Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Seriously? How is it possible to make a tortilla without fat? Fat and sugar perform completely different functions in dough, it's impossible to substitute one for the other.

Look around. It's done a lot with tortillas in particular.

The beloved (barf) chipotles says they use hydrogenated soybean oil. yum
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    objection, subjective.

for me the easiest thing to cut out was Dairy.

Heh, and for me it would be one of the hardest, although part of this is what ana's been talking about in wanting something more if it's off-limits.

When I started this I did a paleo challenge thing (I could go into why, but I won't), and found it was a hassle to not be able to buy lunch/be so limited if going out, but on the whole no big thing to give up gluten/sweets in terms of personal taste. But WOW did I want my dairy. And the funny thing is I almost never drink milk, but all of a sudden I was dying for a glass of milk. After I stopped the main change in my diet was lots more dairy than I'd been eating/drinking before, including some milk for a while, and then I went back to normal and had lots of cottage cheese/yogurt and, sure, ice cream and cheese and sometimes butter, but no more milk.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    who are you talking about - me or the OP because that is certainly not my position.

This current bizarre paranoia where the main problem with eating lots of McD's is there's some sugar in the ketchup or whatever makes no sense to me.
    I haven't seen this as an actual thing. Just something that's singled out for hyperbole and mention on MFP.

I saw it in a discussion on MFP by someone making that argument (not someone making fun of the argument as a hypothetical thing, but someone actually making it).

That ketchup from mcdonalds made them fat or an over abundance of added (hidden) sugars made them fat? (neither of which is true).

That people over-consume fast food because it has sugar which is addictive.

I was pretty amazed by that argument too. I don't care for McDonalds anyway (I like fat and salt, but I source it from elsewhere :) ), but it seems obvious to me that the sugar that happens to be in the burger and fries is not the reason, and if it's the soda it's pretty easy to get soda without also buying a meal.

For what it's worth, I was curious about the grams of sugar so did a bit more research. In a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, there are 740 calories and 9 grams of sugar (or 36 calories). Those sugar grams are from: ketchup (3 grams), onions (1 gram), and the bun (5 grams). Medium fries would add 350 calories, no sugar.

Oh, that's another topic entirely. That's not ketchup makes me fat.

I think fast food can somewhat hyper-palatable for many, but no, not addictive.

The QP is the one with three white bread buns, yes? How'd they get only 5 grams in 3 white bread buns?
    No, just a regular sesame seed bun for a QP. As for the only 5 grams of sugar? Sugar isn't usually an ingredient in bread. Flour, salt, yeast, water, sometimes milk and/or butter depending on the type of bread, but very rarely do I see recipes calling for sugar, unless it's intentionally a sweet bread.

Most bread has a little, but again, look around.
    McDonalds buns have HFCS
    Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, ..

as do many store bought breads these days.

thanks for the clarification on how many buns.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Are you suggesting fat+salt is more appealing? I actually wonder if it's all three together, in one big hyper palatable bundle.

No, just that it's individual. For me it's definitely fat and salt over sugar (and, well behind, sugar plus fat over straight sugar), and I don't think adding sugar too would help. (I actually dislike sweet tastes in foods that to me aren't supposed to be sweet--even as a kid I thought Burger King ketchup was disgusting because extra sweet, I have always thought sugar in coffee was weird, and I cannot stand overly sweet salad dressings like honey mustard, although vinegar never bothers me.)

I'm just agreeing that the issue is palatability vs. "addictiveness" and that there are other tastes or combinations of tastes that can be as cheaply palatable as sugar, fat + salt being one.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Are you suggesting fat+salt is more appealing? I actually wonder if it's all three together, in one big hyper palatable bundle.

No, just that it's individual. For me it's definitely fat and salt over sugar (and, well behind, sugar plus fat over straight sugar), and I don't think adding sugar too would help. (I actually dislike sweet tastes in foods that to me aren't supposed to be sweet--even as a kid I thought Burger King ketchup was disgusting because extra sweet, I have always thought sugar in coffee was weird, and I cannot stand overly sweet salad dressings like honey mustard, although vinegar never bothers me.)

I'm just agreeing that the issue is palatability vs. "addictiveness" and that there are other tastes or combinations of tastes that can be as cheaply palatable as sugar, fat + salt being one.
    Ah, gotcha.
  • IIGuardian
    IIGuardian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I loved the original post, and couldn't have ever put it any better. I also knew where the thread was headed afterwards. I just ignore the negativity. Reducing my intake of added sugar has been a godsend for me, and is the most sustainable road to weight loss that I've ever found.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    Options
    IIGuardian wrote: »
    I loved the original post, and couldn't have ever put it any better. I also knew where the thread was headed afterwards. I just ignore the negativity. Reducing my intake of added sugar has been a godsend for me, and is the most sustainable road to weight loss that I've ever found.

Agreed (as I said before). Cheers

And when it comes to added sugars: STARBUCKS may win.
    That innocuous sounding "Oprah Chai Latte" is stunning.

And again: we're talking context. Part of a bigger picture. The more heavily processed convenience foods, the more sugar and whatnot you get.
    All those calories add up. The Oprah chai latte has at least 124 calories of sugar.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    objection, subjective.

for me the easiest thing to cut out was Dairy.

Heh, and for me it would be one of the hardest, although part of this is what ana's been talking about in wanting something more if it's off-limits.

When I started this I did a paleo challenge thing (I could go into why, but I won't), and found it was a hassle to not be able to buy lunch/be so limited if going out, but on the whole no big thing to give up gluten/sweets in terms of personal taste. But WOW did I want my dairy. And the funny thing is I almost never drink milk, but all of a sudden I was dying for a glass of milk. After I stopped the main change in my diet was lots more dairy than I'd been eating/drinking before, including some milk for a while, and then I went back to normal and had lots of cottage cheese/yogurt and, sure, ice cream and cheese and sometimes butter, but no more milk.

i do miss fried cheese tho. i know this feel.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    who are you talking about - me or the OP because that is certainly not my position.

This current bizarre paranoia where the main problem with eating lots of McD's is there's some sugar in the ketchup or whatever makes no sense to me.
    I haven't seen this as an actual thing. Just something that's singled out for hyperbole and mention on MFP.

I saw it in a discussion on MFP by someone making that argument (not someone making fun of the argument as a hypothetical thing, but someone actually making it).

That ketchup from mcdonalds made them fat or an over abundance of added (hidden) sugars made them fat? (neither of which is true).

I was pretty amazed by that argument too. I don't care for McDonalds anyway (I like fat and salt, but I source it from elsewhere :) ), but it seems obvious to me that the sugar that happens to be in the burger and fries is not the reason, and if it's the soda it's pretty easy to get soda without also buying a meal.

For what it's worth, I was curious about the grams of sugar so did a bit more research. In a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, there are 740 calories and 9 grams of sugar (or 36 calories). Those sugar grams are from: ketchup (3 grams), onions (1 gram), and the bun (5 grams). Medium fries would add 350 calories, no sugar.

The QP is the one with three white bread buns, yes? How'd they get only 5 grams in 3 white bread buns?
    No!

The QP has one BIG burger and a regular bun (much like the Whopper at Burger King.) The Big Mac has two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

I knew my fast food knowledge would come in handy one day. :grinning:

Edit: I see this was already clarified. Oops.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

No!

The QP has one BIG burger and a regular bun (much like the Whopper at Burger King.) The Big Mac has two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

LOL. it's good for something! cheers!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Whopper is on a seeded bun with lettuce tomato onions pickles ketchup and mustard...so it just has less bread and a bigger single patty. mmmmmmmm

now i want.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Whopper is on a seeded bun with lettuce tomato onions pickles ketchup and mustard...so it just has less bread and a bigger single patty. mmmmmmmm

now i want.
    Not particularly better nutrient wise.
    https://www.bk.com/pdfs/nutrition.pdf
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2014
    Options

No!

I was way more impressed by your knowledge of The Jeffersons!

(Mainly because I'd been going to post something similar to what you did, but you had way more details than I was able to remember.)

Um, speaking of, facts about past MFP threads may be driving more important information out of my head.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Actually, it's much easier to simply cut back on all foods and still eat everything you love.

Most people who undergo elimination diets for weight loss (as opposed to doing it for medical reasons) are likely to fail, revert back to old eating habits, and this usually means eating more calories again.

No foods have "empty calories" because all calories matter.

This entire post could have basically just been your last line: "the main thing is to get into a calorie deficit" and NOT to cut out foods.

This. I'm not willing to demonize any food to any extent, or to cut out anything I don't like unless my doctor tells . Me to for heAlth reasons.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

No!

I was way more impressed by your knowledge of The Jeffersons!

(Mainly because I'd been going to post something similar to what you did, but you had way more details than I was able to remember.)

Um, speaking of, facts about past MFP threads may be driving more important information out of my head.
    My brain is too cluttered with things like Jeffersons trivia and Big Mac ads. It is a shame I know that Florence's favorite movie star was Billy Dee Williams, but cannot ever remember if I took my calcium with lunch or not.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    All these threads do is make me want McDonalds. D*mn you all. ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Actually, it's much easier to simply cut back on all foods and still eat everything you love.

Most people who undergo elimination diets for weight loss (as opposed to doing it for medical reasons) are likely to fail, revert back to old eating habits, and this usually means eating more calories again.

This entire post could have basically just been your last line: "the main thing is to get into a calorie deficit" and NOT to cut out foods.

This. I'm not willing to demonize any food to any extent, or to cut out anything I don't like unless my doctor tells . Me to for heAlth reasons.
    Who's demonizing?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve? Low-fat peanut butter! How did they "improve" the flavour? They added sugar! I was majorly peeved. Now I've learned that the useful vitamins in peanut butter are all in the fat!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Who's demonizing?

Anyone that want to reduce their sugar intake.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am calling BS on "eat what you want, just in moderation, and you'll lose weight."

Here's a daily menu of the foods I want in moderation:

Donut, latte.

2 slices pizza, green salad with Ranch dressing.

KFC chicken breast, side of mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, biscuit.

1/2 cup vanilla ice cream.

All food eaten in moderation. Am I'm supposed to exercise off 1,300 calories each day?

mwlof2jw9mt9.png
This discussion has been closed.