Doing all the right things but my weight won't budge.

Options
14567810»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    ashmeg84 wrote: »
    Yes total calories count but studies have shown if you go to bed hungry, your body burns what's on you instead of what's in your stomach.

When you're in a calorie deficit, your body burns what's on you and what's in your stomach alike.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    What Dafuq is going on in here?

Same old dietary misconceptions being spread and apparently backed by research...but then when research is requested, the members tend to disappear.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Same old dietary misconceptions being spread and apparently backed by research...but then when research is requested, the members tend to disappear.

I'm still waiting think I'll eat some ice cream & capt crunch until those studies get posted
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

So just another day in MFP land. Got it
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options

So just another day in MFP land. Got it
    Pretty much lol.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Man, this is getting nasty.

OP probably doesn't just want to lose weight (which includes water, lean mass, and bone density), she probably wants to reduce her body fat %. If OP is worried only about reducing body fat %, then CICO is part of the solution (CICO approaches can lead to loss of lean mass). If OP wants to preserve lean mass, have energy and strength for workouts (and the rest of her life), have balanced horomones, have healthy bones, skin, nerves/brain, cardiovascular system, and organs she needs CICO + healthy eating. 80/20 and IIFYM are both versions of healthy eating. Going pure CICO (twinkie diet) can lose weight, but losing weight does not always equal better health. Only the morbidly obese can afford to lose weight without any regards to the impact of method on their health.

Take your measurements. If they are going down, and your clothes are fitting better, you are not at a plateau. You are getting close to 1200 calories a day. No responsible poster will suggest going under 1200 calories a day. If you feel you need to in order to lose weight, please involve a Dr or nutritionist to help you. It may not be safe to cut your calories anymore, but you can increase your burns by chosing the right exercises. Try interval training/HIIT. It has been shown to be more effective than steady-state cardio in calorie burning. There are a number of internet resources that can give you sample workouts. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred (about $10, or you can do on Youtube), which uses circuts. There are a lot of different workouts online you can try. Changing your routine can help you to burn more calories, as you are more inefficient when learning new exercises. It isn't too expensive to pick up a few handweights and try weightlifting at home. Better yet, get a trainer to set you up on a program at your gym. They can advise you on form to get the most out of the exercise without hurting yourself. Having extra muscle can help you burn a few more calories a day even when you are not working out (literally just a few, but every bit helps). Bumping up your exercise by even 100 calories a day can make a difference in weight loss.

I find that people tend to present the logging info a little too aggressively, but it is an important point. That being said, I've barely weighed any of my food, and I've lost 100 pounds (20 before MFP). I believe the amount of exercise I'm getting really has helped with the weight loss. Good luck!
  • slimbluehen
    slimbluehen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    SQ,
    I remember that some people on weight watchers (admittedly, a while back) would under eat; eventually the leader would get them to add in something, such as a tsp. of oil, and when the undereaters who were stuck did that, they then began losing weight again. So I think it is possible that the body can sense it is in starvation mode after a while and just starts conserving energy.

And btw, at the time I was there, WW relied on calorie counts in developing their program(s) - they just did the figuring behind the scenes for the participants.

Good luck. It is maddening and disheartening to be stuck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

experts. Experts as far as the eye can see.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I heard this was a dog show? Here's my Plott mix at the dog park - herding German Shepherds*

556caa6f46d049de83d1bca2c553c4fc2abe.jpg

* You can't see the Germans in the pic, but who really cares? This is all about my dog.
  • dbmata
    Options
    how many more times are you going to spam post that, newbie?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Man, this is....

dave.... shut up, have a snickers.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Manthisisgettingnasty.docx
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

OP probably doesn't just want to lose weight (which includes water, lean mass, and bone density), she probably wants to reduce her body fat %. If OP is worried only about reducing body fat %, then CICO is part of the solution (CICO approaches can lead to loss of lean mass). If OP wants to preserve lean mass, have energy and strength for workouts (and the rest of her life), have balanced horomones, have healthy bones, skin, nerves/brain, cardiovascular system, and organs she needs CICO + healthy eating. 80/20 and IIFYM are both versions of healthy eating. Going pure CICO (twinkie diet) can lose weight, but losing weight does not always equal better health. Only the morbidly obese can afford to lose weight without any regards to the impact of method on their health.

Take your measurements. If they are going down, and your clothes are fitting better, you are not at a plateau. You are getting close to 1200 calories a day. No responsible poster will suggest going under 1200 calories a day. If you feel you need to in order to lose weight, please involve a Dr or nutritionist to help you. It may not be safe to cut your calories anymore, but you can increase your burns by chosing the right exercises. Try interval training/HIIT. It has been shown to be more effective than steady-state cardio in calorie burning. There are a number of internet resources that can give you sample workouts. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred (about $10, or you can do on Youtube), which uses circuts. There are a lot of different workouts online you can try. Changing your routine can help you to burn more calories, as you are more inefficient when learning new exercises. It isn't too expensive to pick up a few handweights and try weightlifting at home. Better yet, get a trainer to set you up on a program at your gym. They can advise you on form to get the most out of the exercise without hurting yourself. Having extra muscle can help you burn a few more calories a day even when you are not working out (literally just a few, but every bit helps). Bumping up your exercise by even 100 calories a day can make a difference in weight loss.

I find that people tend to present the logging info a little too aggressively, but it is an important point. That being said, I've barely weighed any of my food, and I've lost 100 pounds (20 before MFP). I believe the amount of exercise I'm getting really has helped with the weight loss.

obvious spam bot is obvious spam bot....
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

I find that people tend to present the logging info a little too aggressively, but it is an important point. That being said, I've barely weighed any of my food, and I've lost 100 pounds (20 before MFP). I believe the amount of exercise I'm getting really has helped with the weight loss.

Lots of solid advice here, don't sweat the double post; it happens.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Lots of solid advice here, don't sweat the double post; it happens.

Thank you :) My computer crashed and I double-posted by accident. I've flagged for removal. Gracious patience appreciated.