Replies

• awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump again
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading your posts since I last visited this thread. Sounds like we're all finding our way and being committed to fitness and better health. My nephew teaches physical education and is also a sports athletic trainer. His mom turns 60 next year. Nephew advises his mom to eat smart, drink plenty of water, stretch, bend, move continuously throughout the day, remember to smile, speak gratitudes, get plenty of rest and schedule weight training and cardio 3-4 times a week. I absorb his free advice! Recently I've taken note of people who are within 5 years of age 60 -- either younger or older. The vast differences in attitudes, health, movement, gracefulness, and appearance is compelling. It makes you want to ask people -- what are you doing to slow down aging? I'm sure their answers would be similar to my nephew's advice. Had an interesting conversation with our attorney this week, who is vibrant at age 70. We're updating our will since we now have grandchildren. He mentioned the same things I observed and complimented my 62 year old husband -- who is still handsome, cycles, fishes, volunteers, landscapes, works full time and smiles a lot. Our attorney is quite vibrant in all of those ways, too. He walks and golfs and uses exercise equipment at home. He said, at age 70, he's careful not to walk like an old man. He's careful not to frown. It's easy to get into those habits. Hope my comments aren't offensive. It's just that I find the topic fascinating.

I'm chatty today -- signing off to log in my food intake and fitness reports. Have a lovely mid week. Jean
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Hello, ladies - as a newbie member, I just wanted to check in here because this thread has been really lovely.

I'm 62, and enjoyed good health, high activity levels, and low weight throughout most of my life thanks to living in areas in the west and southwest where it was the norm to be active. Then in my late 40s I was offered a career opportunity I couldn't turn down that involved moving to a new area - but I found that most folks around me were far less active than my former friends. I gradually became less active, cooked less, ate 'convenience' more, and eventually found myself at a 167 pounds - which for me, at 5'3" and a very small frame - was terrible, and enough to really hurt my quality of life.

I lost 20 pounds by shifting my eating away from convenience and back to freshly-prepared, mostly-vegetarian meals, and have kept it off for the last two years. But I still just didn't feel good in my own skin. I didn't feel healthy. So I joined a wellness program through my workplace AND signed up here. I love the food/exercise tracker here and want to fine-tune it a bit once I have a better understanding of what might work best for me. My goal is probably to reach 120-125 pounds (I'm not sure yet; I need to see how I feel as I go along!).

I have chronic arthritis in my hip and shoulder, and a knee that has never been quite right, all thanks to very severe injuries in a motorcycle accident when I was 28. I overcame most of those limitations through physical therapy, weight training, and just plain being pissed off at being told that my mobility would always be limited. I have almost normal mobility in my hip and shoulder, but I do admit to having some bad pain days, and there are some exercises I just can't manage.

I got a Fitbit and LOVE it. Currently I'm really enjoying the Leslie Sansone videos and am doing her 1- or 2-mile walks morning and evening along with several really brisk 15-minute walks during my workday. It seems to total to 5 miles daily. I just started a couple of days a week of light weight/strength training. I am still looking for a good weight program to guide me and will check out the nerdfitness program I saw recommended earlier in the thread. I've also heard the "Strong Women Stay Young" recommendations are good - if anyone is familiar with those, let me know what you think, and I am very open to other suggestions for starting weight training.

I've rambled enough! I'm glad to be here, and hope this thread continues. I will also poke around in related groups and threads to be sure I can stay in touch with folks - sharing and receiving support is an amazing experience, and I'm convinced it's key to success!

Welcome Caitwn: I used Leslie Sansone 13 years ago. I have read excerpts of 'Strong Women Stay Young" and found both very sensible approaches to a life journey. There are many strength training programs out there.

On Bodybuilding.com you can begiiner to expert plans for women and by age group. Circuits are good as you can achieve a good THR and hit multiple muscle groups. Compound movements are great to do, like Squat down and Press up with DBs. They have the photos and videos to show you, and what muscle groups are being worked. You don't have to join, either. Many beginner women like Jamie Eason's strength program.

I'm 60 years old. My TDEE is 1750 and I'm at a 500 deficit for 1257 calories. For Protein I eat 1pd/per 1 lb body weight, Fat is 1/3 of my body weight, and Carbs fill in the rest but I keep them between 60-70. I use to be high carb and slowly brought it down with goal to be at 50 grams. I also tossed the processed/packaged foods out a while back but I'm not perfect. For now my carbs come from protein, fruit, veggies and good fats.

You have overcome so much in your life. It's wonderful how well your attitude and outlook was on these obstacles.
    I am a cancer survivor. I had arthritis early in life and had a total knee replacment at 49 years old. I've had some injuries the past 10 months which has set me back in pounds and inches.

I'm just getting a reboost after venting my frustrations out. It's strong women like yourself who inspire me to do better and stay focused on the larger picture of life. Best to you. Stay strong! Di (PM me if I can help with anything).
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Hello, ladies - as a newbie member, I just wanted to check in here because this thread has been really lovely.

I'm 62, and enjoyed good health, high activity levels, and low weight throughout most of my life thanks to living in areas in the west and southwest where it was the norm to be active. Then in my late 40s I was offered a career opportunity I couldn't turn down that involved moving to a new area - but I found that most folks around me were far less active than my former friends. I gradually became less active, cooked less, ate 'convenience' more, and eventually found myself at a 167 pounds - which for me, at 5'3" and a very small frame - was terrible, and enough to really hurt my quality of life.

I lost 20 pounds by shifting my eating away from convenience and back to freshly-prepared, mostly-vegetarian meals, and have kept it off for the last two years. But I still just didn't feel good in my own skin. I didn't feel healthy. So I joined a wellness program through my workplace AND signed up here. I love the food/exercise tracker here and want to fine-tune it a bit once I have a better understanding of what might work best for me. My goal is probably to reach 120-125 pounds (I'm not sure yet; I need to see how I feel as I go along!).

I have chronic arthritis in my hip and shoulder, and a knee that has never been quite right, all thanks to very severe injuries in a motorcycle accident when I was 28. I overcame most of those limitations through physical therapy, weight training, and just plain being pissed off at being told that my mobility would always be limited. I have almost normal mobility in my hip and shoulder, but I do admit to having some bad pain days, and there are some exercises I just can't manage.

I got a Fitbit and LOVE it. Currently I'm really enjoying the Leslie Sansone videos and am doing her 1- or 2-mile walks morning and evening along with several really brisk 15-minute walks during my workday. It seems to total to 5 miles daily. I just started a couple of days a week of light weight/strength training. I am still looking for a good weight program to guide me and will check out the nerdfitness program I saw recommended earlier in the thread. I've also heard the "Strong Women Stay Young" recommendations are good - if anyone is familiar with those, let me know what you think, and I am very open to other suggestions for starting weight training.

I've rambled enough! I'm glad to be here, and hope this thread continues. I will also poke around in related groups and threads to be sure I can stay in touch with folks - sharing and receiving support is an amazing experience, and I'm convinced it's key to success!

Welcome Caitwn: I used Leslie Sansone 13 years ago. I have read excerpts of 'Strong Women Stay Young" and found both very sensible approaches to a life journey. There are many strength training programs out there.

On Bodybuilding.com you can begiiner to expert plans for women and by age group. Circuits are good as you can achieve a good THR and hit multiple muscle groups. Compound movements are great to do, like Squat down and Press up with DBs. They have the photos and videos to show you, and what muscle groups are being worked. You don't have to join, either. Many beginner women like Jamie Eason's strength program.

I'm 60 years old. My TDEE is 1750 and I'm at a 500 deficit for 1257 calories. For Protein I eat 1pd/per 1 lb body weight, Fat is 1/3 of my body weight, and Carbs fill in the rest but I keep them between 60-70. I use to be high carb and slowly brought it down with goal to be at 50 grams. I also tossed the processed/packaged foods out a while back but I'm not perfect. For now my carbs come from protein, fruit, veggies and good fats.

You have overcome so much in your life. It's wonderful how well your attitude and outlook was on these obstacles.
    I am a cancer survivor. I had arthritis early in life and had a total knee replacment at 49 years old. I've had some injuries the past 10 months which has set me back in pounds and inches.

I'm just getting a reboost after venting my frustrations out. It's strong women like yourself who inspire me to do better and stay focused on the larger picture of life. Best to you. Stay strong! Di (PM me if I can help with anything).
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Love the phrase, Strong Women Stay Young. Thank you - will adopt when my car wants to go home after work instead of the gym. Or, on non-gym days, I don't want to wake early enough to use the row machine. Have a lovely day, ladies. Keep moving!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    Bump
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    On being physically fit after 50:

Every woman over 50 belongs in the weight room... or at least in a rigorous strength training fitness class. American women (and men) over 50 are by and large, sedentary. They are losing muscle, developing balance and flexibility issues and on their way to deteriorating earlier than they would like.

Anyone who thinks they are building/retaining/maintaining muscle mass with multiple reps of 2 to 5 lb weights is kidding themselves. The key to building muscle mass is to work to failure. When you can't do any more, your muscles develop little tears in them. That is the process by which they rebuild and become stronger. Once you can do 2 or three sets of about 12 reps, you should be moving to the next weight.

And one more time about bulking. WOMEN CAN'T. We don't have enough testosterone to build muscle the way men do. It's time to bury that old saw.

Just about every chronic illness can be helped or put into remission by incorporating rigorous movement in your life. If you don't sweat, it ain't working.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    @ Jacqueline, I couldn't agree with you more re exercise. I had a very nasty fall about 8 years ago now and broke my foot very badly and ruptured 3 discs in my back. Before that I'd been very active but had a lot of trouble getting back there again. I gained about 50 pounds from lack of movement primarily but also from not being very careful with my diet.

About a year and a half ago, after all sorts of therapy, shots, medication etc. I finally got frustrated enough to take matters into my own hands and hired a trainer who was also a trained physical therapist. She helped me get stronger where I needed to and really reversed the debilitation and pain from my injury. I'm very grateful I found her.

I'm on my second trainer now, he's a former Marine.....................yikes....and I haven't felt this good in years. I still have about 15 stubborn pounds to get off but I eat to fuel my workouts and lose weight slowly.

@ everyone else, my best advice is keep plugging away at it. I start every morning with a detailed plan of nutrition and exercise and then try to stick to it. Some days are better than others but the progression over time has all been in a positive direction.

Good luck to all of you. If anyone wants to send me a friend request feel free to. I'm pretty active here on MFP and have logged in for almost 500 days straight........... B)

Wow. You have great arms. I'm afraid mine are too wavy.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Just read thru this thread the last couple of days.

Wow!! Love all the energy, success and motivation you all have.

We women over 55 rock. I am 68 and have lost 34 lbs in the last 3 years. I walk my 10,000 steps daily except Sunday's. I go to Y frequently and stay very active with grandchildren.

I am on maintenance now and you all have given me a new perspective on dealing with that. It is now a lifestyle not either on or off a diet.

Am loving fresh prepared foods and only treats occasionally (like cake at 2 year old grandsons bd party).

Hope to hear updates of everyone's progress.

• sweetcheeks20101959
    sweetcheeks20101959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi lady's I'm new here been a few months of watching g more of what I eat going to the ywca to workout been really hard to lose weight for the last 2 yrs I'm 55 now and need to get healthy and weight of have alot of health problems to deal with but still fighting I want to be around for my grandbabys
    I have stomach disorder and bowel. and liver and now diabetes but I'm going to kept fighting any suggestions plz gladly appreciated ty
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Hello good women. I've been fighting a severe sinus infection since Saturday, including earache, throat, headache, etc. Pesky sinuses. Good meds and good under care. I'm ready to work out tomorrow after 5 days away from gym. Lowered caloric intake while not working out. Agree with weight training plus cardio comments. I also hop on row machine at home and stretch before work. Walk for 20 minutes mid day. Just trying to get the metabolism excited. Circuit cardio 4 x's a week at gym and add weight training 3 of those days. Drinks lots of water and enjoy some lovely time walking the labyrinth when I need to chill out. Appreciate all of your comments. Keep moving. As someone mentioned earlier -- strong women are young women.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of cheating here, as I am only 53. I just wanted to encourage you all that it can be done and you all rock!!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    jeanlake wrote: »
    enjoy some lovely time walking the labyrinth .

Now... that's something you don't hear every day .... where is your labyrinth, Jean?
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    I'm kind of cheating here, as I am only 53. I just wanted to encourage you all that it can be done and you all rock!!
    I just looked at your profile page. You are amazing! What a difference.

• jeanlake
    Options
    Thank you, mamadon.

Sky, I want to answer your question about labyrinth walking. There is a labyrinth near my home that is on the headquarters of a church. They are kind to welcome anyone from sunrise to sunset to walk the labyrinth. Wonderful grounds, lovely atmosphere. Total labyrinth distance is 2/3 mile. Of course you walk slow, and deliberate. First 1/3 mile is just communing and last 1/3 mile is just listening. I find it peaceful. There is also a labyrinth close to my work. Again, neither is my church, but all are welcoming. It's a lovely thing. Thanks for asking. Jean
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Jean, in this case, it's not the distance, it's how you get there. At a church nearby here there is also a labyrinth painted on concrete, and I've walked it once. Another group I belong to has Labyrinth walks about three times a year, and the labyrinth is painted on cloth and laid on a floor. It can be used as a way to peace, as you suggested.
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Hi Sky. I truly enjoy my labyrinth walks and I'm up for another. Maybe tomorrow on the way home from work.
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well and we continue to intentionally move throughout our days. Recently changed my workout routine slightly, as doc said I most likely am experiencing DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. I'm to use heat and not ice on affected muscle areas. Besides the pain -- the news is good -- our bodies are responding to our exercise efforts! And again, we're to push through the pain, perhaps modifying our regiments by more water intake, more warm ups, more stretching.

Some of you may have experienced this -- the key is -- don't stop working out. According to Dr. Barbara Sarnataro, Web MD article - That's all I've got. Enjoy the rest of your week. - Jean

Exercise physiologists refer to the gradually increasing discomfort that occurs between 24 and 48 hours after activity as delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), and it is perfectly normal. "Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is a common result of physical activity that stresses the muscle tissue beyond what it is accustomed to," says David O. Draper, professor and director of the graduate program in sports medicine/athletic training at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

To be more specific, says Draper, who's also a member of the heat-responsive pain council, delayed onset muscle soreness occurs when the muscle is performing an eccentric or a lengthening contraction. Examples of this would be running downhill or the lengthening portion of a bicep curl.

"Small microscopic tears occur in the muscle," he says.

The mild muscle strain injury creates microscopic damage to the muscle fibers. Scientists believe this damage, coupled with the inflammation that accompanies these tears, causes the pain.

"The aches and pains should be minor," says Carol Torgan, an exercise physiologist and fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, "and are simply indications that muscles are adapting to your fitness regimen."

Even Bodybuilders Get Them
    [/i]
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi; I'm 64 and have lost 10 lbs (128/9 to 118/9) since February (this year). I'm now just starting on what they call "Recomposition;" losing body fat while increasing muscle mass. Basically, you eat at maintenance and lift as heavy as you can. I'll keep you posted.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!