Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Given the definitions of "in moderation" here, many people will have to be eliminating certain food from their diets and only having those foods on rare occasions.

Exactly.

In other words...they'll have to eat them in moderation.

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    It sure as **** doesn't mean "eat as many different foods in a day as you like, as long as you only have one serving size of each".

Did you even look at the original menu?

One donut, one latte.

Two slices of pizza, salad, drink.

Chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuit, green beans, drink.

Ice cream.

That's all it is. I don't know why you think that's a billion servings.

It's not rocket science, or are you just arguing for the sake of it.
    You can have donuts and lattes. Have one or the other on different days.
    You want pizza? Have one slice. If you can't fit ice cream in every day, don't.
    Have it when it fits...There. You can eat whatever foods you like in moderation. Anyone can set up a ridiculous menu that won't work. Too bad that's a strawman argument since no one ever claimed that's what moderation means. You can do the same thing with a meal that contains no sugar or "processed" foods.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ]

And congrats, that's not moderation at all.

Why not? It's a single serving each of nine foods.

I'd have to eat a single serving of four of these nine foods to make my calories and macros.

Is that moderation, to eat four pieces of food a day?

I personally prefer to eat as much food as I can each day, within my calories and macros. Right now, at 1410 calories a day, I eat 14 single servings of food each day.

14 is a whole lot better than 4, I'd say.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think it looks like a lot of people's diets, minus the 900 calories for mushroom pizza. That number for 2 slices is incredible.

I chose the Shitake Mushroom pizza because it had vegetables on it. I just checked Mellow Mushroom's nutrition site and it's 490 a small slice.

The cheese only small slice is 310, so once you start adding extras, it can get massively high in calories pretty quickly.

Mellow Mushroom is one of the places that ended up on our 'not worth it list.' My husband and I would share a small pizza (3 slices each) and have it for two meals. At 1,200 calories it nearly wiped out my calories for the day and I was so hungry by the evening.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Given the definitions of "in moderation" here, many people will have to be eliminating certain food from their diets and only having those foods on rare occasions.

Exactly.

Lol. so we've gone full circle: don't eliminate anything, but you might have to basically eliminate things.

And then folks will ask what "rare occasions" means.

Meh, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

If one of those pieces is a 500 calorie slice of pizza - obviously, yes.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    That's not eating in moderation....

Why not? It's one serving size of all those foods.

It's also a billion servings.

"In moderation" doesn't mean "as many foods as you like, as long as you don't eat too much of any one food". If you're over your maintenance calories, you're not eating in moderation, no matter how the calories are distributed, or what foods you're eating.

Not sure what you mean by a billion servings -- it's a breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's actually a lot less food than I usually eat.

You are proving my point exactly -- you can't eat the foods you want in moderation AND be at maintenance calories.

Weird, because I actually do this every single day. I want to eat donuts and french fries and pizza and a chocolate bar? Okay, cool. can I fit it all into my day while still eating my protein needs? Probably not. So I'll eat the donut and pizza today, the fries and chocolate bar tomorrow.

Oh, I also want to eat 4 pomegranates? Well that would be well over a meal's worth of calories for very little satiety. So I'll have one a day for the next four days.

And this is all with just considering my deficit intake. I actually could eat these amounts at maintenance.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    It sure as **** doesn't mean "eat as many different foods in a day as you like, as long as you only have one serving size of each".

One donut, one latte.

Ice cream.

Have it when it fits...sheesh.

That's a lot more definitive than "eat what you want in moderation."
    So, you aren't really eating whatever you want, whenever you want. You are eating things you like, when they FIT in your available macros and calorie level.
  • DeWoSa
    Options
    What "brand" is it?

Mellow Mushroom, which is a fantastic pizza if you've never had it!

Have it when it fits...There. You can eat whatever foods you like in moderation.

Go back to page 7 and read the whole subthread.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Mushroom pizza.

Probably doesn't even taste good.

I know I use the term hyper palatable, but most of it tastes just awful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I think it looks like a lot of people's diets, minus the 900 calories for mushroom pizza. That number for 2 slices is incredible.

I chose the Shitake Mushroom pizza because it had vegetables on it. I just checked Mellow Mushroom's nutrition site and it's 490 a small slice.

The cheese only small slice is 310, so once you start adding extras, it can get massively high in calories pretty quickly.

Mellow Mushroom is one of the places that ended up on our 'not worth it list.' My husband and I would share a small pizza (3 slices each) and have it for two meals. At 1,200 calories it nearly wiped out my calories for the day and I was so hungry by the evening.

Yeah, that would NOT be worth it to me either.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

One donut, one latte.

Ice cream.

Have it when it fits...There. You can eat whatever foods you like in moderation. Anyone can set up a ridiculous menu that won't work. Too bad that's a strawman argument since no one ever claimed that's what moderation means. You can do the same thing with a meal that contains no sugar or "processed" foods.

One slice of pizza? No thanks
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Lol. so we've gone full circle: don't eliminate anything, but you might have to basically eliminate things.

And then folks will ask what "rare occasions" means.

Meh, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Round and round and round we go. Where it stops, no one knows.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It is not an excessive amount of food and is all in normal servings.

People are always saying others "should eat the foods you like in moderation."

This "in moderation" concept really needs to be defined.

Yet it is an excessive amount of calories. To eat within moderation doesn't simply entail portion sizes, it means being mindful of the calories those foods have.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    What "brand" is it?

Mellow Mushroom, which is a fantastic pizza if you've never had it!

Have it when it fits...There. You can eat whatever foods you like in moderation.

Go back to page 7 and read the whole subthread.

Never heard of it. hmm. Glad I haven't.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Mushroom pizza.

A slice of neopolitan style pizza is maybe half of that, so we're talking about a slice that is drowning in fat calories, and probably a bunch of buried sugar in the sauce and crust.

Doesn't sound appealing to me at all...especially since it obviously blows up the daily meal plan.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

One donut, one latte.

Ice cream.

One slice of pizza? No thanks

It's an example. You're being as obtuse and pedantic as the other one.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Mushroom pizza.

A slice of neopolitan style pizza is maybe half of that, so we're talking about a slice that is drowning in fat calories, and probably a bunch of buried sugar in the sauce and crust.

Doesn't sound appealing to me at all...especially since it obviously blows up the daily meal plan.
    Doesn't appeal to me either. Definitely.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It is not an excessive amount of food and is all in normal servings.

People are always saying others "should eat the foods you like in moderation."

This "in moderation" concept really needs to be defined.

Yet it is an excessive amount of calories. To eat within moderation doesn't simply entail portion sizes, it means being mindful of the calories those foods have.
    And the challenge is: eating "what you want", within, say, 1500 calories, while meeting all those magical macros....
    Not so easy. Seems much harder than just limiting a few things.
    But again: different strokes.
  • DeWoSa
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Weird, because I actually do this every single day. I want to eat donuts and french fries and pizza and a chocolate bar? Okay, cool. can I fit it all into my day while still eating my protein needs? Probably not. So I'll eat the donut and pizza today, the fries and chocolate bar tomorrow.

Oh, I also want to eat 4 pomegranates? Well that would be well over a meal's worth of calories for very little satiety. So I'll have one a day for the next four days.

And this is all with just considering my deficit intake. I actually could eat these amounts at maintenance.

You aren't eating what you want in moderation. You are restricting what you want and parceling it out to different days so you can meet your numbers.

This discussion has been closed.