55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Hi; I'm 64 and have lost 10 lbs (128/9 to 118/9) since February (this year). I'm now just starting on what they call "Recomposition;" losing body fat while increasing muscle mass. Basically, you eat at maintenance and lift as heavy as you can. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, this sounds good! Yes, please keep us posted. I've been weight lifting all along and am almost to maintenance and want to lift heavier to recomp.
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone ---

60 years old and finding it much more difficult to exercise and lose weight. It just isn't happening like it used to. But MFP plus walking has made all the difference for me. I lost ~45 lbs 15 years ago, but with a recent move back to TX I regained around 25 lbs. Great Mexican food and Blue Bell ice cream! On my 5'3" frame that means going from size 8 to size 16!! So I'm back in the game :wink:

All to the best to you all ~~~
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    griffin - thank you -- I'll read about composition. Have a good weekend. Jean
  • tgibbs281
    tgibbs281 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great group to have here! I am 56 and post-menopause for 10 years now, following surgery for cancer and endometriosis. Also have hypothyroidism, probably due to genetics and my years of under-eating. I have decided that I am not trying to lose 'weight' anymore, but to lose body fat. I've had great success with lifting weights, tracking steps, light cardio. And I feel terrific! But yes, it is so much harder these days. Nice group of encouraging ladies! We can do it!!! :)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have hit my goal weight and would like to recomp. I have a couple sets of dumbbells and have been working out to some strength videos on youtube. Actually, I have seen some results! This is a good thing since I live in a rural area and the nearest gym is maybe 1/2 hour away. Hubby not too keen on buying a weight machine, lol.
  • L_Cass
    L_Cass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 51 and almost 2 years into menopause. Last cycle was July 2013 - got married Sept 2013 and two months later had gained 10 lbs! Since then I have kept that 10 lbs on and struggled (really struggled) to not gain more. I *hate* counting calories so I tried everything else.... paleo/primal, fast metabolism diet, intermittent fasting, cutting carbs, I even did a mail order food program to the tune of $150/week for 6 weeks..... and lost NOTHING. I would lose a pound or two but it would always come right back and then some.

So here I am back on MFP doing the only thing that's ever truly worked for me - counting calories! I am back to basics, calories in, calories out, while mixing it with some cardio and weight lifting - and already after only a week feel better.

You ladies are a huge huge inspiration for me - thank you! Keep up the amazing work! It truly is harder after menopause - I never thought it would be but it absolutely is. Thank you for letting me know that it can be done.
  • MarlaRFulton
    MarlaRFulton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks! I'm 59 yo this month and just starting tracking again. Lost 80+ lbs 13 years ago but finds its more difficult the older I get. I am a "lower carb" whole foods girl but lg portions and cheat meals are creeping too often into my habits. I don't need 3 or even 2 scrambled eggs...1 is enough! Gotta watch the fruit, tho. Too much sugar of any kind can ignite my appetite!
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Hello to people who have decided to get back in the health and fitness arena. And to those in maintenance stage, you're inspiring us! I read today 60% of American adults over 60 are overweight. I just don't want to be on the wrong side of that stat! Best wishes extended to all of us. Participated in a Tai Chi class today at community center since I have the day off. The timing won't work for me during work days, but found the class intriguing. I may find a beginner DVD. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Keep moving! Jean
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Tai chi @jeanlake ? Keep us posted, please. That sounds interesting!
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Tai Chi is balance & energy. Instructor looks so graceful and best guess -- we visited every joint in the body! Please try it if you get a chance. Even Intro DVD is good. Pleasant day to all. We've had interesting weather movements here in the Midwest. Tornadic activity that we usually find in late spring. Sirens sounded 3 times this week. Auntie Em! Weather should improve soon. How's the weather for everyone else?
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    jeanlake wrote: »
    Tai Chi is balance & energy. Instructor looks so graceful and best guess -- we visited every joint in the body! Please try it if you get a chance. Even Intro DVD is good. Pleasant day to all. We've had interesting weather movements here in the Midwest. Tornadic activity that we usually find in late spring. Sirens sounded 3 times this week. Auntie Em! Weather should improve soon. How's the weather for everyone else?

Tai Chi sounds wonderful. Click your heels three times and join us here in sunny South Florida! Hot, steamy, and it's hurricane season too although it probably won't crank into gear until September, October, and November. Oh, joy!
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Balance? Grace? I probably would be the one sneaking in late and out early B) Then again, maybe I should give it a go.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on Taoist Tai Chi. I chose Tai Chi for stress relief mostly. There are different forms of Tai Chi. I take two classes a week and try to practice everyday. Yes, you will see me in a park or by a lake at sunrise! :) With Taoist Tai Chi, you pay a membership fee rather than classes. You can then attend as many classes as you like anywhere you can find a Taosist Tai Chi group worldwide. In my area, there are classes somewhere, 6 days a week, morning, afternoon, and evenings all over the area. The instructors volunteer their time.

It is a great moving meditation, although slow and controlled, once you learn the entire set (108 moves), your heart will be beating as if having done a cardio exercise. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the rhythm. My balance has improved tremendously (you have controlled kicks done very slowly that are almost like standing still with one leg extended) and my feelings of relaxation and well-being are notable. When doing alone, you tap into an inner rhythm/energy or your Chi. The movements become mesmerizing as you go through the set. When with a group, a group energy is created. You seem to tap into that somehow. That is why people continue to take classes even after learning the moves. It takes about 3 months to learn the entire set and about a year or so to remember the order of all 108 moves without thinking about it and to really feel comfortable for most people.

At first, it really seems hard and I wasn't sure it was for me. I stuck with it anyway and something just "clicked" one day and I loved it. My two friends who joined with me both quit after a few weeks.

Even after a day of work, an 1 1/2 hour Tai Chi class, will refresh/energize me enough to then go to the gym for my cardio workout after! It is a great form of movement for those with impaired movement or various health conditions.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I am a 53 year old 4'11" lady. I started Jan 2014 and failed. Started in March 2015 and have lost 36 lbs. I am now 114 lbs.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Wow- you all have inspired me so much. I am just turned 55 years old in June. I am 25 lbs over my goal weight. I have just started MFP this last month and now FINALLY I see some downward movement in the scale. It is finally going down- very slowly but surely. I am so happy to hear about others weight loss- makes me know that I CAN do it too-
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    Hello ladies. I am a 53 year old 4'11" lady. I started Jan 2014 and failed. Started in March 2015 and have lost 36 lbs. I am now 114 lbs.

That is awesome. I have lost the same amount. But I weigh 126 and am 5'2". I am happy with my weight now but may lose a couple more. We'll see.
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Hello good people. Haven't checked in for a while. Covering maternity leave for a cohort at work, plus my work, and I'm hopping. Enjoyed reading your comments about progress and movement. I'm beginning to receive compliments -- losing at a rate of 2 lbs a month. However, I have a plan, more fit than I have been in quite a while and it feels great.

Regarding recent Tai Chi statements: I realized, when taking the Tai Chi class I need work on balance. I'm in awe of the graceful strength I see in that class. It's almost like a controlled dance. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take as many classes while working due to scheduling. I'm an absolute fan, though. And as we're learning -- we keep rotating and combining our activities for best results.

I take a Saturday morning, 8am, yoga with weights class. Love the routine and instructor. However, I need your collective advice. Stephanie (60ish) (just met her and no reason I should know everything about her life) talks throughout the class. There isn't one grunt or sigh or comment that she contains. Stephanie doesn't work, but I do and my class options are limited. I noticed Stephanie walked into the Thursday evening energetic Fitness Fusion class that I love and displayed the same talking behavior. She would even stop her movements, while the rest of us were moving fast, just to tell a personal story or share weather conditions with us. I want to be sensitive, and assessed that she isn't developmentally challenged. I don't think she's had a stroke or is in the throws of dementia, but I wouldn't know for sure. In hallway, I asked yoga instructor if she could turn music up or perhaps we could have a quieter environment with background noise. Well, it's a community center so..... everyone is welcome. I may bring in ear plugs -- but I do like the instructor and class routine.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Jean
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    "Stephanie, please, I'm trying to concentrate."

Please tell her this when she starts talking.
  • klmadore975
    klmadore975 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 53 and on hypothyroid medicine and need to loose over 100 lbs. Also before I develop diabetes, which I where I'm headed if I don't loose this weight. Also recently lost my Father to Alzheimer's and that has scared me to start this journey. Tired of being sick and tired, want to feel healthy again. I like the comments on this thread... looking forward to reading more and succeeding with this support.
  • bwilk18
    bwilk18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow this is the group I've been looking for. I posted a discussion last month terrified that after gaining back a bunch of weight I lost premenopause that I wouldn't be able to lose it postmenopause-I'm 57 and gained almost20 pounds back in 8 months of non-tracking. It comes back soooo fast. I've been tracking faithfully since the beginning of June and working out (doing Leslie Sansone walking videos) and am down 6 pounds - whew!! Just succumbed and got a fitbit - also am in a family group with my 2 adult daughters,we're losing it together, but I am a junkie for support so this is great reading all of your success stories!! We can do it even after the hormones leave our bodies!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!