How did you all fair over the festive period?

Options

Replies

• madamepsych0sis
    madamepsych0sis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did really well this year, actually lost a couple of pounds. I wasn't able to exercise as much, but I watched my portions.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 2 pounds over the holidays. I was logging every day, and the days I went to a buffet dinner I ate very lightly until dinnertime, then figured I would eat about 1200 calories for dinner. I was still under my calorie limit for that day though. I was also doing cardio kickboxing nearly every day so I'm sure that had a lot to do with keeping the weight off.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Last year, I reflected on my eating and noticed how I could not control my intake when it came to cookies, pies, all the treats. This year, that was my focus - not to allow myself more than 2 treats on xmas eve (after the dinner).

Then there were the treats at work, at home, and everywhere we went visiting. I ultimately lost 4lbs during December - which is awesome because now I am so motivated for January.

I drank A TON of water, controlled the food intake as much as possible, and continued to exercise.
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Didn't do much different until Christmas week, then sort of gave myself a free pass to eat whatever for 4 or 5 days. Ended up losing 8 pounds between Dec 7 and this morning so I'm happy. :) Or I would be if I didn't have this lovely respiratory infection now.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I ate wayyyyy over my carbs but stayed at maintenance (or what TDEE says is my maintenance) but gained 11 lbs, but then re- lost most of that already by going back to my carb level and drinking my water again,, so almost back to pre- holiday weight and back on track.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Not great. I gained back about 4 pounds. In all honesty, it bothers me more than I would like it to. I felt so good about the resent loss and then boom. I gained it back.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did not :( - but inspired by those who stuck to it, I've done well over past holiday seasons but for some reason, not this one.

With an average of 3-4 cookies per day since the start of December, plus a lot of wine, almost every night, Christmas in New Orleans then New Years Eve, all the "its only a little bit" really added up. Due to poor eating and a lot to do, my workouts were also inconsistent. I didn't feel great about myself, but did not crumble completely because the holiday season has come to an end and I know I have the discipline to bounce back.

After just 5 days of clean eating an no alcohol, I already have eliminated the bloating and am on the road to loosing the 5lbs(?) of fat gained over December. I say fat b/c scale wise it was 10lbs a few days ago but with a little extra help with a cleansing regiment*, I could safely say 1/2 of that was water retention. There was extra 'stuff' in my system making my body hold onto water like a camel in the Sahara. *do your homework and check w/ a doctor before taking up any kind of OTC 'cleansing' regiment.

I bought a dress while in NOLA that was a bit snug b/c of the binging all month. Pretty confident that it will fit better for a wedding this coming Saturday. Will be trying it on this week to see how it goes. Clothes typically, not so much the scale, have been my measuring tool.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I certainly gained a significant amount of weight over the holiday season. I would say I started slacking off in October and went through Christmas, and I saw it on the scale this morning. I logged this weight and am considering it my new starting point for 2015.
  • tmg446
    tmg446 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I maintained throughout the holidays and logged whatever I ate :)
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I did quite well. Haven't been the gym in 3 months (until Saturday) and ate excessively over the Christmas period and only gained 5 pounds (3 of which was water because they've gone now)
    I feel very lucky considering I have been binging for 3 weeks straight (almost!) Not logging, not exercising.... back on it now though :-)
  • mkroberger
    mkroberger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I gained about 5 pds...? But now I have nearly 25 pds to lose! Most of that happened while in Las Vegas for a few days vacation during NYE. I got engaged and really need to focus on losing the 25 pds gained in the last two years before the wedding!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Lazz5k wrote: »
    I Step on the scale tomorrow, and I'm going to be honest.... I'm not feeling good about it. I'm really scared but that's why I'm here. Cause I know whether good or bad, you guys will support me and you'll keep encouraging me andddd reminding me that its the HOLIDAYS and now u just get back on traccckkk and keep working toward my goal!

Thats the attitude. ..hope the scales aren't too sore on you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I gained a couple of pounds, but I'm philosophical about it. The pounds will come off quickly now I'm back to my usual routine. This was my first Holidays since losing the weight by end Sept, so it was really one for learning what does and what doesn't work for me.

Not logging over Thanksgiving worked (1-2 days), not logging/staying within calories over Christmas/New Year didn't work (2 weeks). Making homemade goodies was fine, but smaller batch sizes next time. Bought-in goodies generally was OK with one or two exceptions, but again, just buy smaller quantities next time. Instead of having candy laying around, I made up candy bags for everyone on Christmas Day, with everything shared out, so everyone can eat their candy when they want (DH scarfed most of it within a week, DD and I have hardly started ours and will space it out). Exercise was just fine, but then I've always done that over the Holidays or vacation.
    I love your idea about making up candy bags to share out!
    The way I work the candy is that it's out of sight until my evening cuppa, then I share out 3 sweets for me and hubby each and that's our daily quota. They will keep to Easter lol
    It's all a learning curve the maintaining during special times, it took me a while too, a few blips in the first year but since then even with holidays I've not gained anything worth talking about.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    mkroberger wrote: »
    I gained about 5 pds...? But now I have nearly 25 pds to lose! Most of that happened while in Las Vegas for a few days vacation during NYE. I got engaged and really need to focus on losing the 25 pds gained in the last two years before the wedding!

Congratulations :smile: and you've reason to get back on track for sure....wishing you every success!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I certainly gained a significant amount of weight over the holiday season. I would say I started slacking off in October and went through Christmas, and I saw it on the scale this morning. I logged this weight and am considering it my new starting point for 2015.

Good attitude :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Last year, I reflected on my eating and noticed how I could not control my intake when it came to cookies, pies, all the treats. This year, that was my focus - not to allow myself more than 2 treats on xmas eve (after the dinner).

Then there were the treats at work, at home, and everywhere we went visiting. I ultimately lost 4lbs during December - which is awesome because now I am so motivated for January.

I drank A TON of water, controlled the food intake as much as possible, and continued to exercise.

Excellent :smile:
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I am happy to report an overall loss of 2 lbs - from before Christmas to New Years Day.
    I made sure to exercise every day, and only had a couple of bad eating days during the holidays, then right back on the MFP wagon.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I don't log calories, but I assume I ate approximately a billion fabulous calories over TDEE. :smiley: I gained a couple of kilograms, but they all seem to have gone to my boobs, so I'm not complaining. I'm not actually that bothered about losing them, to be honest. I'm right back on track with no problems, but I'm happier with my body right now, so we'll just see what happens.