55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow @Bella65233 that's amazing! And I'm complaining about trying to lose 30. Only 23 to go. No time line, easy does it!
  • BelleMax
    BelleMax Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the thread and I love all the inspiration and education. Wow @Bella65233!! Congratulations for your hard work!
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Bella65233 wrote: »
    I am 61 and have lost 123 lbs since March 2015. I still have a ways to go but I feel so much better.

Wow!!!!!! 2015, any words of wisdom?? Congrats, you have done what most people dream of!!! Gayle Minneapolis
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Bella65233 wrote: »
    I am 61 and have lost 123 lbs since March 2015. I still have a ways to go but I feel so much better.

Wow!!!!!! 2015, any words of wisdom?? Congrats, you have done what most people dream of!!! Gayle Minneapolis

Did you have surgery??? I'm just amazed , you have more togo ??? I'm 65, have to lose 195, you are a inspiration!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • tinagiamei
    tinagiamei Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and new to MFP I'm hoping to lose 10lbs realistically if I lose more that will be great too. I'm not a big sweet eater but I LOVE bread and cheese so that will tough but i'll look to all of you for inspiration. :)
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    supermimikins, my husband was just diagnosed w/type 2 (he was also over weight) a few months ago. He went on a very low-carb diet (no starchy carbs, any sugars ending in ol, ose, etc. He has lost abt 25 lbs or so far, but still has to take meds. I'm not suggesting you do the same, but try cutting back on the starchy carbs (potatoes, white bread, etc.) and watch your sugar intake (naturally occurring & added) and it may help w/the weight loss. Good luck. B)
  • griffinca2
    Options
    P.S. I turn 65 on Sat and I just finished a 4.4 mile difficult hike up Yonah Mt. in GA.
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Griffinca2. You rock girl!! That is an awesome workout. I am 61 monday and you are an inspiration.
  • Bella65233
    Bella65233 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I walk every day. I keep my calories under 1200 a day. No soda of any kind only water and at least 8 glasses a day. I limit carbs. I also exercise to Richard Simmons dancing to the oldies.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I too have lost the same 50 or so pounds several times in my adult life. I retired at 55, and at that time I was fairly happy with my weight and health. Over the past two years I got sloppy with my eating habits, and, although I stayed healthy and active, the pounds packed on. Those darn margaritas and potluck suppers! Anyway, here I was, fat again. On July 30th, I decided I didn't want to turn 60 in April and be this big, or bigger! I was a snug size 16 and very unhappy. Today I went shopping and found a pair of capri's to replace the ones that I can now pull over my hips still zippered. They must fit big, but they still say size 10. I haven't worn that size since my mid -thirties. I think I have about 20 pounds until I reach what the charts say should be my midrange ideal weight, but I'm trying to focus on non scale indicators. Through learning how to manage my cravings and focus on healthful foods, I am confident this is the new me who will eat to live, not live to eat....
  • DebFromFortWorth
    DebFromFortWorth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ended up having nice lean sliced beef form a popular Bar-b-q place, It was wonderful. Shared a slice of chocolate cake with my husband.. So good.. Went a little over but I am OK with it :)
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi, to all the new people and want to suggest that, if you haven't already, read the following posts as they are very helpful in learning how to manage your weight loss in a realistic way.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide#latest

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

And finally, check this thread out:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177910/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

These are must reads for new people and those of us who have been here awhile who need to refresh our weight loss strategies. Patience, and understanding about how weight loss works, makes for a happier and more productive experience. I find I have to go back again and again to these great threads whenever I get frustrated and unmotivated.

Happy trails!

• Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the helpful advice and motivational stories about weight loss and exercise!! You women are so strong and wise!
    However, We need to be mindful of food addiction. For me, it is counter productive to hear about specific, high caloric food choices on this journey. Trying to stay the course! Eating healthy, one day at a time!
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I make losing weight alot harder than it has to be . I had been sitting on 1200 calories and losing nothing. I was working out (total body workouts) up until this week due to lower back and still losing nothing. A few days ago I started to up my calories. First to 1300 and now I am at 1500. Realistically I should be at 1900 but to me that's scary. Anyway my weight is finally starting to move in the right direction after for a month. If it again stalls out I will increase it by another 200. My long term goal is to lose 50 lbs. For now I'll take 10. I am 63 and have been lifting weights for 17 years. I'm great at that, now if I could just get the weight off :D
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    With apologies to @kikelly7, for a lot of us, moderation is key. Alcohol, chips, even pizza can be enjoyed while losing and maintaining weight. I'm 56 years old and have lost 66 lbs. since October 2014 so it can be done at our age. I started out walking every day and bought an inexpensive elliptical/stationary bike for crummy weather. I still exercise on that machine every morning. I added strength training with Jessicasmith on youtube in the spring (woo hoo - muscles!). I recently started running and am surprised how much I love it! I hadn't exercised more than walking to the mailbox or grocery shopping in years. Thanks to my doctor for telling about MFP last year. OK, I have babbled long enough. Happy almost Autumn everybody.
    Options
    kikelly7 wrote: »
    I really appreciate all the helpful advice and motivational stories about weight loss and exercise!! You women are so strong and wise!
    However, We need to be mindful of food addiction. For me, it is counter productive to hear about specific, high caloric food choices on this journey. Trying to stay the course! Eating healthy, one day at a time!

Please read "don't diet live it workbook " . This is one tool we used in ED rehab. Gayle Minneapolis
  • BelleMax
    BelleMax Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you @trina1049 for the excellent links. They were very helpful!!!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that much to lose but when I first started tracking my calories I was quite shocked at how much I was eating. Took off the weight and best purchase ever, got myself a fitbit! I'm 61y.o. and quite competitive so the fitness challenges on fitbit have been a lot of fun, keep the weight off, toned me more than I have been in years AND I can eat ;-)
  • griffinca2
    Options
    kikelly7, many thanks! B)
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Believe it or not, I have these jeans that my grandmother & I tie-dyed in her bathtub back in the day; I can still get them on and zipped. I wasn't able to do that earlier this year (packed on a few lbs & inches). Anyway I started using a locally-owned gym three days a week of weights and 15 - 20 min of cardio, watching what I was eating and the inches & lbs came off. Still need to work on my leg strength and body fat % but Rome wasn't built in a day; I'll get there. Don't need to lose any more weight; just increase my muscle mass (which by the way burns calories). B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!