3laine75 wrote: »
    I give in guys, steak for dinner :)

well done.

Er, no.
    Good job!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    we are doing skirt steak on Thursday I think. BF works NYE in the city- so all be partying by myself with chicken soup.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Just sent all my company off for a few hours - so I can :) put a nice big beef rib eye roast in the oven for dinner. I have a cast iron Dutch oven from my grandmother that just makes a roast taste the best. I will post pictures when it's done. Lately been cooking lots of Buffalo, roasts, steaks etc. from a local meat market it has been really good, so I am a bit spoiled, hope this beef one turns out.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Gonna definitely have some rib-eye for dinner tonight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    7cb8fc675693e0149c5bd4a77665decb_b.jpg

That's the fat side, 19# of boneless ribeye.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    7cb8fc675693e0149c5bd4a77665decb_b.jpg

That's the fat side, 19# of boneless ribeye.

Sooooooooo- Imma break down and confess something.....
    - every time this thread comes up... this is what I hear in my head....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydrtF45-y-g

and this post just confirmed it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol.

I'm working on a menu right now, thinking of doing a standing rib roast, but hitting it with a propane torch before roasting at 275. Then from there, once it's 132 internal, pull it, rest it. While resting it, make up a sauce of unknown description. Currently thinking a horseradish hollandaise.

Maybe serving it up with a potato pave.
  • JoKnowsJo
    Options
    I just posted this on the recipe thread. I let it sit for about 3 hours bringing it to room temp before placing it in the oven which I had not done before - best I have had in a long time. This and a salad -
    - 3r9clul1f54k.jpg
  • JoKnowsJo
    Options
    Oh ... and yes I would agree this was better oh yeah :D
  • dbmata
    Options
    Looks very good. Love the browning.

vvj8w4kv2y1d.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I bought steaks last week that were pre packaged and on sale at the store. I had to laugh at the size differential... I asked the butcher and he said it was his and hers steaks. I went ahead and ate them both....
    irpyjvy5v4tu.jpg
  • dbmata
    Options
    Appetizer and meal sized.

BTW, my first sous vide experiment tonight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1rIkU1jJ8

I'm going to pick up some short ribs tomorrow to cook them for 48 hours, head to ace and get a propane torch to sear it up. Or I'll say eff it and just get a delmonico.
  • westonw72
    Options
    Ribeye is the way to go, cost isn't bad and always turns out good.
    Has to be grilled, and cooked medium rare.. I like a lot of red in the middle.
    Steak has to be, like, the most satisfying food possible. It's always the *kitten*.
  • dbmata
    Options
    medium rare makes me cry.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    x615k1x9i31o.jpg
    I made this the other night because this thread made me seriously crave steak!

T-bone with cheddar bourbon sauce, garlic shrimps, roasted portobello and asparagus, baked potato:)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Went to outback last night- something different for us- should have just gone to all you can eat- costs the same and it's better food.
    - But
    - regardless- outback is closer and turns out an edible steak.

So I did something novel and I said I want it blue. and he goes- oh really- but knew what I meant (WINNING)

then I said you know what- I want it black and blue- okay he says- "little char and still moo-ing."

Got it.

- I got teh 12 oz sirloin- interesting- usually they come as a flat steak- unquestionably this one was a high thick- smaller cut- like 3-4" tall- and only 2-3 diameter- had never seen a steak out somewhere like outback come like that- figured it was because of the black/blue request.

I was suprised- it wasn't bad- flavor was lacking (I mean it is only a sirloin) but it tasted good- I just sopped some of my steak on BF's blackened seasoning and it was great. I'll order it next time blue with the blackened season if they can- was a good route for 20$ steak.

I'd also say it was still over cooked, least for a true 'blue' but it was good- I was happy.

Had a hot toddy with cheap whiskey and seared asparagus- for a sicky- I was quiet content- no cooking- no over done steak- and some whiskey. what more could I ask for???

well- I got the 'more' later after I got home- so good night all in all. real good night. :D
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Appetizer and meal sized.

BTW, my first sous vide experiment tonight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1rIkU1jJ8

I'm going to pick up some short ribs tomorrow to cook them for 48 hours, head to ace and get a propane torch to sear it up. Or I'll say eff it and just get a delmonico.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-egg-calculator

For poached eggs I'll do 60C for 30 min, crack them into a ramekin and toss them in boiling water for about 10sec to firm up the whites. Also can throw them in an ice bath and keep them on hand whenever you need soft boiled or poached eggs
  • JoKnowsJo
    Options
    x615k1x9i31o.jpg
    I made this the other night because this thread made me seriously crave steak!

T-bone with cheddar bourbon sauce, garlic shrimps, roasted portobello and asparagus, baked potato:)

Ohhhh.... does that look wonderful... nice :)

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ribeye!