrase, surely someone can define it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

"In moderation" while still maintaining a caloric deficit.

That doesn't define "in moderation."

Definition: Eat any foods you like, in the context of your calorie and nutrient goals.

It sure as **** doesn't mean "eat as many different foods in a day as you like, as long as you only have one serving size of each".

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a misunderstanding as to what moderation is. Fast food/pizza/donuts/dessert in a day for someone with a 1400 calorie limit is extremely obviously not moderation.

However, it does show why the original point is questionable. Let's say I replace the coffee and donut breakfast with my current normal breakfast of a vegetable omelet, fruit, dairy, and coffee. It's about the same calories. And I cut the sugar! Then I dump the ice cream, but I still want a snack in the evening, say, so I add a package of almonds.

Way less sugar, same basic calories.

One has to exercise common sense.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    1321d91.jpg
    I'm asking what the heck it means.

Calling me a "stupid head" will not make me think I'm dumb. It will make me think that you cannot define it and lead me to believe it may have no definition.

If you cannot define it, it means nothing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I did, consistently with how I always do in these discussions.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1321d91.jpg

Calling me a "stupid head" will not make me think I'm dumb. It will make me think that you cannot define it and lead me to believe it may have no definition.

I'm totally fine with that, because at the end of the day, I'm not responsible for your knowledge - YOU are. If you think wandering down pedantic ratholes is the best way to get to your goals, hey, go for it!

:drinker:

And I never called you (or anyone else) a "stupid head".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This.

What I think "moderation" means is focus on getting adequate nutrients, a balanced diet, within the calories that you need to maintain. (You likely don't need to count to do that, but if not eat serving sizes that are appropriate for you and your maintenance calories.)

Assuming you have some room for additional food, fill it as you like. Sometimes I might have ice cream, sometimes I use the extra calories for a more caloric dinner and have lamb vindaloo and naan.

I think that's what it means to some. Many say "eat what I want within my calories". That leaves me wondering what they're learning from the process, and what happens when they fall off the counting lifestyle wagon.

I love vindaloo.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options

That's why many people say 'fit it into your calories' instead. You can have that one thing you really want for the day, if you can fit it into your calories. Assuming your calories are mostly used by filling foods that cover your macros and nutritional needs for the day.

Someone can have a donut or some pizza or ice cream, but trying to fit it all into one day isn't going to work with a large calorie restriction. You could pick which thing you wanted to fit in that day, and easily fit it.

The idea of eating everything you'd like everyday =/= still eating the things you like as part of a healthy balanced diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There seems to be a misunderstanding as to what moderation is. Fast food/pizza/donuts/dessert in a day for someone with a 1400 calorie limit is extremely obviously not moderation.

However, it does show why the original point is questionable. Let's say I replace the coffee and donut breakfast with my current normal breakfast of a vegetable omelet, fruit, dairy, and coffee. It's about the same calories. And I cut the sugar! Then I dump the ice cream, but I still want a snack in the evening, say, so I add a package of almonds.

Way less sugar, same basic calories.

One has to exercise common sense.

Definitely less sugar. :)
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It sure as **** doesn't mean "eat as many different foods in a day as you like, as long as you only have one serving size of each".

Did you even look at the original menu?

One donut, one latte.

Two slices of pizza, salad, drink.

Chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuit, green beans, drink.

Ice cream.

That's all it is. I don't know why you think that's a billion servings.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Why not? It's one serving size of all those foods.

It's also a billion servings.

"In moderation" doesn't mean "as many foods as you like, as long as you don't eat too much of any one food". If you're over your maintenance calories, you're not eating in moderation, no matter how the calories are distributed, or what foods you're eating.
    I think it looks like a lot of people's diets, minus the 900 calories for mushroom pizza. That number for 2 slices is incredible.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options

"In moderation" doesn't mean "as many foods as you like, as long as you don't eat too much of any one food". If you're over your maintenance calories, you're not eating in moderation, no matter how the calories are distributed, or what foods you're eating.
    I think it looks like a lot of people's diets, minus the 900 calories for mushroom pizza. That number for 2 slices is incredible.
    Who knew mushrooms had so many calories? :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Who knew mushrooms had so many calories? :wink:
    ha. exactly!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BTW, while we're discussing added sugars: BBW is quite bad for that. Not to mention the fact that it's some SERIOUSLY calorically dense food.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    1321d91.jpg

I'm totally fine with that, because at the end of the day, I'm not responsible for your knowledge - YOU are. If you think wandering down pedantic ratholes is the best way to get to your goals, hey, go for it!

:drinker:

And I never called you (or anyone else) a "stupid head".
    You may as well have. That's how those little pictures come off, anyway.

Given the definitions of "in moderation" here, many people will have to be eliminating certain food from their diets and only having those foods on rare occasions.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I am calling BS on "eat what you want, just in moderation, and you'll lose weight."

Here's a daily menu of the foods I want in moderation:

Donut, latte.

2 slices pizza, green salad with Ranch dressing.

KFC chicken breast, side of mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, biscuit.

1/2 cup vanilla ice cream.

All food eaten in moderation. Am I'm supposed to exercise off 1,300 calories each day?

mwlof2jw9mt9.png

And congrats, that's not moderation at all.

giphy.gif
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

I chose the Shitake Mushroom pizza because it had vegetables on it. I just checked Mellow Mushroom's nutrition site and it's 490 a small slice.

The cheese only small slice is 310, so once you start adding extras, it can get massively high in calories pretty quickly.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Did you even look at the original menu?

One donut, one latte.

Two slices of pizza, salad, drink.

Chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuit, green beans, drink.

Ice cream.

That's all it is. I don't know why you think that's a billion servings.

And if you don't know about food, it sounds just fine, doesn't it?
    It's all about learning....
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

That's why many people say 'fit it into your calories' instead. You can have that one thing you really want for the day, if you can fit it into your calories. Assuming your calories are mostly used by filling foods that cover your macros and nutritional needs for the day.

Someone can have a donut or some pizza or ice cream, but trying to fit it all into one day isn't going to work with a large calorie restriction. You could pick which thing you wanted to fit in that day, and easily fit it.

The idea of eating everything you'd like everyday =/= still eating the things you like as part of a healthy balanced diet.

Although I actually can fit in all 3 into my day if I wanted. I'd possibly just have a hard time meeting my protein needs unless I just eat chicken and tuna all day with it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I chose the Shitake Mushroom pizza because it had vegetables on it. I just checked Mellow Mushroom's nutrition site and it's 490 a small slice.

The cheese only small slice is 310, so once you start adding extras, it can get massively high in calories pretty quickly.

What "brand" is it?

This discussion has been closed.