Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ana, do you think eliminating wheat from your diet and resolving your digestive issues could be the reason you are doing so well?
    In the Paleo world, one of the best things you can do for your health is to eliminate wheat hence the saying "Never cheat with wheat"
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Ana, do you think eliminating wheat from your diet and resolving your digestive issues could be the reason you are doing so well?
    In the Paleo world, one of the best things you can do for your health is to eliminate wheat hence the saying "Never cheat with wheat"

No, because I stopped eating gluten 5 years ago. And I lost weight (50ish lbs) before going GF, also gained weight years after I went GF. Only benefit of being GF is that I no longer have painful bloating, don't have constant gas (most of the time, although I do notice that when I use our toaster I do tend to get gassy, so I might buy myself a mini toaster just for myself to avoid obvious cross-contamination), and don't struggle with diarrhea and constipation all the time outside of when I'm dehydrated.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Weird, because I actually do this every single day. I want to eat donuts and french fries and pizza and a chocolate bar? Okay, cool. can I fit it all into my day while still eating my protein needs? Probably not. So I'll eat the donut and pizza today, the fries and chocolate bar tomorrow.

Oh, I also want to eat 4 pomegranates? Well that would be well over a meal's worth of calories for very little satiety. So I'll have one a day for the next four days.

And this is all with just considering my deficit intake. I actually could eat these amounts at maintenance.

You aren't eating what you want in moderation. You are restricting what you want and parceling it out to different days so you can meet your numbers.

That's what "in moderation" means.
    ugh, yes. Exactly. Moderation doesn't mean "I want to eat KFC all day, so I will have one serving of each item that I want at every meal." it means "you know, I'm really craving some KFC. What can I eat today that will fit my macros? Oh, I can't have the popcorn chicken and the burger? I guess I'll have the burger tomorrow!"

tumblr_m0flyaqXFI1ro5rmlo1_500.gif

You are always telling everyone not to eliminate things. Daily, you repeat that foods shouldn't be saved for special occasions.

You might see, now, how it would be difficult to not eliminate anything...and how some people might have to save things for special occasions.

Except this is not eliminating anything.

"completely remove or get rid of (something)."

I am not completely removing KFC (although I actually did, because I have been gluten-free for almost 5 years to resolve my painful digestive issues). If I want to eat KFC, then I either make room for it ahead of time or I will eat what I can on that day and then eat more another day. I made baked oatmeal today,and it wasn't great but it was good enough that I wanted to eat it again at dinner. But I didn't have the calories for it so instead I'll be eating more of it tomorrow. Have I eliminated it? No. Do I have to save it for a special occasion? No, unless tomorrow is a special occasion that I'm unaware of.
    Not asking about what you do.

Assume one needs to spend a year losing weight. This person needs to eat 1200/day because they are "a special snowflake." They cannot work all of the hundreds of yummy things into their diet in that year because even once a week makes it hard to "meet their macros and micros." So, they obviously will not be eating all those hundreds of yummy foods and will be eliminating some, at least while they lose weight.

Can you agree that it would be reasonable for them to eliminate some of those foods?
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    We keep hearing "Don't eliminate food, eat what you like in moderation as long as you stay within your daily limit"

So in real life - meet your friend for breakfast and have a latte and donut, go to lunch with hubby and have 2 slices of pizza, take the kids to KFC and watch them eat. Nothing for you as you are already over your calories for the day. Oh hey, I went for a walk today I can bum a couple of chips off the kids.

Yeah sure - I don't feel deprived.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »

mmm I haven't made brownies in ages, partially because I've not found a good protein brownie recipe but also because being GF can make baking delicious chewy fudgy desserts a pain :(

We make delicious GF walnut brownies. Walnuts, sugar, chocolate, egg, a little vanilla, salt and leavening. Lots of omega-3. They're good for the kid to eat, but when I eat them, I eat fewer calories overall, so I haven't made them in forever.

no flour?

No flour. The recipe was inspired by those three-ingredient peanut butter cookies (peanut butter, sugar, egg).

Hm, interesting. I did actually make PB cookies like this but with whey powder. Are the walnuts ground, or just pieces? same for chocolate, is it pieces or do you melt it? Might be something to try over Christmas break :)

Ground. I toss the walnuts in the food processor, grind them into itty bits. Add the sugar and let it act as an abrasive to get the nuts finer, until they're starting to turn into nut butter. Toss in the eggs/salt/leavening and whiz it more. The chocolate can either be added with the walnuts or melted and added after the eggs - it seems to come out the same once it's been baked. If you've been successful with whey powder added to the peanut butter cookies - it might work here, and add a little chew.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options
    Eating in moderation isn't all that simple, is it? It takes planning and forethought. It takes tweaking and figuring. It takes following limits, just like every other food plan.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »

No, because I stopped eating gluten 5 years ago. And I lost weight (50ish lbs) before going GF, also gained weight years after I went GF. Only benefit of being GF is that I no longer have painful bloating, don't have constant gas (most of the time, although I do notice that when I use our toaster I do tend to get gassy, so I might buy myself a mini toaster just for myself to avoid obvious cross-contamination), and don't struggle with diarrhea and constipation all the time outside of when I'm dehydrated.

I can relate to all of that and certainly don't miss any of those symptoms. :) Good for you, whatever you are doing works for you. Congrats on the weight loss, quite an achievement. :D
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Given the definitions of "in moderation" here, many people will have to be eliminating certain food from their diets and only having those foods on rare occasions.

Exactly.

In other words...they'll have to eat them in moderation.

I don't think Dierdre was being argumentative just for the sake of so being. I think she is genuinely confused and saying, "Enough! This is ridiculous!"

The problem becomes when someone starts ranting about how people shouldn't eliminate anything from their diet, but should eat all foods in moderation and never save anything for special occasions.

As you agreed, some of the foods must be eliminated and enjoyed on special occasions for many of us, because we can't work all those different yummy foods in.

Then, for people with ridiculously slow metabolisms due to having thyroids removed or some other medical issue (I believe many call us "special snowflakes") who must eat an average of 1200/day to lose weight and it gets even harder to "not eliminate anything, but eat the foods you like in moderation."

I'm not saying you say we "shouldn't eliminate anything or save anything for special occasions, but should eat the foods you like in moderation", but it gets said a LOT.

It's just not possible for many of us to not eliminate some foods. If we ate foods we liked without eliminating any, we couldn't eat very much and would certainly not be eating healthy, balanced diets (not that a healthy, balanced diet is required to lose weight.)

I do, mostly because I don't want to believe anyone could be that obtuse about something.
    I really wanted to find a Dawn Summers acute gif but I couldn't, so here's random 16-year-old Giles.
    e7jbk5.gif

I have nothing to contribute except my love of Anthony Stewart Head and this episode in particular. Although, to be fair, the problem was evil chocolate. ;)

• ana3067
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Eating in moderation isn't all that simple, is it? It takes planning and forethought. It takes tweaking and figuring. It takes following limits, just like every other food plan.

Actually it is pretty simple. I log something I feel like eating. If it doesn't fit my macros, I remove it from my log and log something else I feel like eating instead. And hten I will eat the original thing the next day.
  • ana3067
    Options

mmm I haven't made brownies in ages, partially because I've not found a good protein brownie recipe but also because being GF can make baking delicious chewy fudgy desserts a pain :(

We make delicious GF walnut brownies. Walnuts, sugar, chocolate, egg, a little vanilla, salt and leavening. Lots of omega-3. They're good for the kid to eat, but when I eat them, I eat fewer calories overall, so I haven't made them in forever.

no flour?

No flour. The recipe was inspired by those three-ingredient peanut butter cookies (peanut butter, sugar, egg).

Hm, interesting. I did actually make PB cookies like this but with whey powder. Are the walnuts ground, or just pieces? same for chocolate, is it pieces or do you melt it? Might be something to try over Christmas break :)

Ground. I toss the walnuts in the food processor, grind them into itty bits. Add the sugar and let it act as an abrasive to get the nuts finer, until they're starting to turn into nut butter. Toss in the eggs/salt/leavening and whiz it more. The chocolate can either be added with the walnuts or melted and added after the eggs - it seems to come out the same once it's been baked. If you've been successful with whey powder added to the peanut butter cookies - it might work here, and add a little chew.
    Interesting idea! It did work with the cookies, although I think I baked them too long so they weren't as soft as I wanted.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Assume one needs to spend a year losing weight. This person needs to eat 1200/day because they are "a special snowflake." They cannot work all of the hundreds of yummy things into their diet in that year because even once a week makes it hard to "meet their macros and micros." So, they obviously will not be eating all those hundreds of yummy foods and will be eliminating some, at least while they lose weight.

Can you agree that it would be reasonable for them to eliminate some of those foods?

Yes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Yes.
    LOL, I was asking ana. She is one who is constantly announcing that nobody should eliminate anything, but should eat the foods we like in moderation.

I have to re-heat my potatoes and peppers. They're leftover from yesterday, so I guess I risk gaining weight by eating them.

I live on the edge.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Weird, because I actually do this every single day. I want to eat donuts and french fries and pizza and a chocolate bar? Okay, cool. can I fit it all into my day while still eating my protein needs? Probably not. So I'll eat the donut and pizza today, the fries and chocolate bar tomorrow.

Oh, I also want to eat 4 pomegranates? Well that would be well over a meal's worth of calories for very little satiety. So I'll have one a day for the next four days.

And this is all with just considering my deficit intake. I actually could eat these amounts at maintenance.

You aren't eating what you want in moderation. You are restricting what you want and parceling it out to different days so you can meet your numbers.

That's what "in moderation" means.
    ugh, yes. Exactly. Moderation doesn't mean "I want to eat KFC all day, so I will have one serving of each item that I want at every meal." it means "you know, I'm really craving some KFC. What can I eat today that will fit my macros? Oh, I can't have the popcorn chicken and the burger? I guess I'll have the burger tomorrow!"

tumblr_m0flyaqXFI1ro5rmlo1_500.gif

You are always telling everyone not to eliminate things. Daily, you repeat that foods shouldn't be saved for special occasions.

You might see, now, how it would be difficult to not eliminate anything...and how some people might have to save things for special occasions.

Except this is not eliminating anything.

"completely remove or get rid of (something)."

I am not completely removing KFC (although I actually did, because I have been gluten-free for almost 5 years to resolve my painful digestive issues). If I want to eat KFC, then I either make room for it ahead of time or I will eat what I can on that day and then eat more another day. I made baked oatmeal today,and it wasn't great but it was good enough that I wanted to eat it again at dinner. But I didn't have the calories for it so instead I'll be eating more of it tomorrow. Have I eliminated it? No. Do I have to save it for a special occasion? No, unless tomorrow is a special occasion that I'm unaware of.
    Not asking about what you do.

If they want to, sure. Do they need to? No. Because it's highly unlikely that eating like 200 calories of candy and chocolate in a week will prevent them from meeting their macro and micronutrient goals.
  • ana3067
    Options

Yes.
    LOL, I was asking ana. She is one who is constantly announcing that nobody should eliminate anything, but should eat the foods we like in moderation.

I have to re-heat my potatoes and peppers. They're leftover from yesterday, so I guess I risk gaining weight by eating them.

I live on the edge.

Your leftover comment has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Yes.

I live on the edge.

Your leftover comment has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation.

I believe it's a humorous reference to another currently debacle-ing MFP thread.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

No one said it didn't

It was merely a clarification on the discussion that has been going on for several pages now. Some people indeed implied that there weren't limits.

If you'll look back you will see pics from a food journal and some absurdity that ensued about definitions of moderation. My comment is entirely relevant.
  • ana3067
    Options

No one said it didn't

It was merely a clarification on the discussion that has been going on for several pages now. Some people indeed implied that there weren't limits.

If you'll look back you will see pics from a food journal and some absurdity that ensued about definitions of moderation. My comment is entirely relevant.

no one implied there weren't limits, other than the people who don't know what moderation means, I guess.
  • LeenaGee
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Baconslave, why did you get flagged for that comment?? Apparently, your comment is Spam???
    I feel very sorry for the people who volunteer as moderators having to wade through this thread just because someone disliked what you said. By the way, I certainly don't see a problem with your post on any level.
    To those who flag - have the courage to say why.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I am calling BS on "eat what you want, just in moderation, and you'll lose weight."

Here's a daily menu of the foods I want in moderation:

Donut, latte.

2 slices pizza, green salad with Ranch dressing.

KFC chicken breast, side of mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, biscuit.

1/2 cup vanilla ice cream.

All food eaten in moderation. Am I'm supposed to exercise off 1,300 calories each day?

mwlof2jw9mt9.png

This is NOT what I consider moderation.
This discussion has been closed.