i'm eating more but still losing weight

Options

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    WWbuffydo wrote: »
    I really don't now how much more I can up my calorie intake, because I already feel overfull most days with the amount I'm currently eating (and yes I am eating healthy food..well, mostly). Any advice is appreciated, even if it's just to tell me that I'm a complete idiot who's going about it all wrong.

My first thought is to go in for a checkup, since you are over eating, not exercising, and still losing weight.

Beyond that, I find chips and nacho cheese converts 80% to tenacious fat.
    I make my own by melting Velveeta Cheese(?) with salsa.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    WWbuffydo wrote: »
    I've been trying to gain weight because I'm slightly under what I should be. I lost a bit of weight the past month or two through under eating due to stress and general business (I wasn't counting calories regularly, so I'm not sure exactly how much I was consuming). I upped my calories to 1,700 two and a half weeks ago, which is over maintenance for me according to all sources because I'm a short *kitten*, but I still kept exercising a little bit. I weighed myself Saturday and my weight had actually gone down by .2 of a kg, so I upped my calories again to around 2,000 a day and on top of that I also haven't been able to exercise at all since Monday. I then weighed myself this morning only to discover I had lost another entire kg! This now puts my bmi at 17.7..I don't like being this weight at all, I think I look way too boney and I really want to gain at least 5kg. I just don't understand what's going on though, because I've never been the kind of person who can eat whatever they want and not worry about gaining weight. What am I doing wrong? Why can't I seem to get this gaining weight thing down? I really don't now how much more I can up my calorie intake, because I already feel overfull most days with the amount I'm currently eating (and yes I am eating healthy food..well, mostly). Any advice is appreciated, even if it's just to tell me that I'm a complete idiot who's going about it all wrong.

Can you please set your food diary to public/open?

Thanks.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If all else fails, go see your doc. Could be a thyroid issue (surprised no one else has said this).

Because we're not quick to always blame metabolic disorders in this section of the forum like in other places.
    And because she said that she only upped her calories two and a half weeks ago, ffs!

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Soda is linked to prostate, processed meats to heart disease, diet soda to obesity and a whole slew of problems, look it up. I've been eating pretty clean for the last year and I have seen better results with cutting my gym time in half. Watch all the health nuts on YouTube and body builders. They all Eat and the same thing

No x3
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If all else fails, go see your doc. Could be a thyroid issue (surprised no one else has said this).

Because we're not quick to always blame metabolic disorders in this section of the forum like in other places.
    And because she said that she only upped her calories two and a half weeks ago, ffs!

We are assuming she is tracking her calories and exercise accurately. Something is not right
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

We are assuming she is tracking her calories and exercise accurately. Something is not right
    I agree, and think she's not tracking accurately. Even so, two and a half weeks isn't long enough to tell if anything is working. Especially when she's only gone from 1700 to "around 2000."

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

And no the "health nuts and bodybuilders" don't all eat the same thing. I've got 2 names for you.
    1. Alberto Nuñez
    2. Eric Helms
    3. Brad Schoenfeld
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

I agree, and think she's not tracking accurately. Even so, two and a half weeks isn't long enough to tell if anything is working. Especially when she's only gone from 1700 to "around 2000."

Accurately tracking an extra 300 calories is difficult. And she said something about "exercising a bit". Again another variable that's hard to track.

And you're right, 300 calories for 14 days is 4200 calories. Less than 1.5 lbs. 1.5 lbs is going to difficult to track accurately due to all the fluctuations that occur
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Soda is linked to prostate, processed meats to heart disease, diet soda to obesity and a whole slew of problems, look it up. I've been eating pretty clean for the last year and I have seen better results with cutting my gym time in half. Watch all the health nuts on YouTube and body builders. They all Eat and the same thing

Can you provide links to the assertion about prostate cancer (I assume you mean cancer as I drink soda and doubt I will get a prostate). The link to diet soda as a correlation one and with ad lib eating.

The body builders you are referring to are kinda stuck in the 80's. Most competitive bb'ers I know apply flexible dieting (i.e. not eating the same thing all the time).

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No, the rest of the week I eat lean meats, fruits, veggies, and anything else with health benefits. If you buy a 500,000 car, your not going to put regular gas in it, would you? You want the best, and a Big Mac and soda is just *kitten*.

I am not a car.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    "Junk food" is all the fast food, mcpukes, taco chicken, Doritos, anything with empty calories, processed, high sugar and sodium. That's why I said have a cheat day, every Friday I load up on pizza, beer and donuts to shock my system and overload on calories, but those foods will spell murder on your organs, veins, that can lead to a whole slew of health problems. Why would you wanna get healthy and strong when your just gonna be riddled with cancer and disease. Eat clean is the way to go. Nothing wrong with bro science when helping, I'm looking at an all around health and longevity, not just the instant gratification of looking good.

Please define 'empty calories'

Plus, hyperbole and fear monger much?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm 5'11, 37 yrs old and trying to bulk, I would like to get to 200lbs but right now I'm always stuck at 187. I agree you have to clean up your eating, junk food and stuff should be limited to once a week because their a bunch of empty calories and your burn through them fast with the empty carbs your consuming. Not to mention all the health issues associated with them. I also used to exercise 7 days a week which then hurt my gains, now I work out 3-4 day splits, keeping my workout around 20 min then a 15 min cardio. Our bodies as ectomorphs is our own worst enemy. We need lots of rest and downtime. Try also going heavy weights and low reps, between the 6-10 range. If it hurts your joints your going to heavy. One other thing, stop weighing yourself all the time, it will make you crazy, we have a lot of water in our body that makes our weight fluctuate all the time, I weigh myself every Monday, then I don't look at the scale. Hope this helps and good luck.

Am I misreading this...you lift 3 -4 times a week for 20 minutes a session? When trying to bulk?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I think he's saying he cut his workouts down because the reduction in calories burnt = more net calories and = weight gain. IMHO, unless he was a marathoner or something, cutting exercise calories is hard because you would have to cut it down significantly to make a difference in calories. I mean one good pizza slice is 350-500 calories? My 1.5 hour lifting routine is only burning 240 calories. I ain't cutting that to bulk like you said.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP: don't stress too much about the daily fluctuations - water (and food) weight can mess things up (for example. you not exercising may have been the cause of the weight loss due to less water retention in the muscles). Look at the trends. However, I would suggest adding another 100 calories - sit there for say 2 weeks and re-assess. As you eat more your TDEE tends to go up a bit (more food = more energy = more active).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

And no the "health nuts and bodybuilders" don't all eat the same thing. I've got 2 names for you.
    1. Alberto Nuñez
    2. Eric Helms
    3. Brad Schoenfeld

Layne Norton

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to scare anyone, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has Internet, websites like the huffinton post, web md, news shows, talk shows all kinds of media points to these scientific facts. Look around. I was in the same point a lot of these people are, and eating whatever you want isn't for everyone.

Those body builders posted up meal plans on bodybuilding.com, no where do I see Big Macs and kfc anywhere.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to scare anyone, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has Internet, websites like the huffinton post, web md, news shows, talk shows all kinds of media points to these scientific facts. Look around. I was in the same point a lot of these people are, and eating whatever you want isn't for everyone.

Those body builders posted up meal plans on bodybuilding.com, no where do I see Big Macs and kfc anywhere.

several names have been mentioned that rebut your statement..

I would also suggest Martin Berkhan founder of lean gains..not sure if he is a body builder but that guy eats everything and is shredded...

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    While those guys are cutting down to a competition, they might eat well when off season or bulking, they probably are not nearly as strict and probably eat plenty of junk food. Where do you think these guys go right after a competition? Probably to a fast food joint or a steak house LOL