55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    jeanlake wrote: »
    jewels - laughed out loud with your boho style comment. I like the idea of it, too, but it doesn't always wear well on petite ladies. I'm really enjoying the new active wear styles that are popular now.

I just seem like a person who looks like she's dressing up in someone else's clothes or hairstyle most the time. ~sigh~~ I used to try putting my hair up like a good friend's--she looked casually elegant, I looked like a frump. & I was a hairstylist, so I was doing it right; it was just the rest of me that wasn't quite right. :-p I'm hoping being thinner will help with that! Gotta work on the self confidence factor I think. Noticing that men are noticing me has helped with that a little. Nothing like feeling you're invisible to skewer your self esteem.
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi Jewels. I remember reading attributes men find attractive in women, of any age, is confidence, a great smile and a sense of humor. Taking care of our minds, bodies and spirits should result in all of these. I still have weight to lose, but it's nice not to gasp for air when I take stairs, instead of elevator. I also enjoy feeling 'tighter' in my clothes. Less jiggles. I'm looking forward to 1 -- maybe 2 sizes smaller in pants/trousers/jeans. I'll get there. Slowly. Smiling along the way that I began this healthier journey. I know you are as well. Sending you positive thoughts. Jean
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Hi Jewels. I remember reading attributes men find attractive in women, of any age, is confidence, a great smile and a sense of humor. Taking care of our minds, bodies and spirits should result in all of these. I still have weight to lose, but it's nice not to gasp for air when I take stairs, instead of elevator. I also enjoy feeling 'tighter' in my clothes. Less jiggles. I'm looking forward to 1 -- maybe 2 sizes smaller in pants/trousers/jeans. I'll get there. Slowly. Smiling along the way that I began this healthier journey. I know you are as well. Sending you positive thoughts. Jean

Jean, well said. I have experienced many of these same things. Here's to the journey, stay strong! Di
  • CX24
    CX24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm a young 66 moving toward retirement and enjoying my garden. It gets so hot in Tennessee! I'm tired of becoming overheated so quickly - thinking losing weight will help. I'm 5'2" and 130 lbs - goal is 120. Using FitBit and Garmin Vivofit (step tracker) to keep track - but results are incremental. Calorie goal 1250 and macros
  • joahart49
    joahart49 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello PianoRun! I'll be turning 60 in a few months & have lost 30 pounds since joining MFP in April. Slow but steady & even though I see lots of folks reporting incredible amounts of weight loss in short periods of time, I believe us more mature gals experience weight loss at a slower rate & that's perfectly fine with me.

Add me as a friend if you'd like!

All the best.
    barby6011 wrote: »
    Hi Girls, I'm 67 so far I have lost 9lbs. Glad to find this group, because it is a challenge to lose at this age. I have a lot of physical challenges. Hip and valve replacement plus a pace maker. Pretty much chronic bionic. Lol good luck all

• jeanlake
    Options
    Hello good people. Sounds like we're all heading in the right direction. Down in the dumps a bit this weekend. Had to shake it off. Been working out faithfully and not going over my 1300/day caloric intake. I'm petite and that's about right for me. No weight loss after a couple of weeks, but I did add more weight training - doc suggested. Back to not weighing in often! Works for me. Not going to get discouraged. Summer's here -- let's all enjoy it to the fullest!
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello good people. Sounds like we're all heading in the right direction. Down in the dumps a bit this weekend. Had to shake it off. Been working out faithfully and not going over my 1300/day caloric intake. I'm petite and that's about right for me. No weight loss after a couple of weeks, but I did add more weight training - doc suggested. Back to not weighing in often! Works for me. Not going to get discouraged. Summer's here -- let's all enjoy it to the fullest!
    I got hubby to hide my scales because I would weigh every day, get disillusioned and compensate with bad food. I have the scales back after two months and I'm no longer obsessed. I've found that unless I exercise I basically stay the same weight. I've moved my rarely used exercise bike to the bedroom so it's the first thing I see after the alarm. I get 15 minutes out of the way and it keeps me focused the rest of the day. I've only been doing it for a week but I've lost 1.4 kg.
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I just turned 56 and been on MFP for 3 months. Lost 23lbs and need to lose another 50. I'd like to talk with others my age and offer support. We can do this
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Kudos to all -- sounds like you have a plan, you're sticking with it and making progress. I don't eat meat -- my choice -- so I must be getting lazy and eating too many carbs. Will purpose to add fruit & vegetables & nuts. Again, congratulations on your progress. Have a beautiful week.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi, I haven't checked in for awhile so I thought I'd offer to accept friend requests from anyone interested in working on fitness/weight goals together, if not, no worries. I've been on MFP over a year and a half now, down 47 pounds and moving toward maintenance. Happy to see that this thread is still moving along with such lovely people. Nice to meet all the new people and hello again to everyone else.

Regards,

Trina
  • jules6669mfp
    Options
    Kudos to all -- sounds like you have a plan, you're sticking with it and making progress. I don't eat meat -- my choice -- so I must be getting lazy and eating too many carbs. Will purpose to add fruit & vegetables & nuts. Again, congratulations on your progress. Have a beautiful week.

I do eat some meat but not much. I know that I eat too many carbs(so yummy tho). My protein is always low. Don't like vegetables much either. I do eat salads but they get old quick. We can do this. We just have to come up with some healthy filling meals.
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Happy Friday. Fridays and weekends mean something different to me now that I'm a retired educator and working part time. Sent out some friend requests to those active on board.

Jules, I've been eating a lot of hearty vegetable soup. Lower in calories, tasty, but can be high in sodium. Home made seems healthier. I know what you mean about salads getting old. In summer I like to slice strawberries and throw in cashews -- anything to change it up! Have a lovely weekend, ladies. Keep moving!

Enjoy your sunshine in Florida, Trina. Husband and I have a trip planned to Dunedin in fall. Just to look around at snow bird options in the near future. Jean
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I'm always game for a salad. My go-to salad for the last year has been sun dried tomatoes, blue cheese and Hellman's balsamic vinegairette (60 cals for 2 T but NOT diet stuff) on leafy greens. The sweet/fat/salt do it for me every time and for about 225 calories it is very rewarding. I get the 32oz jug of dressing and leave it at room temperature, as recommended by Hellman's.

55835802.png
  • jules6669mfp
    Options
    Jean......hearty vegetable soup sounds yummy. That's a great meal for me(and I can get some veggies in). I hear you on the sodium, but my BP has been good so once in awhile will be ok
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday. Fridays and weekends mean something different to me now that I'm a retired educator and working part time. Sent out some friend requests to those active on board.

Jules, I've been eating a lot of hearty vegetable soup. Lower in calories, tasty, but can be high in sodium. Home made seems healthier. I know what you mean about salads getting old. In summer I like to slice strawberries and throw in cashews -- anything to change it up! Have a lovely weekend, ladies. Keep moving!

Enjoy your sunshine in Florida, Trina. Husband and I have a trip planned to Dunedin in fall. Just to look around at snow bird options in the near future. Jean

Jean, that's so funny that you're heading to Dunedin. That town is on our list to look over too because South Florida is becoming way too crowded for us. LOL.
  • jmccaher
    jmccaher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just turned 56 and have struggled with weight all my life. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and early diabetes due to obesity at 243lbs at 5'8. I started logging calories and walking/weights and lost 43 lbs in 2 years. I was able to get off all meds with perfect blood pressure and blood sugar and was very happy. So happy that I stopped logging calories and had less consistency in exercise. I found myself last month at 222 and don't even want to go to get a check up as I am sure I know the answer. So I started counting calories and logging exercise with mfp three weeks ago and have lost 7 lbs just with this discipline. I am eating around 1500 calories per day and burning around 300 calories each day with exercise. I appreciate all the stories and support. We all just need to stay at it and stay consistent. Good luck!
  • jules6669mfp
    Options
    I truely understand what you're going through and feeling. I just turned 56 too(may 3).. So far, I've lost 24 lbs. I was on insulin and diabetes meds, 2 meds for high blood pressure, crestor for high cholesterol and Zoloft for depression. After not too much of a weight loss, at my physical my doctor took me OFF insulin, off one of the pills for diabetes, lowered my BP meds and I decided to get off the Zoloft(with doctors approval,and because I felt so much mentally better). The creator was cut in half and take it every other day(mostly due to side effects). I am still on meds for chronic pain though. Needless to say, I'm thrilled especially to be off insulin!!
    Be proud of yourself for stepping up and getting back to calorie counting and logging what you eat. I know how easy it is to put the weight back on(after years of yo-yo dieting). I find this a way of life. Healthier eating and not dieting. You can do this!!! Congratulations on your weight loss. Would like friends my age so if you want add me.
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!