55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    FattieBabs. I have found the greatest exercise ever is just walking!! Start slow and build up distance and speed. I have been successful with MFP, a Fitbit and lots of walking! Also giving yourself positive I messages and visualizing where you want to be is essential. You can do this. Just think, one meal at a time, one day at a time!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is your work active enough to require breakfast, or do you get light-headed from low blood sugar anyway?

You could skip breakfast saving more calories for dinner, and a snack before bed could keep liver carb stores high enough that you don't need that breakfast for sedentary activity.

Strength training always beneficial during a diet to help retain whenever muscle mass you got. Makes it so much harder without it.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    kikelly7 wrote: »
    FattieBabs. I have found the greatest exercise ever is just walking!! Start slow and build up distance and speed. I have been successful with MFP, a Fitbit and lots of walking! Also giving yourself positive I messages and visualizing where you want to be is essential. You can do this. Just think, one meal at a time, one day at a time!!

Totally agree. And I would change my avatar name. I feel like "fatty" is negative. You should identify with a more positive aspect of you.

I have lost 40 lbs by mostly walking. Something I like and can keep up indefinitely and Can do anywhere. Rain or shine.
  • JoniJohnson2
    JoniJohnson2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 52 and needing to lose 40lbs. The weight has crept up on me, especially now that I'm menopausal. You all have inspiring stories that are motivating. I'm pretty excited about this site I think it will help. Blessings, J.
  • ktgbgrme
    ktgbgrme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    56 years old and bookmarking this, too. I had depressing eye issues all summer, and gained back around 10 pounds! Now I can see very well that I have 30 pounds to lose—again!
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    It's a life journey! You can do it!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Welcome! @ktgbgrme , lots of great ideas and help here!

• Eleted
    Options
    Started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Level 1. Whoa. It kicks butt. Literally. Hoping I will build endurance. Anybody want to join me?? You can find it on you Tube. Ive heard good things!!!
  • deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. We are experiencing high temps right now in SoCal and it's too hot to walk outside. My mom has Alzheimer's and also doesn't get enough exercise. I picked her up and we went to the mall. She's 80 so we walked a little slower but still made it twice around and I got in 1/2 hr of walking which was good for both of us. Of course she wanted to stop at Cinnabon and take a roll home with her. I managed to say no! I dug out my 3lb. weights and did some exercises with them at home. Does that qualify as strength training do you think? Congrats to everyone for sticking it one more week! Dee
  • Eleted
    Options
    Dee,
    Yes it does. Strength also was demonstrated in denying that Cinnabon haha. We've had high temps in Michigan as well. Gtg a break today. Maybe today we can both get a long walk in.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @kikelly7, I tried Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I never did make it to Level 3! It certainly is tough. I have been working on strength training using 3 - 8# weights with Jessicasmithtv, also on youtube. I am getting stronger and she is easy to work out with. Good luck to you! Much cooler here today, too, heading for highs in the 60s for the weekend. May try to get a little slogging (slow jogging) in. Hello Autumn.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    hahahahah the shred! I was shredded alright, thought my arms were going to come out of my sockets. I need a more gentle torture! I'm with @mk2loser with Jessicasmith, she is perfect! A little sneaky, the workouts look so fun and bubbly, you don't notice until the next day you have had an amazing workout!
  • Eleted
    Options
    Thank you. I will take a look at Jessica Smith. Yeahhhhh, I cannot imagine going past level 1. But, hey I would have never even used the word Shredded 3 months ago unless I was cooking.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'll have to give it a try if can't make to gym. It's only $20 (no extra fees) a month for folks over 60 and only seven miles down the road. I try to do weight training three days a week w/20 min on an up-right stationary bike set on random @ level 6. B)
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in with shredding isn't for me unless I'm cooking. The weights and some cardio are all I can handle! I've embraced low impact for now and in the future! Knees and feet start screaming at me if I try that high impact stuff -- I wish I could run but a fast walk is it for me.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I just hate to run; walking, hiking, bike riding are fine. Do weights (as heavy as I can safely handle). B)
  • DebFromFortWorth
    DebFromFortWorth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Days away from 61, Started MFP 35 days ago, down about 15 lb. goal is to loose another 40 to 50. It's hard for me to do much more than walk due to a chronic illness.. I really want to eat Fried Chicken for my birthday, but don't know if I will :/ Would it be bad to go off my diet one day?
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 57. I joined MFP a few years ago and slowly lost 40 pounds. I do believe maintenance is harder than losing, as there are less rewards. I got tired of logging and gained 20 pounds. I'm holding at that and starting to log again as I think that is the key to success for me. Good luck. Actually I found that it was easier than I had anticipated to lose weight. Good luck and God Bless!

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @debnmike1974, it is really up to you. I have found that I could eat anything while losing as long as I logged it and compensated for it in another way - more exercise, less something else. Maybe a piece of fried chicken and some green beans or tomatoes. Don't think of this as a diet, but a journey. Have a Happy Birthday and congrats on your success!
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Days away from 61, Started MFP 35 days ago, down about 15 lb. goal is to loose another 40 to 50. It's hard for me to do much more than walk due to a chronic illness.. I really want to eat Fried Chicken for my birthday, but don't know if I will :/ Would it be bad to go off my diet one day?

It's a lifestyle not a diet. Of course you can have fried chicken just make sure its not a whole chicken!! Have fun on your day, it's my husbands tomorrow!!! He wants pizza, lord have mercy on me!!! Gayle Minneapolis
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!