Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure if you guys will be able to access the link (I can't access the site right now), but I think this is it. I think it's considered plate or stack loaded (can't remember the difference between the two). http://catalog.impex-fitness.com/images/mwm1800.pdf

And remember, it's not just me and my family members, I trust Sara's expertise as well. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you guys will be able to access the link (I can't access the site right now), but I think this is it. I think it's considered plate or stack loaded (can't remember the difference between the two). http://catalog.impex-fitness.com/images/mwm1800.pdf

And remember, it's not just me and my family members, I trust Sara's expertise as well. :)

if it comes down to one machine or campus gym, I would go with the campus gym every time..

you are going to make way better progress if you are bench pressing, deadlifting, squatting,etc….
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

That's a Wal-Mart special. Now, I do like the rear station with the captains chair, dip, and pullups but it's a massive waste of time for just about anything else.

Sara's program can help but there is no way to really make it what you really need it to be. Get to the campus gym and you'll be much happier.

ETA oh wait, the one with the dips and pullups is another model. The 1800 is just a waste of time.
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You have access to a campus gym and want to use ONE machine over it? Wow, I'm done, good luck guys with trying to convince him otherwise.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is just full of sad.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2015
    Options
    While I'm still waiting for the program, I have decided that I will ramp up my own training program in the meantime. I'm thinking this should be enough volume to get some stimulation.

My new routine:
    Mon - 3 sets bench press, 3 sets lat pulldown, 1 set reverse flyes, 2 sets bicep curls, 2 sets tricep extensions

Wed - 2 sets leg press, 2 sets leg curls, 1 set leg extension

Fri - Upper body repeat

Sun - Lower body repeat

Tue - Upper body repeat…
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That looks like it will take you 10-15 mins (5 mins on leg day!). I understand that you're waiting for a programme but in the meantime you could add a bit more volume. What about 3 sets on all those lifts or better yet, 5 sets. What are you really hoping to achieve with 1 set of reverse flyes, for example? I use that as an assistance exercise but I do 3 sets.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    While I'm still waiting for the program, I have decided that I will ramp up my own training program in the meantime. I'm thinking this should be enough volume to get some stimulation.

My new routine:
    Mon - 3 sets bench press, 3 sets lat pulldown, 1 set reverse flyes, 2 sets bicep curls, 2 sets tricep extensions

Fri - Upper body repeat

Sun - Lower body repeat

Tue - Upper body repeat…

Monday: 2 useful, 3 useless exercises

Wed - one semi useful two useless

Repeat spinning wheels or get to the gym.
  • ndj1979
    Options

My new routine:

Fri - Upper body repeat

Sun - Lower body repeat

Tue - Upper body repeat…

Monday: 2 useful, 3 useless exercises

Wed - one semi useful two useless

Repeat spinning wheels or get to the gym.

this..

go to the campus gym and use ALL the weights...
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    The set of reverse flyes is more so to make sure I don't get any forward rounding of my shoulders (I might already have a little). But since it sounds like this still wouldn't be enough volume for much growth, I will go ahead and make it 3 sets for all those upper body lifts.

As for legs, I think those three exercises are the only ones I can do the machine. I wanted to make sure my hamstrings get worked more than my quads (see this thread for the explanation http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10031889/hamstring-vs-quad-strength/p1 )

Do any of you think I could at least get 1 pound per month out of all this?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The set of reverse flyes is more so to make sure I don't get any forward rounding of my shoulders (I might already have a little). But since it sounds like this still wouldn't be enough volume for much growth, I will go ahead and make it 3 sets for all those upper body lifts.

As for legs, I think those three exercises are the only ones I can do the machine. I wanted to make sure my hamstrings get worked more than my quads (see this thread for the explanation http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10031889/hamstring-vs-quad-strength/p1 )

No.

ETA If you aren't doing the big compound exercises you won't be gaining weight very fast. Isolation exercises without compounds, unless you are a very advanced body builder, are a complete waste of gym time.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

No.
    So then it sounds like I'm still underestimating how much volume I need. At 3 sets of all upper body lifts in the 8-15 rep range, this would be between 48-90 reps of each exercise each week. Legs would be a little more if I make my rep range a little higher (which may be needed on something like leg curls given the 10 pound weight increments).
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »

It truly is. I don't think in the years I have been here and on BB that I have seen 1 individual make so many excuses while at the same time getting help from so many people that actually know their stuff. It's insane.

What's even more frustrating is the glimmer of hope he gives when he says "okay I'll do that" or whatever and a day later it's as if he never said it

Longest "trolling" thread I've seen on a forum in quite some time. Until he posts videos or photos of his results or suggestions put into action, I think this thread just needs to go away and not be spoken of again........

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

If that's the case (shoulders rounding), get to your campus gym. A barbell's going to sort your posture right out whereas a machine is probably going to make it worse.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »

It truly is. I don't think in the years I have been here and on BB that I have seen 1 individual make so many excuses while at the same time getting help from so many people that actually know their stuff. It's insane.

What's even more frustrating is the glimmer of hope he gives when he says "okay I'll do that" or whatever and a day later it's as if he never said it

Longest "trolling" thread I've seen on a forum in quite some time. Until he posts videos or photos of his results or suggestions put into action, I think this thread just needs to go away and not be spoken of again........

Agreed, I think I've finally seen the light and I'm going to put the troll feed bag away and just walk away quietly.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    seriously, I am disengaging from this thread.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Well, essentially I'm now being told to ignore the advice of a well respected member on here.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Well, essentially I'm now being told to ignore the advice of a well respected member on here.

Nice try, but no.