Can girls get 6 packs?

Options
Sooooo-
My boyfriend and I are discussing a challenge- see who can get a 6 pack first.
I remember a rumor that girls couldn't get 6 packs... but I think that is just a myth.
I want to know ( especially from the ladies rocking 6 packs) what works? How do you do it?
What do you eat? Lift? run? Ect.

I'm kinda competitive and I want abs for myself, so why not win a bet while I'm at it? ;)

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Sooooo-

He'll beat you hands-down :flowerforyou:
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    Haha, to be fair, he does have more weight around the stomach then I do. And he struggles with diet and doing cardio way more then me. But he has a lot of weight training dedication. I'm already in healthy weight range. But I know guys can loose weight so easily!

So it could be close.
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hehehe I kick my boyfriends *kitten* in challenges all the time! He can pretend its cause his letting me all he wants fact remains I won.

Mmmh my boyfriend has zero interest in a six pack sigh and I have a bigger tummy than he has (his naturally slim) and I'm convinced I can get a flat slightly defined stomach before he does (not all that into the full on 6/8 pack abs)

But yes girls can and do get abs all the time, it will be easier for some than others.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have the same competition with my bf, too bad he doesn't know it yet :)).
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options

So it could be close.

Well, I'll be rooting for ya. Good luck. Do it for the girls. Come on. Girl Power and all dat :laugh:
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It is genetically impossible for a women to have abs without being on steroids, at most doing its naturally girls can only have a 2 pack because of their xx chromosomes so the only way to get a six pack is to also have a y chromosomes which why some women will use steroids to get a 6 pack. Just kidding it is totally possible for girls to get 6 pack, girls can't get a 6 pack is a myth.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    just lose fat until u plateau then use methods to break it... cyclical dieting and intermittent fasting are popular,,,, just plain dieting is all u need until u hit the wall... u may have to bulk back up to build your core before cutting back down... so, this could be a 3 phase process
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So.. I've been running and doing sit ups.. Also IF (Intermittent fasting). I was also doing Insanity with my running. Side note though - I broke my foot a week ago and haven't done crap other than sit ups and push ups now..
  • grandevampire
    grandevampire Posts: 242
    Options
    Having a visible 6-pack is entirely a question of body fat. No matter how strong your abs/core are, if you BF% is not low enough, the 6-pack will not be "revealed". For a woman, a well-defined 6-pack comes at about 15% body fat (for a man, around 10%).

This article explains BF vs appearance very well.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Having a visible 6-pack is entirely a question of body fat. No matter how strong your abs/core are, if you BF% is not low enough, the 6-pack will not be "revealed". For a woman, a well-defined 6-pack comes at about 15% body fat (for a man, around 10%).

Great article, thanks!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I would personally disagree with that because I can see them in my abs depending on how I eat of course :)
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Yes they can but why would they ever want to?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I would personally disagree with that because I can see them in my abs depending on how I eat of course :)

Just curious, what is your height and weight.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    It is genetically impossible for a women to have abs without being on steroids, at most doing its naturally girls can only have a 2 pack because of their xx chromosomes so the only way to get a six pack is to also have a y chromosomes which why some women will use steroids to get a 6 pack. Just kidding it is totally possible for girls to get 6 pack, girls can't get a 6 pack is a myth.

hahaha I really thought you were serious while reading this. I was like, uh... no.... lmao :laugh:
    OP, it is definitely possible. Lift heavy and eat healthy.
  • grandevampire
    Options

Great article, thanks!

You've clearly succeeded at getting that 6-pack. Well done! Out of curiosity, how tall are you? From your ticker, I'm around the same weight range as you, similar goal, but trying to lose the fat, feed the muscle, yadda yadda. Wondering if I manage to lose a couple more lbs while maintaining my muscle if my midsection will start looking like yours. :P
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Yes they can but why would they ever want to?

Why would they not want to you mean? Maybe they want to because it looks freaking awesome? :noway:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

hahaha I really thought you were serious while reading this. I was like, uh... no.... lmao :laugh:
    OP, it is definitely possible. Lift heavy and eat healthy.

haha, me too. I was about to call broscience on him.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Sooooo-

Why are you two in such a hurry? It's not a race. Slow down and get him the 6 pack after you finish making him the sandwich.

I chuckled, had to reread the OP to see it.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Only if they buy me one first.

:flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    hubby's six pack images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFX7GyR0tDky-KLqq8VuUMBxD6ri-fiTjgI1jazTwZC8fZsuc4jQ
    my six pack6_pack_carrier_open_plain.jpg
    we got them at the same time