2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• Hient48
    Hient48 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I need a mentor. I'm new to this app and exercising world. I go to the gym 4 days a week and I also do my daily walks at night. I'm trying to loose weight and get my body back after having 5 kids. If anyone want to mentor me please send me a message thank you.
  • Jazzyguru
    Jazzyguru Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is jasmine I just downloaded MFP today so I know very little about the app. I am wondering if anyone would be able to give me some tips, I'm 19, and want to loose 70 lb. My main problem is choosing healthier option to eat. I'm hoping that this app will really show me how bad I'm eating!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm offering myself as a mentor to 2 or 3 people. I started out weighing in at around 250 and I'm down to around 190 but planning on shedding another 15 lb after maintaining for the last 3 months while I prepared for a triathlon. My journey has been bumpy but this has allowed me to learn a lot about myself along the way. I think the biggest single issue I needed to overcome was the simple fact that to get into shape I needed to change me rather than drop a few calories for a couple of months. I started out here with no clue about health apart from knowing that everything I had ever tried had failed. After getting to know people here I started to learn about my body and what I need to do. I looked at those successful and decided I needed to emulate successful people and after looking around I decided that Triathlon would be good. I trained hard but sensibly and have just completed my first triathlon, a pretty tough one called Slateman in North Wales around the mountains. From where I have come from I think it is amazing that I have changed so much thanks to the help of others. I know some people may be interested in Triathlon which is great but I will encourage and help any positive change in any direction - the direction isn't important - but I believe the change is essential and anyone can do this if they want to.

I personally believe anyone and everyone can do this. I think we are all different and will come up against our own issues along the way. Some will be common and some will be personal. The big thing I found is that I learned from others and even if their situation was a little different to mine I could learn from them. I am totally non-judgemental and believe we all have the ability to problem solve and think for ourselves. I will offer advice based on my own experience as well as moral support and space to talk about stuff I may not have gone through myself in order to keep you going until you work out the best course of action.
    My personal issues that I have to look after is that I am asthmatic and I am sugar sensitive/hypoglycaemic. If I start eating sugar I find it difficult to stop  If you are like this then I would gladly help you all I can with what I know and my own coping strategies.
    My future plans are to get my %body fat down to around 10% and to run another tough Triathlon on September called Snowman. Long term goals are to eventually go for an Ironman somewhere and compete competitively at triathlon with my local club. I’m guessing the latter two will be 2 or 3 years time.

If you want to come along for the ride, feel free. I'm friendly and supportive and will do what I can to keep you motivated and help you though the bumps

PS I'm 47, happily married with 3 kids. I work as a professional engineer and live in a lovely part of the UK called Cannock Chase . I'm happy to take men or ladies who feel I could help them

If you are interested please friend me with a note saying you are from this forum :-)
  • michele2020
    michele2020 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello: my name is michele, I am 48 and now weigh 209 . I have lost 26 pounds in the last 10 weeks . I am interested in getting as healthy as possible . I would like to be able to quit taking blood pressure medication, and medication to sleep at night . I find your story interesting because I just started running/walking and look foward to being able to run as far as you do. Take care, thank you for time and remember to do something nice for yourself today . Michele.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello! I am willing to mentor a couple newbies if possible. I've been on here for a while just haven't gotten involved with the community til now!

A little about me...
    I'm 31 and live a very active lifestyle. I'm busy doing something six days a week. Three days I'm in the gym weight and strength training. The other three I'm running short distances with my long run on Saturday. In less than one year I went from .10 mile to completing two half marathons! I'm starting early and training for my first full marathon in December. In the past I've also done boxing, yoga, and a little Zumba! (I'm not that great at it but it's fun!)

About 5 years ago I was at my heaviest at almost 300 pounds. Since then I've lost about 80 pounds and still have more to lose. That's okay because I am focused and dedicated to making myself a better person for me! I would be thrilled to share my workouts to help those they want to shed some pounds, as well as some eating tips that I'm working on now to loose those pesky inches. I love seeing people succeed at any they out their mind to!
  • Skyewall
    Skyewall Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Looking for a mentor who has "Been There, Done That!". Through my work wellness program I am starting with a coach, and expect she'll be great...but from her bio she clearly isn't coming from same life experience which I think is essential to making a deeper 'mental' connection with. Do not want to give myself the excuse of "well that sounds good in theory, but..."

I'm a few days from my 52nd birthday, weighing in at 273. June 1, 2015 was the first day of the rest of my life!

I had a full right knee replacement last year (Jul 2014) and have struggled since starting/keeping efforts going to be healthier and improve mobility. I've yo-yo'd dropping anywhere from 11-20 lbs, but gain it back. The best I've done is not going over 275 (started at 280 last year).

Professional M-F worker with 1.5 hr commute daily. Find best time of day for exercise is the morning. Adjusted my schedule to work out from 5:30-6:00 a.m. and working 7:30 to 4:30. Married >32 years with 2 grown sons out on their own. In addition to using MFP for tracking effort I am looking at the VFX Body program; purchased but just starting to read information. Starting initially by keeping calorie count, carbs, fat and sodium on the lower side (modified Atkins?) which has helped in the past.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am willing to mentor. I have been on MFP for over four years. I have worked out all my life. I have studied weight loss and hormones for a long time and have already mentored several people on my own over the last few years. I love to help people and I love to see people be successful. I have struggled my whole life with eating too many pop tarts and donuts and I have spent much of my life carrying too much fat.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hello

I would be happy to mentor a newbie.

My name is Carol and I am 67 years old, I am an administrator for the NHS although at the moment I am between jobs. I have logged onto MFP every day for the last 20 months and have lost 42lbs, I am a slow loser so have now learnt to live with the fact that it's not going to happen overnight. I have also increased my activity and use a fit bit to track my steps taken each day and this has increased three fold.

If you need a mentor please drop me a line and tell me about yourself

Good luck. carol
  • mahroukhh
    mahroukhh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello, I would like a mentor. I have previously lost about 22 pounds more than two years ago. After that, everything has kind of just gone downhill. I went into depression, started gaining weight.. I didn't gain back as much, but I had never lost enough to begin with. My goal right now is to lose 24 pounds. I find it hard to stay motivated so I joined MFP hoping to change that. Is there anybody who is willing to mentor me?
  • bethnheidi
    bethnheidi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new on here and I'm looking for a mentor. I started my diet and fitness 7 days ago and I want to lose 4 stone. I have Crohns Disease so a healthy diet should be crucial but I have been complacent in the past but not anymore. I am determined to lose this weight and become healthier. Any advice would be most appreciated...thank you ☺
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob. 32, 5'4" 170-ish lbs. and around 31% body fat. Looking to lose fat and gain strength/muscle. I've been working out 5 days a week at my gym for a month now. I just started weighing all of my food with a food scale and counting calories.

I have done some reading and I like the TDEE method, so that's why I don't log my workouts. -20% of my TDEE is around 1800 calories.

Anybody want to volunteer to help me out??
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hello I can Mentor up to 4 new noobs.
    I am still on my journey, but I am all about clean and healthy eating, real exceptions, exercise and work out routines that fit you. It's about a life style change not a diet.
    About me: I am 43 yrs old still have 115 lbs to lose, have already lost 37 lbs in about 3 months. I love food and love to cook, I am always sharing healthy recipes and hints and tips. I am a mother of 5, 3 of my own and 2 step children. We are on a tight budget so we all pretty much eat the same things. I do not judge, we are all on a journey and this road isn't easy. I wish you all much success with your journey.
  • ronbegbie
    ronbegbie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie here and looking for a mentor. I have around 100lbs to lose. I have previously lost 150 pounds but gained 100 again. I need someone to help me with advice on nutrition and exercise and help keep me motivated. I really want to change my habits and routine once and for all and live a healthy lifestyle
  • Stayhuman853
    Stayhuman853 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    24 y o female. HW 139, CW 130, GW 122. I've been doing pretty well by myself but would love a mentor/someone to talk to.

Is anyone a RUNNER? I would love help with that as I am training for my first 5k and would love any and all advice. Add me!
  • loxoli
    loxoli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking for a mentor who has experience losing weight while breastfeeding. I don't have heaps to lose but I'm having a hard time working out how to reduce calories and maintain my milk supply. For exercise, I do interval running, yoga and a bit of Crossfit. Please PM if you think you can help!
  • jasondinger
    jasondinger Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I could use a mentor. As usual, I jumped in to this without knowing what I was doing, but have managed to somehow drop 20(ish) pounds so far.
    I have a great sense of humor and I love people. I am very easy going, but can be a real smart a** sometimes. I am very motivated and very driven. I don't do anything halfway.
    I am 40yrs old, and have three kiddos. I work two jobs and go to school, so my time is at a real premium. I have been working out five days per week for about an hour per day (running and lifting and planking mostly) and its work for me so far, but I think my diet is probably too strict, because I am hungry all the time.
  • stef156
    stef156 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a mentor or even just friends on here. I'm looking to lose about 45 lbs but have multiple autoimmune conditions that are impeding weight loss (hypothroidism, RA, etc.) as well as a bunch of dietary restrictions due to allergies, so any help/encouragement/advise is always welcome!
  • dandytea88
    dandytea88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm looking for a mentor to help as well. I'm 27 years old and I'm a stay at home wife to a husband with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and mom to a beautiful little girl with moderate Autism so days are often tiresome and stressful. I'm an introvert by nature but I'm not looking for a drill Sargent :) I weigh 213 and am hoping to one day getting down to 175 and then further down to 150!
  • slikorify
    slikorify Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mentor
    Info
    • 21 Years old
    • Male
    • From the UK
    • Started at 323lbs (first time I weighed myself, probably a bit more before that since I'd been trying to eat less before)
    • Now at 188lbs = 135lbs lost
    • Not at goal yet

What I can offer
    Hey! Willing to help anyone that feels like they need help or support from somebody like me. Been at this for over a year and a half and faced a lot of problems through the time, so hopefully I can help people trying to overcome similar problems. Obviously I'd probably be more help to people similar to me, but am willing to try to help anyone. I'm online pretty much every day, so easy to contact me. I go to the gym most days, although I didn't do that for most of my weight loss, took me a long time to get the confidence to actually go. Most of what I ate for the majority of my weight loss was simple and easy to make food. Used to really hate having to prepare anything so I just found out the easiest ways to get my body what it needs, so if you're like that then I can probably help you with some ideas. Now I'm starting to learn to cook a bit more, but still nothing too complex haha. Through my whole weightloss I've also been a student at university, so have been drinking at least once a week and not had too much money to spend on fitness, so have also found different ways to work around those problems

Thanks for reading, feel free to message me if you would like me as a mentor, will reply to it as soon as I can! :)

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'm volunteering to be a mentor for one newbie!

I recently graduated for the second time, and I understand the weight gain that can come with college. I've been on MFP for 4 years now, and only started taking it seriously in March of 2014. I started my current 450+ day stint at 150lbs, and currently am around 123lbs. My original goal was 115 (my high school weight), but my final goal is most likely going to be close to the 120s. Since I'm near the end of my journey, I'm gauging my "stop" point by how I feel, rather than focusing on a number. I will eventually transition to a lifting program to get some muscle!

I started MFP in 2011 on 2lb/week, 1,200/day, and using inflated calorie burns through the website and gym machines. I've learned now in 2015 that 2lb/week is not appropriate for everyone's weight loss goals, that online estimates/machines can only guess, and I like eating. I've been doing around .5lb/week since I started in March 2014, and I've created a sustainable lifestyle for myself that has allowed me to keep the weight I lost off.

Like OwlHouse, I follow CICO, moderation, and believe nothing should be blacklisted unless you have a medical reason to do so. I log my food (even the days I go over), and am pretty active here on the forums, and with my friend's list. I'm looking to mentor someone who is open to constructive feedback, and is willing to learn sustainable changes for themselves through healthy calorie nets, asking questions, and being active on this site. I would like to mentor someone with an open diary; not to judge your foods, but to steal meal ideas, and to make sure you're staying on track with your goals, and to point out anything that might hinder your progress (eg: not weighing food).

Please send me a message with your fitness goals and why you're looking for a mentor. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.