Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Weird, because I actually do this every single day. I want to eat donuts and french fries and pizza and a chocolate bar? Okay, cool. can I fit it all into my day while still eating my protein needs? Probably not. So I'll eat the donut and pizza today, the fries and chocolate bar tomorrow.

Oh, I also want to eat 4 pomegranates? Well that would be well over a meal's worth of calories for very little satiety. So I'll have one a day for the next four days.

And this is all with just considering my deficit intake. I actually could eat these amounts at maintenance.

You aren't eating what you want in moderation. You are restricting what you want and parceling it out to different days so you can meet your numbers.

Would it help you to consider the entire category of calorie-dense foods as one? That's what I do. As in, I can have pizza OR fried chicken in one day, not both.

To me it would be easier (than "moderation" as defined above) to have a few great favorites, be it pizza, or nachos or wings, or whatever and build those into a natural, normal lifestyle (as they naturally occur) and otherwise to eat a nutrient dense, and tasty whole foods diet.
    Rather than saying ANYTHING (as long as it fits my 1500 hypothetical calories, and the rest of my day, and I worked out, or will work out, and it fits my macros), I'd much more easily say: I eat a few key tasty-assed calorie bombs, when they naturally occur in life, and otherwise I try to fuel my body with great tasting nutrient dense foods.

Dunno. But that's basically what I do already. All these years. I build my diet around great tasting and healthful foods, with the occasional indulgence in something I wouldn't normally eat regularly because it's so calorically dense, and nutrient light.
    And then yes, I'll keep limiting added sugars, and highly processed convenience foods. Works for me.

Calorie-dense foods occur in my life pretty much daily. I don't indulge in anything, because everything can be very easily worked into my caloric intake. Whether that means eating to maintenance or even a bit above maintenance if needed, doesn't matter. Most of the time it fits into my deficit. The times I've eaten to maintenance I had no problems fitting things into my macros. But then again I don't consider any foods to be healthful vs not healthful. It's all food, and I just see it as sources of a) tastiness, b) calories, c) macros.

Well, time will tell if macros are enough for a lifetime.

and cherry picking. cheers

What does that even mean?

which part

Both

The poster said she doesn't consider any foods to be healthful versus not healthful. I question whether that approach will work for the long run as an approach.

Cherry picking: doesn't that speak for itself on an internet forum?

I fail to see why looking at food in terms of nutrients (macros, etc) instead of viewing certain foods as good or bad would not be a sustainable approach.
    Why do you question that approach? A concrete answer.

Choosing foods simply based on macros and deeming all foods as "good for you"? (if none are bad for you), no. I don't think it is.
    It's not "demonizing" but no. IMHO, McDonalds isn't "good for you" other than meeting some magical arbitrary macros. Not fear mongering. Not demonizing. It's just barely food.

Im out. The dogs need walking. cheers

That's your own opinion. Mcdonalds is food to me - protein, fat, and carbs. Calcium and iron as well. Would I eat it daily if I weren't GF? No, because I'd get tired of eating it daily and I wouldn't be able to properly meet my macro needs eating only mcdonalds every day.

Yep, I choose all foods based on macros. Ate calorie-dense foods today because I was lazy and it all fit my macros. Does it matter that I ate sloppy joes or went over my sodium? nope, because it's one day out of many and one type of meal out of many. moderation leads to variation.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Weird, because I actually do this every single day. I want to eat donuts and french fries and pizza and a chocolate bar? Okay, cool. can I fit it all into my day while still eating my protein needs? Probably not. So I'll eat the donut and pizza today, the fries and chocolate bar tomorrow.

Oh, I also want to eat 4 pomegranates? Well that would be well over a meal's worth of calories for very little satiety. So I'll have one a day for the next four days.

And this is all with just considering my deficit intake. I actually could eat these amounts at maintenance.

You aren't eating what you want in moderation. You are restricting what you want and parceling it out to different days so you can meet your numbers.

That's what "in moderation" means.
    ugh, yes. Exactly. Moderation doesn't mean "I want to eat KFC all day, so I will have one serving of each item that I want at every meal." it means "you know, I'm really craving some KFC. What can I eat today that will fit my macros? Oh, I can't have the popcorn chicken and the burger? I guess I'll have the burger tomorrow!"

tumblr_m0flyaqXFI1ro5rmlo1_500.gif

You are always telling everyone not to eliminate things. Daily, you repeat that foods shouldn't be saved for special occasions.

You might see, now, how it would be difficult to not eliminate anything...and how some people might have to save things for special occasions.

Except this is not eliminating anything.

"completely remove or get rid of (something)."

I am not completely removing KFC (although I actually did, because I have been gluten-free for almost 5 years to resolve my painful digestive issues). If I want to eat KFC, then I either make room for it ahead of time or I will eat what I can on that day and then eat more another day. I made baked oatmeal today,and it wasn't great but it was good enough that I wanted to eat it again at dinner. But I didn't have the calories for it so instead I'll be eating more of it tomorrow. Have I eliminated it? No. Do I have to save it for a special occasion? No, unless tomorrow is a special occasion that I'm unaware of.
    Not asking about what you do.

Assume one needs to spend a year losing weight. This person needs to eat 1200/day because they are "a special snowflake." They cannot work all of the hundreds of yummy things into their diet in that year because even once a week makes it hard to "meet their macros and micros." So, they obviously will not be eating all those hundreds of yummy foods and will be eliminating some, at least while they lose weight.

Can you agree that it would be reasonable for them to eliminate some of those foods?

If they want to, sure. Do they need to? No. Because it's highly unlikely that eating like 200 calories of candy and chocolate in a week will prevent them from meeting their macro and micronutrient goals.
    how does one work in 300 different treat on one a week.

200 calories is 1/2 of a blueberry muffin, so that's one week. It takes that Blueberry Muffin Day down to 1000 other calories, but that's one week.

Now we have 299.5 things left for the other 51 weeks, unless we are just throwing the other half of the muffin away, in which case it's 299.

I really, really want to know how you have this worked out - that nothing needs to be eliminated, all things are included, in moderation.

I just "can't grasp" how that works. Please do enlighten me.

Who eats 300 different pieces of sweets in a week? If you want to eat half a muffin, go ahead. Then you can eat the other half the next day.

Your logic against moderation basically makes no sense. No food needs to be eliminated for weight loss, and if someone wants to eat a piece of chocolate every day then they can. If they find that after a few months they start getting tired of that daily chocolate, or they are not getting in enough veggies or something because of it, they might choose to scale it back to every other day or to 5x a week.

That's moderation. you eat anything you want, within your caloric and macro and micro (if you monitor those - I don't because I eat a variety of foods already) needs.
    Again, we aren't talking about you.

I'm not arguing against moderation. I'm try "to grasp" how you propose it will work without eliminating anything.

It's not 300 things in a week, remember? We have a year here. This person has eliminated those 300 things, but going on your recommendation of not eliminating anything, we have to work those 300 things into this year of weight loss.

Week One is 1/2 of a blueberry muffin, leaving 299.5 things for the next 51 weeks, or 299 if they must throw out the other half of the muffin.

How are we going to work those 299.5 (or 299) things into the next 51 weeks?

So are we totally ignoring the fact that cutting the size of your portions down is not elimination?
    That's up to ana. It could go either way. Maybe 1/2 of a muffin means it is included, maybe we will eat the other half another day.

I just don't know how this works. All I know is nothing needs to be eliminated for this year.

I just don't know how it gets worked in.

No, it's not up to me. Because I did not invent the meaning of the word "elimination." I will again repost its dictionary definition.

completely remove or get rid of (something).
    "a policy that would eliminate inflation"
    synonyms: remove, get rid of, put an end to, do away with, end, stop, terminate, eradicate, destroy, annihilate, stamp out, wipe out, extinguish

Included synonyms in case the definition itself wasn't clear.

Eating a muffin over 2 days doesn't eliminate that muffin... because you've eaten it.

I invite you to go back, re-read it (I went through it twice) and then explain how it's going to work.
  • ana3067
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

ugh, yes. Exactly. Moderation doesn't mean "I want to eat KFC all day, so I will have one serving of each item that I want at every meal." it means "you know, I'm really craving some KFC. What can I eat today that will fit my macros? Oh, I can't have the popcorn chicken and the burger? I guess I'll have the burger tomorrow!"

You are always telling everyone not to eliminate things. Daily, you repeat that foods shouldn't be saved for special occasions.

You might see, now, how it would be difficult to not eliminate anything...and how some people might have to save things for special occasions.

I am not completely removing KFC (although I actually did, because I have been gluten-free for almost 5 years to resolve my painful digestive issues). If I want to eat KFC, then I either make room for it ahead of time or I will eat what I can on that day and then eat more another day. I made baked oatmeal today,and it wasn't great but it was good enough that I wanted to eat it again at dinner. But I didn't have the calories for it so instead I'll be eating more of it tomorrow. Have I eliminated it? No. Do I have to save it for a special occasion? No, unless tomorrow is a special occasion that I'm unaware of.

Assume one needs to spend a year losing weight. This person needs to eat 1200/day because they are "a special snowflake." They cannot work all of the hundreds of yummy things into their diet in that year because even once a week makes it hard to "meet their macros and micros." So, they obviously will not be eating all those hundreds of yummy foods and will be eliminating some, at least while they lose weight.

Can you agree that it would be reasonable for them to eliminate some of those foods?

If they want to, sure. Do they need to? No. Because it's highly unlikely that eating like 200 calories of candy and chocolate in a week will prevent them from meeting their macro and micronutrient goals.

200 calories is 1/2 of a blueberry muffin, so that's one week. It takes that Blueberry Muffin Day down to 1000 other calories, but that's one week.

Now we have 299.5 things left for the other 51 weeks, unless we are just throwing the other half of the muffin away, in which case it's 299.

I really, really want to know how you have this worked out - that nothing needs to be eliminated, all things are included, in moderation.

Someone makes a comment about 200.calories in candy or chocolate and she takes it as someone saying 300 different treats. Lol

Let's see 299 treats left, 364 days left. Not that hard.

Ikr? Like now I'm confused where all that came from lol. But if someone gave me 365 of THESE, I'd eat one a day no problem

SGB-single-GDS1.jpg
    You know very well that isn't what happened there.

I would think something that you claim is SO EASY would be easily explained.

Guess not.

Maybe one day you will explain it.

Yes it is. I stated that it's not hard to fit in 200 calories of "junk" in a day if someone really wants to, and you somehow turned that into eating 300 individual items. Do I eat chocolate every day? Sometimes, sure. Most of the time, no. That goes for everything I eat - I don't eat pomegranates every day they are in season because I don't buy enough for daily consumption and because even when I do I eventually tire of them. I love eating omelets for breakfast but even I need to switch it up with protein pancakes or baked oatmeal or whey + greek yogurt and other things.

I and others have also already explained how moderation works. And how it is pretty easy.

Steps:

1) Wake up, log something that you want to eat.
    2) Eat the food.
    3) Log the rest of your day to fit the rest of your macro and micro needs if you monitor micros (and when I first started here, I did actually use entries with micro information, and I consistently was over in many of my micros despite still eating crappy food a lot)
    4) repeat the next day.

Alternate scenario:
    1) Log your meals as you go, eat.
    2) It's dinner time, you are craving ice cream. Log how much you desire, see if it fits. If you monitor macros and eating 200ml ice cream means you can't get in your last 10g of protein, then lower that ice cream to 100ml and now you can eat that 10g of protein from like... yogurt or something. Or eat 200ml ice cream and eat an additional 10g of protein tomorrow.
    3) eat.
    4) repeat the next day.

My diary is pretty much a 180+day example of how moderation works.
  • Kalikel
    edited December 2014
    Options

Someone makes a comment about 200.calories in candy or chocolate and she takes it as someone saying 300 different treats. Lol

Ikr? Like now I'm confused where all that came from lol. But if someone gave me 365 of THESE, I'd eat one a day no problem

SGB-single-GDS1.jpg

Guess not.

Yes it is. I stated that it's not hard to fit in 200 calories of "junk" in a day if someone really wants to, and you somehow turned that into eating 300 individual items. Do I eat chocolate every day? Sometimes, sure. Most of the time, no. That goes for everything I eat - I don't eat pomegranates every day they are in season because I don't buy enough for daily consumption and because even when I do I eventually tire of them. I love eating omelets for breakfast but even I need to switch it up with protein pancakes or baked oatmeal or whey + greek yogurt and other things.

I and others have also already explained how moderation works. And how it is pretty easy.

Steps:

2) Eat the food.
    3) Log the rest of your day to fit the rest of your macro and micro needs if you monitor micros (and when I first started here, I did actually use entries with micro information, and I consistently was over in many of my micros despite still eating crappy food a lot)
    4) repeat the next day.

Alternate scenario:
    2) It's dinner time, you are craving ice cream. Log how much you desire, see if it fits. If you monitor macros and eating 200ml ice cream means you can't get in your last 10g of protein, then lower that ice cream to 100ml and now you can eat that 10g of protein from like... yogurt or something. Or eat 200ml ice cream and eat an additional 10g of protein tomorrow.
    3) eat.
    4) repeat the next day.

None of that explains what I asked, which you can go back and read.

And, again, it has nothing to do with you.

Also, if you go back and read, I'd mentioned the "hundreds" of items before you came up with the first 200 calories in a week. That really doesn't matter, though.

The question remains.
  • ana3067
    Options

Who eats 300 different pieces of sweets in a week? If you want to eat half a muffin, go ahead. Then you can eat the other half the next day.

Your logic against moderation basically makes no sense. No food needs to be eliminated for weight loss, and if someone wants to eat a piece of chocolate every day then they can. If they find that after a few months they start getting tired of that daily chocolate, or they are not getting in enough veggies or something because of it, they might choose to scale it back to every other day or to 5x a week.

That's moderation. you eat anything you want, within your caloric and macro and micro (if you monitor those - I don't because I eat a variety of foods already) needs.

I'm not arguing against moderation. I'm try "to grasp" how you propose it will work without eliminating anything.

It's not 300 things in a week, remember? We have a year here. This person has eliminated those 300 things, but going on your recommendation of not eliminating anything, we have to work those 300 things into this year of weight loss.

Week One is 1/2 of a blueberry muffin, leaving 299.5 things for the next 51 weeks, or 299 if they must throw out the other half of the muffin.

So are we totally ignoring the fact that cutting the size of your portions down is not elimination?
    That's up to ana. It could go either way. Maybe 1/2 of a muffin means it is included, maybe we will eat the other half another day.

I just don't know how this works. All I know is nothing needs to be eliminated for this year.

No, it's not up to me. Because I did not invent the meaning of the word "elimination." I will again repost its dictionary definition.

synonyms: remove, get rid of, put an end to, do away with, end, stop, terminate, eradicate, destroy, annihilate, stamp out, wipe out, extinguish

Eating a muffin over 2 days doesn't eliminate that muffin... because you've eaten it.

I invite you to go back, re-read it (I went through it twice) and then explain how it's going to work.

day1_zpsd231c708.png
    day2_zps721518f7.png
    Wow, i'm within my 1200 calorie goal and I was able to eat THREE treats.
  • ana3067
    Options

SGB-single-GDS1.jpg

Guess not.

Steps:

2) Eat the food.
    4) repeat the next day.

Alternate scenario:
    3) eat.
    4) repeat the next day.

Why even bother explaining I t to her. She doesn't understand it because she doesn't want to understand it. Somehow she turned 200 calories a day into 300 different treats.

1URAWTP.png?1

Because ignorance is annoying OKAY, lol.
  • Kalikel
    edited December 2014
    Options

day1_zpsd231c708.png
    day2_zps721518f7.png
    Again, for what? The fifth time?

It has nothing to do with you.

I give up. I don't think you are even going to attempt an explanation and have tired of waiting for one.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    We keep hearing "Don't eliminate food, eat what you like in moderation as long as you stay within your daily limit"

So in real life - meet your friend for breakfast and have a latte and donut, go to lunch with hubby and have 2 slices of pizza, take the kids to KFC and watch them eat. Nothing for you as you are already over your calories for the day. Oh hey, I went for a walk today I can bum a couple of chips off the kids.

Yeah sure - I don't feel deprived.

You feel deprived because you can't eat out three times in one day?

Moderation isn't a per-meal thing, IMO. It's a per-day thing. If there's something heavy in calories I want, I work my day around that. If I can't fit it in, I try again another day.

No I feel deprived because I'm hungry (grrrrrrr that is my tummy rumbling) :D

Even if I ate that at home, by dinner time I would hungry.
  • ana3067
    Options

day1_zpsd231c708.png
    day2_zps721518f7.png

I give up. I don't think you are even going to attempt an explanation and have tired of waiting for one.

You wanted me to explain how moderation works. This is an example of moderation and of fitting in treats.

So, this could be Sally's diet. Because god knows I would not only eat 1200 calories. BUt if sally needs to eat 1200 calories then this is what Sally can eat if she wants.

I have explained moderation and how one eats treats if one desires many, many times. And we already established the meaning of moderation and elimination. At this point I have no idea what the flying frack you are confused about
  • Kalikel
    edited December 2014
    Options

day1_zpsd231c708.png
    day2_zps721518f7.png

You wanted me to explain how moderation works. This is an example of moderation and of fitting in treats.

So, this could be Sally's diet. Because god knows I would not only eat 1200 calories. BUt if sally needs to eat 1200 calories then this is what Sally can eat if she wants.

I have explained moderation and how one eats treats if one desires many, many times. And we already established the meaning of moderation and elimination. At this point I have no idea what the flying frack you are confused about
    No, I wanted you to explain what I asked you to explain, which I went through more than once.

I'd repeat it, but it's already there to be read, so the point of repeating it? I don't see a point.

Maybe some other time.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    and the little yappy dog in the background is not helping the situation.
  • ana3067
    Options

day1_zpsd231c708.png
    day2_zps721518f7.png

No, I wanted you to explain what I asked you to explain, which it went through more than once.

I'd repeat it, but it's already there to be read, so the point of repeating it? I don't see a point.

Maybe some other time.
    If you won't even bother simply restating the specific question you want answered, then I'm going to guess that at this point, regardless of what you're wanting me to answer, you will simply disagree with me or say "this is not what I wanted to know, this is not about you, blah blah blah"
  • Kalikel
    Options

day1_zpsd231c708.png
    day2_zps721518f7.png

No, I wanted you to explain what I asked you to explain, which it went through more than once.

Maybe some other time.
    If you won't even bother simply restating the specific question you want answered, then I'm going to guess that at this point, regardless of what you're wanting me to answer, you will simply disagree with me or say "this is not what I wanted to know, this is not about you, blah blah blah"
    It's there to be read, if you'd like to go back and read it. :)
  • ana3067
    Options
    Here is a plethora of gifs to demonstrate the stupidity of this thread.

tumblr_lsrn81a7hw1qj8cp3.gif
    6HfGd7v.gif
    tumblr_lndhnf2VPt1qevs4ho1_500.gif
    OCp1Dsg.gif
    tumblr_m6ywxwxETE1qmrla4.gif
    GkycPMF.gif (this was such a solid episode, omg. Poor Leoben.)
    Rose-Tyler-Annoyed-Eye-Roll-On-Doctor-Who.gif
    HLSALP8.gif
  • ana3067
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Mgorham said - "For some of us carbs/sugar are trigger foods that knock us off track".
    I am one of those people. The word moderation does not come into eating half a muffin or half a cake. Let's be honest here, I will have the whole thing, eating a stale piece of cake the next day has no appeal whatsoever. GF cakes and muffins are shocking the next day.

This used to be me... when I put restrictions on food.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Here is a plethora of gifs to demonstrate the stupidity of this thread.

The whole thread, or just the part where you state that no one needs to eliminate any foods from their diet, then announce that you are gluten free?
This discussion has been closed.