WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I finally got back to the pool after not going for a whole week because I overdid it last week. Took my favorite Water Zumba class and was happy to find out that I was missed. :smile: Even with the note from doc, DH still ended up driving for 8 hrs. :noway: :grumble: It seems like he will be referred to an eye doc, since his eye still looks horrible and the other one is starting to look bad. It doesn't seem like pinkeye though and now it's hard for him to keep it open. Unless it's way better in the morning, I'm going to try to convince him not to go to work. Hopefully whatever it is, it's not contagious because even though I washed towels and washrags, I forgot about pillowcases and yep I swiped his pillow after he got up this am. :frown: On a fun note, I went to one of my favorite stores, Bath and Body Works, and stocked up on shower gels which were on sale for $3 each plus I had a coupon! :smile:

Off to bed, nighty night!

Kathy in less humid IL :drinker:

Gail - Good idea about healthcare power of attorneys for each other! I've thought of that in the past and then just forgot to act on it! I think it's just a matter of getting the right forms to fill out, going to add this to my to-do-list for tomorrow!
  • thisisitfinally
    thisisitfinally Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MY MIGRAINES ARE GONE!!!

Wow - typed that in caps because all caps things I read aloud in my head and they make my head hurt but not any more :)

Good morning to all you wonderful, amazing women from almost sunny South Africa, here in Cape Town where a berg wind is blowing (it means a wonderful Cape Storm on its way with sound effects, wind and rain). We had yesterday off work as 16 June is a public holiday.

I spent the day proactively and got things done that had been malingering in my inbasket. Feels good! Also spent time on my further education (learning how to use AutoCAD and starting with Revit). Today is back to work to a job that I will most certainly not be doing this time next year --- because life is simply too short to be stuck in a rut when I could be designing.

Staying in ketosis has made a difference - sugars are negligible and yep, migraines gone so its working for me. Also my joints are not so achy and even looking forward to some exercise 30kg down in my future.

You women are an inspiration and your challenges are reasonable: thank you one and all for sharing, encouraging and just being on this message board.

Wishing you a wonderful week, filled with victories :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We keep putting off doing our will, power of attorney for health care, living will. Our pharmacy lets me call in all of our prescriptions and pick them up. My Mom did that for us, POA and will, long before she needed it. She just knew she wanted to take care of all of those life decisions before they HAD to be done and knew that she would have a say in the,. Through the years she did make adjustments. but she made them.And in the end when she was dying we knew we were doing what our dear Mom wanted. Dad never ever discussed anything with Mom. She never knew anything about insurance plans, how to write a check, anything. It was such a shock to all of us to have to help her through all of that. She showed us how much she loved us by doing it before she needed to have it done.

It's funny, my MIL was in a group home one time after she got out of the State Hospital and they local mental health society helped them all do that and all the funeral preplanning. In her planning my Dad is supposed to be her preacher at the funeral. My Dad has been dead since 1998.

Joyce
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all!

I have been awol from this site for weeks - a combination of travel and being very busy at home and at work. I have missed chatting with you all and also, the discipline of logging my food and exercise. I've managed to stay away from the foods that tempt me (for the most part) but it's sure easier when I have the positive feedback from this group. I did somehow lose another 2 pounds along the way, though!

I will go back a few pages and try to catch up a little. I hope that everyone has been well and that summer has been good to you so far!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I have so much to say:bigsmile: and no time to say it:sad: !!! I `ve read all the post and I`m wishing everyone well!!!!

Michele:smile: When is the wedding???? Soon, right?

Have a wonderful day beauties!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cloudy maybe rainy later NC:frown:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    up and to the gym early- then cooked chicken for the DH and Homer cause he is a picky picky dog :wink:
    showered,dogs walked.. and hopefully I will be skyping with my DD and GD in a bit
    Hope everyone is having a good day...
    up a couple of lbs but had 2 slices of veggie pizza yesterday,so the sodium was alot im sure.. not to worry.. I dont stress about it anymore, I know I am losing the right way ...:bigsmile:
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies, hope everyone has a great day, weighed in this am and I'm down 1 pound so I'm happy about that and

today is my birthday so it was a pleasant surprise. Got my family getting me the special plants I would like

for my garden rather than going out to eat, so I'll have them to look at all summer instead of extra weight

I don't need . So am looking forward to a lovely day!

Thoughts and Prayers going to those in need especially for Mariah and her operation today

Congrats to all those who are losing weight or staying the same that's a big victory its self

Juanita in sudbury
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies -

Was up at 4:30 this morning and got my workout on the elliptical in. Had a good day yesterday w/logging all food and was under my calorie goal.

Well, we are scheduled for more showers here in Delaware, so no dry out yet.

Have you ever had a book you can't put down? I'm currently reading The Search, by Nora Roberts. Real easy read and I hope to finish up tonight to see how it ends.

Be well,
    Suzy
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Juanita .......... HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    shouting so you can hear me

Thinking of Mariah, as I'm sure many of us are

HIPPA???................such absolute BS; one of the worst laws ever.......esp. when coupled with by-the -book and drunk with power healthcare workers............I had one male nurse refuse to speak to me regarding my mom's test results, despite the POA paperwork on her chart----total dementia, and I was her only child, at that point known to the hospital staff and had been "in the biz" myself........I still steam thinking of that *kitten*

Could go on for hrs. about that...........on the other hand, I asked my DD how she got into ICU to see her friend.......she said she waltzed in behind a maintance worker and just "acted like she belonged there"...........
    PS..saying you are the patients "spiritual advisor" will get you in an ICU also---helpful hint, as thay don't ask to see your divinity degree.........

Could write much more; no time. One of the former women from my exercise group (which I actually got to yesterday) has been diagnosed with lung Ca..........making her some soup to take her, need to mail stuff to my DD and forward neighbor's mail and movie on the agenda later. My upper back is so sore; did some 10lb. bells last night; way sorry this am...........

Take care
    yanniejannie
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday good-news-day! :flowerforyou: I'm hoping for verrrrrrrry good news about Mariah's surgery. She's in the OR now so we won't know anything until later this afternoon. I'm scared to death and can only imagine how her parents are feeling.

All of my issues seem so insignificant at a time like this. But I'll report that I'm down 1.5 of the few pounds I've been battling with. Walked a mile at 4.6 mph yesterday and jogged a couple of laps at 5.8 mph, although I had to take a few walk breaks. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my speed. :noway: Off to the track in a couple of minutes for another go. If I jog a little slower maybe I'll be able to make a full lap without walking. :tongue:

Phoo, that was cute what you said about being a sea turtle :bigsmile: The fact that you're doing it is the most important thing! The more we move, the better we feel. Funny how it works like that. You don't care much for veggies? Poor thing! I guess you'll have to keep forcing yourself :wink: since greens are some of the most important things we can eat. Roasted vegs are yummmmmmy!

Busy day ahead, I'd better get moving. Thank you all for your continued prayers for Mariah. :heart:

Happy Birthday Juanita!:flowerforyou:

:smile: jb in Portland
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Thank you for all of your support over this last week while I whined and sniveled over gaining weight. With your help I registered a 3.2 loss this week! :laugh: :love:

Happy Birthday, Juanita! :flowerforyou:

Jb- Still sending prayers for Mariah! Got the Stephen's Ministry group at church involved yesterday, so she and her family have lots of prayers coming from Green Valley, Az! Faith works miracles.....this I know is true.
    I know, also, that I will have to suffer through eating the vegies, but they are all so much better when dipped in batter and deep-fried!! :laugh:

Have lots to do today, so I will check back in later. Take care and Be Well, my friends.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Jb , hoping for good news.:flowerforyou:

Juanita - Happy Birthday! :heart:

I have just got back from my lymphatic therapy. We always have a good chat and I was telling her how much I value you ladies.:love:

I was almost late for yoga this morning as DH had a bad anxiety attack in the early morning and I had to talk him down. He has gone off to watch an evening game of cricket now so I'm sure he will be feeling better. I asked our yoga teacher if there was a group that men went to nearby. There is, but she suggested a one to one male teacher that she goes to. DH did seem quite interested in that idea, so now I have planted the seed . . . .:wink: He has his new CBT therapy on Thursday.

I didn't sleep brilliantly either with an aching leg and agitating about this weekend party. I know I will enjoy it once I get there, but I am always the same with anticipating a journey or an event. At least I can convince myself it will all be worth it while DH is convinced he is going to break down altogether. My leg was aching through tension. I tend to get that like other people get headaches.

As DH is out of the way I have a HOT :laugh: spinach and paneer curry ready for this evening and a programme I recorded on the Tv that I know he wouldn't like. It's a real weepy called Long Lost Families. As DH was adopted it would all be a bit much for him. We are meeting his real twin sister up in London next week and I'm sure that is one of the things that is stirring him up. They were adopted separately and he did not know anything about her until he was 47. We meet about once a year now. I am chaperoning him because he hates the Underground, but will leave them both for a couple of hours at an art exhibition while I go across the road to have late breakfast with my friend at one of my favourite places, The Wolseley. It has lovely 1910 decor. Then we head up to Fenton House in Hampstead and end up in Pizza Express with our coupons! They do 500 calorie pizzas with salad in a hole in the middle!

Just got to get this weekend out of the way first. One of the things that is worrying me is the 4 ft 6 ins bed at the bed and breakfast place. We have a 6 ft and even then sometimes have to separate because we are such bad sleepers. I have a feeling we wont be able to survive a third night and might make the decision to make a break for home! It's about a 3 hr drive.

Well, I'm going to enjoy having the evening to myself. Must get the tissues out for the programme :sad:

Love, Heather from muggy Hampshire :drinker:
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow, this group has so many postings! Fun to read, but I had to take a break--started last pm and just finished now. My June goals are cast away for now. I spent 10 days in hospital for GI bleeding, so was off MFP almost the whole time. Of course, I had IV fluids instead of food for 6 of those days. Two more days of just clear liquids--can you say "sick of broth and jello"? So now my goals are to eat extra protein, keep fiber above 30 grams per day, and build up my activity tolerance. I did make it to onederland for the first time in about 32 years, but not the way I'd planned!

Jeri from sunny, warm western Illinois
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Juanita, congrats on losing 1 lb :flowerforyou:

jp – you & all of Mariah’s family are in my prayers. I know how scary it is when kids are sick. :frown:

Suzy – what an early bird, congrats on being under your calorie goal. I love Nora Roberts, I’ll have to check out that book

thisisitfinal – yay that the migraines are gone. I suffer terribly with them so I feel your pain.

grandmallie – what a great attitude towards the scale. I would be so disappointed to see it move up instead of down. Sodium has always been my nemesis, I have to work hard at keeping it down. I’ve never been much of a sweets girl, but salt…yikes :noway:

I have been really good at my June goals. Though I am convinced that the reason we lose weight when we drink more water is actually because there are so many trips to the bathroom. It’s getting better as my body adjusts to the extra water but wow I feel like I’m in the bathroom every 5 minutes :laugh:

My attention this week is to my sodium intake. I think it killed me last week, my rings were a bit tighter and my ankles were terribly swollen.

Back to work….I hope everyone has a wonderful day, keep drinking your water (I don’t want to suffer alone :wink: )

Sandy in Ontario
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

I've missed you! We had a terrible wind storm here, in Richmond VA, on Thursday afternoon. :frown: We got our electricity back on Saturday and got cable, phone and internet on Sunday afternoon! I did a great job staying on track though! Hopefully I'll get a chance to catch up on all the posts this evening.:bigsmile:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday to everyone. I got home last evening and my roof is done. House and garage. Looks really nice and I am so glad to have that done. Not sure when they will come do the siding. Guess they are still trying to match. Then a friend from CMA showed up and had brought supper. Had a nice visit and meal. Now today working another 12 hour shift and glad to be inside as getting hot and muggy outside.

Joyce- Glad your mom is happy in her new home. My DH and I when we fill out papers at the doctor or anywhere we always make sure to put each other on them the papers. I work at a hospital and the new HIPPA drives me crazy. Each hospital does it different.

Connie- Sounds like you are keeping busy. I have alot of projects I want to get done, but I get on the computer and end up on the games and the next thing I know the day is over.

Tigress- Congrates on the weight loss.

Eileen- Hope you enjoy all your company. Understand how hard your mom's Birthday was. It will be 14 years tomorrow that we lost our oldest son. I still have trouble with his birthday. And his younger daughter was born 3 days after he passed.

Critter Sue- Congrates on the weight loss. Remeber One day at a time-One pound at a time

Barbie-good luck with your tests. Sorry you have to waite so long to see the doctor.

Juanita- Happy Birthday, hope you are doing something special just for you.

jb- thinking and praying for Mariah and your family

Phoo-Great weight loss

Heather- glad you are enjoying your evening alone and the movie. Pray you have a good trip.

Jeri- glad you are out of the hospital. Feel better soon

thisisitfinal- Glad your migraine is gone. I used to get them and would go to the ER and get a shot. I would sleep for several hours but would be gone when I woke up. No fun.

I sure enjoy reading and keeping up with everyone. Have a good afternoon. and be good to yourselves.

Blessings,
    Vicki gi Nebraska
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies - I haven't had a chance to check in with you all for weeks and I'm so far behind on all the posts. Just back from vacation, which was wonderful despite catching the flu (which is now a full blown cold, but no more fever chills and aches thank goodness). I missed pages and pages of posts that I doubt I'll have time to catch up on so I'll just start from here. I miss my VitF pals on this thread.

So pleased I managed to maintain and not gain (although I'm sure getting sick was a factor)

Hope all is going well for you guys

for those struggling - here is a big virtual hug for you

Hope to catch up with individual posts once I'm settled back into my normal routine and feeling better

Jodios from sunny N. Il
  • Freefatty
    Freefatty Posts: 9
    Options
    This looks like a great board! Lots of inspiration! I just started so not much to say... just wanted to check in and ask:

What is DH? :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A story about challenges:
    Awhile back I joined a challenge that was a group so I knew when I started that there were already over 100 members of the group starting the challenge. I started the challenge a few days late. By the time the challenge ended, there were only five of us and none of us was among the original 100+ members. Very few people seem to last through a challenge so if you are able to do that, even if you miss a day or two or don’t do a perfect job, you are still among the very small percentage of “winners

:bigsmile: I joined a squat challenge this week that was started by Rita from Tennessee and has several other women from our Vitamin F family. Here is the link to the challenge:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1016966-let-s-motivate-each-other-4-week-squat-challenge-6-12-13

:heart: Barbie from sunny and rainy NW Washington