People just don't get it...

Options

Replies

• SCMclaughlin
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from! I work with people who eat out every day. (Today is Chipotle!) They are all young, single and work out constantly. I'm a married woman and considerably older and I run, but I'm overweight. They invite me all the time. I choose when I will go with them and watch what I eat carefully. WHITE CASTLE? Nope. Not a place I would eat ordinarily, so I give you credit for sticking with your program. When you are done, you won't even remember
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Next time ask them how many miles they are gonna run to burn off the lard in those White Castles!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    Muddy_Yogi wrote: »
    You could just admit you have no will power.

Why is that the go to opinion for some people on this site?

in the end, we are ultimately responsible for what we do to our bodies.

because admitting that is one of the first steps to making a real difference and many people would like to skip facing that reality - even though facing it is the best possible idea.

and we all know that recognizing a problem is the first step to correcting it!

I don't disagree.

So...why would anyone assume that is the OP's (or anyone's) problem whenever they say something like this?

If someone refuses to go near a restaurant with friends to spend time together for a social outing because they cannot guarantee that they won't eat badly, it seems as though they dont trust themselves to make the right decisions and would sacrifice time with people they care about instead.

we see this all the time on MFP

"I cant spend time with my girlfriends anymore because they go to restaurants that serve unhealthy options."

whereas someone who spends time and effort working on building their willpower would say something along the lines of, 'my friends and i are going out to eat tonight, and they want fast food so Im eating before I go out! that way if Im tempted, I wont overdo it!'

the connection to lack of willpower is made by noting whether an OP is scared of themselves overdoing it. if you are scared you are going to go nuts, it's because you don't trust your self-control. And not having enough self-control is hand in hand with not having enough willpower.

that's all.

there's also nothing wrong with diagnosing yourself as willpowerless!!! sucking at something is the first step toward being kinda okay at something!

no one can look down at you for being honest with yourself either :flowerforyou:

I see what you're saying. But that's not at all the case with this guy. He's said he does eat out. He's not refusing to go to restaurants and scared to be near certain foods. And he said he's spends other time with them. He's just annoyed they constantly ask him to go eat at certain places.

I have lunch food ready to eat a work daily, when someone comes in and says "lunch on the boss, let's order Chinese," I do get a moment of frustration. Not because I can't find something appropriate to eat at the restaurant or don't have the willpower to sit around certain food; but because I already planned everything out and it's annoying to go switching up your diary and trying to figure out how to hit macros. Luckily it doesn't happen that often so I just adjust. But if it was a constant, I can see where the frustration comes from.

Not everyone's problem is willpower. Some people just prefer to keep what they planned.

If you expand the previous posts, you'll see that the question I was answering was
    So...why would anyone assume that is the OP's (or anyone's) problem whenever they say something like this?

and that my response to the actual OP was
    well done on standing up to your personal brand of temptation and doing what you personally need to do to stay on the program you have committed to!

so I hope that clears that up. I didn't say the OP had no willpower. I said why some people might make a connection between situations like this one, and lack of or low willpower (neither of which is awful or unfixable).

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    beavislong wrote: »
    My friends were all going to White Castle today(insert any restaurant on any given day) and were giving me grief for not joining them. I looked at the nutrtition and was like no way. It is horrible there. I can eat my homemade low sodium soup, my veggies and my orange and have 5 times as much food for less than the calories of two sliders not to mention the nutrition benefits. They are like well you can run an extra few miles tonight. Yes, I could but I already have 9 miles planned as a part of my marathon training.

Oh and all of the people going are overweight. Wonder why?

Sorry just ranting. Stay vigilant friends!

It isn't about food, it's about friendship. People don't ask you to eat because they want you to eat, but because they want to spend time with you. Tell them that you'll go, but you won't eat because it would mess up what you are doing for training.

This is how I handle it. I try to focus on the friends/family I'm with, and on the conversation and good vibes. I pass on the food for the same reason you stated. I no longer feel I have to explain or apologize. I made it through the holidays without gaining a pound --that's a nice change for me-- yet still enjoyed the gatherings and get-togethers. It just takes a little mind-tweaking to get there.
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    To me it doesn't seem like the OP is scared. It seems like he is annoyed that his friends aren't respecting his boundaries. I am annoyed that some people on this forum want to jump straight to "the OP has no will power"

no idea, I answered your hypothetical question about what signs tell you someone (anyone, not necessarily this OP, you specified) might be struggling with willpower. I didnt say this guy had none.

my response to the OP, word for word, was:
    well done on standing up to your personal brand of temptation and doing what you personally need to do to stay on the program you have committed to!

Yes, I wasn't specifically talking about you (although the way I worded it does seem like that). My apologies, I will try to be more concise :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    To me it doesn't seem like the OP is scared. It seems like he is annoyed that his friends aren't respecting his boundaries. I am annoyed that some people on this forum want to jump straight to "the OP has no will power"

Same here. And, asking WHY he "can't" eat at White Castle. He CAN if he chose to. He chose NOT to. Why question that?

I didnt say the OP was scared. I answered a hypothetical question she posted about 'any person' and then she responded that my answer didn't fit the OP and then I facedesked.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yeah peer pressure sucks. My father of all people, will offere me a beer when I get home from work (they watch my kids for us all day) and if I say no that's okay, he'll say Oh come on, you can have just one.

Yes, I know I could have one, I just don't really want one. It's not worth the 150 calories.

You just have to stay strong and stay firm. NO THANKS.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ketorach wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Exactly! You realize you're screwing yourself up and so you decide to take care of yourself instead, and people will then work very hard to sabotage and derail you and destroy all your hard work.

I got rid of some "friends" who were trying to do that to me in another situation. They were all happy with me when I was in an abusive relationship, but when I got rid of that loser and started dating Phil, and we got serious, they started being @$$hats, dogging on him, uninviting him from things, etc. The man who has been a wonderful part of my life and done right by me in every way, they wanted me to get rid of him. He's very sweet and a people pleaser... there's no rational reason for it. So I got rid of these "friends" instead and now Phil and I are happily married. *fist pump*

Most of my friends have learned by now that if I say I am not eating fast food or junk, I will not be moved. If they insist that the earth will explode if we don't all go to the grease pit, and I'm in a group where I can't bail on them, then I will order a cup of coffee. Period. Why are people whack like this??? It's so much more fun when Gothchiq is fat, because then we can tell her how she needs to lose weight, oh but when she does just that, we want to get her fat again so we can have someone to be skinnier than. NOPE NOPE NOPE so much nope.
    Wow, I would say you still need new friends. This is not normal behavior for real friendship.

Thumbs up.
    I'm not so sure it's the friends that are the issue. Sounds more like the OP has some kind of martyrdom complex.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Why in the world did people flag the OP's post? This is getting out of hand.

OP, I'm with you. I hate having to spend a lot of calories on something I just don't feel like eating. It doesn't mean I don't eat burgers or cheesecake or pizza, just that I do it when *I* want to. I don't enjoy food if I feel obligated to eat it because there's no other option, and when it's a high calorie food, it makes me grumpy...

I'm not familiar with the options at White Castle though, so I don't know if I'd want to spend the calories on that or not.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You know what I find ridiculous...

My gym is planet fitness. On the first Monday of every month, they have pizza night.

Wtf? This is a gym... Why are you push pizza on me? Do we have black tar heron Friday?

Because you can incorporate pizza into your diet and still lose weight/be healthy. It's all about moderation.

Yes, but serving it AT the gym is beyond ridiculous. But, they are a for-profit business, so whatever it takes to get memberships and people in the door they'll do it.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

in the end, we are ultimately responsible for what we do to our bodies.

because admitting that is one of the first steps to making a real difference and many people would like to skip facing that reality - even though facing it is the best possible idea.

and we all know that recognizing a problem is the first step to correcting it!

I don't disagree.

If someone refuses to go near a restaurant with friends to spend time together for a social outing because they cannot guarantee that they won't eat badly, it seems as though they dont trust themselves to make the right decisions and would sacrifice time with people they care about instead.

we see this all the time on MFP

"I cant spend time with my girlfriends anymore because they go to restaurants that serve unhealthy options."

whereas someone who spends time and effort working on building their willpower would say something along the lines of, 'my friends and i are going out to eat tonight, and they want fast food so Im eating before I go out! that way if Im tempted, I wont overdo it!'

the connection to lack of willpower is made by noting whether an OP is scared of themselves overdoing it. if you are scared you are going to go nuts, it's because you don't trust your self-control. And not having enough self-control is hand in hand with not having enough willpower.

that's all.

there's also nothing wrong with diagnosing yourself as willpowerless!!! sucking at something is the first step toward being kinda okay at something!

no one can look down at you for being honest with yourself either :flowerforyou:

I see what you're saying. But that's not at all the case with this guy. He's said he does eat out. He's not refusing to go to restaurants and scared to be near certain foods. And he said he's spends other time with them. He's just annoyed they constantly ask him to go eat at certain places.

I have lunch food ready to eat a work daily, when someone comes in and says "lunch on the boss, let's order Chinese," I do get a moment of frustration. Not because I can't find something appropriate to eat at the restaurant or don't have the willpower to sit around certain food; but because I already planned everything out and it's annoying to go switching up your diary and trying to figure out how to hit macros. Luckily it doesn't happen that often so I just adjust. But if it was a constant, I can see where the frustration comes from.

Not everyone's problem is willpower. Some people just prefer to keep what they planned.

THIS!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a post about White Castle. The OP said that we can fill in the blank with other similar options. He didn't want to go so he didn't go. He's not attached to them from the hip. Hopefully, they enjoyed their burgers and had a great time.

I think this is a non-issue. Some people inadvertantly food push and others do it intentionally. I don't see why that really matters. If you don't want it, don't eat it. If you want it, eat it. I doubt I would go to a restaurant with my own lunch (again, why?) Won't there be other lunches after the training or when the OP can plan for it? Perhaps I am a little cold but I wouldn't let anyone pressure me into going somewhere if I didn't want to go. If I'm not eating burgers why am I going to White Castle? I'll catch you later. WTH?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    OMG - I hear you!!! Yes, I've noticed that White Castle (and most any other restaurant) typically is SOOO not food journal friendly. And you're absolutely right - you can have your own food or something else and 5x more of it and better nutritional numbers for the same amount of calories!!

My sister keeps swearing that all the working out gets her so many extra calories. I keep reminding her that unless she's training for a marathon (like you are) or doing something like P90X (like my husband), then she has to be careful about what she has for those "extra calories".

When I was looking for a gym to go to, there was one right next door to a Dairy Queen. It wasn't going to help if I burned 250 calories at the gym to turn around and have a 350 calorie blizzard, and it was going to take a lot more time to burn that off then there was left in my day! (LOL - hope that made sense!!)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    beavislong wrote: »
    My friends were all going to White Castle today(insert any restaurant on any given day) and were giving me grief for not joining them. I looked at the nutrtition and was like no way. It is horrible there. I can eat my homemade low sodium soup, my veggies and my orange and have 5 times as much food for less than the calories of two sliders not to mention the nutrition benefits. They are like well you can run an extra few miles tonight. Yes, I could but I already have 9 miles planned as a part of my marathon training.

Sorry just ranting. Stay vigilant friends!

if you can incorporate it into your day hit your macros/micro/calorie targets then it is not that bad ...

and one lunch at whitecastle is not going to ruin your progress..

have not read the rest of the responses in this thread
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

You know what I find ridiculous...

My gym is planet fitness. On the first Monday of every month, they have pizza night.

Wtf? This is a gym... Why are you push pizza on me? Do we have black tar heron Friday?

Because you can incorporate pizza into your diet and still lose weight/be healthy. It's all about moderation.

Yes, but serving it AT the gym in beyond ridiculous. But, they are a for-profit business, so whatever it takes to get memberships and people in the door they'll do it.

May be ridiculous, but really, all things in moderation, even if it is served at a gym. I think people can eat pizza and still stay within healthy calorie amounts. Moderation is how we can achieve weight loss and, hopefully, sustain the loss

• tulips_and_tea
    Options

Same here. And, asking WHY he "can't" eat at White Castle. He CAN if he chose to. He chose NOT to. Why question that?

I didnt say the OP was scared. I answered a hypothetical question she posted about 'any person' and then she responded that my answer didn't fit the OP and then I facedesked.

Oh, my post wasn't directed to you. I knew what you meant and what question you were answering. Sorry if it appeared that way!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So you would rather miss time with your friends than to live life? This is about learning moderation so that you can enjoy a healthy life. You could have chosen to go with them and enjoy their companionship and made conscientious choices off the menu.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration 100%! I would love to go out with my friends more and eat since that's the "social" thing to do, but it's a shame so many places have yet to offer more nutritious options! What a shame our society places so much emphasis on feel-good food rather than the other wonderful aspects of life, such as going for a walk. Now I know the weather isn't always perfect, but my friends never seem excited about hikes, only going out to eat .-.