55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• BonniJ54
    BonniJ54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    zenny24 wrote: »
    I'm 65 and have lost 72 pounds since April, 2013. I did it mostly through diet alone, since I had a broken leg and a complication that I am still struggling with--a broken titanium rod--so believe me it can be done!! I stay around 1400 calories a day but go higher if I'm traveling. Even then I always aim to stay at maintenance or below. Key for me is consistent logging, substituting good food for bad, and learning portion control. I eat enough calories so my body won't revolt, and don't restrict any foods except fast food and soda.

Not high tech but it really works!

• BonniJ54
    BonniJ54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also broke my leg. I also have a titanium rod. I am having problems ,with my knees. I think the pins holding the rod is the problem. How did you break the titanium rod. I gainef weight through the recovery and now am serious about taking control. So wonderful that you were disciplined and lost. The best to you. I broke my leg in 2013.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    kikelly7 wrote: »
    Hello. Enjoying this thread. We are all so different and it is difficult to say what is the best plan. Lately I have been reading small frequent meals or 3 regular meals doesnt really matter. Experiment with what works for you. I am close to 61 and I am losing steadily but very slowly. 1200 calories a day , sugar under 45 ( on good days) exercise every day and I cannot count my exercise calories. This regimen is only affording me a 1 lb loss a week but thats what I have to do at my age.

1 lb loss a week is good. That would be 52 lbs gone on a year and That would be awesome! And healthy.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Snooozie, that's a great idea. It's difficult for sure. I should do away with the meal titles since when I look back, I'm having flank steak and rice for breakfast and yogurt for dinner. I am hopeful that my 1400 cals a day and not counting my exercise will do the trick. I heading for a week at the beach with family so I am planning on a lot of extra physical activity to blunt the indulgences. Thanks everyone for these ideas. @kikelly7 I see what you are talking about, very slow progress but progress it is.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    krenwren, so what if you indulge a little; just get back on the wagon when you return. You may re-gain a lb or two but enjoying yourself and time w/your family are more important. And sometimes the body likes the "little shockers," and you end up losing more weight when you get back to your regular eating habits. B)
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    To succeed long term u have to normalize eating. When I was in ED rehab no numbers!! No weighing no calories n no discussion with numbers. Very hard but it really does work. Gayle Minneapolis
  • keana55
    keana55 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BonniJ54 wrote: »
    I also broke my leg. I also have a titanium rod. I am having problems ,with my knees. I think the pins holding the rod is the problem. How did you break the titanium rod. I gainef weight through the recovery and now am serious about taking control. So wonderful that you were disciplined and lost. The best to you. I broke my leg in 2013.

The doctor said my titanium rod broke because although my femur looked healed from the xrays it was still broken inside. Thus he said the rod was bending (kinda like a metal clothes hanger when you keep bending it in the same place and it finally snaps). His advice was to see if the femur break would heal on its own because the rod was now useless and removing it would be major surgery.

It was a very painful year of "let's wait and see" and in the end both the doctor and physical therapists just kinda dismissed me. I was still able to get around on a cane. I went on a trip to Europe and the leg got even worse. My internist recommended me to a surgeon at a well-respected teaching hospital in my city. He did surgery to remove the broken rod and put in a plate instead. It was easier surgery than the first, and I'm sure the weight loss was a major factor! I do have quite a scar, though.

Four months out from surgery and I am starting to walk without a walker or cane for the first time in two years.
    I am so glad I got that second opinion and surgery. Sorry for the length of this reply. I am now down 86 lbs! The very best to you, too!
    Options
    zenny24 wrote: »
    BonniJ54 wrote: »

The doctor said my titanium rod broke because although my femur looked healed from the xrays it was still broken inside. Thus he said the rod was bending (kinda like a metal clothes hanger when you keep bending it in the same place and it finally snaps). His advice was to see if the femur break would heal on its own because the rod was now useless and removing it would be major surgery.

It was a very painful year of "let's wait and see" and in the end both the doctor and physical therapists just kinda dismissed me. I was still able to get around on a cane. I went on a trip to Europe and the leg got even worse. My internist recommended me to a surgeon at a well-respected teaching hospital in my city. He did surgery to remove the broken rod and put in a plate instead. It was easier surgery than the first, and I'm sure the weight loss was a major factor! I do have quite a scar, though.

Four months out from surgery and I am starting to walk without a walker or cane for the first time in two years.
    I am so glad I got that second opinion and surgery. Sorry for the length of this reply. I am now down 86 lbs! The very best to you, too!

I need knees replaced but have to take off weight!! Sounds like this worked for you!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • keana55
    keana55 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Gayle--it made such a HUGE difference. So worth the effort and you can do it!
  • Fayelle1
    Fayelle1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just started on MFP again. I've lost 25 pounds 63 pounds to go. I'm eating 4 small balanced meals =1600 kcal. I'm starting to exercise again. I'm 63...a nurse.. This looks like a good discussion group.
    Options
    We are !!! Welcome!!!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • thisnewmenow
    thisnewmenow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Fayelle1. I have been doing MFP for a couple weeks. Lost 2.4 the first wk, gained it back the second, but not giving in or giving up. Started exercising today and hopefully won't set me back with my plantar fasciitis. I have 45 lbs to lose and HAVE to do it. You know you have to get serious when you get muffin top on your stretch pants!!!!! :(
  • Fayelle1
    Options
    Welcome back Fayelle1. I have been doing MFP for a couple weeks. Lost 2.4 the first wk, gained it back the second, but not giving in or giving up. Started exercising today and hopefully won't set me back with my plantar fasciitis. I have 45 lbs to lose and HAVE to do it. You know you have to get serious when you get muffin top on your stretch pants!!!!! :(

Thanks for responding...I'm glad to be back...I like the idea that I put in what I eat everyday. Plus, great people to chat with. I have about 60 pounds to lose. Let's be friends and encourage each other.
  • Fayelle1
    Options
    krenwren, are you eating small meals throughout the day?? Skipping meals can actually slow or stop weight loss. Eating several small meals throughout the day will keep your metabolism going, regulate your blood sugar and help with weight loss. It will also help you from feeling so hungry during the day. :)

Totally agree. I like small meals do I never have that Sick stuffed feeling.

I agree too, One of the reasons I've started is I would get so sick to my stomach overeating. I now realize ..a meal of 500 kcal is plenty....and I get to eat again in a little while...no big deal...
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    OK, I blew it yesterday (ate on the "sugar express"), but I am back on the wagon today. My issue is this; I was at a church-sponsored Sunday School Conference at a local Baptist church and the only item they had for us to eat during the day that had any protein/veggies on it was a sandwich @ lunch that had a small amt of ham, cheese and a piece of lettuce. The rest was sugary carbs (brownies, cookies, small cinnamon rolls, etc.) Now, if we are supposed to be the temple of the Holy Spirit how is eating all that taking care of the temple??? And how are we to be witnesses to others if we don't eat right? Also, last year we had a "Missions Night" by bringing foods from other countries; there were no green veggies (not even a salad). What are we doing to our bodies???? No wonder we are sick and have health problems. >:)
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Fayelle1 wrote: »
    I just started on MFP again. I've lost 25 pounds 63 pounds to go. I'm eating 4 small balanced meals =1600 kcal. I'm starting to exercise again. I'm 63...a nurse.. This looks like a good discussion group.

I am Aldo eating up to 1600cal/day. Lost 30 so far with 50 more to go. I'm 56 and a nurse too
  • topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    61 checking in. I shed 30 lbs since May 2015. Plan to lose another 25 by Christmas. I'm not doing this for my beach body pose, but rather to avoid pressure on my knees and lungs. Increased asthmatic symptons manifested with my weight gain, and when my knee was intensely painful in Jan/Feb, my ortho told me lessening the weight on my knees would delay or eliminate the need for full knee replacement surgery. We definitely have different reasons for wanting to/needing to lose the weight. It took me from Feb to May to actually start to lose weight (post ortho lecture), but I'm glad I started this journey. I feel 1000 times better without that extra 30 lbs I was dragging around. I can't imagine what I'll feel like with another 20 gone.
    Options
    61 checking in. I shed 30 lbs since May 2015. Plan to lose another 25 by Christmas. I'm not doing this for my beach body pose, but rather to avoid pressure on my knees and lungs. Increased asthmatic symptons manifested with my weight gain, and when my knee was intensely painful in Jan/Feb, my ortho told me lessening the weight on my knees would delay or eliminate the need for full knee replacement surgery. We definitely have different reasons for wanting to/needing to lose the weight. It took me from Feb to May to actually start to lose weight (post ortho lecture), but I'm glad I started this journey. I feel 1000 times better without that extra 30 lbs I was dragging around. I can't imagine what I'll feel like with another 20 gone.

Wow!!!!! How did u do it??? Gayle Minneapolis
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    OK, I blew it yesterday (ate on the "sugar express"), but I am back on the wagon today. My issue is this; I was at a church-sponsored Sunday School Conference at a local Baptist church and the only item they had for us to eat during the day that had any protein/veggies on it was a sandwich @ lunch that had a small amt of ham, cheese and a piece of lettuce. The rest was sugary carbs (brownies, cookies, small cinnamon rolls, etc.) Now, if we are supposed to be the temple of the Holy Spirit how is eating all that taking care of the temple??? And how are we to be witnesses to others if we don't eat right? Also, last year we had a "Missions Night" by bringing foods from other countries; there were no green veggies (not even a salad). What are we doing to our bodies???? No wonder we are sick and have health problems. >:)

I am going out on a limb here and assuming you are in the midwest. Potlucks, carry-ins, etc. are always comfort food calorie bombs. Saints and sinners alike are guilty of this. Maybe you could set the example with a "skinnified" casserole or salad. Look at skinnytaste.com or cooking light for ideas.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    [quote= I feel 1000 times better without that extra 30 lbs I was dragging around. I can't imagine what I'll feel like with another 20 gone.
    [/quote]

Amazing! great job @topathemorning. My days of looking for a "beach body" are coming to an end but I do want to feel healthier and less logy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!