55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Nope; Southeast (Georgia). Just as bad (or worse). When they cook veggies they're usually seasoned w/slices of bacon, etc. When I do go and bring something it is usually healthy (and gets eaten by the way). Guess my problem is I'm originally from California and hated most veggies growing up; blessing in disguise because learned how to fix so they stay healthy. I have frozen veggie & fresh veggie buttons on my microwave so that's how I cook most of my veggies (takes less than 10 min). B)
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of nurses on this site! I have said before I work nights. It's a killer for regulating your body. I am giving this latest 1400 a day regimen a few weeks and see if that's finally the answer for weight loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    61 checking in. I shed 30 lbs since May 2015. Plan to lose another 25 by Christmas. I'm not doing this for my beach body pose, but rather to avoid pressure on my knees and lungs. Increased asthmatic symptons manifested with my weight gain, and when my knee was intensely painful in Jan/Feb, my ortho told me lessening the weight on my knees would delay or eliminate the need for full knee replacement surgery. We definitely have different reasons for wanting to/needing to lose the weight. It took me from Feb to May to actually start to lose weight (post ortho lecture), but I'm glad I started this journey. I feel 1000 times better without that extra 30 lbs I was dragging around. I can't imagine what I'll feel like with another 20 gone.

Yes. My knees (torn meniscus on the left, other more minor problems in both) are feeling so much better after losing 30-some pounds (started April 2015). I expect to be completely rejuvenated after the next 20-some are gone! ;)

For me, too, it's all about being healthy and strong. How I look isn't even in my top 10 reasons to lose weight - may not even be on the list at all.

P.S. I'm 59.
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good to hear how motivated you all are. I would love to hear what exercise and activities you enjoy! Also, do you feel exercise or diet plays the major role in weight loss??
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    kikelly7 wrote: »
    Good to hear how motivated you all are. I would love to hear what exercise and activities you enjoy! Also, do you feel exercise or diet plays the major role in weight loss??

Definitely diet - calories in / calories out plays the major role. Calories in / calories out for weight loss, exercise for health. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. As for activities, the best activity for older women is resistance training (weight lifting) to maintain healthy bone density. I love weight lifting, walking, and I do minimal cardio, but some for heart health.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    [quote

Walking walking walking. Get in 10-12 thousand steps daily. It has really shaped my rear and saddlebag area.

Aerobic dance because my husband doesn't dance and I love the music

Spin class because I love the music.

Playing with grandkids.

Hiking. Love nature.
  • Eleted
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, I needed a kick to motivate me to add weight resistance training. I know. I know!! Haha. Walking a lot and kayaking often but I understand why weights are crucial. I do not work today so I am heading downstairs to the weight bench.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

Rowing. Also rowing. (Heh.) Plus spin, biking. Now re-adding some weight training (which I did regularly a few years back, without losing weight), and some core work. Not doing the usual compound, lift-heavy approach to weight training right now, because (guess what) it's on-water rowing season. Rowing is essentially 800-1000 or more leg-presses per hour with a glute/core/shoulder/arm pull at the end, of my weight + boat weight + friction. Leg work is for the off-season, because I don't row as much on the machine as on the water.

I'm quite confident diet plays the major role. I've been rowing (sometimes more than currently) and spinning for more than a decade without losing weight. I could always, easily, eat my exercise calories and then some. In my mind, while losing weight, exercise is for staying as strong as feasible.

P.S. to @kikelly7: We live in the same state. But I bleed green . . . . :)
  • krenwren
    Options
    I try for 100000 steps a day, I have a spin bike and try to work out 3x a week. I also love Jessica Smith workouts. I used to run but I really don't like it and so at my age I feel I need to concentrate on what I like and not force myself to do exercises I don't enjoy.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    I try for 100000 steps a day, I have a spin bike and try to work out 3x a week. I also love Jessica Smith workouts. I used to run but I really don't like it and so at my age I feel I need to concentrate on what I like and not force myself to do exercises I don't enjoy.

Totally agree. If it's not fun, it is torture.
  • CGSummer
    CGSummer Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi All, I an new to these group chats but noticed a comment about trying to eat 1400+ calories a day (more to lose weight) This is what I am being told, I must eat more but of course clean eating. Is it working for anyone, can you comment?
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    CGSummer wrote: »
    Hi All, I an new to these group chats but noticed a comment about trying to eat 1400+ calories a day (more to lose weight) This is what I am being told, I must eat more but of course clean eating. Is it working for anyone, can you comment?

Just plug your information into MFP and it should tell you how many calories you need to eat. Or go to a web site that calculates your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) subtract the amount by 15 or 20 percent and you will have the amount of calories you need to eat. Your TDEE is how many calories you burn on average each day and would be the amount you need to maintain.
    As far as clean eating is concerned you do not have to eat "clean" to lose weight. If you want to do it for personal preference that's fine, but it is not at all necessary for weight loss. There are many examples of people on this site (myself included) who lost weight while eating a variety of foods.
  • Eleted
    Options
    AnnPT77. We bleed both colors in my household
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi PianoRun (I'm guessing you play piano :) I'm female, 56 and post menopausal. Last year I lost 30 lbs between January and September. I tried to be faithful to log my caloric intake on MFP and workout out on my eliptical trainer while watching a show on Netflix - approximately 45 minutes. (A distraction is a MUST!) I'm 5'1" and have to stay at or below 1200 calories to lose. It's hard, but it can be done! I gained back 20 between mid September and the end of December ... how is that possible!!!???? So....gotta keep at it or it does return AND IN A HURRY! I had gotten lazy and wasn't logging. I've taken off 5 of that already, and plan to get the rest off and not gain it back AGAIN....UGH! Hangeth thou in there! You can do it...just takes discipline and the realization that its just the way it is at this stage of life. Stinks huh? Be thankful for the wisdom we have now, but miss the bodies and metabolism we once had. The tradeoff I guess!

This is true for me as well. I started at age 57 and was quite sure that I couldn't lose weight. I thought that I had been eating very little and yet still kept piling on the pounds. Well, when I started logging my food I realized that I had been eating and drinking a lot more calories than I thought! And when I started measuring and weighing everything I ate and logging every bite, the weight came off. And I don't think it was that much slower than when I was younger - I lost about 5 pounds a month which was what I was trying to do. I lost a total of 35 pounds and then I quit weighing myself, quit logging and went back to my old habits (Why did I do that??). I regained 24 pounds and am now working on taking that back off. I can do it. I know what to do. It happens.

You can lose weight post menopausal. Lots of women on this site have done it. The trick is to be able to keep it off. You can't abandon the good habits. If anything is different from now and when I was younger is that I can't cheat and keep it off as well as I used to. As long as I stick to my calorie count, I'm good.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

100000 a day? Did I read this correctly? Most of us are happy to do 10000+ daily.

Totally agree with doing what you enjoy. That is the exercise you will continue to do. I am getting good results from a little dancing, walking 10K+ per day, yoga, and lately I have found strength training to be fun too.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

100000 a day? Did I read this correctly? Most of us are happy to do 10000+ daily.

Totally agree with doing what you enjoy. That is the exercise you will continue to do. I am getting good results from a little dancing, walking 10K+ per day, yoga, and lately I have found strength training to be fun too.

LOL, I think that was a typo! Who can walk 100,000 steps per day, although she is spinning? Hahah. If 10,000 steps is 4-5 miles per day, then 10 X that amount is??? Ouch, my brain is hurting from math stuff.
  • krenwren
    Options
    i walk a lot for work! oops, knock a zero off please!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    CGSummer wrote: »
    I lost more than 60 lbs. following MFP recommendations, however, I have also found that no matter how many calories I eat, exercise is a HUGE factor. I lost most of my weight at 1200 calories/day. When I went to maintenance, I continued to lose weight at 1540 and even 1800 calories/day. What? Made no sense, but I do exercise kind of a lot. I guess the answer is to find what works best for you in regards to exercise and calorie intake. Elliptical, stationary bike, walking, more walking and Jessica Smith strength videos have worked for me. There are lots of definitions of clean eating. I have adapted recipes to reflect lower calories and pretty much eat healthier than I used to, but pizza finds me rather often :). Sorry if I babbled too much
  • Eleted
    Options
    Good sound wisdom!! I agree. Exercise definitely speeds things up. I, too just follow MFP guidelines and am steadily losing. My biggest fear is the upcoming winter months. The early sunset and cold makes exercise just a bit more challenging. Everyone have a great day!

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I agree, you feel like bedtime at 6pm.. Here it will be cold n dark!!! It will be a challenge. Gayle Minneapolis
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!