Christmas/Holiday/Dayyoucelebrate Challenge

JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Because- Thanksgiving had one- Christmas has one too.

Bring it- I'm aiming for 4000 calories. I was woefully short last time. I plan to redeem myself with TWO huge meals- and possible a run between to clear room for dinner.

So- brunch is on with my friend- and she's a big savory person- so I expect lots of food there- and then we are making dinner at home with just BF and myself.

So. Currently- on the menu- for our dinner is loosely (for just 2 people LOL)
Filet mignon roast
turkey breast
cranberry sauce
standard salad + vinaigrette
green beans
sauted/bacon asparagus
candy yams
ooey gooey butter cookies
black berry pie
ice cream
wine

I'm going to eat all the foods.

and feel all the awesomes.

Then drink all wine.
and make the merry...... and by merry I mean love.

Anyway- jump on in- all the food and calories all welcome- the more the merrier! Getting a head start with the planning because I have to go shopping this weekend like every other schmuck in shop rite.

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    In!

Here's what's planned so far, at least 3 days of festivities which tops my 2 days of Thanksgorging...

Christmas Eve Brunch at my sister in laws:
    Egg casserole
    Hashbrowns
    At least 2 lbs of bacon
    Cinnamon Roll Casserole
    White House Rolls (husband is weird - likes these for breakfast)
    Choose your libation: mimosas, bloody marys, baileys and coffee

Go home for a few hours and hopefully nap.

Christmas Eve Dinner at my house:
    Salami and Cheese
    Party Rye Pizzas
    Salad
    Ravioli from the little Italian ravioli maker in our neighborhood
    Bread
    Cannolis and Italian Cookies

Christmas Morning while the kids open presents:
    Monkeybread
    Baileys and Coffee

Christmas Evening at husband's cousins:
    Menu TBD - likely a ham or brisket, sides, lots of appetizers and desserts
    Beer and Wine

Saturday the 27th Christmas with my extended family at my house:
    Appetizers,
    Soup (I think potato) and Sandwiches (my brother will smoke a turkey breast, I'm making Italian Beef)
    Lots of desserts...
    Beer and Wine

• JoRocka
    I need a calorie stab... 3K? 4K? Come on- don't skimp on me!!! :p

I like the Christmas Eve brunch and dinner- that's going to really knock it out of the park. Oh gurl- with the bailey's and coffee!!! WINNER!!!

Herm- perhaps I should have a Christmas eve brunch as well!!! That sounds like a calorific plan!
  • WinoGelato
    JoRocka wrote: »

I like the Christmas Eve brunch and dinner- that's going to really knock it out of the park. Oh gurl- with the bailey's and coffee!!! WINNER!!!

Herm- perhaps I should have a Christmas eve brunch as well!!! That sounds like a calorific plan!

Oh sorry - I so grossly overestimated the calorie damage I would do at Thanksgiving, I was under 2,000 for both events. *sad face* Mine are divided up so much... I'm going to predict 9,000 calories in the three days I have events. That's about 1,000 more than I eat on a normal day.... kind of depends on the booze, if everyone is hitting it hard or not.

We started the Christmas Eve brunch when my MIL was still alive, she used to have everyone over on Christmas morning but it was getting too crazy with trying to do all the Santa stuff at our own house with all the kids, then pack them up and tote them to grandma's, for more presents and brunch, then over to cousin's later in the day. By the time 6pm rolled around all the kids were HOLY FREAKING TERRORS and it wasn't fun for any of us. My sister in law and I put our foot down and said we needed to move that brunch to Christmas Eve so we could enjoy the actual Christmas morning at home with our kids. I'm pretty proud of that accomplishment!

• JoRocka
    Sounds like a nice plan with the split up- and getting to enjoy family at home.

I have just my cats and myself and then the BF this year- so easy peasy.

9,000 for three days is a good start- *nods* and we shall eat all the things!!!
  • WinoGelato

Oh gurl- with the bailey's and coffee!!! WINNER!!!

picTn373f.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here... Bailey's Pudding Shots. They are Ah-May-Zing

http://www.food.com/recipe/pudding-shots-alcoholic-107198

Actually, when I've made them, I usually add a Pepperidge Farm Pirouette cookie to them also. You're welcome.
  • JoRocka
    and I'm very grateful- yes.

nomnomnom o:)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    my Christmas is usually not quite a blow out as Thanksgiving..

but what the hell I am in ..

Mom has an "Italian" themed Christmas planned with lasagna, meatballs, sausage, bread, and pie...so I think I should be able to hit 4000....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    My mom's side of the family is italian, and dinner on xmas eve is a bigger deal than dinner on xmas day. At my mother's house we do the "Feast of 7 Fishes" on the eve. A lot of the menu changes from year to year, but one thing that is constant, and has been in my family as long as I can remember is Baccala (Salt cod tomato sauce) over pasta dressed with anchovies and oil.

Other fun includes smelts, flounder, octopus, squid ink pasta, and for everyone who *kitten* about the above, lobster and crab cakes.

• Yum...these all sound good. Every year we have a traditional American Thanksgiving with ham and turkey but for Christmas we have some good old Asian food. This year, it will be;

Beef Pho
    Chicken Namya...yumm spicy curry noodles.
    Dim Sum of ribs, different kinds of dumplings, rice crepes, etc.
    Pepper Lobster
    Garlic Crab

Can't wait....
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Oh gurl- with the bailey's and coffee!!! WINNER!!!

picTn373f.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here... Bailey's Pudding Shots. They are Ah-May-Zing

http://www.food.com/recipe/pudding-shots-alcoholic-107198

Actually, when I've made them, I usually add a Pepperidge Farm Pirouette cookie to them also. You're welcome.

Not the thread for me..but will be taking this to make for family and friends. Thanks!!

Enjoy your foods!! :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    In as usual, because I like food more than I like people.
  • JoRocka
    randomtai wrote: »
    In as usual, because I like food more than I like people.

I love this so hard right now
    #dustingofftoday'sfamilydramawithanotherpreliftsnack
  • JoRocka
    orchid8384 wrote: »
    Yum...these all sound good. Every year we have a traditional American Thanksgiving with ham and turkey but for Christmas we have some good old Asian food. This year, it will be;

Beef Pho
    Chicken Namya...yumm spicy curry noodles.
    Dim Sum of ribs, different kinds of dumplings, rice crepes, etc.
    Pepper Lobster
    Garlic Crab

Can't wait....

I don't know what half that is- and it sounds really good!!! DELICIOUS - plus garlic- and spices.

NOMNOMNOM

WIN!!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Oh sorry - I so grossly overestimated the calorie damage I would do at Thanksgiving, I was under 2,000 for both events. *sad face* Mine are divided up so much... I'm going to predict 9,000 calories in the three days I have events. That's about 1,000 more than I eat on a normal day.... kind of depends on the booze, if everyone is hitting it hard or not.

We started the Christmas Eve brunch when my MIL was still alive, she used to have everyone over on Christmas morning but it was getting too crazy with trying to do all the Santa stuff at our own house with all the kids, then pack them up and tote them to grandma's, for more presents and brunch, then over to cousin's later in the day. By the time 6pm rolled around all the kids were HOLY FREAKING TERRORS and it wasn't fun for any of us. My sister in law and I put our foot down and said we needed to move that brunch to Christmas Eve so we could enjoy the actual Christmas morning at home with our kids. I'm pretty proud of that accomplishment!

This is a frequent occurrence here (and I assume elsewhere). People assume their blow-out days are far worse than they are. Of course, as long as you don't overreact to them, not a problem at all...but so many people assume that they "blew it" on a particular day, assume they must have eaten 10000 calories so they have failed and "what's the point of even trying" when the reality is that they may have eaten only 4000 calories, which is maybe 2000 over their target, so at worst it was about a half pound of actual gain.

I know this isn't where you went with your post, but your post reminded me of this soapbox issue of mine, so I thought I'd use it as an excuse to rant.

/soapbox

As for me, I'm hoping for a 5-7k calorie Christmas day (because ~1500 of annual tradition monkey bread), but will probably fall short.
  • JoRocka
    That's actually a great point-thanks for bringing it up...

also funny b/c I grossly over estimated my damage for T-Day as well- I think I barely tipped 3K for the day :(

I went over yesterday- and assumed it was really bad- but I walked into said party with 900 calories to spare- and went over by 400 (logged) I assume it's closer to 500... so I barely tipped past maintenance calories.

Whatever- I'm planning and cooking on my own- so I'm prepared to put a real hurting on it next Thursday!!!!
  • WinoGelato
    Both of the points above, as well as just my own obsessive compulsive need to see numbers, are the reason why I still log on blowout days. I personally like seeing how things add up, and even knowing I'm going to go over, I usually do find that things aren't as bad as I thought.

As Jof pointed out, I'm not one to freak out over the numbers, heck, I think those of us posting here are trying to go big or go home, but for the newer people or those who have more of the "F-it, what's the point mentality", I think logging it to see that things aren't as dire as you assumed would be good.

This entire week I thought was going to be a really bad one because of all the "events" happening. I've been logging daily, and as of this morning, I was within 100 cals of my goal for the week so far. I've indulged, but I haven't gone balls out. Yet...
  • WinoGelato
    sullus wrote: »
    My mom's side of the family is italian, and dinner on xmas eve is a bigger deal than dinner on xmas day. At my mother's house we do the "Feast of 7 Fishes" on the eve. A lot of the menu changes from year to year, but one thing that is constant, and has been in my family as long as I can remember is Baccala (Salt cod tomato sauce) over pasta dressed with anchovies and oil.

Other fun includes smelts, flounder, octopus, squid ink pasta, and for everyone who *kitten* about the above, lobster and crab cakes.

Do you guys do a salt roasted fish? I've seen that on a couple of cooking shows and have always wanted to try it - it looks so freaking cool when they chip away that big salt crust to expose the steamed fish inside.

We are Italian but not adventurous enough to do the 7 fishes... we stick with ravioli, antipasti, and cannoli.

Buon Natale!

• JoRocka
    edited December 2014
    it's early on Friday- there is time yet for you ;)

And yes- logging numbers for nerd purposes to see and watch- is one of the reasons I"m unquestionably still here. it's such a great tool.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm going to be working the sausage. Lots of sausage.

Then some beer.

More sausage.
  • JoRocka
    I'm sure you are....

giggity.