55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Congrats @thisnewmenow; you'll make it! hope your plantar fasciitis gets better soon. B)
  • bunnyhugger2015
    bunnyhugger2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ugh, @thisnewmenow plantar fasciitis can be disabling - and overdoing it can set you right back to square one. Btw, I keep reading your name as thisnewmeow, lol.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Amazing stories. I am 65 and have lost 36 pounds back and forth over a year and a half. I am now determined to lose 22 more pounds to get to my goal weight. One thing I have noticed since I have gotten older, the weight seems to stay the same for what seems like a long time, because I am impatient, and then finally I will lose another pound. I just keep on logging and trying to stay within my calorie allotment. My daughter and I try to walk 4 to 5 days a week for at least an hour at a time. I have walked two 5 K's this year with family members and that was a lot of fun. I, like everyone else could use a little encouragement.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    So great to see all the new people posting to this thread! I've been maintaining this summer even though my goal is to continue losing. Still, I'm grateful that I have figured out how to stop from gaining by weighing every day and eating below maintenance if I see a gain. Hoping to lose this month and continue the downward trend. Some of the habits I thought I'd conquered are right there waiting to grab ahold again if I don't stay focused. It really is a lifetime commitment to not get fat again.

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    So great to see all the new people posting to this thread! I've been maintaining this summer even though my goal is to continue losing. Still, I'm grateful that I have figured out how to stop from gaining by weighing every day and eating below maintenance if I see a gain. Hoping to lose this month and continue the downward trend. Some of the habits I thought I'd conquered are right there waiting to grab ahold again if I don't stay focused. It really is a lifetime commitment to not get fat again.

Yeah, have to agree with you, Sodakat! I'm still in a downward trend although very, very slowly with only about 4 to 6lbs to go, if I can. I've been at a healthy BMI for about 6 months now and have to weigh and log everyday but so grateful for the 49lbs gone! Turning 66 soon and want to keep healthy and active.
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm 56 and have lost 30 lbs so far. I feel amazing. Can't believe how much of a difference that has made. I still need to lose some(40-50 more). But, I'm off insulin
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm 56 and have lost 30 lbs so far. I feel amazing. Can't believe how much of a difference that has made. I still need to lose some(40-50 more). But, I'm off insulin

Great work.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well friends no loss this week. Not sure if I'm not recording accurately or not exercising enough or what. I do know I have to be way more patient with myself. I also have to embrace feeling hungry a little which I don't like at all. The slow and steady will win but I get itchy at times for more instant success. :(
  • thisnewmenow
    thisnewmenow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jules6669mfp - What great news that you no longer need insulin!!! Congratulations!!!!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    krenwren, You're going to have week(s) where you don't lose anything. I stayed stuck at 125 for abt three weeks then the weight loss started again. You may have to re-adjust your macros (carbs, fat, protein); also your sugar intake. You may be eating more sugar than you think (natural/added); I keep mine set in MFP to 45 gm and try to eat between 45 & 60 gm a day. B)
  • tzaug2
    tzaug2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    is this group still open? if so, Please include me, I don't see any current posts..?
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Hi, very hard to know hunger n full clues. Great book "the appetite awareness workbook ". Would really advise getting n using. Amazon has it , can buy used for 4 bucks. Gayle Minneapolis
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Sometimes when you think you're hungry you are actually thirsty--try drinking a glass of water and if you're still hungry have some low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat string cheese, or some plain almonds. Don't use non-fat because they usually load it up with some kind of sugar to make it taste better; and sometimes full-fat may be better for you. B)
  • krenwren
    Options
    Thanks all for the encouragement! Sugar is my demon, I'm trying to keep to under 60.
  • thisnewmenow
    thisnewmenow Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    krenwren, are you eating small meals throughout the day?? Skipping meals can actually slow or stop weight loss. Eating several small meals throughout the day will keep your metabolism going, regulate your blood sugar and help with weight loss. It will also help you from feeling so hungry during the day. :)
  • krenwren
    Options
    i think my metabolism is really super slow. I also work nights and I don't get much sleep. I think that's the number one difficulty I face. I am trying to set my clock to midnight to start my day. I am also going to try to limit my calories to 1400 a day with 50 gms of sugar as a limit. I also won't count my exercise calorie credit. I work out vigorously for 3 times a week. This is my new plan and I think it should work.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    krenwren, are you eating small meals throughout the day?? Skipping meals can actually slow or stop weight loss. Eating several small meals throughout the day will keep your metabolism going, regulate your blood sugar and help with weight loss. It will also help you from feeling so hungry during the day. :)

Totally agree. I like small meals do I never have that Sick stuffed feeling.
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello. Enjoying this thread. We are all so different and it is difficult to say what is the best plan. Lately I have been reading small frequent meals or 3 regular meals doesnt really matter. Experiment with what works for you. I am close to 61 and I am losing steadily but very slowly. 1200 calories a day , sugar under 45 ( on good days) exercise every day and I cannot count my exercise calories. This regimen is only affording me a 1 lb loss a week but thats what I have to do at my age.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kren - I work 3 rotating shifts; took me a while but on nights I figured out that for me, i just removed all the meal titles and just had one section in my diary for that week.. called it "what i ate today" and just logged everything from the time I woke up til the next morning when i went to bed.. (and like you i dont sleep much so i am often up and down a few times during my "day"). I didn't split up anything just kept logging.. even tho there are times (like the first shift where i'm up all day and then up all night lol) where my diary was well over my cals for the day it didn't matter cause I knew over the week it would average out calorie intake wise fine.. just passing it on in case it helps as nites are a tuff time for me - hard to face tuna at 3am lol!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    KimofTas wrote: »
    I'm 40 so I don't totally understand your position however wouldn't you just eat at a deficit if you have more weight to lose? You don't necessarily need to exercise in large amounts to lose weight is what I understand from tracking cals and all of the info on forum here.

@KimofTas between age 40 and age 65 some of the weight loss factors change even for we males and sometimes even more more so for females. Most all cell activity is starting into decline as programmed cellular death become more noticeable. Yes we have to eat at least at a slight deficit to lose weight. I do not know why but my body's abilities to handle carbs really decreased and they created havoc with my health. It has been nearly a year since I cut of food containing sugar and grain. My weight has come down very slowly but for some reasons I lost inches when there was no scale movement up or down.

Now at 64 my body just does not respond to food the same way it did when I was 40.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!