Options
    toning-150x150.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ^^^^apparently yes, they can.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Yeah great now I have even more girl 6 pack envy than I did before lol :grumble: :laugh:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Of course girls can! I used to have them. I didn't count calories at the time so I can't tell you the nutrition side of things. But I did 3 boxing classes a week, yoga, dance and pilates on off days and a 6-10 hour hike with decent elevation gain on the weekend, about 12-15 hours of excercise a week in addition to using my feet for transportation.

I don't have them now. I had a baby 3 years ago and only seem to manage about 5 hours excercise a week, mostly running. I'll be changing up my regimen after race season though.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Having a visible 6-pack is entirely a question of body fat. No matter how strong your abs/core are, if you BF% is not low enough, the 6-pack will not be "revealed". For a woman, a well-defined 6-pack comes at about 15% body fat (for a man, around 10%).

This article explains BF vs appearance very well.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

Great article, thanks!

You've clearly succeeded at getting that 6-pack. Well done! Out of curiosity, how tall are you? From your ticker, I'm around the same weight range as you, similar goal, but trying to lose the fat, feed the muscle, yadda yadda. Wondering if I manage to lose a couple more lbs while maintaining my muscle if my midsection will start looking like yours. :P

Thanks. I am 5'8"-5'9" and I currently weigh between 128-130 (I don't really know for sure as I have a giant effing cast on my foot at the moment). I started seeing my abs after starting the 1/2 marathon training and Insanity program - made it through about the first month of Insanity and about 20 miles a week.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you get skinny enough, you'll have a six pack. Women have, and need to have, more body fat than men, so it's going to be tougher for you. I'm not qualified to judge whether it's a healthy goal or not.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It is genetically impossible for a women to have abs without being on steroids, at most doing its naturally girls can only have a 2 pack because of their xx chromosomes so the only way to get a six pack is to also have a y chromosomes which why some women will use steroids to get a 6 pack. Just kidding it is totally possible for girls to get 6 pack, girls can't get a 6 pack is a myth.

Ha ha, got me!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yes women can get 6 packs. But it is ALL diet. Your BF% has to be <10% to start really seing them. As for an example... I give you Andrea Ager... CrossFit champion...

andrea.jpg
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    weights-doing-the-work-150x150.jpg

I want this sooo bad! *Drool*
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    In for the pics.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Yes they can but why would they ever want to?

Why would they not want to you mean? Maybe they want to because it looks freaking awesome? :noway:

I would say be very careful when trying to reduce bodyfat to those low levels to get a six-pack or four-pack or eight-pack, You don't want to burn off most of your muscle mass with extreme dieting, and then once you burn off your muscle mass, you still never get there.

I've seen guys make the mistake of trying to diet off their bodyfat just to get the highly adored six pack and lose tremendous amounts of muscle in the process, and for what purpose, to make a few panties wet when you post a picture on the internet?
  • itstartswithastep
    Options
    Yes of course, bodies are bodies. When I was a kid I had a six pack and oh how did I detest it! I used to get teased for my boyish body haha I would do anything for it again!
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Sure can! But how low your body fat needs to be to get a visible six pack varies. Some woman have to get down as low as 12% to achieve one. My abs start to show around 18-20%.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes! I had a sex pack until this winter. The sad part is, I've never counted calories or tracked my food, so I can't tell you the nutritional side (ironically, I know for a fact I was eating tons of carbs and bananas lol!) Anyway - My 6 pack was the result (I think) of 5-6 days per week of Muay Thai, Boxing, Krav Maga, and power walking.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    six-pack-150x150.jpgtrack-doing-the-work-150x150.jpg

It is totally possible to get a six pack, but the picture on the left is photoshopped, so please don't expect those results.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Why do women want to look like men?