Christmas/Holiday/Dayyoucelebrate Challenge

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    Our family of 6 will celebrate christmas solo. Planning an egg bake (crustless quichey thing) and cinnamon rolls and coffee for breakfast, then sausage/cheese/crackers and veggies/dip set out for the afternoon, though I may possibly also make chili cheese dip with tortilla chips. Dinner at 3 or 4 will include a real ham (bone in, fat on, boom!), garlic mashed potatoes, buttered carrot/turnip mash, rolls, some other sides I haven't come up with yet, but probably bacon-parm brussel sprouts and something green bean-ish. Dessert... leftover Christmas cookies (probably only chocolate chip, the husband and kids are baking those Christmas Eve while I work 12-8pm) and cheesecake!
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This year will be our first Christmas with our baby boy (he will be just about 2 and 1/2 weeks old) so we are planning to really celebrate! Christmas Eve we will be making cinnamon rolls for breakfast and lunch and dinner are still TBD. Christmas Day we are going to my parents' for dinner where there will be lots of wine, cookies, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and salad with cheesecake and pumpkin pie for dessert. Then on Boxing Day we are going to my husband's sister's house where there will be, again, lots of wine, and a bacon-wrapped turkey, scalloped potatoes, meatballs and salad and dessert of course! Mama is planning to EAT!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'll probably just have a little salad. *nods*

I would drive to you and smack the begusus out of you.

Thankfully I know you know better.
  • ourbabyblog
    ourbabyblog Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm eating as much as I can Christmas Day and Boxing Day! Here goes..I think it's obvious I'm British haha x

Turkey topped with crispy bacon
    Honey glazed parsnips and carrots
    Sprouts with bacon
    Pigs in blankets
    Peas
    Roast potatoes
    Apple crumble and custard
    Many tins of shortbread biscuits
    Cheesy topped bread
    Boxes of chocolate
    Ice cream
    Bubble and squeak (leftover veg)
    Gingerbread men
    Bars of chocolate
    Hot chocolate
    Cocktail sausages
    Scotch eggs
    Lots of dips
    Pringles
    And probably a shed load more!!

• JoRocka
    Options
    oh all of that sounds exceptionally delicious!!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I thought last week was going to be a blowout week calorie wise - I had multiple work functions (dinners and lunches), a book club dinner, and a date night. I ended up the week only over by about 250 cals, and that's only because I was under my weekly goal going into Sunday night so I decided to make up for things by having craft beers AND wine AND cookies.

I don't want to sound like one of those, "I can't eat more than 1200 cals" people (because clearly I can and I do), but I do think that after watching cals for this long, both my mind and body are programmed now not to go completely nuts... I sort of automatically make choices when looking at a restaurant menu or buffet table (more protein, less starches), evaluate the dessert options to pick something that is going to be really good, and I can't drink as much as I used to either without being miserable the next day.

It's just interesting that now even when trying to really indulge, either subconsciously or by accident it seems like I have some internal controls.... Lifestyle change for the win!

PS - still going to try to get to 15,000 for this holiday week... I'm up for the challenge!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I thought last week was going to be a blowout week calorie wise - I had multiple work functions (dinners and lunches), a book club dinner, and a date night. I ended up the week only over by about 250 cals, and that's only because I was under my weekly goal going into Sunday night so I decided to make up for things by having craft beers AND wine AND cookies.

I don't want to sound like one of those, "I can't eat more than 1200 cals" people (because clearly I can and I do), but I do think that after watching cals for this long, both my mind and body are programmed now not to go completely nuts... I sort of automatically make choices when looking at a restaurant menu or buffet table (more protein, less starches), evaluate the dessert options to pick something that is going to be really good, and I can't drink as much as I used to either without being miserable the next day.

It's just interesting that now even when trying to really indulge, either subconsciously or by accident it seems like I have some internal controls.... Lifestyle change for the win!

PS - still going to try to get to 15,000 for this holiday week... I'm up for the challenge!

I've noticed the same thing. I just can't (or automatically don't) eat as much as I used to do.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I will totally blow it out Xmas eve. I will start around 1pm picking at snacks & cookies. Cheese, pepperoni, crackers, shrimp & lots of cookies. Dinner of not completely sure but ham, turkey, broccoli and cheese, lasagna, and more cookies. all washed down with a few seasonal craft beers. I'm thinking 5k easy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Is the challenge to try and match/beat your 4000 calories or to try and guess how many calories I will consume?

Christmas dinner is going to be low-carb this year so I doubt it will come close to 4000 even with wine and a large breakfast of ham, eggs and cheesy potatoes.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    it can be whatever you want- My personal goal is 4K.

some have other goals- I know I was woefully short for thanksgiving- so I"m making an effort to do better for Christmas- but you should at least guess a number you're trying to hit for the holiday party.

Although I don't think any of us are going to be our 8 days of Jewish partying friend up there... that's a winner right there.

I like Kruggi's week goal to- that's kind of awesome- rather than limiting herself to just one day- she's going for a big week-long goal of awesome.

Either way- whatever you want- but this is the challenge for people trying to eat more- not challenge to stay under.

There is no "under" here LOL
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    OIC Well, I'm not really trying to stay under this week, but I'm not purposely trying to go over either, so I guess I'm out. Good luck on hitting your goal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    it can be whatever you want- My personal goal is 4K.

some have other goals- I know I was woefully short for thanksgiving- so I"m making an effort to do better for Christmas- but you should at least guess a number you're trying to hit for the holiday party.

Although I don't think any of us are going to be our 8 days of Jewish partying friend up there... that's a winner right there.

I like Kruggi's week goal to- that's kind of awesome- rather than limiting herself to just one day- she's going for a big week-long goal of awesome.

Either way- whatever you want- but this is the challenge for people trying to eat more- not challenge to stay under.

There is no "under" here LOL

I think to elaborate on what Jo said, which was already spot on, for me the challenge is to enjoy the week and not stress about trying to stay under a goal. Many of us spend the better part of a year trying to be at or under a calorie goal. This is a week to take a break, to enjoy the time with friends and family which invariably involves lots of food. For me personally, I like still tracking my calories on blow out days/weeks, because again, it's sort of interesting how I still seem to self regulate, and because then I can tell myself (and anyone else who wants to listen) that I ate all the foods and it didn't derail my progress.

The weekly goal is good for me because I always have days which are higher than normal, and because our Christmas celebrations are spread out among several days...

• moremuffins
    moremuffins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was soooo disappointed about not being able to do the thanksgiving challenge, since you weirdo Americans celebrate it in the wrong month :wink: Therefore I am so in for Christmas. Christmas Eve dinner I'm looking for 3K minimum. I will probably eat half of that in chocolate cheesecake. Christmas day is a lunch and a dinner so my goal will be 5K. I think I should be able to hit that once I factor in the booze :smiley:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have arrived at the location of my holiday retreat.

There is a lot of german food and baked goods. On top of that, a brewery that produces a porter that tastes like an unsweetened german chocolate cake.

The run up to christmas shall be deliciously glorious. gluhwein, rottkraut, bratwurst, knockwurst, schweinhaxe, jagerschnitzel, sauerbraten.

It's seriously the wurst.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I want to hate you. But I kind of can't because it brings a tear to my eye..

You make me proud son.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    In as usual, because I like food more than I like people.

BAM! There! BTW where is all the chocolate?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, there will be a metric crapton of Monkeybread consumed on Christmas Morning. No effs will be given.

And to finish the day off, there will be an ice cream cake involved... because we have a family member named Mary who was born on Christmas day, and what Mary wants, Mary gets. And Mary is quite happy with ice cream cake. And so am I. :smiley: