WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,276 Member
    Options
    Hiya all! :love:

Just caught up with my weight training. I thought it was going to slip by me, but dragged myself off the sofa (reading the Saturday paper) and up the stairs to do some weights and strength training. DH mowing the lawn.
    My hairdresser came this morning and I think it looks good. The blonde has been toned down a little so I look more classy! Then we went off to pay a visit to the church fete. It was blowing a gale and spitting with rain, so it really was a flying visit, but we bought a cake and some fudge (for DH) and feel we have done our civic duty! :bigsmile: A couple of the ladies from yoga were helping out on the cake stall and I met her new grandson.
    Katla - DH goes to watch the cricket. We have a county ground about 7 mins drive away and his daughters bought him club membership for a Christmas present. He used to be a good club player for many years and tutored a winning school side. I don't know which he is more passionate about, cricket or football. He still drives up to North London to watch his football team at least once a fortnight. But it is also part of his social life and that is so important as otherwise he is a bit of a homebody.

Fish chowder tonight (slimming version) with asparagus. Will get onto it as soon as I'm off here. Have lots of dill in the garden. Haven't dug up the garlic yet. Hope it's not too rainy tomorrow. The broad beans look just about ready now.

Love to Mary C - we are rooting for you.:heart:

Bye for now:flowerforyou:

Heather from blowy Hampshire UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to everyone. I read this morning so I am up to date. I am working a 12 hour shift ( work two a week) and on Saturdays not alot goes on so they are long. It has been hot here this last week and some interesting stroms in the evenings.. I just hate this hot weather and makes me just want to stay inside as much as possible.

Welcome to- Critter Sue (love that name) and Breezy. Glad to have you join us.

Michele- Thanks for the adivice to save my place. Will do that.

Liz- Good Luck with the new doctor. Mine left in April and so I started with another one in the clinic and got a call Thrusday that he is leaving the end of this month. So they set me up with another one. I have to have lab work done every three months and so when I go in the first thing I am going to ask him is how long does he plan on staying.

Heather- Thanks for sharing. My DH gives me lots of support for my anxiety. I also have problems in enclosed places and when alot of people are around. Seems the older I get the worse it gets. I say I do have to be soical as my husband is enough for both of us. I work with acouple people who have IBS and seems different things set each of theirs off. Good Luck with finding a way to help DH.

Molly- one thing I really like about this group is we can ask any question and get answers and not feel put down or dumb.

JB- Hope you have a good visit with your mom and family.

Connie- saying prayers for all those in CO. Thanks for keeping us up dated. I have a brother that lives just outside of Denver.

Kathy- hope the knee is better. I have trouble with mine. I fell on the ice last year and really messed it up. Doctor has injected it twice and since I have lost weight it does feel better. I know I do not want to have surgery until I can not walk at all.

Keatsgeckos- congrates on the grappling class.

Robin- sorry the loan fell thru. We spend so much time at work that when some one is not easy to work with it makes it so much worse. I know some days I spend alot of time in the restroom praying.

Joyce- Your MIL and DH are so LUCKY to have you. Family brings out the good and bad. Just remember you do what is right and are there. That means alot.

Well hope we all have a good day. and Remember One Day at a Time.

Vicki-GI Nebraska
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies:flowerforyou:
    Just a quick check in before I go to a bridal shower.
    Goodness!! much going on and many I want to post too

The airplane situation is somewhat solved.Researched the planes,seat size and I feel more comfortable with what is expected now.
    My baby (my DD who is having the surgery) is in Colorado and the fores are horrible she said.
    I will be there soon one way or another.:happy:

Hang in there and keep logging.
    Molly in sunny West Virginia
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

I could use a little help from this wonderful group - everyone please send good thoughts & prayers to my niece's adorable 8 yr old daughter, Mariah, who has just been diagnosed with a brain tumor :cry: and will be going in for surgery on Tuesday. The neurosurgeon told my niece this morning that the tumor looks on the benign side - let's hope. It's all very frightening.

Be well and enjoy your day, it's a beautiful sunny one here.

:smile: jb in Portland
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Last night we had a family reunion…had a nice time catching up with my brother, my nephew and his family. It was a BBQ with delicious food; I had small portions, and was only slightly over my daily calories. Today, another nephew is a college graduate and there is a celebration party this afternoon, I am looking forward to seeing even more family.

Kathy, congrats on the de-cluttering…something on my list to do!
    Katla…hope you have a wonderful time with your son!!
    Molly – glad you are feeling more comfortable about your travel.

Have a great week-end everyone,
    Terri (from Oregon)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Yes, my SIL is the baby of the family. It was a dysfunctional family. DH is the oldest. His parents divorced when he was in the navy. The new stpe mom had 5 kids and one of them accused DH youngest brother of sexual assault when he was a older teenager. So when he was 18 he was out of the house and has been married several times and several long live in relationships. He finally is in a good marriage. SIL was very torn with two Moms that she loved. But both her and the one BIL before mentioned saw their Mom in her worst mental state. Older BIL and DH didn't see that. I think that may be one reason why the two of them still keep Mom in their lives. Love wasn't something that was expressed much in that family at any time so I think they take care of Mom out of duty. I on the other hand came from a Southern Baptist preachers home, 5 kids, and love for anything and anybody.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, Joyce in Indiana
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Just checked in as was logging my lunch.
    jb Portland- Prayers to you and your family over Mariah's health issuses. God does good work.

Joyce- you are one speical lady. DH and his family are Blessed to have you a part of things. My dad was married 3 times and there of 11 of us and I try to get along with everyone. Not always easy but God helps me alot.

Slow afternoon here at the hospital, guess that is a good thing, sure makes the 12 hours go slow. My DH came to have lunch with me and says it is getting hot out. I hope it cools off before I get off as we are to meet our son and family out at the lake for supper. Have a good afternoon ladies.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, all-

I made it back into the pool this morning, and I feel wonderful! I hope you all are having great days and enjoying life. That's what this journey is all about, isn't it?

So, I made a decision about this calorie thing, I am going to wait until Tuesday morning and see how weigh-in goes. If I am still stuck or gained, I am going to lower my daily goal to 1450. What do you think?

Jb- I am so sorry to hear about Mariah, she will certainly be in my prayers.

Joyce- You are an awesome DIL- You certainly do not ever have to apologize for being a good person. Your SIL will eventually realize what she has done, but she will be way too late. That's her issue, not yours. You just continue being YOU, because you are a blessing!

I hope everyone near the Co fires are safe, and that those fires will be contained soon. It is so scarey.

Have a good day, everyone. Pat
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Meg........thanks for explaining Runza.........never heard of that before, but the dish sounds a little like what we called "blind pidgeons", except no dough, a hamburger,green pepper,and seasoned rice mixture wrapped in cabbage leaves and simmered or baked in a tomato sauce.

jb........will be thinking of your niece

Horrible accident took the life of one of DD's co-workers from the music library (22---just graduated, was still there to start on Masters) at her college; another good friend of DD was driving and is injured, DD drove up to see her in ICU the next day. The injured girl had only just gotten her permit; blew a stop sign and got hit by a truck. No drugs or alcohol involved. Older people in the truck; the man was killed and his wife is severly injured. Too awful for words.

Had DH pick a place to eat for Father's Day...........looks like barbque. He is now done the mowing and I need my hot chocolate fix.

yanniejannie
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon wonderful ladies,

I've been reading and trying to catch up with everyone. Thank you all for sharing your lives, thoughts & struggles. You are an amazing bunch of women.

jb - I will be praying for Mariah. God has a plan for her.

All of those that are affected by the terrible fires in Colorado are in my prayers as well.

I've been battling a migraine for the past 3 days so this post will be a short one. I lost 1.6 lbs this week bringing my total up to just over 40 lbs. Still a long way to go. One day at a time :smile:

I have been really good with my June goals. Drinking enough on the weekends seem to be my downfall.

I do hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday. It's warm & sunny here.

Sandy in Ontario

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JB: Your niece’s daughter and family are in my prayers, as is her surgeon. I pray that all his skills are at their peak for her surgery. Eight is so young to have to undergo surgery and your family must be struggling to keep a positive outlook and not give in to fear. I’m sure that is how I’d be feeling.:flowerforyou:

Phoo: I’ve stuck with the calories MPF assigns me. Sometimes I end up under my calorie allotment after the exercise calories are deducted. It works, although my weight does fluctuate and I’ve had LOTS of plateaus. The nice thing about losing at a slower pace is that my body has time to adjust and I don’t have a lot of loose skin. I think being impatient during this process is counter-productive. We need to change our whole lifestyle so it isn’t just another round of yoyo dieting.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I’m sorry that tragedy has touched the lives of DD’s coworker. It is heartbreaking for everyone.:flowerforyou:

Everything here is in readiness for DS and DDIL to visit. I have no idea when to expect them, but I’m excited that they’re coming. I even made our family‘s favorite clam dip. I made a change and wonder how long it will take people to notice that I left out the salt. The ingredients except onions are salty enough, especially the clams.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

June goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Just got back from the Grand Ol Opry gospel music hour!!!!! Not really. But the retirement complex my Mom lived in before she died does this every year. It was fun. Some of these old people can really lip sync pretty good. And since it was the old gospel songs a lot of them 'sang' with expression and you knew they meant what they were 'singing'. They were all dresses up just like they would be at the Opry. One was dressed up as Hank Williams and had Hank on his guitar strap, one used his harmonica. Then there were a couple of kids groups that are grand kids of employees. They have practiced for months and you could tell it. It was a shame that one of the news stations wasn't there. Who says old people can't have any fun. This was the first time I had been there since Mom died and we cleaned out her apartment and I'm glad I was there for the whole thing especially this young 12 year old girl that really liked Mom sing a song and dedicate it to Mom. The kids sang and didn't lip sync. they didn't have any snack so I didn't have any temptation.

Joyce
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,744 Member
    Options
    afternoon folks,
    just got home, DH and I went over to pick up my FIL and take him to the cemetery and out to lunch,we went to low end steakhouse(remember Bonanza) called American Steakhouse, tried to get a kids cheeseburger and they wouldnt let me have it. so got a regular one and the salad bar.. ate 2/3 of the burger half the bun,with pickles and tomato.. then had a wee bit of salad, had some sliced orange-that really hit the spot and about 1/2 up of cottage cheese and a glass of water.
    My FIL really enjoyed his meal and we got him a slice of lemon meringue pie for later, and of course his Father's day card..he was especially happy to get to the cemetery,he hasn't been up there since last fall.nobody takes him anywhere except us..
    will probably get up early and make my dad some banana bread for father's day he likes baked goodies.. and the boys(Homer and Chester) got dad a card for father's day:wink:
    Hoping the battery on my fit bit is finally charged.have been without it all day and using my pedometer..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: .Katla, you are absolutely right that driving to Seattle is an adventure and a chore……it’s such a beautiful drive and we tell each other that the other people on the road, bridge, or ferry are on vacation from other states and have saved their money all year just to be able to take the drive that we take often. We used to live in Eureka, California five hours north of San Francisco and driving to the “city” for a medical appointment usually involved two nights in a hotel…..compared to that, our trips to Seattle are easy. We love living out in the boonies and know that we pay the price for it by our long drives from time to time for medical care or baseball games….about a Fathers’ Day gift for DH---is there a chore he needs to have done that he dreads? Could you do it for him or hire someone to do it for him?

:flowerforyou: Heather, I need your motivation to get back to my weight training. I made it a goal this month, but so far have done nothing except my daily plank.

:brokenheart: Jb, sorry to hear about your niece’s daughter…will be thinking healing thoughts for her.

:bigsmile: Terri, congrats on your healthy eating at the BBQ

:flowerforyou: Phoo, I looked at your food diary and you are already keeping your calories very low…..before you do anything, consider adding a lot more vegetables and lean meat.

:bigsmile: This has been a sort of a restful day for me----slept late, walked dogs, spent time taking care of little chores that haven’t been done while I was so busy dancing. ...a visit to Costco where I ate two snacks....a visit to Home Depot to buy a new doorbell for Jake to install (our current doorbell has a sign next to it that says "Doorbell broken, please knock on the door":laugh: Eating has been “find and fix it” so one of my meals was a huge serving of pumpkin (cooked and frozen last fall) and steamed frozen broccoli with Smart Balance spread.

:heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else: you are the one who gets burned”---Buddha

June Resolutions (with week two updates)
    *dig out the rest of the back yard flower bed that’s full of rocks and terrible dirt (Jake started it, but I’ve done nothing)
    *be agreeable---say “OK” (excellent, so far)
    *strength training once a week (nothing yet)
    *act the way I want to feel (excellent, so far)

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi Hi Hi. Busy day today. We got up early and went to the farmers’ market. We got some great stuff…chinse spinach (looks like spinach but it’s red), huge radishes, tomatoes both red and yellow, some HOT salsa, pumpernickel bread, flowers, a mesh bag, and DH got a filled long john that is like 3” wide and 7 “ long or something like that. I will have one bite, but that’s way too sweet for me.

I got 4 chapters done on the test bank and now I’m waiting for our salmon to be cooked. We are eating outside tonight….so nice out right now. We had storms last night and got nearly 3” of rain in an hour. Nothing too severe, but we left the outdoor concert early because of the lightening.

After an hour walk downtown, I went for another walk here in the neighborhood.

Grandmallie: hope you woke up refreshed today

Jane; great job on getting that walk in!

Michele: you sounded tired too; hope you got some rest!

Brooke: I have been watching the fire news with great interest. I’m so glad it rained some and cooled down. Stay safe. How near to you are they?

Barbie: sounds like you had a wonderful evening/night and sounds like that Jake is a real keeper!!!

Katla; hope you have a wonderful visit with your son

Breezy: welcome to our site, just call me “seasoned” not older LOL

Joyce: depending on the source you use, you need to fast 8-12 hours prior to a lipid panel. 8 hours would be the minimum

Mary: I’ll pray with you about DH! Good news on the weight loss, but I agree stress is not the way to do it! I wish you peace.

KathY: sending you virtual sunshine

Heather: ooooh fish chowder. I’m on my way!

Vicki: did you have storms last night?

Jb “sending as many good wishes and prayers as I can for your niece

Pat I agree with waiting to see what happens on weight in day

Yanniejannie: that’s horrible about the accident. I hope the young lady recovers

Sandy: a pox on your migraine and I hope you feel better soon

Well sorry this is short but I think my salmon is about ready! Take care, Meg
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Going for walk with hubby.
    Hope ur enjoying ur sat.

HUGS
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Here's Mariah, busy making cookies last fall. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. :flowerforyou:

For those of you who missed my earlier post, my grand-niece Mariah has just been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Surgery is scheduled for Tues.

mariah.jpg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Such a pretty girl! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your niece. So young to have to go through such a traumatic situation. This is just a short note to let you all know I have read up to here and really appreciate everyone on this thread.

Rita from Tennessee.
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Such a beautiful young lady. Hopes and prayers that the tumor is benign.