55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• AFabulous50
    AFabulous50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired by these posts! I am 53, and post menopausal. I first jointed MFP in January 2012. I lost 36 lbs. by May, got a new job (after 23 years on the other one), started school, and continued to raise children. (No empty nest for me yet). :smile: Needless to say, with all of the newness I found, I lost track of what was working, and I gained it all back, plus some. But, I'm back now!! Looking forward to great results with no excuses! Please add me as a friend, I need some like-minded people and I think this is a GREAT group!!!
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies. I am 66 yr old and have been a member since 2013. Menopause in my 40s. I initially lost 80 pounds starting out at 278. Did a sprint triathlon as a goal, then failed to keep going over the course of the next 2 years, I was up and down with 35#. Mind you I still had about 50# to go when I lost the 80# when I started to yoyo. I have been finally on track again for the last 4 months at my doc's orders, I have lost about 20# and on the right routine.

It is harder, because we are aging and fighting against slower metabolisms, lean muscle mass deterioration, some of disabilities (like me), and who knows what else is changing.

I have made a commitment to myself, that this has to be a true life long journey of change. I haven't even told my family how much I am losing, because "They heard this before!" No hubby so I am really doing this on my own with my doc and nutritionist as my support. And of course ladies like you.
  • luciamaria2772
    luciamaria2772 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Inspired by all these posts. I need to go back and reread them.
  • phnxrth
    phnxrth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 58, lost 9 lbs. since February. The first 4 on my own and final 5 with the help of this site, which I learned about from a New York Times article comment. The comment had to do with how little food women have to eat if they want to be slim.

I'm really grateful for this site. Things have definitely changed for me at this age and while I'd been estimating caloric intake, it had been quite some time since I'd paid attention to every little detail as I'm finding I need to.

I work out as much as I can and try to under report exercise. The caloric part is what's hard for me since I have sometimes as many as 25 severe hot flashes a day accompanied by very powerful urges to eat. I now know why so many older women aren't in shape. One extra stressor may be one too many.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    All, the biggest thing that really helped me lose most of the weight was cutting back on my sugar (natural & added). I try to keep it between 45 & 60 gm a day although sometimes I eat more and others less. It has worked for me so you might want to give it a try. I stayed stuck at 125 for over three weeks and it finally started coming off. I have also changed my weight lifting to lifting as heave as I can (4 sets of 4-6 reps); I can now do BB curls w/a 30 pound barbell. Biggest thing is not to under eat (<1100 cals); I'm now eating 1400+ and starting to see some muscle definition--slow but sure. B)
  • griffinca2
    Options
    bwilk18, I'm thinking of getting a fitbit; which one do you have and how do you like it??? B)
  • lew0017
    lew0017 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, great posts I enjoy reading everyone's successes and struggles, as we all have them. I am 65 and originally lost 25lbs about 10 years ago that I gained from a long term illness. I have been since fighting with the last 10-15lbs over and over. This year I decided to tackle my insulin issues first before concentrating on the scale as most of my weight was in the stomach area. I took some supplements to help balance my glucose levels, monitored my fasting glucose and kept my sugar grams as low as I could by the way of no added sugar to my diet. I lost 8 lbs pretty easy, so now (I have stalled) so I am concentrating on my calories and keeping my sugar grams low to lose the last 5lbs. I also recently started Intermittent Fasting which makes keeping my calories down easier and I have tons of energy too. I do the 16 hour fast from 7pm until 11am 6 days a week, then eat all my days worth of food between 11am and 7pm. So basically I am skipping breakfast, something I would have never done before, but I have read all the research on how it benefits longevity, so for me I feel good on it. Right now I am 5'7" and 149lbs, but am recovering from a knee injury so have had to back off my workouts for a while, but can still do upper body weight training while sitting, and still do some yoga moves.
    BTW I love my fitbit, can't wait till I get back to walking again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    bwilk18, I'm thinking of getting a fitbit; which one do you have and how do you like it??? B)

I have FitbitOne and clip it onto bra. I like that it tracks both steps and floors, the smaller Zip does steps only. It helps keep me accountable to keep moving and talk my walks every day. Just over 1 year in. 95 pds lost with walking & strength training. Age 60.

I just found the "over 50" group here on MFP so you might want to check it out.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Thanks; I'll do that. B)
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I've really enjoyed reading through your posts. I'm turning 55 in two weeks, and am postmenopausal. I'm 5'8" and 191, my goal is 170 (or less, but I'm trying to be realistic). My husband and I are raising four teenage daughters - one has mental illness (anxiety, depression, mood disorder) so life at home can be stressful. And it has been stressful for years - but things are getting better. I've been off and on with MFP, succumbing to stress and busyiness. I was at home for years raising the kids, and went back to work full time last year. I start a new job in late August, and am excited about it.

One of my goals with my dietician is for me to meditation or do yoga 5 times a week, to reduce stress and build a foundation. As I've read your posts, I haven't seen anyone write about drinking wine at night. This is my achilles heal, and a habit I am working to break. Any one out there successful in that? I'm hoping that by meditating, and also eating a balanced, healthy, fresh diet....and exercising, that my stress levels will go down.

I welcome your thoughts!
    Denise
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I've really enjoyed reading through your posts. I'm turning 55 in two weeks, and am postmenopausal. I'm 5'8" and 191, my goal is 170 (or less, but I'm trying to be realistic). My husband and I are raising four teenage daughters - one has mental illness (anxiety, depression, mood disorder) so life at home can be stressful. And it has been stressful for years - but things are getting better. I've been off and on with MFP, succumbing to stress and busyiness. I was at home for years raising the kids, and went back to work full time last year. I start a new job in late August, and am excited about it.

One of my goals with my dietician is for me to meditation or do yoga 5 times a week, to reduce stress and build a foundation. As I've read your posts, I haven't seen anyone write about drinking wine at night. This is my achilles heal, and a habit I am working to break. Any one out there successful in that? I'm hoping that by meditating, and also eating a balanced, healthy, fresh diet....and exercising, that my stress levels will go down.

I welcome your thoughts!
    Denise

Denise, glad you joined us.

As for the wine, for most of us, it is like any other habit. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. I just try to save a few calories each day so I can have a glass of wine on weekends when out with friends.

It really comes down to how bad do you want that healthy weight either for health reasons or feel better in our clothes or whatever your goal is.

Good luck with MHP and let us hear from you often.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Mine wasn't wine, but chocolate (not much difference really--a habit). Try to cut back on how much you have each time, then try to skip a night once or twice a week. Actually, a little wine now and then is good for you, but like chocolate, salty chips, wine, etc. can be addicting.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have stumbled upon gold! I am 58 and have that same post menopause 30 to lose. I am still active, working as a nurse practitioner (I easily rack up 10000 steps a night!). I recently came back from a trip and was mortified at the pics, I really look frumpy and dumpy, something I have always dreaded. So I am back to MFP to knuckle down and lose these 30 pounds forever!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    krenwren, I finally made it to my goal (actually went past it and need to gain a couple back). I'm 60+ and just retired from Federal service last year (Sep). I put on an extra four lbs (and fat) between Sep 14 & Feb 15 (this on top of the six or seven I had already put on). So in Feb 15 I started back working out at a locally-owned gym three days a week (weight lifting & 15-20 cardio). I have lost over 11 lbs and 5% body fat. I upped my calories, cut back on the sugar (added & naturally occurring). I hit a couple of plateaus along the way but kept at it. I started eating "real" food (vs. man-made); switched out the powdered creamer for regular half & half; packages of plain frozen veggies, etc. For sweetener I use either Agave Nectar or liquid Stevia (a plant sweetener). Good luck, you'll make it.B)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Denise,
    Everything in moderation. That being said, log everything. If the wine is important to you, which with a stress filled life it probably is, log it first. I enjoy my drinks. I'm 56, 5'7" and started out at 190#. You can do this.
    griffinca2,
    I also have made it to/past goal. I am still trying to find my stopping point. I just upped my calories today. MFP lowered them (!) when I added more exercise. Oh, well... :)
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    MK - thank you. Moderation is truly the key - as well as nights off from any wine at all. I am logging everything, even if it doesn't look pretty.

Our daughter is away for a 2 week, super-expensive, sleepaway horse camp. Life at home without her has been a bliss - relaxing - and I find myself organizing our household with abandon. She had her "one" call night tonight - and was bonkers. Take me home etc... cursing etc... We are holding firm and not picking her up - contacted the camp and they will work with her. Hubby and I planned a couple's local getaway for 2 nights/3 days next week and we need it!

Stress is tough - but I'm doing well with the meditation and plan to keep on with it.

Good for you - you started at 190, may I ask where you are now?
    Best,
    Denise
  • krenwren
    Options
    Is this a group somewhere? Or is the thread the group? I love these success stories, it makes me realize that I can't use my age and post menopausal state as an excuse not to succeed. As a side note, I love wine and build it in a couple of times a week. I'll walk or workout extra so I can make it a "sum zero" addition to my day!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    Is this a group somewhere? Or is the thread the group? I love these success stories, it makes me realize that I can't use my age and post menopausal state as an excuse not to succeed. As a side note, I love wine and build it in a couple of times a week. I'll walk or workout extra so I can make it a "sum zero" addition to my day!

No group, just this thread. Click on the little star in the upper right corner to bookmark the thread. Most of us just check in here when we see new posts added to the thread and you could send friend requests to those that have made comments here to keep in touch with like-minded individuals.

Yup, age and post menopausal states don't count and barring medical conditions it's really a matter of calories in / calories out and some exercise. And, oh, yeah, lots of patience and determination to get the job done.
  • thisnewmenow
    thisnewmenow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just came across this thread this morning as I am signing into MFP one more time to try to take this weight off. I am 61 and have gotten so frustrated trying to take off this weight. I have gone to Weight Watchers and lost the weight before, but just too much $$ now. I am committed this time and love that I found this thread to check in with.
  • krenwren
    Options
    We are all on the journey together! I agree with @trina1049 , perseverance is the key! And being fastidious about journaling your food, oh and exercising daily, etc, etc. We are older and wiser and know what to do, now we need to get to doing it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!