55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday to your husband, Gayle. I hope you got to have a slice of pizza! Mercy rule applies :)
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Pizza; yum!!
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Been 4 months since I checked in. Took an hour to catch up. Welcome to all new ladies & gentleman.

Here's a radical concept ... Real Life Exercise. If you can do it you will burn calories. Vacuum, mop, laundry, cooking and food prep, painting, raking leaves ... CICO.

Not your thing? I would caution new exercisers to get knowledgeable counsel before starting an aggressive exercise program. A personal trainer, life coach are best, gym teachers next assuming you can put on the breaks when class exceeds your physical abilities.

During 25 years as a very fit gym rat I saw many young & old get "exercise fever" resulting in injury, chronic serious stress to knees, shoulders, hips and even overuse resulting in hip replacements (my bff).

Moderation in eating and exercise, balance between aerobic, weights & stretch should help you to lose that weight & regain your strength and endurance.
  • sus5n
    sus5n Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm 60 and have been using My Fitness Paul since July. Would like to lose 80 lb. Have lost 13. It's coming off sooo slowly. But I'm starting a Personal Trainer course at my work and I'm hoping the activity will speed up the weight loss. I'm doing 1000 cal a day - difficult, but it seems like that's what it takes to lose anything!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    sus5n wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm 60 and have been using My Fitness Paul since July. Would like to lose 80 lb. Have lost 13. It's coming off sooo slowly. But I'm starting a Personal Trainer course at my work and I'm hoping the activity will speed up the weight loss. I'm doing 1000 cal a day - difficult, but it seems like that's what it takes to lose anything!

Nice to have you. It is a little harder to lose as we age but it can be done. I have lost 40 lbs in the last 3 years with watching my calories in and upping my activities. Mainly walking. I do minimum of 10,000 steps a day with a Y spin or cardio class thrown in occasionally.

I love that I get so many compliments now and feel so much better. I just want to be healthier for my golden years. I am 68 but do not feel it. I am 6 lbs below my goal weight and am on maintenance since May 31.

Good luck and you have come to the right place for encouragement.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @vicky1947mfp you are an inspiration! My weight loss has been sooooo slow. I knew it would be harder as I got older but this is really tough for me. I too am making sure I get in 10000 steps a day plus a few workouts thrown in for good measure. The hardest part for me is my shift work. When I transition for night to day, I end up eating for 24 hours. I haven't hit on the right method for fixing this. Any night shifters out there that have a strategy let me know!!! But I am not discouraged, I know it will take time and I will be patient. I have lost 7 pounds since January with a goal of 30 pounds total. Slow and Steady!!!
  • supermimikins
    supermimikins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I am 61, new to MFP but not to dieting. I've lost/gained/lost/gained the same 50 lbs for the past 20 years using WW or whatever else was doable. On my last doctors appointment I was told that I am prediabetic. My sister has had Type 2 for 40 years and is currently on dialysis 3x a week as well as having congestive heart failure so I am well aware of the effects diabetes can have. I believe I can stop it in it's tracks by losing those 50 lbs (one more time) and being diligent with my diet. Is there somewhere on MFP that addresses this condition? I need some guidance on target daily carbs, sugars, proteins. In WW, almost all fruits and veggies are 0 points and you can eat all you want. But that is not possible for me now that I've been put on a 1200 calorie limit. Anyone have any words of wisdom for the rookie?
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    @vicky1947mfp you are an inspiration! My weight loss has been sooooo slow. I knew it would be harder as I got older but this is really tough for me. I too am making sure I get in 10000 steps a day plus a few workouts thrown in for good measure. The hardest part for me is my shift work. When I transition for night to day, I end up eating for 24 hours. I haven't hit on the right method for fixing this. Any night shifters out there that have a strategy let me know!!! But I am not discouraged, I know it will take time and I will be patient. I have lost 7 pounds since January with a goal of 30 pounds total. Slow and Steady!!!

You should get some helpful hints from some of our members who have a challenging work schedule such as yours. I can't speak to that but we all have "something "!!! :D
  • patty_36_2
    patty_36_2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 58 and a year ago was told I had to wear a dress to my daughter's wedding, a year away.. Oh Noooooo. So with a goal in site and prob about 100lb to lose, I started my diet. The wedding was a few weeks ago. I lost 75lb. Not my goal, but I was feeling so much better wearing a dress lol. I found it hard at first as I didn't have a diet buddy, but then found a walking partner, which I found was a great way to help lose weight and improve my health, we walk every night for an hour. The main problem I found was not the dieting but the "bat wings" and the baby belly I still have. I know its going to take time and a lot of work outs to tone them up, just wondered if anyone has any easy way to reduce them.. ...
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    patty_36_2 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 58 and a year ago was told I had to wear a dress to my daughter's wedding, a year away.. Oh Noooooo. So with a goal in site and prob about 100lb to lose, I started my diet. The wedding was a few weeks ago. I lost 75lb. Not my goal, but I was feeling so much better wearing a dress lol. I found it hard at first as I didn't have a diet buddy, but then found a walking partner, which I found was a great way to help lose weight and improve my health, we walk every night for an hour. The main problem I found was not the dieting but the "bat wings" and the baby belly I still have. I know its going to take time and a lot of work outs to tone them up, just wondered if anyone has any easy way to reduce them.. ...

Congrats to you. I am 68 and have lost 40 lbs. I am on maintenance now. I have same problem. I don't think I will ever get rid of my pooch or bat wings. They are smaller though. I try to do weights for the wings and core exercises for my stomach but I just can't do enough to get rid of either. But overall, I am happy with the way I look at my age.

My skin has lost elasticity I think and I am not vain enough to have surgery. I know some people need it for loose skin that is a hinderance to their activities.
  • Shelly8754
    Shelly8754 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hi,
    This is my first day/post, I'm 61 and have a great deal of weight to lose...about 170 pounds. I heard great things about my Fitness Pal from my Doc, and look forward to chatting and hearing about everyones success and challenges. Take Care all!

• sus5n
    sus5n Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So - yesterday I got a Fitbit Zip. I love it! But - yesterday was a fairly typical day for me and I got over 9,000 steps. According to the Zip, that translates to over 1600 calories. I'm eating 1,000. So why am I only losing about a pound every two weeks! Any ideas? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • minxie2014
    minxie2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    joann wrote: »
    Hi I will be 57 this month, I have been on mfp for years but I really have been logging everyday since March, so far I have lost 61 pounds and I have to admit I did little exercise. I have my calories set at 1200 and try most of the time to do low carbs, anyone can add me as a friend if you want.

• lampworker60
    lampworker60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Those of you that have lost and maintained are an inspiration to me. I have been here for years...sometimes successful and sometimes not so much so. Today I start anew. I had done very well for two months staying off of sugar and eating healthy wholesome foods. I lost 18 pounds. I let myself get off track due to some stressful situations and gained back 8 pounds in the last 30 days. I am more than just the stress in my life. I choose to get back to eating healthy. I have a total of 94 pounds I would like to lose, which leaves me with 84 pounds left to lose. I desire to get my strength and flexibility back too. therefore I will continue to walk on my breaks at work, add back my strength training yoga, and add whatever other workouts keep me moving and happy.

I'm 55 and have hot flashes that feel like a nuclear meltdown happening. I choose to stay away from hormone therapy (tried it for a short while)...welcome back hot flashes. I know that the hot flashes are not as intense when I am eating healthy...they don't go away, but they aren't Three Mile Island either. I have been lucky so far and don't have a lot of health related issues, no diabetes, no high blood pressure, etc. I do take two prescriptions and some supplements due to hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue, and chronic bronchitis. With the help of a couple of great doctors I am on the road to recovery after several years of chronic lung infections and being too tired to do much exercising. Time to eat healthy, lose the weight and get physically fit.
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, well I have been on here for about 4 yrs and still trying to loose 15 lbs, each yr instead of loosing I am gaining about 3-5 lbs. so the lbs needed to loose goes up. lol.
    I just turned 62 so I am starting over yet again and trying to loose 10 by Thanksgiving , maybe all of it ...that would be great to loose 15. My downfall is late night snacking...chips ...cant stay away from the chips and my husband is not a help to the problem , he brings out the chips and the popcorn and the wine . This time I need to be strong!!
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So - yesterday I got a Fitbit Zip. I love it! But - yesterday was a fairly typical day for me and I got over 9,000 steps. According to the Zip, that translates to over 1600 calories. I'm eating 1,000. So why am I only losing about a pound every two weeks! Any ideas? Doesn't make sense to me.

Just my thoughts. I highly doubt that you are burning 1600 calories. I'd recheck that or is that 1600 a week? I do a total body workout 3 days a week for 30 min keeping heart rate between 135 and 145 and I burn around 600 a session. As for calories, I think you are too low at 1000. I have a hard time losing weight also and I have been tracking my food to see if the scale would move. Yesterday I was at 1300 calories and nothing! The scale has been stuck for the past few weeks at 190.5 :( Today I will up my calories to 1500 and see if that helps. realistically I am supposed to be eating 1900 calories, 10 xs my weight but that scares me. I'm by far no expert or I wouldn't be struggling with weight like I am. I have been lifting weights for 17 years but until I lost the fat that covers the muscle, you would never believe that to be true. If you have access to a treadmill, try walking at a 3.5 pace on a 10 to 15% incline and see if that helps. So far I am down 18 lbs, but it took forever....Mary Ann
    P.S. I sort of hesitate to offer any advice because I don't want to seem pushy or offend anyone.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Fitbit is estimating non-moving calorie burn as BMR sleeping level calorie burn of average healthy body with your stats.

If yours is not an average healthy body, it could be estimating high.

So disease, health issues, even eating too low, can cause your body to adapt to the stress by burning less than it otherwise might.

Oh, moving calories is based on steps, which has a distance behind it, and distance and time as pace, and weight are very accurate calorie burn formulas for walking and running.

So you can confirm the moving part is best estimate by looking at daily graph that has 5 min blocks - confirm no huge blocks of bogus steps when you know you weren't walking.
    You can further help accuracy by manually entering in a stride length, which Fitbit then uses to estimate your per step stride length for arriving at moving calories burned.

Do you have your accounts synced so your eating level is based on your activity level?
    Do more you should eat more.

If you want to learn more about how Fitbit and MFP work together and what they are both doing - read through this. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good morning ladies, well I have been on here for about 4 yrs and still trying to loose 15 lbs, each yr instead of loosing I am gaining about 3-5 lbs. so the lbs needed to loose goes up. lol.
    I just turned 62 so I am starting over yet again and trying to loose 10 by Thanksgiving , maybe all of it ...that would be great to loose 15. My downfall is late night snacking...chips ...cant stay away from the chips and my husband is not a help to the problem , he brings out the chips and the popcorn and the wine . This time I need to be strong!!

If you set a reasonable weekly weight loss goal and have enough calories available for the day - can you include a serving or two of the chips and be satisfied with only that?
    Sounds like cutting them out doesn't work.
    Not sure how you cut hubby out with his "help".

I'll mention that 10 lbs in 8 weeks @ over 1 lbs / weekly with only 15 left to go to healthy weight - may not really reasonable - your body may fight against that by adapting most likely.
    Time based goals are hard enough as weight loss is not linear, but big goals even more so.
  • Bella65233
    Bella65233 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and have lost 123 lbs since March 2015. I still have a ways to go but I feel so much better.
  • lucky192
    lucky192 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful!! Great job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!