New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,650 Member
    Options
    cocates wrote: »
    Lord007 wrote: »
    yourad0rk wrote: »
    I've been on a bit of a protein hype the past few weeks and was really looking around for some good bars and found Quest Bars, I bought the 'Cookies and Cream' and 'Double Chocolate Chunk'. They're horrible, they taste like artificial sweetener and salt, and I can never stomach more than half a bar in one sitting, I've found that they're more palatable when cold, although that means they're harsh on your teeth. But despite all that, they're really good for you, and not a bad (even if horrid tasting) filling snack for on the go.

I'm interested in trying the Quest Protein chips though, and have bought some BBQ flavoured ones which I'm still waiting on in the post. Fingers crossed they taste better than the bars, and also better than 'Protein Bites' by Novo which carry a very strange taste regardless of flavour.

I've tried the Quest Protein chips. The Sea Salt is the best of the 4. For only 120 calories with 21g protein, it's a very good alternative to regular chips/ I've bought those on several occasions. :) I'll pass on the others

+1; the others are okay, but the Sea Salt is the best. IMO.

The cheddar and sour cream are my favorite. I don't even like sea salt in regular chips.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I've been on a bit of a protein hype the past few weeks and was really looking around for some good bars and found Quest Bars, I bought the 'Cookies and Cream' and 'Double Chocolate Chunk'. They're horrible, they taste like artificial sweetener and salt, and I can never stomach more than half a bar in one sitting, I've found that they're more palatable when cold, although that means they're harsh on your teeth. But despite all that, they're really good for you, and not a bad (even if horrid tasting) filling snack for on the go.

I'm interested in trying the Quest Protein chips though, and have bought some BBQ flavoured ones which I'm still waiting on in the post. Fingers crossed they taste better than the bars, and also better than 'Protein Bites' by Novo which carry a very strange taste regardless of flavour.

I've tried the Quest Protein chips. The Sea Salt is the best of the 4. For only 120 calories with 21g protein, it's a very good alternative to regular chips/ I've bought those on several occasions. :) I'll pass on the others

The cheddar and sour cream are my favorite. I don't even like sea salt in regular chips.
    I liked these too! I've tried those, vinegar, and bbq. The only ones I really hated were the vinegar chips.

• cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options

The cheddar & sour cream are probably my #2. BBQ was my least favorite - they left an after taste. I don't like 'regular' vinegar chips either. Weird.
  • glassyo
    Options

The cheddar & sour cream are probably my #2. BBQ was my least favorite - they left an after taste. I don't like 'regular' vinegar chips either. Weird.

The only other two I tried were the sour cream and onion which tasted a little bit off but not so much they're still weren't good. The other flavor was the bbq and i probably would have liked them if I liked bolder flavors.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    busicepufj0u.jpg

this is extremely good, super thick, 124 cals
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Yep...the new peanut butter chocolate poptarts and Boston cream pie toaster strudels. :p

OMG I'm going to pretend I didn't know they exist. I still miss the brown sugar and cinnamon pop tarts.
  • glassyo
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »
    Yep...the new peanut butter chocolate poptarts and Boston cream pie toaster strudels. :p

OMG I'm going to pretend I didn't know they exist. I still miss the brown sugar and cinnamon pop tarts.

Special K brown sugar and cinnamon pastry crisps. 100 calories for 2. Verrrrry close to the taste of a poptart.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    busicepufj0u.jpg

this is extremely good, super thick, 124 cals

Oh I need these! But by the way 'danone' is spelled it doesn't look like it's in the US :(

Special K brown sugar and cinnamon pastry crisps. 100 calories for 2. Verrrrry close to the taste of a poptart.

Love those! I found the cinnamon toaster strudels disappointing though.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

yes, i like the pastry crisps as a whole but i don't find them very satisfying
  • bigme3505
    bigme3505 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Epic bars. I use them on the bike. To me, they are much better than gels and such. I was skeptical about the texture and taste, but to me they are great.

https://epicbar.com/bars-overview
  • Francl27
    Options
    bigme3505 wrote: »
    Epic bars. I use them on the bike. To me, they are much better than gels and such. I was skeptical about the texture and taste, but to me they are great.

https://epicbar.com/bars-overview

I'm still a bit dumbfounded about those. I guess I don't really see the point when you can just have chicken. If I'm on the go, I'd rather have a sweet protein bar.

I got my snickerdoodle and pumpkin spice Lenny and Larry's cookies... the chocolate chip ones are shipping soon. Can't try them today because I won't have the calories for them, but hopefully soon. Thanks Vitamin Shoppe for a great sale, now I'm stocked up for a few months. I'm curious because I really love the white chocolate macadamia ones.
  • bigme3505
    Options
    I wouldn't want them for en everyday snack, but during endurance exercise I love them. They are not messy like gels can be, and they are the closest thing to real food I have found that works on long rides. Most on-the-bike stuff is highly processed and full of all sorts of weird ingredients that aren't the easiest to digest. I admit, the Epic bars are an oddity, but they work for me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    bigme3505 wrote: »
    I wouldn't want them for en everyday snack, but during endurance exercise I love them. They are not messy like gels can be, and they are the closest thing to real food I have found that works on long rides. Most on-the-bike stuff is highly processed and full of all sorts of weird ingredients that aren't the easiest to digest. I admit, the Epic bars are an oddity, but they work for me.

I guess I'm just confused because they have twice the calories and half the carbs, which seems like it would be a downfall during an endurance race. I get that they less messy, but it seems like even just a standard granola bar could be better. (Although, I'm completely not an endurance athlete, so just theory here.) And that said, glad you found something you really like for your rides.

How are the taste of them? The meat and fruit combo just sounds odd to me.
  • bigme3505
    Options
    They aren't ideal for short, intense efforts for sure. But for longer rides (which I'm fond of) where you start needing some protein, they work well. You still need another source of carbs, but these are a nice change of pace.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

A lot of the new ones sound really interesting.

I really want to try Epic Bars.

WB Kitchen looks really interesting too.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I seen these at Wal-Mart today

cookies-new-crunchy-sugar-cookie.png
  • Francl27
    Options
    I seen these at Wal-Mart today

cookies-new-crunchy-sugar-cookie.png

I've seen those but haven't tried them yet. They have chocolate chip too.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    22531939255_6acbf0f44b_z.jpg

Might be a Wal-Mart exclusive flavor (found on Impulsive Buy)

Definitely not buying these since most of the recent M&M flavors have either been disappointing or I get sick of the flavor after a few handfuls.